Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

How are the tools from MEC?

2K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  canadian-clydesdale 
#1 ·
I remember walking through MEC's cycling section awhile back (haven't been there in awhile now), but I do recall seeing that they had a tools section for cyclist. Does anyone have any experience with the quality of them? If I remember right they were branded as Filzers or Fitzlers or something? Can't seem to find any reviews here on mtbr. Looking at buying a whole kit and i didn't see anyone at the fall show selling parktool 30 piece kits:mad:

#5 ·
MEC tools are just fine for home use, I havn't had any issues with them.
Price is still better compared to $ at lbs. They do have a nice boxed set with all the needed pieces for about $100, which is nice if you have no tools at all, but otherwise just buy the pieces you need.:thumbsup:

#8 ·
Cheers! said:
MEC stuff tends to never go on sale unless it's being discontinued.

The Fizer tools are ok... I have the chain whip and some other misc stuff. I feel they made a huge mistake when they dropped Park Tools for tools. Their cycling selection / cycling related products seem to be shrinking these days and their prices weren't as competitive as before.
Dropping park may not have been their choice. Several manufacturers have stopped dealing with MEC because MEC would not sell or advertise at a specified price.

#9 ·
I have the Fizer Pedal Wrench, Crank Puller & BB tool & they work fine, good value for the price.

I have been looking at this set from Park & it seens like a good deal. I bought a fork & some tires from Airbomb about 5 yrs ago & they were great but I haven't dealt with them since.

Eamon

#10 ·
A couple months back I picked up a tool set from Jenson when I placed an order. It is the Lifu tool kit found here : http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/TL707E00-Lifu+Tool+Kit.aspx Not a GREAT tool kit, but for $40, I don't think anywhere can come close to touching it, esp. if you are a casual wrencher on your bike. It has everything you'll possibly need with exception of the new EBB removal/installation tool and a cable cutter... but everything else is there.

Jenson also has a couple of other tool kits for less than the tool kit from MEC...a nicer looking one from Dimension, and even a tool roll by Park Tools for I THINK $129.

I love MEC, but with the strength of the dollar now, they're not necessarily the cheapest place in town....and hey, this way if you're gonig to order from Jenson, you'll need to order a few more things to make it worth your while :)

Tim

#11 ·
I have the Filzer tool box for a bike recyling project, I have a smattering of Park tools for home. I'd say the Filzers are ok for occasional use, but they certainly don't have the durability of Park tools. If you want tools that will last, buy Park. If you want tools that are just ok and you only plan on using them once in a while, buy Filzer.

#13 ·
Park Tools

You can't go wrong with Park Tools.
They have an excellent warranty and Customer Service.

I had my Park CM5 Cyclone Chain Cleaner break on me a month ago.
I emailed Park about it just questioning what the warranty was on it, I never hear back from them but a few weeks later a brand new chain cleaner came in the mail at no cost to me and I got to keep my old one for parts.:thumbsup:

#14 ·
Park tools dropped MEC, not the other way round. MEC was getting them through some grey market channels, and park put down the kaibosh. Park and Pedros tools are far superior to the Filzer stuff, but as been mentioned before it really depends on how much you use them. If your in Toronto check out Velotique on Queen st East, they have a good selecvtion of tools, or of course your LBS.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.