mtbr member
    Jul 2006

IMBA Subaru VIP pricing

Has any IMBA member on these forums purchased a Subaru with Subaru of Canada VIP program? Subaru Canada VIP Program | International Mountain Bike Association Canada

I have been an IMBA member for several years and this coming summer I will be purchasing a new vehicle. I am curious if any has done it, and how much money was saved using this program.

Steve

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudhead View Post
    I am curious if any has done it, and how much money was saved using this program.

Steve
    It works quite well, and is a WICKED deal!!! The VIP pricing is an automatic 2% below dealer invoice, which is thousands below sticker.

E.g.
    2014 Forester Limited
    MSRP: $33,295
    Invoice: $30,550
    VIP Price: ~$29,940

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Do you know if accessories ordered with the car get the same sort of discount? I have read that this may be true in the US but you are the first to mention the Canadian deal that I have found.

Muskoka
    I wonder if you can get same deal without IMBA membership if you know what the discount is worth and just walk in and make the same offer?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Do you know where dealer invoice information can be found for Canada? I have found a great site for all sorts of information, but it applies to the US only.

I have contacted IMBA Canada, and their response was "The discount amount is determined by the sales person at the dealership" That seems to be different from what happens in the US, where I have read from one forum, the price surprised at least one sales person.

I thought there would have been a few responses to my initial question on here as Subarus are great cars, and many in these forums are IMBA members. Perhaps you are not allowed to divulge any details about this deal publicly?

Muskoka
    Would be interested to see who is really a VIP to a Subaru dealer, a member of a mtbiking association or a potential repeat customer who has spent considerable coin there in the past for purchase and maintenance!!!! Keep me posted on how this all goes Steve, my 11 yr old WRX will need replacement....eventually

Hack Racer
    I tried to use the Subaru VIP pricing in the past. The offer does not apply for a WRX STi in Canada. Whereas in the USA it does.

The 2% below dealer invoice I believe is an old offer. Now it is no longer. If you want to find dealer pricing go here:

Best New Car Prices in Canada. Free Dealer Invoice Price. | Unhaggle

It is for Ontario Market mainly. A friend managed to haggle a 2013 Subaru Sti tech package sedan for $500 above the dealer invoice, no added accessories out of Brampton Subaru.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheers! View Post
    I tried to use the Subaru VIP pricing in the past. The offer does not apply for a WRX STi in Canada. Whereas in the USA it does.
    IMBA Canada and Subaru Canada have modified the plan now.

"Subaru Canada's VIP Program provides IMBA Canada individual/family members with an opportunity for significant savings on the purchase or lease of a new Subaru.* The program is open to all Subaru models including the WRX, STI, BRZ (April 2013) and XV Crosstrek models."

I was curious what to IMBA is a significant savings, that is why I asked in this forum if anyone has done it recently. But as BCD mentioned, a repeat Subaru customer should qualify easily without any membership other than that they own one already and have spent money on maintenance as well. I will have to rely on my IMBA membership for additional savings.

Muskoka
    Please keep me in the loop. I hope to buy local but if the deals are not in the ballpark then no!
    IMBA Canada and Subaru Canada have modified the plan now.

"Subaru Canada's VIP Program provides IMBA Canada individual/family members with an opportunity for significant savings on the purchase or lease of a new Subaru.* The program is open to all Subaru models including the WRX, STI, BRZ (April 2013) and XV Crosstrek models."

I was curious what to IMBA is a significant savings, that is why I asked in this forum if anyone has done it recently. But as BCD mentioned, a repeat Subaru customer should qualify easily without any membership other than that they own one already and have spent money on maintenance as well. I will have to rely on my IMBA membership for additional savings.

mtbr member
    Do you know where dealer invoice information can be found for Canada?
    3 methods that I am aware of:

1. CarCostCanada.com ($35 fee for 10 invoices)

2. Ask the salesman for full discovery. A good salesman will have nothing to hide, and will show you the invoice..

3. Trickery (this is what I did). I faxed 3 dealers from the Toronto area and said I was aware of invoice from CarCostCanada, and would offer "$1000 over invoice." All 3 came back with the same price breakdown (same discount off MRSP), which confirmed the dealer cost to me.

I then went to my dealer of choice, and said I that invoice is "xxx" and that I'll give you $300 over that. I also said I was aware of dealer holdbacks (these are additional payments to the dealer from Subaru for each car sold (generally a percentage off MSRP)) and that I felt that $300 profit plus holdback profit was fair for a quick sale. The dealer accepted, and the amount was also in line with what the other 3 had said. Invoice price confirmed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Hmmm, I'm not sure, does this apply to used cars as well? Looking for a 2005 or around that year Subaru Forester XT.
    Hoping to find one within a fair price range for me and either sell my truck or trade my truck in and pay the difference. Truck is a 2008 Ford F150 xl, so hoping I can get a fair deal out of someone, if anyone on here has one of those they wanna sell.....

db9
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Not that it really matters or is relevant but through CSIA (Canadian Ski instructors Association)
    the discount was 750$ from Subaru when I bought my Forester in fall of 2011. This was on top of the deal that I made with the dealer.

mtbr member
    According to this Subaru Canada VIP Program | International Mountain Bike Association Canada there are no models that are excluded. You are to contact IMBA before going to a dealer to get a letter to explain the program.

mtbr member
    The CSIA program is an after-purchase rebate directly form Subaru. Send them a copy of your bill and your CSIA card, and it's another $750 back (on top of whatever discount you got off at the time of purchase). There is also a rebate available for participants in the Subaru Triathlon Series. Subaru is good to us outdoorsy types!!!