Evil Jr.

Important Notice: OCA AGM on Saturday, October 5

Here's my PSA for the day :

As a cycling club member and/or a licensed racer, you may be eligible to vote in the Ontario Cycling Association's upcoming Annual General Meeting.

What you may not know is that prior to this year's meeting, there with be a Special General Meeting to amend the bylaws of the OCA. The motion to amend the bylaws concerns the structure of the OCA board which will affect the governance of the Association.

In short, the board would like to move from the current "working" model to a "policy" model to better align the OCA's governance structure with other provincial and national sporting associations. Should the new bylaws be approved, directors will be elected "at large" by the membership and they will in-turn elect a Chairperson.

Please take some time to review the information pertaining to the new bylaws. As an eligible voting member, you should have received an information package describing the proposed bylaw amendments.

More information can be found on the OCA website: Ontario Cycling Association and there is a brief video on the topic on YouTube: OCA Bulletin Sept 2013 - YouTube

You can either vote in person at the AGM or assign a proxy, as outlined in the information package.

Please exercise your right to vote. This is your association and you should have a role in determining how it is run.

Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

humber river advocate
    i hope they will talk about trail advocacy at their agm.
    Support TORBA
    Sunnyside Bike Park Working Group
    Albion Hills Conservation Area Master Plan Public Advisory Committee

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by singlesprocket View Post
    I don't see it on the Agenda but I'm sure whoever fills the Club Liaison directorship would be glad to take it up with interested members.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Barring a large gathering of cycling insurgents I expect the status quo to continue.

humber river advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    I don't see it on the Agenda but I'm sure whoever fills the Club Liaison directorship would be glad to take it up with interested members.
    huh, that's strange. are the 2013 agm minutes available for viewing?

if not,can some one post a link to help out? thanks...
    Support TORBA

Evil Jr.
    huh, that's strange. are the 2013 agm minutes available for viewing?

if not,can some one post a link to help out? thanks...
    The minutes from the 2012 AGM are available to all members and were included in the information package that I mentioned below.

If any member hasn't received their package, please PM me and I'll get you in touch with someone that can assist.

humber river advocate

Upset

so you have to pay money to see the minutes for 2012?
    ummm keeping and presenting such information in those terms is not a best practice...

though i understand your and association concerns...
    Support TORBA

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Here's my PSA for the day :

As a cycling club member and/or a licensed racer, you may be eligible to vote in the Ontario Cycling Association's upcoming Annual General Meeting.

You can either vote in person at the AGM or assign a proxy, as outlined in the information package.

Please exercise your right to vote. This is your association and you should have a role in determining how it is run.

heres the breakdown, you basically need a UCI license or have bought a general membership to vote How to Join the OCA | Ontario Cycling Association

club members and citizen permit holders can't vote, though i did read somewhere that "a club"(OCA affiliated) does get one vote in the business of the OCA so there should be a way to assign a member to vote on the clubs behalf

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by swabag View Post

club members and citizen permit holders can't vote, though i did read somewhere that "a club"(OCA affiliated) does get one vote in the business of the OCA so there should be a way to assign a member to vote on the clubs behalf
    But apparently I have been told that they still value the views of Citizen members and want them to show up.

Reality...unless you are near Toronto the OCA is not very relevant.

humber river advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    But apparently I have been told that they still value the views of Citizen members and want them to show up.

Reality...unless you are near Toronto the OCA is not very relevant.
    you hit the nail on the head enduramil... though this issue goes back a while, though you know the history way better then i. i remeber when mountain biking started, the oca viewed us as freaks...
    Support TORBA

No. Just No. Moderator
    i remeber when mountain biking started, the oca viewed us as freaks...
    How times change. The OCA's Exec Director is a mountain biker first and foremost, same with some of the members of the board of directors.

No. Just No. Moderator
    "a club"(OCA affiliated) does get one vote in the business of the OCA so there should be a way to assign a member to vote on the clubs behalf
    I don't know exactly how they are currently managing the admin on that at OCA AGMs, but in the AGMs the club's vote is given to a club member who presents a letter signed by the club president indicating they will cast on behalf of the club. If anyone is in this circumstance for the OCA AGM best to check specifics though as they they might do it differently.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    I don't know exactly how they are currently managing the admin on that at OCA AGMs, but in the AGMs the club's vote is given to a club member who presents a letter signed by the club president indicating they will cast on behalf of the club. If anyone is in this circumstance for the OCA AGM best to check specifics though as they they might do it differently.
    Thanks for the heads up, I was wondering about that as well. After the spring AGM(that wasn't) I'm sure they'll be sticking pretty close to their procedures on this. I'm only VP of our club team so ill look into what i need to cast a vote on its behalf.

No. Just No. Moderator
    Thanks for the heads up, I was wondering about that as well. After the spring AGM(that wasn't) I'm sure they'll be sticking pretty close to their procedures on this. I'm only VP of our club team so ill look into what i need to cast a vote on its behalf.
    I just noticed that in my post above I missed a key word in saying "in the AGMs HERE" (in BC not in ON) that's how they handle it. Often these things are done fairly similarly especially in the cycling community so a good bet the procedure in ON may be similar. I've attended a bunch of OCA AGMs way back way, but it's been a while and things may have changed since then. To be safe you need to double check for yourself, but at least this may give you a heads up.

Here, the bearer submits their letter upon arrival and the staff hosting the AGM give you an extra voting card. Or, it's even possible a letter from any member of your club's board may suffice.

humber river advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    How times change. The OCA's Exec Director is a mountain biker first and foremost, same with some of the members of the board of directors.
    in ontario? i don't see a strong mtb presence on the executive committee and their support in advocacy here in ontario has been lacking. it was so 10 years ago, it is so now. a lot of people would rather spend their $158 elsewhere.
    it looks like we are going to go full circle here with non affiliated races becoming the preferred venue for mtbing.
    Support TORBA

Evil Jr.
    in ontario? i don't see a strong mtb presence on the executive committee and their support in advocacy here in ontario has been lacking. it was so 10 years ago, it is so now. a lot of people would rather spend their $158 elsewhere.
    I would agree that if what you're after is trail advocacy, your membership dollars are probably better spent at IMBA since the OCA's primary mandate is rider development and I don't see that changing any time soon.

However, plenty of people (and clubs), like me (and the HCC), are members of both organisations.

And on the topic of sheer membership numbers, the OCA has grown over 10% in the last 4 years so I'd say they're offering people something of interest.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    And on the topic of sheer membership numbers, the OCA has grown over 10% in the last 4 years so I'd say they're offering people something of interest.
    Hmm...not really. Talked with others at the East Cup today and zero interest from them on rejoining the OCA. Or as 2 called it Toronto Cycling Association. So unless you live within a certain distance of the primary areas of racing say 100k of Toronto there isn't a lot they offer...really.

Brockville is getting on just fine running races sans OCA.

humber river advocate
    so's blue. lots of non sanctioned events which are gaining popularity and which are enjoyable (did one this year). without looking at the figures it is hard to verify the 10% gain. not to say that it is incorrect garage monster, but it is important to identify correctly the source of the gain. for example is it a 2.5% gain over 4 years or is the gain a change of membership status policy, etc... also just how many riders is 10% is it 10 riders, 100 riders or more and so on. any gain is important information but it also has to stand up to scrutiny. which by the way is one thing ive learned in working with councillors and staff.

i think trails are an integral part of rider development with regards to mtbing.
    where else are you going to develop your skill set to compete (other then move to another province).

Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    Hmm...not really. Talked with others at the East Cup today and zero interest from them on rejoining the OCA. Or as 2 called it Toronto Cycling Association. So unless you live within a certain distance of the primary areas of racing say 100k of Toronto there isn't a lot they offer...really.

Brockville is getting on just fine running races sans OCA.
    Support TORBA

Evil Jr.
    While I don't have the exact numbers in front of me, membership has increased from approximately 9,000 to over 10,000 in the last four years. I understand that the majority of the gains have come from younger riders entering the sport, mainly the kids of the "Masters" racers, so that seems like a plus to me. (FWIW, the OCA is audited by Norton McMullen & Co. LLP so it's not like they can just make up the numbers.)

As a member, one of the things I'm most interested in improving is the clarity around unsanctioned races and I don't think I'm alone as it's also been part of the debate surrounding the elections at the UCI too.

***A final note to MEMBERS: you should have received your proxy ballot via e-mail over the weekend. Cast those votes!

sock puppet
    While I don't have the exact numbers in front of me, membership has increased from approximately 9,000 to over 10,000 in the last four years. I understand that the majority of the gains have come from younger riders entering the sport, mainly the kids of the "Masters" racers, so that seems like a plus to me. (FWIW, the OCA is audited by Norton McMullen & Co. LLP so it's not like they can just make up the numbers.)

As a member, one of the things I'm most interested in improving is the clarity around unsanctioned races and I don't think I'm alone as it's also been part of the debate surrounding the elections at the UCI too.

***A final note to MEMBERS: you should have received your proxy ballot via e-mail over the weekend. Cast those votes!
    at least two candidates are mountain bikers.

my proxy has been faxed today.

judging by the Epic 8 this past weekend - racing for fun is very alive and well in Ontario, and that is great...

there are many trails in Ontario - for everyone to enjoy and organize sanctioned and/or non-sanctioned events. to each his/her own.
    Signature

humber river advocate
    Nice roughly a 1000 rider gain / 4 years = 250 riders a year in road riding/xc/dh/cyclecross/bmx does oca have a break down based on discipline?

Support TORBA

Evil Jr.
    Nice roughly a 1000 rider gain / 4 years = 250 riders a year in road riding/xc/dh/cyclecross/bmx does oca have a break down based on discipline?
    It would make sense that they would. However, it might be tough to categorize people precisely. For instance, my UCI license covers XC, road, CX, race organizer and road commissaire and I think a lot of other people are similarly "multi-disciplinary".

BTW, BMX has a separate governing body in Ontario. They left the OCA about three years ago, I think.