pin it

Important Survey for MTB trails in Caledon

Please read the brief overview and filled out the survey requesting mtb trails and skills park for Caledon

Bolton Camp Family and Community Survey

Thank You!
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

pin it
    Please let TRCA know that mtb trails and bike skills park is not mention in the survey and is needed and wanted.

Important Survey for MTB trails in Caledon-boltoncamp.jpg
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

sheep in FOX clothing
    Background Reading on this property.

If there is any feasible economic case for resurrecting the Bolton Camp property as .... well, a Camp, I think that has to be the TRCA priority. Yes, the first part of their mandate is preserving green space and keeping watershed flood measures in place, but outdoor education has to be pretty high on the list as well.

(Rant on)

I think that the outdoor education prospects in Toronto have taken a hammering in the GTA over the last decade with the closure of places like Camp Bolton and the Frost Centre. Outdoor education can't be taught with an app in a classroom, and summer camp shouldn't be an experience reserved for $150K+ families up in Muskoka.

The mountain biking angle? Well, let's stick to the basics. If kids never actually go outside, I think the prospects for growing our sport seem kind of weak.

There are existing trails on the property that are actively used by area riders, and that's not gonna change... maybe they can be expanded. But if there is any chance to create an outdoor experience center for kids here again, as there was for 80+ years, in whatever form, I think the TRCA should take it.

A mountain bike skills park there would be great. But a facility that allows lower-income kids to experience riding a bike in the woods for the first time would be awesome.

(rant off)

Evil Jr.
    One of the things I initially liked about building "MTB" trails at Christie Lake CA is that there's a YMCA day camp very near the trail head (in fact, MEC Bikefest HQ was at the camp facilities). I always hoped that campers would make use of the trails once they were there.

We went out for a mid-day ride on July 4th and the trails were teeming with campers! They appeared to be out doing some sort of educational scavenger hunt and it seemed to me that the new trails were giving the kids easy access to parts of the woods that would have been less attractive to the camp directors otherwise.

I think there's a great argument to be made for a win-win outcome with trail development around camps for both riders and campers.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I agree with GM... Trails provide access, and while access by lower income urban families is likely a targeted demographic, there's nothing that prevents these features from being added and used by everyone.

Filled out a survey and specifically referenced Christie and other trail areas (Turkey Point and Hydro Cut).
    Santa Cruz Tallboy - lovin' the full squish 29'r!