• 26" Full suspension

4 11.11%
  • 29" Hardtail

27 75.00%
  • 29" Full suspension

3 8.33%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Idea! Ideal bike for XC racing in Southern Ontario (eg: Albion)

Looking to add a second bike to my stable.
    I already have a 26" full suspension.

Wondering what the opinions are like on here.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    29er HT. Carbon if you aren't clumsy and prone to crashing.
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

Depression...can eat a sack of manure and die.

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    29er HT. Carbon if you aren't clumsy and prone to crashing.
    meh, even if you are clumsy and prone to crashing - carbon. it's gone a long way.

for you youngster - HT 29er makes sense. for me - it is FS 29.

however, either one - providing you can afford some good stuff, will fit the bill.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Carbon cyclocross bike with disc brakes.

What? I'm totally serious!

Ok, fine. Titanium 29er hardtail.

Lemmy Rules!
    Definitely a hardtail 29er. That's the obvious answer.

But if you want to try something a little different and challenge yourself a little, a 29er singlespeed. Why? Affordability (a key concern when buying a second bike), simplicity (sometimes its hard enough to keep 1 bike maintained, let alone 2) and the fact that it will make you a better rider on your primary ride - you'll have to find the right lines, use your momentum, and when you get back on your geared bike, you will be faster and fitter.

That said, a cyclocross bike is not a bad idea either. Why? You can race cx on it (try a new discipline and maintain your fitness towards the end of the season), you can go explore gravel roads up north, you can slap road tires on it and have a road bike, you can commute on it and if you ever decide to race the Paris to Ancaster, you will be set...
    Strava made me do it....

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    Definitely a hardtail 29er. That's the obvious answer.

But if you want to try something a little different and challenge yourself a little, a 29er singlespeed. Why? Affordability (a key concern when buying a second bike), simplicity (sometimes its hard enough to keep 1 bike maintained, let alone 2) and the fact that it will make you a better rider on your primary ride - you'll have to find the right lines, use your momentum, and when you get back on your geared bike, you will be faster and fitter.
    +1
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Though I hear 29ers are now passÚ. It seems 650b is where it's at.
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

mtbr member

i got 50 bentleys in the west indies

Granted, the Don is not Albion, but (yeah here we go invoking strava) myself and a couple of others have gone back and forth with some of the faster times this season on many of the trails in there. Bikes of choice: 26ht, 27.5ht, and 29ht. I also set some of my faster times last year on 26 then 27.5fs.

So really, it doesn't matter. I happen to know what your 26 FS is and I assure you it is not a limiting factor. Zandstra and co. looked mighty fast lapping me on 26FS bikes at Albion in 2009 (edit: 2008, though he also lapped me in 09 at 22+) avging something like 24+km/h.

That being said if you just want a new bike because new bikes are awesome wait for the 27.5 Anthem. That thing looks HAWT.

Ideal bike for XC racing in Southern Ontario (eg: Albion)-giant-27-5-1.jpg
    Last edited by veteran_youth; 05-27-2013 at 05:01 PM. Reason: stickler for accuracy

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Oh, and for the Chromag types. There is a Samurai 650b prototype being tested.

And Cove has a 650b in the works as well.
    Last edited by Enduramil; 05-27-2013 at 08:33 PM.
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=veteran_youth;10425399I happen to know what your 26 FS is and I assure you it is not a limiting factor[/QUOTE]

The limiting factor is definately the rider, no doubt about that

mtbr member
    I ride a 26" FS but for the Epic 8 I took a Specialized 29" HT out for a lap. Very nice ride but the very first thing I thought was "I want a full suspension!" By the end of the lap I had no doubt that I'm sticking to a full suspension bike. But because I'm on the short side I'm going with the 650b FS.
    Also just today a couple of us were riding in Albion and my friend usually rides a 26" Ht but he had borrowed a 29" FS and he absolutely loved it.
    Friends don't let friends cheer for the TML

mtbr member
    I read a bit more carefully and I guess I answered the poll question (ideal bike for Albion) while glossing over the fact that this bike will probably be in addition to the FS bike. This being the case I would probably suggest a single-speed of some description, and while rigid 29er would be the obvious choice for XC oriented, something a bit more jumpy/playful might give you a bit more riding variety (especially if combined with a Joyride membership).

sheep in FOX clothing
    Quote Originally Posted by veteran_youth View Post
    26ht
    Yes. An elegant weapon from a more... civilized age?

More than a little slow
    I read a bit more carefully and I guess I answered the poll question (ideal bike for Albion) while glossing over the fact that this bike will probably be in addition to the FS bike. This being the case I would probably suggest a single-speed of some description, and while rigid 29er would be the obvious choice for XC oriented, something a bit more jumpy/playful might give you a bit more riding variety (especially if combined with a Joyride membership).
    +1
    My thinking these days is that a bit of time invested in improving skills will carry over to faster riding on an XC course/trail. I'm frequently wrong.
    Cheers, Dave

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dskunk View Post
    +1
    My thinking these days is that a bit of time invested in improving skills will carry over to faster riding on an XC course/trail. I'm frequently wrong.
    You're probably not wrong this time.

rad to the power of sick
    back into racing eh?

Im very happy with my Carbon 29er HT (Giant XTC). For racing in Ontario its definitely my tool of choice. For riding in Ontario, a 27.5 FS would be my choice.

rad to the power of sick

That being said if you just want a new bike because new bikes are awesome wait for the 27.5 Anthem. That thing looks HAWT.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	giant-27-5-1.jpg 
Views:	496 
Size:	179.6 KB 
ID:	803001
    Trying so hard to get one of these ASAP.

Dorkimus Prime
    FS is for men over 50 and women over 55. Get a SC Highball and leave the Suspended rears to those taking calcium supplements.
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

No. Just No. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggie View Post
    FS is for men over 50 and women over 55. Get a SC Highball and leave the Suspended rears to those taking calcium supplements.
    I'll give you my FS when you pry it from my cold, dead hands. Nice phrase, eh? I just thought of it.

Signed,

Your friendly neighbourhood under 50 taker of calcium supplements.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dskunk View Post
    +1
    Nope. That is a myth. As Mr Geoff Kabush demonstrates it is clearly the bike.

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    I'll give you my FS when you pry it from my cold, dead hands. Nice phrase, eh? I just thought of it.

Signed,

Your friendly neighbourhood under 50 taker of calcium supplements.
    I fully agree with you!! Only I am over 50 but don;t take supplements other than beer.
    Friends don't let friends cheer for the TML

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    This being the case I would probably suggest a single-speed of some description, and while rigid 29er would be the obvious choice for XC oriented, something a bit more jumpy/playful might give you a bit more riding variety (especially if combined with a Joyride membership).
    Speaking of playful. I recall Niner was supposed to be releasing their answer to the Honzo.
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    If you are planning to race, you want to go fast. 29ht is probably your best option for pure speed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Dont forget fit

If your 6 foot 6, a 9er in either FS or HT would be a good choice. if your 5'5' maybe lean towards a 650B,

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    In my short riding years (just started 2 years ago) I started with a 26ht and went to a 29er HT. The 29er fit like a glove for me. I didn't have enough time on the 26er to really notice a huge difference in staring speed. I did notice right away the 29er felt more planted, climbed better (more traction) and overall more forgiving with the right tire setup.

I did try a demo rocky element 970 at 3 stage a few weeks ago and can honestly say for Ontario riding, a FS is not needed for me, Although my area is sooo rough I wish I had one for just a few trails. I like the extra control over the choppy stuff and I did notice it had even more traction climbing techy stuff. Im young enough to deal with a bit of tired back near the end of a race, so for now I will be keeping my 29er HT.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast