mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Hydrocut ... what are the trail conditions like?

... just wondering if any of the local riders have checked out the Hydrocut in the last few days? I'm not one for muddy trails and would prefer not making the trip if they still need time to dry.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    I haven't been there yet this spring but the forecast is heavy rain Friday through Sunday so it will still be some time before it's dry.
    There are no "mistakes"; only learning curves.

arc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I hiked some of the west end last night. Some places are bare and firming up. Most trails still have about 3 inches of ice with bare stretches and 25% of the trails have over 6 inches of snow.

It was a very depressing walk.

OCD
    Trail conditions at the cut still will not lend well to riding without causing serious trail damage.

Ride time is coming, just not soon enough. :-(

If anyone is really looking to get out to the cut there is a trail day taking place this weekend so it would be a great opportunity to check them out on foot... :-)

If you are interested in helping with the trail day, email Igor, his contact info is available at
    http://www.waterloocyclingclub.org/trails/hydro.asp

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I saw a mountain biker coming out of the Hydrocut entrance when I was on my road ride yesterday. If I hadn't been in such a rush to get home, I would have stopped and asked him how the trails were. I'm sure that they won't be rideable yet for quite some time, especially if we keep getting all this rain.

Hopefully people will rein in their enthusiasm for getting out onto the trails until they are in good condition.

Unfortunately, my neighbor took up MTBing last year and has no idea what damage he does to the trails with his buddies when they go out to play in the mud. Once a few people see some cars in the parking lots, then everyone will figure, hey, I guess the trails are good to go.
    Last edited by racergurl; 04-17-2008 at 01:38 PM.
    High on Life

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Given the nice weather we've had this week I thought I'd bump this thread up for an update.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Yeehaaaa! It's a gorgeous day out and the trails are calling!!!!! I'll go check em out, maybe stop to pick some of the winter debris off of the trails also.
    Later!!!!!
    Last edited by racergurl; 04-17-2008 at 01:39 PM.
    High on Life

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    So I've done my first trail ride of the season! Most of the trails are dry at the Hydrocut. Few mucky spots here and there that you can carefully get around. There is still quite a bit of ice on Adams Run. A few trees down. Nice bit of new trail too!

Was great to be on the trails again, away from all the psycho drivers and exhaust fumes.

A real eye-opener for me too. Where the hell did my "trail" legs go? I'm beat.
    How am I ever gonna do all those laps at Mansfield next Sunday?!
    Last edited by racergurl; 04-17-2008 at 04:24 PM.
    High on Life

OCD
    Yep, the trails are in pretty good shape, even Igor (trail maintenance champ at the cut) gave it a thumbs up on the WCC board. There are a few sections that need to be walked to avoid rutting but for the most part it's in good shape. There is a large lake to walk around or through if you venture into Frankenstein, I personally found it easier to turn back and hit the other trails for now. All this friggin winter training has again done nothing good for my trail legs, either that or someone added 20lbs to my bike! Oh well, two weeks and all will be back in order I'm sure. :-)

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    That's good news, thanks for the updates racergurl and jsquid.

Oh ... and this subject of losing your "trail" legs is quite sad. If I used my limbs any less I'd be turning into a snake. I hope I can still reach the pedals.

arc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    You don't need to walk around the lake in Frankenstein anymore, the waters gone down. There's a path of rocks three inches below the water just to the left of the main line. There are some really soft spots around, as well as some snow/ice on the west side.

Saturday afternoon will likely be busy on the trails, mixing slow and fast riders with hikers and dog walkers.

OCD
    Quote Originally Posted by arc
    You don't need to walk around the lake in Frankenstein anymore, the waters gone down. There's a path of rocks three inches below the water just to the left of the main line. There are some really soft spots around, as well as some snow/ice on the west side.

Saturday afternoon will likely be busy on the trails, mixing slow and fast riders with hikers and dog walkers.
    Great news, that was about 10 inches deep on Tuesday. Tomorrow = Puslinch, Sunday = Hydrocut!

Thanks for the update.

Cheers,