bi-winning

New question here. How to get to the Don from Humber

As I've mentioned in an earlier thread, I'll be living at Humber College (north campus, by the airport) this summer. I'm wondering, what would be the best way to the Don from Humber. I'd like to minimize the time in the car, and maximize the ride time. Where should I park? I'd be fine with riding some easier trails, or a little bit of road before getting to the good stuff if it would make sense.
    Last edited by rkj__; 04-18-2008 at 05:23 AM.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I park in the Loblaws parking lot but many park at the small lot at the base of Pottery Rd and the Bayview extension. From there you can hit the trail I believe on the ridge which heads north.

mtbr member
    If you are talking about the Lakeshore campus, you could ride the road up to Kipling Stn, take the subway to Broadview, and the Don is a 5 min bike ride from that station, just scoot east on Broadview until you hit Pottery road, bomb down the hill and you will get spit out at the Pottery Rd parking lot at the far end of the Ridge trail. Kipling is directly in front of the Lakeshore campus and its only 5km to the station.

You could ride the Lakefront trail into the city and then make your way North to Bloor and then to East to Broadview too. You can also take the Lakefront trail to the beaches and there are some paths that go along the Don river and eventually into the a park that is near the Pottery Rd lot. There are lots of ways you could go, but I don't know if any ways that would involve trailriding to get there. I take the subway to the Don all the time, just plan around rush-hour. Most of the time if I am coming from work I try to drive, I'd rather ride a bit of the way but sometimes I don't have the time. In some cases I have taken the Go Train from Port Credit, where I work, to Exhibition, and just rode road through the city to the Don also,

I am about a 15-20 minute bike ride from the Lakeshore campus. Let me know if you every want to meet up and go for a boot at the Don. Make sure you come to a few Tuesday Night Series races up in Albion too!

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by nspace
    If you are talking about the Lakeshore campus, you could ride the road up to Kipling Stn, take the subway to Broadview, and the Don is a 5 min bike ride from that station, just scoot east on Broadview until you hit Pottery road, bomb down the hill and you will get spit out at the Pottery Rd parking lot at the far end of the Ridge trail. Kipling is directly in front of the Lakeshore campus and its only 5km to the station.

You could ride the Lakefront trail into the city and then make your way North to Bloor and then to East to Broadview too. You can also take the Lakefront trail to the beaches and there are some paths that go along the Don river and eventually into the a park that is near the Pottery Rd lot. There are lots of ways you could go, but I don't know if any ways that would involve trailriding to get there. I take the subway to the Don all the time, just plan around rush-hour. Most of the time if I am coming from work I try to drive, I'd rather ride a bit of the way but sometimes I don't have the time. In some cases I have taken the Go Train from Port Credit, where I work, to Exhibition, and just rode road through the city to the Don also,

I am about a 15-20 minute bike ride from the Lakeshore campus. Let me know if you every want to meet up and go for a boot at the Don. Make sure you come to a few Tuesday Night Series races up in Albion too!
    I guess it would have been smart to specify which of the two campuses, doh! I'll be at the north campus, up by the airport. It's extremely close to where I will be working (on airport road) but not particularly close to any trail. It looks like it will take me 30-40 minutes to get to any dirt.

I hope to be able to do the races at Albion.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Looking for Adventure
    Well, you are in a tricky location.

You may find some trail near the Clairville Reservoir, in the north-east corner of Finch and 427, but your best bet is to head down south of the airport, at Eglinton and Etobicoke Creek (near Eglinton and Eastgate Parkway / Centennial Park). From there you will hit trail in the river valley that goes north and south. Going south there is trail that follows both sides of the valley near the top. Explore the rest. There is also some stuff in Centennial Park itself, including the highly visual hill.

Not as cool as the Don or other well known places. Some hills to get a good workout, and some tricky sections.
    SUCCESS - To be able to spend life in your own way

bi-winning
    I'll definitely have some exploring to do when I get there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricksom
    Well, you are in a tricky location.
    That was the reason for this post. There does not seem to be a very easy way to get to the Don quickly. There is a lot of "city" between point A and point B.

The route to Albion is pretty straightforward, and should take ~35 minutes.

Shorthills Cycling Club

No. Just No. Moderator
    It's a pretty roundabout route that would tack on a bunch of distance, but in the interests of decreasing interaction with heavy higher speed traffic you could snake down through the Kingsway to the bottom of High Park, then Martin Goodman trail along the Lakeshore to the south end of the Don, then up the paved commuter routes along the Don to finally get to the trails. Martin Goodman is usually a PITA though since you don't want to be buzzing strollers and walkers constantly. It's essentially trading crazy unaware drivers for crazy unaware path users, especially on weekends. Might be 20-25km to the south end of the Don if I had to guess (I don't live there anymore). There's definitely more direct routes available on surface streets. Whether you'd give up all the time sitting at stoplights is anyone's guess, and you would see a lot more traffic. Maybe some experimentation would allow you to find surface routes with less traffic more off the beaten track?

Looking for Adventure
    Hmmm, you know most of us road ride from our front door instead, especially if you live in the outer areas of the city. My local bike shop has a road circuit of 60km that goes from The Kingsway (Etobicoke) to western Mississauga and back, riding in a pack of about 20. Makes a good workout for 2 hours on a weeknight.

See the Toronto cycling map, also available at most Toronto bike shops. Many Toronto roads are not as traffic infested as you might think.
    http://www.toronto.ca/cycling/map/map.htm
    SUCCESS - To be able to spend life in your own way

I already rode that
    You could also park behind SunnyBrook Hospital (down in the park though as you will prob get ticketed/towed parking in the hospitals parking lot) and ride around the trails there which you can hook up to the Don from.

Of course if you want the Don more then elsewhere down there you could park at pottery rd or the north end more Ummm I forget the name of the park the Don ends at but the street above is Thorncliffe park dr.

Theres also a parking lot by Taylor Creek which is right beside the Don valley, that would be a short ride to the Don as well.
    Riding F/S since oct 94'

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperNewb
    Of course if you want the Don more then elsewhere down there you could park at pottery rd or the north end more Ummm I forget the name of the park the Don ends at but the street above is Thorncliffe park dr.
    Taking 401 to DVP, Eglington exit..., should take around 30 minutes by car. That should be doable on a weekday.

Shorthills Cycling Club