Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Team NFI
    Mar 2007

How Not To Coach

Seb makes an exellent point. And I will now say no more as I don't want to off balance anyone's sensitivities.

How not to…coach. | Spoke Magazine

Evil Jr.
    It can be very challenging for a talented rider to be an effective coach. So many things come so easily to them that it can be tough to break something down into its component parts.

Even a putz like me can take for granted how many moves are now "automatic". You should see Mrs. Monster roll her eyes when I say something dumb like "This bit is easy - just a little wheelie-drop at the end..."
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Oh there is one other bit that needs to be said.

Just because your kid is involved in a sport does not mean you should coach. Especially the same sport.

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post

Just because your kid is involved in a sport does not mean you should coach. Especially the same sport.
    Unglued Jr. is still about a year away from organized sports but it seems to me that of all the potential coaches he could have, the one he would be most likely to tune out would be his dad. That's why you'll find me in the stands cheering, not behind the bench yelling.
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

But if you actually know what the hell you are doing it's pretty good to have your parent as a coach.

I grew up playing rep hockey and my dad was either coaching my team or my brothers team or the local Jr. C team. My brother and I got to spend a very large part of our time on ice with my dad. I learned lots from watching my dad manage the team in all kinds of situations.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    It can be very challenging for a talented rider to be an effective coach. So many things come so easily to them that it can be tough to break something down into its component parts.

Even a putz like me can take for granted how many moves are now "automatic". You should see Mrs. Monster roll her eyes when I say something dumb like "This bit is easy - just a little wheelie-drop at the end..."
    That's so true. I'm an average rider at best but I find I have a lot of difficulty teaching things to riders who aren't as good as me. I really have to think everything through and try to give a breakdown but even then the results are mediocre. The only thing I'm ok at teaching is line choice.

Strangely enough I have much better success coaching those who are as good or better than me. One of the guys I ride with was struggling with a drop sequence that I wouldn't even attempt on my bike, I was like "more speed, pre-hop the log drop, line it up and commit". Two runs later and he had it completely dialed.

If it weren't for my dad coaching me, I'd likely still be playing tennis instead of mountain biking. So in this case I suppose it's a good thing he did coach me or else I wouldn't have gotten into mountain biking.

namagomi
    Yes... how to end up in a neck brace in 5 minutes. :P

In general, never take advice from a pro(only his coach). They RARELY have any conscious concept of how they do it and lack the teaching skills to elucidate the technique in a meaningful way from the groms.

It's funny also, because you'll get people swearing this and that about a certain piece of equipment and how its so important and makes them better, but it's all hogwash and placebo!! That is what you get when no scientific method is followed.

Oh, and i'll add to that article - STOP scrolling through the cRC site, all these cafe racers and parking lot crit riders stop dropping wads on carbon wheels and shoes... at your level you'll get way better bang for performance buck by having a coach!! Your friends will be mystified how u beat them when your bicycle weighs 10lbs more!!

namagomi

Yup yup!

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    But if you actually know what the hell you are doing it's pretty good to have your parent as a coach.
    I never had my dad as a coach but he was always involved in the things I did in one way or another. When I was a Cub Scout, he was a Scout Leader and so on...

I guess I took it for granted at the time but now I realize what a lasting impression always having him around me like that left. Volunteerism, leadership and community involvement are just some of the invaluable lessons I learned from the experience.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007

I grew up playing rep hockey and my dad was either coaching my team or my brothers team or the local Jr. C team. My brother and I got to spend a very large part of our time on ice with my dad. I learned lots from watching my dad manage the team in all kinds of situations.
    Unfortunately there are to many out there who really shouldn't be coaching. It's an unfortunate by product of the old NCCP system where a parent could take a couple of weekends of training. Maybe a few hours of practicum and suddenly they can coach. The process was to easy.

Now it's more involved.

I Strava Hamburgers
    Involved sure, but its still around, just happened to get renamed to CanFitPro...

*Disclaimer*

I'm not knocking CanFitPro, I've just seen so many terrible trainers that have this and only this as their certificate like its some sort of key to being a professional trainer.
    My EBB so loud
    I'm mashing...

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 14Stone View Post
    Involved sure, but its still around, just happened to get renamed to CanFitPro...

*Disclaimer*

I'm not knocking CanFitPro, I've just seen so many terrible trainers that have this and only this as their certificate like its some sort of key to being a professional trainer.
    Just to be clear, Can Fit Pro has nothin g to do with coaching in Canada. Two different systems.

CDEP is way more involved than Can Fit Pro ever will be. I walked away from Can Fit Pro as it's more about making you spend money at some conference. Plus the recert stuff is useless unless you want to be an aerobics instructor... aka prance around to music like some Nancy barking orders to a bunch of bored house wiives.

I Strava Hamburgers
    aka prance around to music like some Nancy barking orders to a bunch of bored house wiives.

...... so where do I sign up?
    My EBB so loud
    I'm mashing...

Is it winter yet?
    May 2007
    I coached ski racing for 10 years, and then went back to racing myself for the last 10 years or so. My youngest is a couple years away from becoming a Nancy Greene racer herself, and I have good examples to follow for how to coach your own kid. I plan to jump back into coaching for a few years while child #1 goes through the NG program, then child #2. At 9 or 10, I'll pass them off to other coaches, but I'm going to do what I can to get them to catch the ski racing bug. If they become snowboarders, I simply disown them.

I could never coach anybody in mountain biking. I can barely keep myself alive. I expect my son will be teaching me more things than I'll ever teach him.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 14Stone View Post
    ...... so where do I sign up?
    Sorry. Can't help you. Having been involved with the gym industry for over a decade. Walked away from that aspect of it. Ugh... really brings out the clowns who have no clue.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by chansen View Post
    I coached ski racing for 10 years, and then went back to racing myself for the last 10 years or so. My youngest is a couple years away from becoming a Nancy Greene racer herself, and I have good examples to follow for how to coach your own kid. I plan to jump back into coaching for a few years while child #1 goes through the NG program, then child #2. At 9 or 10, I'll pass them off to other coaches, but I'm going to do what I can to get them to catch the ski racing bug. If they become snowboarders, I simply disown them.
    Having a mentor of a coach is a hugely overlooked aspect especially in the lower ages. Plus talking to other coaches both in your sport as well as others is overlooked. To often you see the whole keep it secret mentality going.

Speaking of sharing, Learned this little tidbit from Shepley. Don't worry about their performances till they are 18-20, basically when they stop growing. Worry about their technical skills and teach them correctly.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    If they become snowboarders, I simply disown them.
    This.

Ship them off to the salt mines in Siberia. Hopefully you get enough for a ski pass and skis in the sale.

namagomi
    This.

Ship them off to the salt mines in Siberia. Hopefully you get enough for a ski pass and skis in the sale.
    As an aside i find people who have DH skied pick up the basics DH riding and cornering much quicker than average. I don't see much skills transfer from snowboarding though.

Evil Jr.
    Snowboarding skills all come out in longboarding. You should see the stuff kids can do around here down the Escarpment!

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik View Post
    As an aside i find people who have DH skied pick up the basics DH riding and cornering much quicker than average. I don't see much skills transfer from snowboarding though.
    Interesting. Not true for jumping at Joyride though. Hayden Boucher, XC elite rider took to doing jumps with remarkable alacrity, which he credited to snowboarding skillz. Makes sense to me!

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik View Post
    Hmm.. somewhat. Having been a Alpine ski racer- slalom, GS, Super G, and DH. The biggest challenge isn't learning the skills. It's wrapping your head around the differences of crashing.

I crash during a Alpine DH at Whistler I will slide, bounce, tumble, and in some cases do the Herminator.

I crash during a MTB DH run you pretty much come to a screeching halt.

Trust me... the differences in that area are immense.

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdgirl View Post
    Interesting. Not true for jumping at Joyride though. Hayden Boucher, XC elite rider took to doing jumps with remarkable alacrity, which he credited to snowboarding skillz. Makes sense to me!
    For jumping it is likely different, both skiing and boarding will apply as it is more about body awareness in the air than feet, hips and slope. I'm sure a gymnast could get the hang of jumping a bicycle even faster than Hayden.

namagomi
    Hmm.. somewhat. Having been a Alpine ski racer- slalom, GS, Super G, and DH. The biggest challenge isn't learning the skills. It's wrapping your head around the differences of crashing.

I crash during a Alpine DH at Whistler I will slide, bounce, tumble, and in some cases do the Herminator.

Hah, well crashing aside! Not supposed to happen I have seen a couple yard sales though on the DH... nothing like the herminator though.

Is it winter yet?
    May 2007

I've heard it referred to as "the price of failure." I'm not that afraid to fall on skis. I really try not to, and I have a very strong sense of self-preservation that has allowed me to pull off impressive recoveries from very bad situations. I'm a weeble on skis. I wobble, but I don't fall down. When I do, unless I slide into something, I'm generally fine.

On a bike, all bets are off. I can fall on the most innocent looking obstacle. I will not try DH. I'm 38, and it seems my recovery time has doubled every 5-10 years since I was 18. I haven't even done a 360 on skis in years. I am, it seems, turning into a wuss.

Evil Jr.
    I am, it seems, turning into a wuss.
    You're not alone. I've been getting steadily wussier for years now and it went into hyper-drive when I found out we were expecting. I can't fathom the thought of waking up in a hospital bed with no feeling below the neck...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast