Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Evil Jr.

Interesting New OCA Event Organizer Detail

So, I was just poking through the shiny new Expression of Interest form to submit for the Good Friday Road Race and came upon this paragraph:

Quote Originally Posted by OCA
    For 2012, the organizer of record within the group hosting an event must hold an Ontario UCI license with the ORG designation. In order to receive this designation, the license holder must have passed a provincial level commissaire’s course within the discipline of the event being organized. If the organizer does not purchase a 2012 license before their full Event Permit is due, their event will be immediately removed from the calendar.
    So, if I read that right, it means that there are suddenly going to be a lot more qualified Commissaires out there for 2012. I, for instance, am not a Road Commissaire so, I'm now technically not permitted to be Race Director unless I do the two-day course.

Presumably, this applies to everything from DH to BMX to CX so... wow!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

sock puppet
    i guess they need to pad their budget for 2012...

All my faucets is Moen.
    So they're changing the roll of the Commissionaire?

From what I understand, in the past the organizer has set up the event and the Commie advises on safety and UCI/CCA/OCA conformity. Now the Commie is useless unless they are organizing an event for the club.

If we're all Commissaries and run safe events following UCI guidelines, what do we need the OCA for and can they say a rogue event is unsafe if the organizer is trained in their "school"?

Since I am a race director for the SHCC I was hoping to take the Commie course this past summer for MTB but they didn't have any. IIRC they held only 1 course for the road and that was in August.

Evil Jr.
    Perhaps the most interesting thing about it is that I'd already filled out the 2012 Expression of Interest form which WAS due today but late last week, I got this new "Version 1.05" that's due on November 14th.

I was scanning the new one to see what the difference was and THAT was it!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

All my faucets is Moen.
    So is someone in the HCC a Commissaire or is the Good Friday Race not going to happen in 2012?

Evil Jr.
    We have a Road Commissaire on the executive so I'm sure we'll figure something out but I don't think he was planning on being Race Director...

No. Just No. Moderator
    Seems a bit heavy-handed. Not sure how/if this relates to our situation in B.C., which is that some regions have a shortage of commissaires relative to the number of events in that region. Being a commissaire is a thankless "job" (if we can call a job something that doesn't pay more than a pittance) and so there isn't exactly a big crowd lining up to become certified. As a result, some local organizers are getting hit hard by having to pay significant travel expenses to import commissaires for events.

There have been many discussions about how to motivate people to take on commissaire certification as a form of volunteerism critical to sustaining organized events, including trying to have clubs that organize events effectively solve their own problem in this regard by having one or more commissaires within each club. I'm trying to figure out how that situation in B.C. may be linked to this new directive in Ontario, but I'm not seeing the connection since the race director role should probably be separate and distinct from the commissaire role, and maybe even a requirement depending on the type of event sanction?

Definitely not a cash grab - the money collected for courses minus costs for course instructors is going to represent a proverbial grain of sand on the beach. Having race directors trained as commissaires isn't a bad thing (the knowledge of how to interface with commissaires in commie-speak) but does Ontario really have such a glut of events that it can put up barriers like this to event organizers?

Are safety and potential liability claims arising from recent years of events in Ontario placing insurance reasonably priced insurance coverage, such that the broker and insurer have requested this extra level of training and certification from the race directors?

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    Are safety and potential liability claims arising from recent years of events in Ontario placing insurance reasonably priced insurance coverage, such that the broker and insurer have requested this extra level of training and certification from the race directors?
    It was such a hasty addendum that there must be some kind major incentive/directive to get it done.

We're already written the OCA for clarification.

No. Just No. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    We have a Road Commissaire on the executive so I'm sure we'll figure something out but I don't think he was planning on being Race Director...
    Within our club the race director usually does the heavy lifting prior to race day for coordinating all the elements that go into the event i.e. it's a big job. However, over the years we have had a couple of situations where our usual race director for a specific event isn't available on the race day. In that case, the "shadow director" still usually does all the prep work in the months prior, but for the event sanction paperwork and race day the reigns of official race director are handed over to someone who is planned in advance to be there on site. That way the person who doesn't really want to be a race director doesn't get a huge load of extra work dumped on them.

Works OK, although sometimes the race day race director is left with a bit of head-scratching not having been privy to all the little details from prep in the months prior.

Evil Jr.
    We've already written the OCA for clarification.
    Here's the skinny:

Quote Originally Posted by OCA
    This has always been in place but loosely enforced. The idea is that everyone will have a level c by the time they run their event and not necessarily before they submit their EOI. Therefore someone like yourself can submit the EOI then take a course in the late winter. I will be working with our TD for road to make sure that we have a sufficient amount of courses to meet the demand.
    Looks like I might become a Commissaire this Winter I guess!

All my faucets is Moen.
    Bet you a beer they don't organize a course before your event.
    Just a hunch.

Lemmy Rules!
    Here's the skinny:

Sure, why not. It's not like you have anything else on the go, right?
    Strava made me do it....

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Why am I picturing one of those classic Patrick O'Grady anti UCI cartoons when I read this?
    If you hurt in your efforts and suffer painful dings. Then you are doing it right.

mtbr member
    Maybe a fitness test would be a better requirement. Saddle up Fagan.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nspace View Post
    Maybe a fitness test would be a better requirement. Saddle up Fagan.
    I didn't know Castelli made lycra bib shorts in relaxed fit.
    If you hurt in your efforts and suffer painful dings. Then you are doing it right.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Nothing is relaxed fit on Fagan

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by thedumbopinion View Post
    Bet you a beer they don't organize a course before your event.
    Just a hunch.
    Well, they pulled it off. I'm going in for Road Commissaire training on the weekend of the 18th! (And this Sunday, I'm going to the Road Race Organiser's meeting too. Yay.)

So, it looks like you owe me a beer!

veldrijder
    Well, they pulled it off. I'm going in for Road Commissaire training on the weekend of the 18th! (And this Sunday, I'm going to the Road Race Organiser's meeting too. Yay.)
    I believe you mean the 11th? I will see you there

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoote View Post
    I believe you mean the 11th? I will see you there
    Doh! You're right! My mind's all a jumble!

All my faucets is Moen.
    Well, they pulled it off...
    So, it looks like you owe me a beer!
    Yup. Got to hand it to the OCA they have become more organized this year. I've noticed it from the coaching side.

I'll be taking the MTB Commie course in April.

As for that beer...any time.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by thedumbopinion View Post
    Yup. Got to hand it to the OCA they have become more organized this year. I've noticed it from the coaching side.
    I've found that the Race Permit Application process is a lot more rigorous this year too.

Evil Jr.
    Got word this morning that I have officially passed the "book learnin'" part of Road Commissaire training. Now I'm qualified to have the ORG code appended to my UCI license. Whew!

It was a long two days but if you're interested in the inner-workings of the sport, it was also very enlightening.

In order to actually become a Commissaire (RCC gets added to your license), I still need to do two practical assignments (assist Commissaires at a race as a Technical Assistant). From there, it's just a short hop to becomming a CX Commissaire.

No. Just No. Moderator
    Congrats. You are almost properly qualified now to be the recipient of a lifetime of abuse as a reward for your volunteer efforts. j/k 99% of people are quite thankful and pleasant. Those 1% outliers sure have a way of sticking in one's memory though, from events, or general interactions out on casual trail rides.

Got word this morning that I have officially passed the "book learnin'" part of Road Commissaire training. Now I'm qualified to have the ORG code appended to my UCI license. Whew!

It was a long two days but if you're interested in the inner-workings of the sport, it was also very enlightening.

In order to actually become a Commissaire (RCC gets added to your license), I still need to do two practical assignments (assist Commissaires at a race as a Technical Assistant). From there, it's just a short hop to becomming a CX Commissaire.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    Congrats. You are almost properly qualified now to be the recipient of a lifetime of abuse as a reward for your volunteer efforts. j/k 99% of people are quite thankful and pleasant. Those 1% outliers sure have a way of sticking in one's memory though, from events, or general interactions out on casual trail rides.
    One of the exercises we did was a mock ITT where I was playing the role of Chief Commissaire and I fined a guy $50 for "unseemly behaviour" in my Communique.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    One of the exercises we did was a mock ITT where I was playing the role of Chief Commissaire and I fined a guy $50 for "unseemly behaviour" in my Communique.
    From my experience the best at this are those who don't walk around barking and such. Basically everything Mr Fagan does not do. Mind you those like that are people who used to race and may still race so come at it from a different perspective then the types.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast