Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

How long before you are officially "out of shape"

With the amazing temps yesterday, I got a call for a ride. To busy during the day but said heck yes to a night ride.

My lefty fork is off for service so, I guess its to the wifes bike.

Now, I am hoping that riding a small frame (I fit a large) was the cause of my lack of any legs.
    Or could it be I havent been out for over a month(mabye 2).

With the P2A coming up I have already hit a major mental hurdle about being able to finish the 70km. Im really hoping it was the bike. Kness were about an inch from the handlebars. My quads were screaming the while time.

How long before you guys are "out of shape"?

Nice day for a ride.....
    I'd have to be in shape to begin with to become "out of shape" so I've never given it much thought. For me a month off the bike and the legs start to feel weak. Usually 3-4 rides back at it and I'm feeling much better. I try to ride as often as I can in the winter and go snowshoeing when I can't to keep the legs and lungs working the way they should.
    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fatbike

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Good call on the snowshoeing. I cant wait to get my bike back up and running and do the same route. What killed me was the gravel was really soft. Stop pedalling and it was like stopping with brakes.

I had what I would call a good race season last year, but have never really rode much more then 35km at a time. I usually push the 25 mark as hard as I can.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    It begins immediately when you take a day off the bike.
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

Depression...can eat a sack of manure and die.

mtbr member
    Realistically, you will start losing fitness after 1-2 weeks of inactivity. Unfortunately, riding a small when you are a large would just accentuate things more because you're straining certain muscle being the bike isn't set up properly. You have lots of time to get ready for P2A, but I would suggest a trainer or some kind of cardio work to stay fit with the winter coming back tomorrow.
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

http://www.apexracephotography.com

mtbr member
    I rode yesterday and today on the road. I am officially a fat ass. I used my middle ring to climb Decew. I haven't done that in years. I blame Tim Horton's. I love those large ice caps and cookies. Mmmmm, ice cap...

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by limba View Post
    I rode yesterday and today on the road. I am officially a fat ass. I used my middle ring to climb Decew. I haven't done that in years. I blame Tim Horton's. I love those large ice caps and cookies. Mmmmm, ice cap...
    I believe the team is called Old Guy's Who Get Fat, in the off season.
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I usually find two weeks off a bike and your back to basics. :-(

Hope you had the saddle high enough

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Seatpost was about 3-4 inches to short lol. It was really a worst case senario.
    While riding all i could hear in my head was "its not the bike, its the engine". I call Bs

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Oh dear that's really not good!!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Clyde on a mission!
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    It begins immediately when you take a day off the bike.
    Not quite, restitution initially builds strength so taking a day or two off isn't a bad thing. Take two weeks off and you'll feel it next time out riding.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by limba View Post
    I went to uni near there... seems to me that NOT riding Decew in middle ring makes you a bit of a machine - so I wouldn't worry too much about falling out of shape!

Mind you, out here in Bermuda we just had our season opener of the mountain bike season. Though it was warm enough to sweat in shorts and a jersey don't be overly jealous - we also had to do 7 laps of a rather weak course and the laps were about 5 minutes each!!!

mtbr member
    Nah, Decew is usually fine for me in my big ring (44). I'd didn't even bother trying today. I shifted down to the 32 ring before the climb even started.
    You must have went to Brock. That's the other good hill around here. Behind Brock there's a big dirt hill, Hydro Hill. I usually ride up there but it would have been too messy today.

mtbr member
    Here's the bad news - the older you get the faster you lose fitness.

The "half-life" of your training in your 50's is 1/4 of what it would be in your 20's.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pikester View Post
    Here's the bad news - the older you get the faster you lose fitness.

The "half-life" of your training in your 50's is 1/4 of what it would be in your 20's.
    So in simple terms...don't stop training.
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Stopped commuter riding just before the Christmas break (dang flu) and I'm just now starting to feel proper so it's been almost a month since my last ride into work and I miss it dearly! Go away snow.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I had a small commute when i first started racing. It was only 6km round trip, but 2 very large hills. I notice a difference now that im not riding every day.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Mine is about 20km round trip. From Danforth and Woodbine in Toronto to King and Spadina. About 30 mins each way.

Lemmy Rules!
    I think a month off riding at the beginning of the off season is not a bad thing, but more for the mental break. Other than that, I try and piece together spin classes, trainer time, swimming and occasional rides on my cyclocross or mountainbike when the weather permits to stay in some semblance of shape.

And though this may sound a bit geeky, working out really is about quality and not quantity. What I have learned in the past year or so since I have gotten quasi-serious about training is that it is often better from a fitness perspective to do a shorter focussed ride on a trainer inside than to spend longer noodling around outside in zone 2. Of course, the noodling is better from a mental health and enjoying the great outdoors perspective, even if on a bike that is too small...
    Strava made me do it....

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    I think a month off riding at the beginning of the off season is not a bad thing, but more for the mental break. Other than that, I try and piece together spin classes, trainer time, swimming and occasional rides on my cyclocross or mountainbike when the weather permits to stay in some semblance of shape.

And though this may sound a bit geeky, working out really is about quality and not quantity. What I have learned in the past year or so since I have gotten quasi-serious about training is that it is often better from a fitness perspective to do a shorter focussed ride on a trainer inside than to spend longer noodling around outside in zone 2. Of course, the noodling is better from a mental health and enjoying the great outdoors perspective, even if on a bike that is too small...
    Turbo and riding outside in winter can be combined. Do the hard interval stuff on the trainer where you don't have to worry about finding that one patch of black ice. Do the outside for just riding. Plus in the right snow conditions you can very effectively work on your pedal stroke..do it wrong and you know pretty quick.

One has to keep in mind in all this discussion that what also factors in to this is Accumulated Activity. While sure weights for a half hour and 45 minutes on the Squirrel Wheel is what is endlessly talked about. But all activity in a 24 hour activity factors in.
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    In and outta shape for 52 years. It seems to go in 5 year cycles, back and forth. I'm 202lbs at this point-HELP!
    lean forward

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    From personal experience, I fall out of shape within about 2 months of trashing my body with fast food and inactivity. I stopped riding at the end of November and I have gained 10 pounds to date...I'm not a big guy so 10 pounds is a fair bit. My cardio is non existent compared to the summer and I loose the motivation to workout. Fortunately, once the temperature returns to shorts weather, my activity lever increases significantly and I can get back into descent shape within a month.

I pray on muscle memory. hahaha

Live 4 2day
    Probably for me iit was when I got hit by that cold virus / throat chest infection thing that was going around at Xmas. That thing put me down hard. My heart rate under intensity is still not where it should be.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goran13 View Post
    From personal experience, I fall out of shape within about 2 months of trashing my body with fast food and inactivity. I stopped riding at the end of November and I have gained 10 pounds to date...I'm not a big guy so 10 pounds is a fair bit. My cardio is non existent compared to the summer and I loose the motivation to workout. Fortunately, once the temperature returns to shorts weather, my activity lever increases significantly and I can get back into descent shape within a month.

I pray on muscle memory. hahaha
    I'm in the same boat. I haven't ridden my bike since summer of 2011 because we didn't have a rack on the car. I used to run at least a 5K daily and got beat down by work and too much fast food to the point I forgot about running. It was also compounded by riding my motorcycle every weekend. I've put on almost 20 lbs since my mtb/road bike days a few years ago. I'm by no means fat, but I can tell a difference in how I feel throughout the day.

After a year and a half of not riding because we didn't have a roof rack, I decided to pull it out of the attic to see if I could make it fit the new car. It actually worked so I went to the local trails. I'm in terrible shape. Lol

But I'll get it back...

mtbr member
    First off, i was never really "in shape" even at season end.

But, I took about a month off the bike then rode 5 days in a row and i felt the time off.

Combine vacation in November with Christmas feasts and lack of exercise and I am officially "out of shape"....even by my standards.

The scale, and my my lungs, don't lie

Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2
    2013 Trek Stache 8
    2011 Giant Defy Advanced 0

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast