I want a dog

2015 Brodie Romax
    2011 Giant Trance X3 "Andre"
    2013 Rocky Mountain SoloCX "Han"

That's not a W
    Jul 2008
    Do it!!

I love that video! Here's another awesome internet famous trail dog:

<iframe width='500' height='281' src='http://www.pinkbike.com/v/embed/227689/?colors=C80000' allowfullscreen frameborder='0'></iframe>

Lemmy Rules!
    I love dogs, own two, but would be very reluctant to let them run loose on a trail while I rode, for fear of encountering other riders, both for the safety of the dogs, and other trail users. If the dog bolts, runs away, or gets in the way of another rider, it is virtually impossible to control the dog by any means other than voice commands. Teaching the dog to respond to voice commands alone, every time, on a fast-paced ride where there are lots of sights, sounds and smells to distract it is no easy feat.

That's not to say people should not ride with their dogs like this. I know several awesome trail dogs, but folks should recognise that it takes a ton of training and patience to have a dog out on the trail with you. YOu're not gonna go out on the trail with your new dog right after you get home from the pound and be able to do what these videos show.

There should almost be a disclaimer to this effect at the end of the videos if they are out there in the public domain on YOutube because there is always that one person utterly devoid of common sense who won't understand this.

But yeah, having a dog with whom I could ride like this would be awesome....
    Strava made me do it....

That's not a W
    Jul 2008
    Buzz kill!

Valid points, of course but it could be fun to have a thread celebrating how awesome trail dogs can be instead of focusing on the negative possibilities.

As Unglued knows, we have trail dogs-in-training so they are no where near the ability of Kaia or Lily. But we know that and take it into account when planning rides with them by taking them riding on unpopular trails or during quiet times and never on group rides. It helps that it's winter so other trail users are going slower in general than summer. We hope they will be excellent trail dogs eventually but they are not there yet. They are also in obedience training.

I am thinking about getting one of those leash contraptions BCD has to attach to the bike so I can take them on busier trails as the weather gets warmer.

If anyone has other tips to train a dog to be a great trail dog, I'd be happy to hear them.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Ughhh, I've almost been seriously injured by irresponsible owners bringing unleashed dogs into the Don. I've also come very close to killing a dog, same reason...

Unleashed dogs do not belong on mountain bike trails. Period.

The only time an unleashed dog is safe on a mountain bike trail is if there are no other cyclists.

Blind corners, fast running, quiet animal, hills, roots, unpredictable line availability...

Ya, I'm a buzz kill, but worse are selfish *******s who think it's reasonable to threaten the safety of others and their dogs to make a cool video...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sputnikcdn View Post
    Ughhh, I've almost been seriously injured by irresponsible owners bringing unleashed dogs into the Don. I've also come very close to killing a dog, same reason...

The only time an unleashed dog is safe on a mountain bike trail is if there are no other cyclists.

Blind corners, fast running, quiet animal, hills, roots, unpredictable line availability...

Ya, I'm a buzz kill, but worse are selfish *******s who think it's reasonable to threaten the safety of others and their dogs to make a cool video...
    Just to play devil's advocate for all those selfish ********s, if you are not riding within 100% control while out on the trails, you might want want to keep the name calling to a minimum. This is one of the first cardinal rules of mountain biking, if you have any fear of an unpredictable trail user around a blind corner, in a technical section, or encountering one an a downhill perhaps you should slow down (even come to a stop, I do it all the time). This isn't limited to dogs. It could be horses, children, bird watchers or other mountain bikers with limited skill sets. Approaching any of these trail users without due caution could potentially put all parties at risk. You could also just be approaching ******s as well, they come in all forms.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor View Post
    Just to play devil's advocate for all those selfish ********s, if you are not riding within 100% control while out on the trails, you might want want to keep the name calling to a minimum. This is one of the first cardinal rules of mountain biking, if you have any fear of an unpredictable trail user around a blind corner, in a technical section, or encountering one an a downhill perhaps you should slow down (even come to a stop, I do it all the time). This isn't limited to dogs. It could be horses, children, bird watchers or other mountain bikers with limited skill sets. Approaching any of these trail users without due caution could potentially put all parties at risk. You could also just be approaching ******s as well, they come in all forms.
    I do ride under control. I'm a human being with a conscience.

You can't ask a dog to do so...

There is no equivalency.

mtbr Decade+
    Both of my children, from about 3 on, have walked off leash in the Dundas Valley. A well trained dog would be much likelier to get out of the way of a fast moving rider than a small child...
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggie View Post
    Both of my children, from about 3 on, have walked off leash in the Dundas Valley. A well trained dog would be much likelier to get out of the way of a fast moving rider than a small child...
    Well trained... likelier... and, most importantly, according to you. Why should I trust a stranger's dog? Why should I trust the stranger who says their dog is harmless?

An animal is still an animal. It will be far harder to see, faster, quieter and far less predictable. Even a well trained dog will bolt if it sees a wild animal to chase.

Your kids will likely be brightly dressed and accompanied by at least one brightly dressed adult. They do not move very fast... Hopefully you're watching them.

Come on people... You cannot say that allowing dogs to run on bike paths without a leash is safe... as much as you want to, as much fun as it would be, please, don't!

At least use a leash...

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Ah....another my view of trail use is better then your view of trail use thread.

Next week we discuss banning small children from trails.

No. Just No.
    On on hand I can appreciate that some people make very little attempts to reasonably share the trails with fellow trail users. That can include adults, children, dogs, etc. I don't mind sharing the trails with any of them and don't expect free and instantaneous passage or right of way, but I do appreciate it when any combinations of the above engage in any actions that let people pass each other in a safe manner without undue delay, whether oncoming or overtaking. Dogs may have little sense of that, but if their handlers take reasonable actions within a reasonable period of time that's good enough for me.

The million dollar question in this discussion is what trails are being discussed are "mountain bike trails"? To the best of my knowledge these are few and far between, mostly as privately owned facilities which have their own posted rules concerning different types of trail users (or whether the use is strictly limited to mountain biking). All other trails are typically on public land, not restricted specifically to mountain bike use, and therefore not truly "mountain bike trails" in any exclusive sense. While one may expect that a fellow mountain biker is focused primarily on the mountain bike experience, that may not always be true. They may be out primarily to share time with their dog, and just happen to be riding rather than walking.

Maybe mountain bikers are the most visible and perhaps even most numerous type of user on some trails, but that doesn't necessarily impart priority in their use.

mtbr member
    I really don't like putting absolutes on anything.

There are responsible trail users and irresponsible trail users. At times there are responsible trail users that act irresponsibly and vice versa.

Due caution needs to be exercised by all users at all times. This could include keeping a dog off a certain trail, or slowing your speed while cresting a blind roller. It could mean slowing while approaching a family out for hike, or getting off your bike and allowed a equestrian to pass. It certainly includes having a dog that responds to verbal commands. I've seen a number of working dogs that I'd trust more to do what's told of them in the presence of squirrel than I would a mountain biker enthusiastically getting back to the parking lot for that beer.

I think if everyone thought more about the experiences of the people around them and how their actions influenced that, we'd all get along way better. Even then, crap would happen (you know how many times I've had oh $hitz moments with deer in Dundas Valley).

There are irresponsible trail users in every shape and form unfortunately. Stroking one user group with a black and white brush does no good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VVagabond View Post
    Do it!!

<iframe width='500' height='281' src='http://www.pinkbike.com/v/embed/227689/?colors=C80000' allowfullscreen frameborder='0'></iframe>
    OMG, that was incredible! I love it when the guy is walking the bike and Lily is basically running circles around him. Talk about anxious.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

Team NFI
    Mar 2007

There are responsible trail users and irresponsible trail users. At times there are responsible trail users that act irresponsibly and vice versa.

Due caution needs to be exercised by all users at all times. This could include keeping a dog off a certain trail, or slowing your speed while cresting a blind roller. It could mean slowing while approaching a family out for hike, or getting off your bike and allowed a equestrian to pass. It certainly includes having a dog that responds to verbal commands. I've seen a number of working dogs that I'd trust more to do what's told of them in the presence of squirrel than I would a mountain biker enthusiastically getting back to the parking lot for that beer.

I think if everyone thought more about the experiences of the people around them and how their actions influenced that, we'd all get along way better. Even then, crap would happen (you know how many times I've had oh $hitz moments with deer in Dundas Valley).

There are irresponsible trail users in every shape and form unfortunately. Stroking one user group with a black and white brush does no good.
    I find dogs on the trail to be much more predictable then most humans.

Lemmy Rules!

That "beer" comment was directed at me, wasn't it?
    Strava made me do it....

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    I've seen a number of working dogs that I'd trust more to do what's told of them in the presence of squirrel than I would a mountain biker enthusiastically getting back to the parking lot for that beer.
    Hey..Squirrel.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    sputnikcdn,

Please change your attitude, one like that will make no friends with other trail users. At many trail systems mountain bikers need more friends.

Banning other trail users is not the answer, so long as they are not destructive to the trail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    That "beer" comment was directed at me, wasn't it?
    No, not directly. Had I been targeting you I would have mentioned black-out profanity laced tirade.

Lemmy Rules!
    No, not directly. Had I been targeting you I would have mentioned black-out profanity laced tirade.
    Oh come on. That only happened 3 or 4 times. In the same ride.
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I think I'd like an Airedale. And can you believe more snow is on the way?!
    2015 Brodie Romax
    2011 Giant Trance X3 "Andre"
    2013 Rocky Mountain SoloCX "Han"

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bishskate View Post
    And can you believe more snow is on the way?!
    Excellent.

mtbr member

I want a dog

A dog is a great idea. I got into this sport because of my dog. All I say is "bike ride" and he's jumping all over. Right now (living in Canada) he doesn't understand the bike trainer as he isn't running and I'm going nowhere lol. To add to the discussion, as a dog owner, I myself don't trust all dogs off leash. But I also have my dog off leash while we ride, he listens to my commands and is actually more focused on the trail then me. He also wears a bear bell to warn oncoming trail users of his presence in times where he is ahead of me ( usually the first hour or so). To continue on the positive, I find most people are happy to see him and want him to stop for more water breaks than needed to just give him a pat. Dogs, well trained, are great riding pals... They never complain or bail last minute. They'll even let you share their post ride beer!

Terrain Sculptor
    Well trained... likelier... and, most importantly, according to you. Why should I trust a stranger's dog? Why should I trust the stranger who says their dog is harmless?

An animal is still an animal. It will be far harder to see, faster, quieter and far less predictable. Even a well trained dog will bolt if it sees a wild animal to chase.

Your kids will likely be brightly dressed and accompanied by at least one brightly dressed adult. They do not move very fast... Hopefully you're watching them.

Come on people... You cannot say that allowing dogs to run on bike paths without a leash is safe... as much as you want to, as much fun as it would be, please, don't!

At least use a leash...
    I hit a bear once. I'm fine with dogs on the trails.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja's Son
    You may be happy to hear that my dad has kicked cancer's ass. Now he's looking for whoever sent it.

Maddog
    Jan 2010
    I got a dog 7 years ago. A vizsla (Hungarian pointer). Tons of energy and needs to be run off leash. I found an area where people hardly went outside of our town and let her run off leash. Thought "hey it would be cool to mountain bike with her" so I started making trails in this area. Then other people started making trails in this area. When I ride on the trails, she does circles around me for an hour and a half. Mostly now I ride these dog trails with other people.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I won't say any more than this, because obviously I'm in the minority in this.

I'll repeat - unleashed dogs do not belong on mountain bike trails. Period.

Dog owners have all kinds of other places to take their dogs to run. It's not safe to have an unleashed dog on a mountain bike trail.

Edit... to the people who sent me personal messages - thanks, but I know how to ride a bike. And safely.

Taking an unleashed dog in a mountain bike trail, unless you know you're alone, is an inherently selfish act.

I'm out...

Team NFI
    Mar 2007

Dog owners have all kinds of other places to take their dogs to run. It's not safe to have an unleashed dog on a mountain bike trail.
    Guess I get to rain on your promenade. But unless there has been a significant change of trail classification in Ontario. So significant that hell freezes over. Almost all trails in Ontario are not Mountain Bike trails as in not mountain bike only. Which means they are used by us as well as others and contrary to our view not mountain bike trails.

So that means we have to accept off leash dogs, deaf seniors walking in the woods, and children running all over. Part of the deal when it comes to land access for everyone. Only 2 alternatives to this would be taking up Gravel Grinding or Buying a huge piece of land and making your own private trails.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    unleashed dogs do not belong on mountain bike trails...
    ...an inherently selfish act.
    The irony in your posts is hilarious

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Wow, this got nasty fast.
    There's obviously a lot of emotion in this. On one side, people love their dogs and their outdoor experiences with their dog. On the other, people have been frightened for their own safety (and that of the dogs they nearly hurt).

From a personal perspective, I am very nervous every time I encounter a dog on the trail, because I have no way of knowing if it is well trained, or wildly unpredictable. I am also nervous encountering horses, children, old people, other mountain bikers, joggers with earbuds etc.

It really is a question of context. If I'm on a mountain bike specific trail, I do not expect to encounter dogs (or most of the other listed threats). If I am out in a local Conservation Area, I get grumpy when I encounter unleashed dogs, because they are prohibited.

I do really respect those who have trained their dogs well (in all contexts). I never, ever trust a dog (near my bike, my hand or my child). You just never know.

Workin for the weekend!
    I don't mind dogs on the trail, however, if your dog is unleashed and I run it over because he jumps in the way, I'm not feeling bad about it. If your child is in the middle of the trail, I will gladly stop, and say hello and make every effort not to startle or upset the family time.

Your dog might be your pet, but to me he's a liability, a moving target. I've never had a child bite me, try to knock me down or grit their teeth at me. I've had a dog do all of it.

If you really value your pet, you'll leash him on multi use paths. If the dog "gets it" as well as you say he does, we've got no problem, do we?

Lastly, if I'm out on the trail hiking with my kids and your (strange) dog gets too close to my small kids, I've got every right to discourage that (strange) animal from approaching. I might use my voice, I might use my boot. If you love that dog, you'll keep him from learning the hard way.
    Todd

Lemmy Rules!
    Thanks to people with attitudes like Todd none of you need every worry about encountering my dogs loose on the trail. They are far too important to me for me to expose to someone who considers then a "liability", or a "moving target", or would kick them if they got too close.
    Strava made me do it....

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Thanks to people with attitudes like Todd none of you need every worry about encountering my dogs loose on the trail. They are far too important to me for me to expose to someone who considers then a "liability", or a "moving target", or would kick them if they got too close.
    In my overall experience with dogs on the trail. Occasional problem dog while the rest simply run up to say high and have a sniff. Maybe hint for a scratch behind the ears.

Humans on the other hand..........

Workin for the weekend!
    Hey man, I didn't say I'd go looking for trouble... Lots of dogs are friendly and social. Some aren't. I've got no way of telling in the 3 seconds when I'm approaching them & their master. I've spooked a pair of shepherds with their family and the guy holding their leash nearly went down in their lurch. Had there been no leash, I'd have wrestling 2 angry, protective animals,on the ground. My wife had a toonie sized chunk taken out of her calf by a Jack Russell Terrier(!) while jogging in 2010.

What would your impression be like after that kind of experience?
    Todd

sock puppet
    gotcha... could have been a racoon...
    Signature

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja View Post
    I hit a bear once. I'm fine with dogs on the trails.
    poor bear...
    Signature

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by -Todd- View Post
    I don't mind dogs on the trail, however, if your dog is unleashed and I run it over because he jumps in the way, I'm not feeling bad about it. If your child is in the middle of the trail, I will gladly stop, and say hello and make every effort not to startle or upset the family time.

Your dog might be your pet, but to me he's a liability, a moving target. I've never had a child bite me, try to knock me down or grit their teeth at me. I've had a dog do all of it.

If you really value your pet, you'll leash him on multi use paths. If the dog "gets it" as well as you say he does, we've got no problem, do we?

Lastly, if I'm out on the trail hiking with my kids and your (strange) dog gets too close to my small kids, I've got every right to discourage that (strange) animal from approaching. I might use my voice, I might use my boot. If you love that dog, you'll keep him from learning the hard way.
    my dog will make your boot hurt...
    Signature

sock puppet
    Stroking one user group with a black and white brush does no good.
    stroking with happy end is always good...
    Signature

sock puppet
    If anyone has other tips to train a dog to be a great trail dog, I'd be happy to hear them.
    buy him a carbon fat bike. no training required.
    Signature

Lemmy Rules!
    Hey man, I didn't say I'd go looking for trouble...
    The way your post read to me, that's pretty much exactly what it said, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

We both agree that dogs and cyclists/runners/etc often do not mix well on the same trail. But as a cyclist and a dog owner, I see both sides of the story and if we're using the same trail, that means treating one another with respect. And respect does not begin with you kicking someone's dog if it makes you feel uncomfortable, any more than it does with a dog owner putting a stick in your spokes if you startle them coming around a blind corner.
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Gotcha?

Really?

A raccoon is a nocturnal animal. It's not going to threaten anyone's safety on a trail. For wild animals in the Don I've seen wolves, deer, foxes, rodents etc. They are all afraid of humans. Dogs are generally not.

There's a distinct difference in tone here between dog owners and non-dog owners. Perhaps the dog owners could take a lesson in that....

Just because you think your dog is safe doesn't mean it is. Nor does it mean anyone else will believe it's safe. Your words mean nothing to me if your dog is running at me.

I've been very specific. It is an inherently selfish act to bring an unleashed dog on a mountain biking trail unless you know you have the trail to yourself.

There's a reason there are laws in cities for on/off leash areas.

mtbr member
    I love dogs, had one for many years. Had only one really good scare on the trails when a doberman chased me from the double track into the single track at Hilton Falls at an alarming speed. I just stopped put my bike in between us and made no movement. Turned out to be friendly but it took the owner a long time to catch up with us. All my other encounters were pretty friendly and I got to stop and sometimes chat with nice folks. Honestly the two nastiest incidents with dogs happened on the road riding through local neighborhoods and having dogs shoot out of backyards or porches. One smaller dog was definitively trying to bite me. I was able to outrun another one that seem to have evil intentions, but really scared me and forced me into Cavendish mode. That would be good training for those road guys. I have had way more incidents with people than with dogs. There was an isolated incident with a raccoon and on the road at that.
    Many people head out to the woods and don't realize that they will encounter mountain bikes. I am sure we have all run into hikers, specially in the AF that think we are nuts for riding in there. They have voiced this to me. Most places are not bike specific and I have never run into a dog at Buck or Harwood. The Don is a whole different story. The place has hit critical mass and it is not like anywhere else. By the same token, there has to be a modicum of respect towards others if you have a dog and it is not well behaved and it should always be leashed if is is aggressive or runs at people. But even leashed dogs can be a problem if they are on 20 ft of leash and taking up the whole trail. Lets all get along people.
    Burnt Norton

sock puppet

I want a dog

There's a distinct difference in tone here between dog owners and non-dog owners. Perhaps the dog owners could take a lesson in that...
    Or you can learn from dog owners.

I am more afraid of some people than of any dog.

Including riders coming around the blind corner at speed. Particularly in the Don.

Paul - if great majority of posters around here disagree with you - you may consider adjusting your opinion. Trying to go with your head through the wall is not going to take you anywhere.

I dont take my dog to any of the trails but completely respect the right of those that do. Our trails are not speed training velodrom type of facilities. They are multiuse trails and that is good. The more people use them - the more will be built.

It is surprisingly easy to peacefully coexist.

I suggest you try it.

Oggie
    Signature

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Reading comprehension people. It's also a selfish act to go bombing around blind corners, spook horses, not slow down around pedestrians, other riders, kids, not yield to the climbing rider etc.

Of course we have to use the trails together. To not share is to be selfish.

Allowing your unleashed dog to run on the trail is not sharing.

Several of you dog owners have stated you don't bring your dog on the trail for safety reasons. How is that inconsistent with what I've said?

Oggie, I don't need any advice from you, thanks.

sock puppet

I want a dog

Reading comprehension people. It's also a selfish act to go bombing around blind corners, spook horses, not slow down around pedestrians, other riders, kids, not yield to the climbing rider etc.

Several of you dog owners have stated you don't bring your dog on the trail for safety reasons. How is that inconsistent with what I've said?

It seems that all of your problems in life were self inflicted Paul. You have become so bitter and miserable, but the person in the mirror might be the culprit.

Chill out. No one wants to be around that kind of attitude. Where did Paul that I used to know go?
    Signature

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Maybe if you stopped listening to rumours and ask the source you might realize I'm doing quite well, thanks.

sock puppet

I want a dog

Maybe if you stopped listening to rumours and ask the source you might realize I'm doing quite well, thanks.
    I dont listen to rumours. I am glad that you are doing well. I wish you nothing but the best.
    Oggie
    Signature

IH, HYHT.
    I've been trying to get my Lab on the local trails for years but she refuses to ride with clipin pedals and platforms hurt her paws. Maybe she needs shorter crank arms.

mtbr member
    I use to take my dog out on the trails when he was younger and had lots of energy, I am sure that many of you have seen him a races and on the trail. As for training a dog while on a mountain bike I am a firm believer that the owner is the alpha and should always lead that way you can take the dog off to the side when you hear approaching riders and make them sit quietly, they will be exercising and happy so they will listen and you have already established yourself as the leader.

On the other end, I do regularly ride though an off leash dog park to get to some really good trails around town. I ride with caution and confidence. Most of the time the dogs could care less that I am there other times they bark and chase me so I stop and say hi that is all they want to do, they think it is a game. Be confident and calm and the dog will respect that no matter what the owners are like and the demeanor of the dog. I won't say every dog but the majority of them that are off leash are well behaved because the owner has confidence in them to not run away and again they are exercising and are happy.
    Rocky Element
    My Attempt at a Blog

Lemmy Rules!

Completely consistent. You don't want to hurt yourself because of irresponsible dog owners. I don't want my dogs to get hurt by irresponsible riders.

The point is that no-one has an absolute right to a multi-use trail. Not riders. Not hikers. Not dog owners. So we all have to respect one another.

If you are unable to do that, and want to take a zero-tolerance approach, put your bike in your trunk and go ride Hardwood. Ain't no dogs there.
    Strava made me do it....

sock puppet

I want a dog

Completely consistent. You don't want to hurt yourself because of irresponsible dog owners. I don't want my dogs to get hurt by irresponsible riders.

The point is that no-one has an absolute right to a multi-use trail. Not riders. Not hikers. Not dog owners. So we all have to respect one another.

If you are unable to do that, and want to take a zero-tolerance approach, put your bike in your trunk and go ride Hardwood. Ain't no dogs there.
    No dogs other than Lapdogs? Whats the difference?
    Signature

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    No dogs other than Lapdogs? Whats the difference?
    You'll find out soon, I understand
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    May 2007

You're missing one - no cyclist wants to hurt your unleashed dog, not even -Todd-. I'll always run myself off the trail before hitting a person or animal. It's instinct... You've seen me hit a tree with a recently healed broken collarbone to avoid hitting a rider who crashed right in front of me.

No one has an absolute right to the trail. Yes! I agree 100% We must share. Yes! We all must treat each other with respect. Yes! All great points.

Allowing your unleashed dog IS taking over the trail. It is NOT sharing. It is disrespectful and dangerous to all other trail users.

Dog owners have all the rights they need to take their pet into the multi-use trails.

And, final point. I've never said anything about bans or laws or zero tolerance. We should be able to manage ourselves on the trails with a little common consideration, courtesy and respect.

Please, if you're planning to bring your dog to a mountain bike trail, or any multi-use trail, use a damn leash.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Here's my thoughts. If there isn't a sign, bylaw, or something else which says that dogs must be on a leash on a given trail, then I'm going to expect that there may be dogs running loose on it. I'll ride responsibly and take reasonable actions to avoid running one over. Key word, reasonable. I'm not going to endanger myself to save a dog, I'm not going to run myself into a tree or off a hill. And dog owners will need to take responsibility for their pets, if their dog chases after a cyclist and gets run over, well, maybe they should've trained the dog a bit better.

sock puppet

I want a dog

Quote Originally Posted by aerius View Post
    Here's my thoughts. If there isn't a sign, bylaw, or something else which says that dogs must be on a leash on a given trail, then I'm going to expect that there may be dogs running loose on it. I'll ride responsibly and take reasonable actions to avoid running one over. Key word, reasonable. I'm not going to endanger myself to save a dog, I'm not going to run myself into a tree or off a hill. And dog owners will need to take responsibility for their pets, if their dog chases after a cyclist and gets run over, well, maybe they should've trained the dog a bit better.
    I am fine with your point of view. I have seen 2 crashes related to a dog bolting right in front of the cyclist in the last 10 years. Once on the road and once on the trail.

I have seen way more accidents due to other cyclists errors or lack of trail etiquette or due to plain "oh $hit" moments caused by our own mistakes.

In general i would like to see dogs well controlled by the owners but i dont see it a big deal and/or a big threat to cyclists' safety at all.
    Signature

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by aerius View Post
    One also has to factor in the area they live and areas they ride in and be aware that mindsets around dogs in rural areas differ then those within Urban type areas. Rural areas are more predominately off leash then more built up areas.

Interestingly have met way more friendly off leash dogs riding in the woods outside of Kingston then near Toronto. And almost all those problem dogs weigh less then Ruby ball.

mtbr member
    What's this running over a dog thing? Are people riding tanks here? Cause hitting a dog, even a small one, to the point of really injuring it, would probably mean a pretty nasty crash. Has anyone here ever hit a dog? I have never been close to it. I think I ran into a dog (not literally) in sigletrack once or twice. I think all the other times was on wider paths with lots of options and opportunities to avoid any issues. In fact, I have not really had that many issues with people or dogs while mountain biking. Commuting and riding the Waterfront trail and MUP's is a whole different story.
    Burnt Norton

Workin for the weekend!
    February is such a cranky month. Now that I think about it, all the attention these unleashed dogs give me likely boils down to the bacon I keep in my pack for emergencies.

I should have known better...
    Todd

Lemmy Rules!
    February is such a cranky month. Now that I think about it, all the attention these unleashed dogs give me likely boils down to the bacon I keep in my pack for emergencies.

I should have known better...

If you are keeping bacon in your pack, you are in far more danger from me than your dog... (mmmmmm bacon) :-)
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    everyone needs to get a fat bike so they can ride more. This will make them happy and less cranky. Only one dog so far fat biking in Dundas Valley. It was a pleasant encounter.
    Burnt Norton

No. Just No.
    Quote Originally Posted by secret agent View Post
    What's this running over a dog thing? Are people riding tanks here? Cause hitting a dog, even a small one, to the point of really injuring it, would probably mean a pretty nasty crash. Has anyone here ever hit a dog?
    Running over a dog is probably a poor choice of words, even if I didn't the phrase use myself. I have made contact with dogs a couple of times, but then again it really didn't matter to me or the dog because I was only going at a walking pace which is generally the way I navigate around - overtaking or oncoming - just about any other animate creatures on the trail that aren't also riding a bike (e.g. walkers, horses, dogs, children, etc.)

Picture me at a snail pace, which is best for everyone's safety, dog accidentally or intentionally bumps me/bike. I'm stable enough and ready for anything any time I'm around other trails user so it doesn't do anything to me. No harm done, I go on my way.

If I choose to ride a place where I can reasonably anticipate there might be regular dog traffic slowing me down to the aforementioned very slow speed on a regular basis, well that's on me for my choice of riding area. Safety on a multi-use trail (which is almost every trail) has to go to the lowest common denominator, not to accommodate me as a potentially fast moving bike rider.

Maddog
    Jan 2010
    It's the really big unleashed cats on the trails that I worry about.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jMaddog View Post
    It's the really big unleashed cats on the trails that I worry about.
    I didn't know they had that type of adult establishment at the local trail head.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I don't know if any of this is helping any, but, are you still getting a dog?

If so, what kind?
    "By Your Command"

Lemmy Rules!
    You're missing one - no cyclist wants to hurt your unleashed dog, not even -Todd-. I'll always run myself off the trail before hitting a person or animal. It's instinct... You've seen me hit a tree with a recently healed broken collarbone to avoid hitting a rider who crashed right in front of me.

No one has an absolute right to the trail. Yes! I agree 100% We must share. Yes! We all must treat each other with respect. Yes! All great points.

Allowing your unleashed dog IS taking over the trail. It is NOT sharing. It is disrespectful and dangerous to all other trail users.

Dog owners have all the rights they need to take their pet into the multi-use trails.

And, final point. I've never said anything about bans or laws or zero tolerance. We should be able to manage ourselves on the trails with a little common consideration, courtesy and respect.

Please, if you're planning to bring your dog to a mountain bike trail, or any multi-use trail, use a damn leash.
    I think we agree. End of debate.

Now can you please go kiss and make up with the Oggster?
    Strava made me do it....

Terrain Sculptor
    I hit a leash once. Went right OTB & crashed into a bear. If that dog was unleashed I would have been fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja's Son
    You may be happy to hear that my dad has kicked cancer's ass. Now he's looking for whoever sent it.

Lemmy Rules!
    I hit trail ninja with my bike once. I just bounced right back off hi
    Strava made me do it....

Keep on Rockin...
    Do it!!

Mountain Dew!!! Good tune - use to cover that at local pubs back in the day!

Trail dogs - depends on where you live and ride, and the breed. I've typically built and ridden trails in rather desolate areas so the chances of conflict with other riders have been rare. The herding breeds I've had have a strong desire to guard and stay with the pack. Never had a real problem with this breed running off for any reason except maybe when they were pups. I got a thing for cattle dogs. Sturdy, fast, tough, loyal dogs of just the right size and not prone to run off.

Maddog
    Jan 2010
    Thought I remembered a dog racing in the frostbike last year. Check out the 3min mark.
    THE FROSTBIKE ~ Winter Mountain Bike Race v2013 - YouTube

Muskoka

really...seriously???!!!

I have been riding with my dogs off leash since...forever! Maybe just dumb luck but I've never had an issue with humans or other dogs in all that time!

And thanks to the OP...awesome video 8-)
    https://get.google.com/albumarchive/...127?source=pwa

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"
    Rocky Mountain Sherpa Overland

29er
    Apr 2010
    Trail dogs are awesome. Mine is trained to run behind me. Wears a cow bell and high viz vest

mtbr member
    I think the vinegar in this post is missing the point. I'm all for dogs, but first consider what you're going to do when your not riding with the dog. Think about the trails or trips you want to ride that don't allow dogs, and what you're going to do with the dog when you go on those rides. Think about the off season as well. Remember that a dog is a big commitment and will change your life.

I personally do not currently have a dog because I like the freedom to drop everything and drive to Moab on a long weekend. My riding and outdoor lifestyle would take time away from a dog in a way that I feel would be unfair to that animal.

As far as the leashed/unleashed thing goes, I've had an unleashed dog (Sheltie) run out after me with intent to bite, and the dog got under the front wheel of my riding partner who was behind me. It sent him over the bars and led to a very ugly confrontation between us and the dog owner where there was no winner (even though his dog was illegally off leash). It was even worse for the dog, who broke several ribs and a leg.

I've ridden with good dogs in the past, and I have also watched great dogs shrug off all training for the instincts they were born with. In my opinion, it's not worth the risk to others safety to have a dog off leash, even if you have personally never had a problem.

I've also had bad experiences with leashed dogs. Retractable leashes are the devil, and really are bad for the training of your dog.

Experience: Dog owner for 10+ years, moutain biker for more than that, cross country skiier, hiker, and all around backcountry user.

mtbr member
    Here's my little dude, Apollo:

I want a dog-1382380_10151912266167866_1892194430_n.jpg

I got him about 3 years ago with the intention of taking him on rides with me. It's been fun for both of us, and anyone he encounters on the trail reacts positively to him. After about 2 years with him on well-populated multi-use trails, this is the advice I'd give my former self and anyone looking to start riding with their dog responsibly.

1. He needs to be trained to heed your voice in the presence of intense distraction. Training at an off-leash dog park is perfect. Training on a long lead in a park with kids is good too. "Leave it" is something you and he have got to have in your vocabulary.

2. Teach him when it's ok to run in front and when he's got to be behind you. Lots of cars in the lot at the trailhead? Rear-tire kind of ride. Nobody around? Make sure he's got his bell (he should have this regardless). 90% of the time, he comes back and tells ME when someone's coming.

3. Use common sense. If your idiot dog tries to bite your tires while riding around the block, he's not ready. Some dogs may never be, for reasons of obedience, owner incompetence, or stamina. I took my other dog on a ride ONCE. She's just not that kind of dog... Obviously, this maxim applies to other behavior as well.

4. The more familiar he is with the trail, the more likely he'll be able to prioritize your relationship. Novelty is the "wrench in the spokes" when it comes to well-trained dogs ignoring their owners. Nowadays, I limit my dog to 3-4 trails we both know very well. I do notice when I take him on a new trail, he's a little bit slower to respond. Familiarity with surroundings is the key to managing instinctual responses, IMO.

Apollo will "GO" when it's free and open, go to my "BACK" tire when I tell him to (any time there are people, horses, or other bikers), get "OFF" the trail and sit patiently while others pass. And if a deer, coyote, rabbit or squirrel should appear, "LEAVE IT" works as well as a tug on the leash, especially with a reward once he's back. Not once has he gone after wildlife, another dog, or a person, save for the a-hole who was trying to break into my car at the end of a night ride. I don't know how he knew that one...

Yes, he's an animal. Yes, he has the potential to be unpredictable, but such is the nature of life when you leave your house. A well trained dog with a responsible owner has every damn right to be on a multi-use trail as do any of its other users unless explicitly forbidden by law.

People who think otherwise need to reevaluate their priorities when on the trail or find other trails. Dog owners who take their dogs in trails where they shouldn't (legally), or whose dogs aren't ready should do the same.

29er
    Apr 2010
    You have to train your dog, any disobedient dog can be a nuisance. Doesn't matter where you are, trail or no trail

mtbr member
    Super cool if you have a dog that is good at trail riding. Some dog breeds and some individual dogs are just made for trail riding and don't need to train much. They are just natural at following you. However, there are lots of breeds and dogs that just aren't cut out for stuff like that like chase animals, scents, or just not into it. Also, some areas are just too overpopulated to do things like that.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I want a dog-img_4188.jpg

That's Leroy, the best trail dog in the world.

Back to the OP. Get a dog. Having a well-trained trail dog is one of the most fun, fulfilling things you will ever do. It is a lot of work, and the training never really ends. But that's part of the fun.

Well-trained, well-socialized dogs have every right to be on multi-use trails (unless off-leash is explicitly prohibited - know your local regs).

Riding is excellent exercise for your dog. Dogs are pack animals and riding is a really fun pack activity for your dog. Know your dog though - keep the ride length suitable to their level of condition, breed, etc. Be especially careful about hydration and temperature. Dogs don't sweat so when it's really hot either don't take him with you are make sure you can let him cool off frequently in ponds and streams along the way. I always plan our rides around places for him to swim and cool off and drink. Bring extra water in your pack to share and cool him off.

Training to voice command, as previously mentioned, is very important. Teaching commands for getting out of the way, stay/wait and also 'freeze' to let him know to stop whatever he is doing and be still are very important. Teach him to ignore everything else but you and the ride. Teach your riding buddies to treat him like another rider - give him room in front and in back so in the event he does something unexpected they can maneuver safely. Teach them the some of the basic voice commands, too.

The best thing you can do for other trail users is demonstrate your control and his training. When you come across walkers and in particular equestrians, stop and make him lay down off the side of the trail and wait (and with equestrians, make yourself known - talk to them and ask them what they want you to do. Let them know you have a dog. Let them tell you what to do, and their horses will know you are a person by your voice which will help keep them calm). As clearly elicited in this thread, you have no way of knowing where other trail users exist with respect to dogs. Model the good behavior for them.

Last, make sure you pick a dog, mutt or pure, that has the physiology suitable for trail running. Large breeds really aren't built for sustained running. Some small breeds do great, like nuclear-powered Jack Russells. Go easy getting a puppy trail-trained. Don't do sustained running with puppies under 18 months as their bones and joints are still growing until then. Work up the length of the rides gradually. Leroy's maximum is about 15 miles with plenty of stops to swim and drink in moderate temps (65-70 degrees F). Often the rides are 6-8 miles. Don't forget to give them time to recover between rides - don't over do it!

Do it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by feral View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4188.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	245.2 KB 
ID:	868437

That's Leroy, the best trail dog in the world.

Back to the OP. Get a dog. Having a well-trained trail dog is one of the most fun, fulfilling things you will ever do. It is a lot of work, and the training never really ends. But that's part of the fun.

Well-trained, well-socialized dogs have every right to be on multi-use trails (unless off-leash is explicitly prohibited - know your local regs).

Riding is excellent exercise for your dog. Dogs are pack animals and riding is a really fun pack activity for your dog. Know your dog though - keep the ride length suitable to their level of condition, breed, etc. Be especially careful about hydration and temperature. Dogs don't sweat so when it's really hot either don't take him with you are make sure you can let him cool off frequently in ponds and streams along the way. I always plan our rides around places for him to swim and cool off and drink. Bring extra water in your pack to share and cool him off.

Training to voice command, as previously mentioned, is very important. Teaching commands for getting out of the way, stay/wait and also 'freeze' to let him know to stop whatever he is doing and be still are very important. Teach him to ignore everything else but you and the ride. Teach your riding buddies to treat him like another rider - give him room in front and in back so in the event he does something unexpected they can maneuver safely. Teach them the some of the basic voice commands, too.

The best thing you can do for other trail users is demonstrate your control and his training. When you come across walkers and in particular equestrians, stop and make him lay down off the side of the trail and wait (and with equestrians, make yourself known - talk to them and ask them what they want you to do. Let them know you have a dog. Let them tell you what to do, and their horses will know you are a person by your voice which will help keep them calm). As clearly elicited in this thread, you have no way of knowing where other trail users exist with respect to dogs. Model the good behavior for them.

Last, make sure you pick a dog, mutt or pure, that has the physiology suitable for trail running. Large breeds really aren't built for sustained running. Some small breeds do great, like nuclear-powered Jack Russells. Go easy getting a puppy trail-trained. Don't do sustained running with puppies under 18 months as their bones and joints are still growing until then. Work up the length of the rides gradually. Leroy's maximum is about 15 miles with plenty of stops to swim and drink in moderate temps (65-70 degrees F). Often the rides are 6-8 miles. Don't forget to give them time to recover between rides - don't over do it!

Do it.
    Great post. A few breeds that are built to run: Airedale Terrier, Border Collie, Australian Shepherd, Vizsla, Rhodesian Ridgeback (bred to hunt freaking Lions), Weimaraner.

29er
    Apr 2010
    saying that all dogs should be banned because one dog owner was too lazy to do the proper training is silly

that is like blaming all law abiding gun owners because one idiot decided to shoot up a school

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by aliikane View Post
    Super cool if you have a dog that is good at trail riding. Some dog breeds and some individual dogs are just made for trail riding and don't need to train much. They are just natural at following you. However, there are lots of breeds and dogs that just aren't cut out for stuff like that like chase animals, scents, or just not into it. Also, some areas are just too overpopulated to do things like that.
    And who ever says dogs can't be off leash and properly trained as all should be. Haven't seen dogs used for herding sheep work.

Had this happen a couple of times. Came upon a dog off leash on a trail system that seemed to be up to something. Say that because it tried to block me from traveling down the trail. And was trying to steer me back the way I came. When I looked at the dog again realized it was the type that they use herding sheep. Let the furry guy herd me back to his owner. Both of us laughed and no anger. End result of 15 minutes was finding out from the owner a track elsewhere I had no idea of. Something I would have lost if I got all upset and such.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan GSR View Post

that is like blaming all law abiding gun owners because one idiot decided to shoot up a school
    But we do that.

mtbr member

Dags.

Dags? Yeah I like dags. I ride with my dog sometimes. I do take into consideration a few factors before deciding to take him though. Certain trails are hard on him so I'll leave him at home if I'm going to ride stuff with really long fast decents because it's hard on him to go full out for more than a couple miles. The local Anchorage trails can get busy at certain times of day (after work sessions) with alot of folks trying to break their strava records so I'll opt to leave him home. But week day afternoons he has a blast running trails with me. He knows the sound of my derailleur dropping gears and will pull off the trail and let me pass and then fall in behind. He is super friendly and has never acted aggressively to other dogs or people. He's pretty simple minded and as such only worries about having fun and not judging weather or not other trail users have the right to be on his trails. I admire his ability to just be cool to everyone and eagerly say hello to everyone with a tail wagging introduction. If only people were so friendlly to other trail users. We could all learn alot from dogs on trails. His hearing and smell are quite a bit better than mine and it's nice to get a heads up if we're about to run into a Moose or bear on the trail (or another rider who has a tough time figuring out directional signs). I don't own a protective or aggressive dog. Yeah he'll warn me and let me protect myself and him if neccesary. I think that folks who own protective dogs need to be proactive and think about how that dog will interact with other trail users. My dog has met thousands of other dogs and people without issue. I take it very seriously when he is scared to approach another person or dog. He has a much better understanding of the body language of other people and dogs and as such I usually take that as a warning that that person or dog is bad news. Basically if my dog doesn't like you, I probably wont like you. If someone were to hit him on the trail and it was his fault or mine I'll own up to it. If he runs over to greet you tail wagging, head down, ears soft, and someone kicks him. That person will get to experience eating through a straw.

I want a dog-545248_10201336109541206_665974557_n.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I want a dog-857911_10201372848139648_397449209_o.jpg  

Last edited by bigskyguy; 02-09-2014 at 12:40 PM. Reason: spelling
    To prepare for a race there is nothing better than a good pheasant, some champagne and a woman.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Edit... to the people who sent me personal messages - thanks, but I know how to ride a bike. And safely.

Taking an unleashed dog in a mountain bike trail, unless you know you're alone, is an inherently selfish act.

I'm out...
    I think you are spot on. I ride around the Corvallis Oregon area. McDonald forest single track is tight, technical and very thickly covered on either side.
    Having a dog on that trail endangers the dog and the riders.
    I cringe when one comes along with our group and have had several near misses with pups popping onto the trail from nowhere.

It would really bother me a lot if I hit and hurt someone's best buddy. If you have to take them on the trail, go running with them instead.

One last comment ~ I read on a previous post admonishing that we as riders need to be 100% in control of ourselves. I hate to tell that guy this, but most folks I know who do this are on the edge more often than not ( me included ) and control is a fleeting thing.
    Things happen and gravity works every time. You can pop the same hip or root or huck 100 times & crash and not do anything really any differently. If you want 100% control I'd take up sitting still in a recliner 😃 (not meant as a flame, just an observation)

mtbr member
    I'm really curious as to what people are referring to as a "mountain bike trail". Outside of a few designated areas, almost every trail around where I live is either hiker only (dogs ok or not...it's specified per trail) or multi-use (bikers, hikers, horses, dogs, cats, iguanas...) Bikers are responsible for yielding to ALL of those things. Honest question (with a tinge of hyperbole): is it different where you are, or have you planted a flag in trails that are actually multi-use and claimed them in the name of MTBR?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tipsword View Post
    One last comment ~ I read on a previous post admonishing that we as riders need to be 100% in control of ourselves. I hate to tell that guy this, but most folks I know who do this are on the edge more often than not ( me included ) and control is a fleeting thing.
    Things happen and gravity works every time. You can pop the same hip or root or huck 100 times & crash and not do anything really any differently. If you want 100% control I'd take up sitting still in a recliner  (not meant as a flame, just an observation)
    Yeah, I know we don't ride 100% in control at all time. The sport wouldn't be fun if we did. My point was exaggerated to stress that if you don't ride 100% in control at all times, you can't place 100% responsibility on other trails users.

I've been riding for over 20+ years now. I have yet to injure myself, another person, or animal while approaching each other on a mutual trail (this includes a lot of riding locally where encounters with hikers, equestrians, families, runners, is very, very common). I can't even think of any oh crap moments off the top my head.

It's pretty simple, if you are unsure of what's around a corner, you should be traveling at a speed that allows you to stop safely should anything 'appear'. Similarly, when approaching any other trail user, you should be slowing to a very controlled pace till they are passed/overtaken. It's just polite. Following those simple rules, negative interactions with other trials users should be so limited that it shouldn't cause any worry, even to the most uptight people.

And I'll even lay it out this way. If you are worried you'll hit dog, you should be worried you'll hit child, you should be worried about spooking an equestrian and you should be doing far more to control yourself on trails other user frequent. Any if you are worried about any of those things, you are not being a responsible trail user.

You want to let'er rip. Sign up for a race or head to whistler bike park where people don't bring dogs, children and generally should know to get the hell off the trail if they aren't moving fast. Funny thing is, in a race, or whistler bike park, I'm sure you are far more likely to hit someone else. Why? cause in general, we as mountain bikers are the real problem, the vast majority of us are not responsible trail users, never thinking about the experience of the people around us.

Jumper
    My trail dog is an Australian Cattle Dog. She goes with me on every ride, whether it be night rides or snow; she can go for hours. I only worry about the timber rattlers in the spring.

Gambril Park - YouTube

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I wish there was a "like" button CptSydor that makes perfect sense

mtbr Decade+
    Wow, this thread was just recommended to me by MTBR on Facebook!

The only thing about only taking well trained dogs on trails is how do you train them? I know I trained mine on some clandestine trails near my house. Dogs behaviour improves with age and while socializing mine, off leash, when he was a puppie on trails, it didn't always go as planned...

I think though, life forms deserve patience from other life forms and people that prioritize their possessions over people and animals are really, really, really sad people.
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

29er
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    But we do that.
    and it is stupid

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I usually try to bunny hop my dog if he's in the way this way he doesnt screw my strava run up....

Rep'n the 905
    Jun 2012
    I ride where there are plenty of people, kids, horses and dogs. I've literally been bombing down a flowy section and had to come to a hard stop as 3 riders on horseback were heading up at me. I would has lost that battle lol.

Also had a dog come over the top of a hill as I was climbing it, forced me to stop and circled me barking and showing its teeth. No owner in sight. It freaked me out, thought I was going to have to defend myself. But then the owner came walking up the hill. He never acknowledged me or apologized. Better yet he could barely get the dog under control.

Then I've been riding and come up on other rides who had there dogs with them, yes dogS. They were all off leash and with one word they were at his side. It was amazing. I was blown away at how well trained these dogs were.

As some people have said. And more specifically for me I ride on a multi use trail. I know these going in so for me I know that I may encounter an animal or human on the trail so I am prepared and have no problems stopping. If we were talking about a race or something then I completely agree that an off leash dog should not be there. But on a normal trail, if the dog is well trained then I'm all for it. No problems here.

I plan on getting a dog in the next year and my plan is to have him/her ride with me. So if your looking to do the same I would choose the breed wisely. Viszla, Ridgeback or other high energy dogs would do well. I'm looking at a German Shorthaired Pointer myself. Tons of energy, but it is part hound so not sure I'm going to be able to have him/her 100% focused on the ride if a chipmunk darts in front. The dog may not be able to control his/her natural instincts as a hound to chase it. Will have to see.

Anyways, my vote is go for it! Train him/her constantly and start small and work your way up. Its not guaranteed to work but either way you'll have a life long friend.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    BigGK, I have a 2 year old GSP that I ride with. I also hunt with him, initially training him to do the signature 'pointing' when he sees something. When he was younger and we started riding together he actually had the problem of freezing and pointing at any wildlife he saw while riding. He has never had the instinct to chase, even as a 10 week old puppy he would freeze and point at wildlife. But he has since learned the difference between hunting and biking, but gets equally excited (very) when he sees either a gun or bike shoes come out. Don't know if you are familiar with the hydro-cut, but I can do 2 full laps in 2h40min with him, not including water breaks (usually just let him lay down in and drink from creeks), won't slow you down!

Rep'n the 905
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by msl0 View Post
    BigGK, I have a 2 year old GSP that I ride with. I also hunt with him, initially training him to do the signature 'pointing' when he sees something. When he was younger and we started riding together he actually had the problem of freezing and pointing at any wildlife he saw while riding. He has never had the instinct to chase, even as a 10 week old puppy he would freeze and point at wildlife. But he has since learned the difference between hunting and biking, but gets equally excited (very) when he sees either a gun or bike shoes come out. Don't know if you are familiar with the hydro-cut, but I can do 2 full laps in 2h40min with him, not including water breaks (usually just let him lay down in and drink from creeks), won't slow you down!
    Thats amazing! I'm not a hunter so I figured if I could train my GSP to ride with me it would help him/her burn off some of that energy! Yea I'd love to get my dog to point as well. Sounds like a great dog you have there! I hope to one day have what you got!

Any problems you've ran into with your GSP? Or any info/tips you have for someone who is looking into that breed?

mtbr member
    I want a dog-img959173.jpg

Trail users who hate other trails users do not belong on mountain bike trails. Period.

Chick on a bike
    May 2013
    This thread was posted to my FB page as we were driving back from getting our first Vizsla breed dog. He is 12 weeks old and we are eagerly looking forward to the day we can take him on his first full mountain bike lap. We know it will be a long time with lots of growth mentally and physically from him before we can do that.
    We have a beagle that we ride with quite often. She is very social and loves to run. She wears a bell and other people know she is with us because it is usually on slower group rides. She can drink from a water bottle or camelback. She runs behind either of us and will get to the side when someone needs to pass. Our local trails aren't heavily populated. I have encountered numerous dogs on the trails and never had a bad experience. I always speak loudly and in a non threatening tone as well as slowing down to let them get control of their dog(s). We usually greet/smile at each other and continue on our separate ways. It does take a lot of training to have a good trail dog. But, it can be rewarding to not only us but to others that ride with us.

Keep on Rockin...
    Speaking of dogs....

Two days ago riding down a back road on the snow and ice I passed two fellows off the side. I caught glimpse of something black tear off from the two as I passed. Figured it was a fat black Lab. As I picked up the pace I turned to see I was being chased by thick, black pit bull. I hit the gas and thought the dog would give up. Nope. He picked up speed and was on my heels. "Jump off and put the bike between me and the dog and do battle, or pedal harder", I thought. Often I keep a large fixed-blade knife attached to my bars (I ride in some remote places and more than once had run-ins with unsavory critters). Unfortunately I didn't have the knife. I didn't want the dog getting a free shot at my clipped in leg either while I tried to pedal away. Split-second decisions. The dog was big, and thick, so I figured we wouldn't be able to keep up much longer. So, I laid into the pedals with all I had. It was about 15 degrees out, I was heavily dressed, and was running studded Nokians - but, slowly I pulled away from the beast and he gave up the chase.

After my heart rate returned to the triple digits, I started to laugh. I came home on a different road.

Chick on a bike
    May 2013
    That sounds like a hog dog.
    I don't road ride much, i prefer mtb. But, the other day i was road riding due to wet trails and a large dog came out at me on an 'out and back'. Heading back, I had my water bottle ready to spray it, but didn't feel it was adequate. Luckily, as I was hollering at the dog, the owner was calling it back as well. It turned away from me finally. But, I still pedaled pretty damn fast to catch back up with my friends.
    Never had a problem with trails dogs, just yard dogs.

Workin for the weekend!
    So much Dog sh!t on the trail tonight... Why? The snow helps it stand out, making it easy for dog owners to notice. And the steam...

Amazing!
    Todd

29er
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGK View Post
    not sure I'm going to be able to have him/her 100% focused on the ride if a chipmunk darts in front.
    electric shock collar
    best way to control the dog off leash
    first time my dog saw a deer, I didn't have one. she took off
    second time she saw a deer I was ready, she took off, quick zap and she came right back

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    electric shock collar
    second time she saw a deer I was ready, she took off, quick zap and she came right back

HEY...this would be great to use on dog owner's who don't pick up after their dog on or off the trail!!

Maybe they just need training, like sticking their face in it to help them learn what to do!!!
    "By Your Command"

Chick on a bike
    May 2013
    electric shock collar
    Helped my beagle be able to turn her nose off and brain back on when out on the trail. I totally agree this is a wonderful training aid when used properly. Mine has a buzzer sound and a shocker (with 8 diff setting levels). The buzzer sound is all I use now.

Workin for the weekend!
    Hiking on the Bruce trail this weekend with my 5&6 year old kids, an unleashed dog knocks one of them over and takes the hiking stick from the other. Tears and squeals ensue. Buddy couldn't even apologize to the kids... WTF?

It'll be a different kind of exchange the next time I'm out there on my bike. I don't like to confront people when I'm with the children.
    Todd

sock puppet

I want a dog

Hiking on the Bruce trail this weekend with my 5&6 year old kids, an unleashed dog knocks one of them over and takes the hiking stick from the other. Tears and squeals ensue. Buddy couldn't even apologize to the kids... WTF?

It'll be a different kind of exchange the next time I'm out there on my bike. I don't like to confront people when I'm with the children.
    We encountered many dogs on bruce trail in dundas valley. Some of them were sitting in the middle of the trail with "now what" face.

We slowed down, petted some of them, exchanged pleasantries with owners and kept moving on. It was fun and relaxed day in the saddle.

Everyone was happy.
    Signature

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0