Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

How many commute to work ?

Hey I am just curious, how many of you people out there commute daily or regularly to work ? If you do, then how far is your daily ride to work ? An also do you commute during winter ? I am seriously thinking of starting to do it , because I enjoy riding and also for fitness and to save money on gas.

mtbr member
    I work from home but do lots of commuting for offsite contract work and for school (where I usually mix it up with a bit of Go Train). I try to commute by bike as much as I can, even in the winter. Problem is being all sweaty when you get to work, so make sure you get a system in place to deal with that.

Riding to work is about 8km one way, only takes about 15 min.

All commuting done on my Steelwool SS. Would like to perhaps get some racks and stuff so I don't have to load everything into my backpack.

mtbr member
    Silly thing double posted.

Singlespeed Mysty

Bonking ... not feelin' well don't I wish...

my commute to work is 65 km one way!!!

it would take me too long...we have - showers at work, so don't matter if I get there stinky... but I work night shift - so safety would be a big issue for me ...

if I lived closer to work, then maybe... but I have been riding downtown and it isn't pretty sometimes...
    "I became a member of Team Misfit Psycles because of the free coasters"

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

NormalNorm
    I commute 2-5 times during the week in the warmer months. It depends what shift i'm on. In the colder months, I commute 1-2 times a week. 17kms round trip.

Commuting in the winter isnt that bad if you have a place to change when you get to work and the right clothes for the cold.

Better than a gym.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Last summer I was commuting to work pretty much every day. 30km one way. About 1 hour to and 1:15 from on a good day. On a mountain bike, fat slick tires of course.

This year I tried that again, but with extra laptop on my back it was way too heavy and uncomfortable. On a hot day I'd run out of water on my way back and then it felt like hell. I wish distance was 15-20km instead. Would've been much easier. So I don't do it anymore

I might resume doing this next summer. Want to work on my endurance for the races.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Hi, I commute 3 to 5 times a week, 17km one way to work. I ride the rail trail from Shallow Lake to Owen Sound. The only problem is the killer hill in the last .5 km. No showers at work so I do the hill in 2 stages to keep the sweat to a min. I'm a bit of a Super Clyde (335lbs) & I just turned 52. Just getting back into cycling after a 4 year layoff (knee trouble).

I picked up Rain gear & a Nite Hawk light system from Nashbar & I plan on riding until the snow flies. I have to leave at 6:15 am so I can be at work by 7:30 am. Currently I only ride home about once a week (wife works at same place, rack always on car). But I plan to start riding home more in the future.

mtbr member
    I commute daily. 11km each way, with the escarpment down to work, and climbing on the way home. It takes 30 - 35 minutes, I take it easy on my old steel MTB fully loaded.

Unless the temperature is above 18-19C (or extremely humid) I can pretty much prevent sweating. Even so, I shower right before leaving in the morning, so it's a 'clean' sweat. Give yourself 5 minutes to cool off before putting on work clothes.

Winter commuting is fairly easy, some of my most memorable commutes have been taking it easy, -3 or -4 C and the snow gently falling. Just remember to be 150% careful instead of 120%. Good gear in my opinion makes is alot easier when temperatures drop.

Speaking of that, if you are commuting in a high traffic area, grow some eyes out of the back of your head. When you start spending 100km on city streets a week, interactions with cars become quite regular. Most drivers are fairly respectful, however when you are being passed by hundreds of cars, the idiots really stand out. Safety, safety, safety. Lights, reflectors, then more and more, especially if you are commuting at night.

banned
    Mar 2005
    about 50km/day, year round. About half the people in our office commute, and...

... we just won one of the City of Toronto's Bicycle Friendly Business Awards last week....one of 7 awarded this year. And. I'm now a judge for next year's awards.

http://www.toronto.ca/cycling/bfba/index.htm

mtbr member
    I try to ride most days, it's less than 2km, so it actually takes longer to walk from the parking lot than ride from my house. In the winter I walk and it only takes me 15-20 minutes, depending on the snow conditions.
    When I was is school a couple years ago I would commute the 10km each way, took about a half hour. Got in the best shape of my life. Those we the days.
    I need to move further from work.

mtbr member

nice bike

I've got a steelwool also. My commute is 12.5km each way and takes about 25 minutes. I ride the bike fixed - this is the only way to roll if you don't want to deal with maintenance.

Here's my SW
    Attached Images Attached Images

sproket buster
    Oct 2007
    No comute to work, 38km from Port Credit to Bolton one way. No suitable road, virtually no safe way to do it. However all my trips to downtown TO or visiting family are by bike about 50 to 200 km per week.

By the way this is my first post, G'day to all !!!

More than a little slow
    I commute by bike everyday. 45 to 50+ km for the round trip. I've done that year round since '93. I'm going to cut back a bit this winter I think (take the bus instead once or twice a week) because I want to get back into running a bit more. That's the plan anyway.
    Cheers, Dave
    ([SIZE="1"]playing it safe, 'cause I'm not ML[/SIZE] )

I Wanna Be Sedated
    I have a 5km trip from home to work, but I need to drive my car for reasons beyond the scope of this thread. I'd like to commute by bike but that would require a "life change".
    Jouko

mtbr member

would like to do more...

I was commuting everyday, 22km one way each day, from Oakville to Etobicoke. 100% on Lakeshore (approx 40.min) My cut off is -15C, gets a little chilly beyond that. Since moving upto Milton, have not been commuting as much as I should. 34km one way in about 1h15min. Plan to do more commuting next year, feel so much better at work. Its coming in from the west, downhill off the escarpment with the prevailing winds, however the ride home becomes interesting with heavier traffic, uphill into the wind(cue violin)

Anyone commuting along lakeshore between Oakville and Etobicoke?

Cheers

Singlespeed Mysty
    Quote Originally Posted by tapsa
    I have a 5km trip from home to work, but I need to drive my car for reasons beyond the scope of this thread. I'd like to commute by bike but that would require a "life change".
    geez.. joooooouky... what kinda life change we talkin' bout?

the extra 10 minutes it will take? or having to explain the spandex office attire

Quote Originally Posted by dskunk
    ([SIZE="1"]playing it safe, 'cause I'm not ML[/SIZE] )
    you're not ML? hmm... translation please skunky wunky...

so - maybe I should commute into work if I had "real people" hours... I work three days a week, that would be 130km/day round trip - hmm... maybe that is the secret to podium finishing

I can't even imagine all the hill climbing on my way home from front & spadina to north of highway 9 / yonge Street, newmarket... ouch... I can feel my sore bum already...
    "I became a member of Team Misfit Psycles because of the free coasters"

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

More than a little slow
    you're not ML? hmm... translation please skunky wunky...

Dirt Rag #131, pg 74, read the fine print.

mtbr member
    This will be my 5th winter of bike commuting, I've found it easier than I thought it would be. Surprisingly, it doesn't snow every day in the winter just once or twice a week.
    I ride 11.5 km on touring bikes, mountain bikes or road bikes in spring winter and fall, usually just ride my 2 old rigid mountain bikes in the winter (one has slicks, the other has studded tires). I then park the bike in the back of my truck and drive the other 35 km to work. I highly recommend it, no winter blahs when you're on the bike every day!! (Well not every day, my temperature limit is -15 C, until I get some better boots, my feet get too cold)

Smiley, maybe we'll cross paths in the summer, I do a few "whole enchelada" Hamilton to Milton commutes in the summer, 47km each way (takes about 2 hours)

.Greg

mtbr member
    Very interesting to read all the replys. Now I really feel like giving it a try and doing it regularly. My work is only 11 km one way so 22 km round trip is nothing at all.
    Change of clothes is not that big of a deal for me as I work in a metal fabricating shop so I put my work clothes on anyway when I get to work. I plan on buying a second bike (full suspension all mountain) for trail use and keep my hardtail RM Vertex 30 for daily commuting and on road use.
    Last edited by Wolfchild; 10-12-2007 at 07:08 PM.

IMBA Canada
    Aug 2004
    I commute to work every day... even if it rains... I'm only 7km from work... so taking the subway is a waste of money and time... It takes less then 15min... subway takes about 20-25min...

I stop commuting to work by bike when it gets too cold... usually december... and start again when there is no more snow... usually mid-late march...

I have a Kona Jake The Snake that is perfect for commuting... bigger tires means i can drop anything... i can slalom in traffic with comfort and confidence... It's the best commuter for my needs because i'm going down in the morning... and i have to climb back home at night... so singlespeed doesn't make anysense when you're doing 45-50km/h one way and 30-35km/h the other way!
    ADSVMQ :: Quebec mountain bike trail advocacy group www.ADSVMQ.org

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I live in Windsor, Ontario. I've been commuting year round for about 7 years now.

My direct route to work is about 5 km and I have a desk job where I don't need to leave the office much to in my field. We don't exactly have the friendliest roads here but it's getting better. They don't call Windsor 'Motor City' for nothing.

Near my work, we have a beautiful pedestrian / cycling path along our riverfront that stretches for 6kms. I usually take that on my way home from work bypassing the traffic. I am luck as well that I happen to live on a street that has dedicated bike lanes. If I have time, I'll go down this one stretch of road in my city at the height of rush hour where there are dedicated bike lanes and sprint pass cars lined up back 1.5kms knowing they're fustrated by the congestration they're causing.

I ride ride three different mountain bikes depending on the circumstance. For the winter, I'll ride my really old one with studded tires. I don't have a cut-off for temperatures and prepare myself with lots of breathable layers. Ski goggles are a god send when the wind chill is really crazy.

I know it's not for everybody but if you make changes to your routine and lifestyle, it'll be worth it. I used to weigh about 220lbs / 5'-6" before really getting into biking. Now I'm done to about 150lbs. Then there's the money. I figure not having a car payments, auto insurance, gas, maintenance, I save up to $5,000 a year.

Live Free or Ride!
    I do when the weather allows it, I live in Etobicoke but work in the Beaches, so I take lLakeshore all the way out, I have an Anthem so that kinda sux but it's still a decent workout
    2007 Giant Anthem 1
    2009 Giant XTC 0

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    My commute is downhill on the way to work, about 5-6 km depending on route. With a pair of Kenda slicks that cost more than the XTI Supercycle I ride on the commute is a great way to start and end an otherwise boring day in a factory. Any improvement for racing is a pleasant side effect.

Stosh
    If you happen to see my lungs back there, tell them I've gone on ahead.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Just started as recently as last week and plan on at least 2 times/week. My new work location is more doable than previous. More if I can but need my van for my work related deliveries and to see clients. I need to find some alternate routes as traffic can get quite hairy as the burbs do not have many outlet routes except for main arteries.
    Haven't used my MTB as of yet since my new road bike gets me there so much faster. About 17km one way in about 30 min. I'm in tomorrow for some paperwork to lighten my weeks load and will be my first ride with my new Cateye so I can get a better ideas as to distance and all the other numbers to distract while riding.
    And my business partner and my employees get a good chuckle from the spandex and bib.

President, CEO of Earth
    I try to ride as much as I can. Last summer that was almost every day, this summer probably an average of two times per week. My wife got a new job and I have much much less time. I plan to keep riding in the winter agin this year. Last year I only got in a handful of winter rides (carpool was sooooooo convenient).

My ride is 14km each way, half on a quiet rural semipaved/semi gravel rode, the second half is on a super smooth gravel road that is closed to vehicular traffic.

When I moved out of Ottawa last year I was starting to get pretty angry and aggressive in traffic. In fact I was probably about a month away from pulling someone out of a car by his hair and beating him to death. My commute now is heaven.

I usually ride my Eclipse touring bike, but last winter I made an old Maxam into a singlespeed for the winter.
    "Newfoundland dogs are good to save children from drowning, but you must have a pond of water handy" - Josh Billings

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast