mtbr member

Homage to Ice... whos in?

April 20th is the homage to ice in mansfield.
    conditions should be great by then
    Team Van Go

mtbr member
    I am in, assuming the conditions are great, as you say...For me this will be the first race of many for the year. And I thought an "off-road" race like this would be better for me to gauge how the winter training went than something like P2A. The plan is to do the 50km. Will be nice to get out and see some familiar faces too!
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

http://www.apexracephotography.com

Lemmy Rules!
    Not me-P2A the weekend before, Ocup 1 the next weekend and Tour de Buttertart the day after = a bit too much time on the bike. Better to do two races and give them my all than three races in a half-@ssed fashion....
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    If conditions are decent I would like to do H2I. Not sure if I do 50 or 25 yet. And I would also like to do the butter tart ride next day.

But this requires a decent weekend and with the weather lately, it seems like I am asking for a miracle.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    GF Superfly 29er HT
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

mtbr member
    it will be the 25km if i do it.
    haven't been on the bike yet.
    still have quite a bit of snow around here in the bush
    Team Van Go

mtbr member
    i'll be there for sure. with bells and speakers on again.
    trying Dan to get a Fat Bike Category....
    Team Van Go
    Santa Cruz Heckler
    Rocky Mountain Element 70
    Salsa Mukluk - Fat Bike!
    http://www.teamvango.ca

mtbr member
    news is there will be a fat tire category.
    there won't be any medals though for it
    more like a demonstration sport in the olympics
    Team Van Go

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tyh83 View Post
    i'll be there for sure. with bells and speakers on again.
    trying Dan to get a Fat Bike Category....
    This is one of my pet peeves. We don't need any-more categories! If we have a single speed and a fat bike category, then why not a single speed fat bike category?
    If we break our sport up into two many age related & equipment related categories then we run the risk of having them cancelled because not enough people are entering them. I've seen it happen over and over in the equestrian world and they are much bigger than the mountain bike world.
    Age related categories are one thing but if you want to ride a 650b single speed fat bike with platform pedals and a hockey card slapping the spokes, go ahead, just don't expect the organizers to create a category just for you.
    oh by the way, I do own a fat bike!
    Friends don't let friends cheer for the TML

mtbr member
    I see
    you're one of those equestrian types
    Team Van Go

mtbr member
    Hi Trailtrash
    Not me, but my wife is and we ran several horse shows at out place. We would have two riding rings with about a total of 20-25 classes for a total of about 50 riders. Lots of those classes would be canceled due to lack of entrants. But we still had to buy ribbons and prizes for them. Plus pay a judge to sit back and do nothing.
    Oh and she doesn't do any trail riding! lol
    Friends don't let friends cheer for the TML

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Dgage View Post
    This is one of my pet peeves. We don't need any-more categories! If we have a single speed and a fat bike category, then why not a single speed fat bike category?
    If we break our sport up into two many age related & equipment related categories then we run the risk of having them cancelled because not enough people are entering them. I've seen it happen over and over in the equestrian world and they are much bigger than the mountain bike world.
    Age related categories are one thing but if you want to ride a 650b single speed fat bike with platform pedals and a hockey card slapping the spokes, go ahead, just don't expect the organizers to create a category just for you.
    oh by the way, I do own a fat bike!
    This is also an issue in the MX world. We have bike categories, age categories, 4 or 5 skill categories and then a million combinations all those factors. The age categories for us are much smaller in age range simply because of how physical the sport is and the strength kids gain year to year when they are under 16.

Results in smaller classes, some classes end up cancelled, and since we share track time, the races are shorter, and those of us that can only race one or two classes miss out on some major ride time.

mtbr member
    i do agree with you on the category argument.
    the difference here is that we are paying "homage to ice" and for the most part during the winter it's the fat tire bikes that are becoming popular for riding through snow and ice and this will likely be there last ride of the season on these bikes for many before they get back on there regular mountain bikes.
    Team Van Go

mtbr member
    Rigth now I am on the fence about this race. Mansfiled is getting rain today and then rain/snow overnight. And the temperature in the morning will be a balmy 1C (-7C with that lovely 35km/hr wind) with flurries. Lovely December morning.

Yeah, I know HTFU. But I am getting too old and too fragile for this crap.
    My rides:
    GF Superfly 29er HT
    Pake French 75 track

All my faucets is Moen.
    I'm in!
    The only thing that would suck would be soft snow that makes it unrideable. Won't have to worry about wind since we're in the forest. Wet kinda sucks but its manageable. The only problem will be replacing the brake pads after riding in the wet sand for a few hours.

mtbr member
    conditions on wednesday were great... only 2 corners with some snow in it... other than that it was clean...
    Dan got King Brewery to sponsor so that makes it all good...
    Team Van Go
    Santa Cruz Heckler
    Salsa Mukluk - Fat Bike!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Does anybody have a spare seat for one desperate rider. My lift had a change of plans and I now have no way of getting to the race. I'm in Toronto and could come to you. Thanks Bryant

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by serious View Post
    Rigth now I am on the fence about this race. Mansfiled is getting rain today and then rain/snow overnight. And the temperature in the morning will be a balmy 1C (-7C with that lovely 35km/hr wind) with flurries. Lovely December morning.

Well Tom, if it helps influence you at all, I am doing this as a cold weather race wimp. I have somewhat reluctantly decided to man up as I need a race under the belt before next week's OCUP. I may hate myself at one or many points during the race, but oh well. I figure if I can still feel my feet after the first lap, it will be a good day.
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

http://www.apexracephotography.com

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by serious View Post

don't want to rub it in (much) but you missed a great race... trails were in excellent condition, it was not that cold, particularly when the race started. Yeah, on my way to Mansfield I drove through 2 mini hail storms and was thinking WTF am I doing, I didn't even pre-register. I can save $50 plus gas money... etc, etc... Once I executed the devil on my left shoulder - the good guy on my right shoulder told me it was a good move...

Soon the blue skies broke dark grey clouds and overall mood in the car improved. It was only me anyway.

It was good to see familiar faces at the start, even those who vigorously declared themselves as "fair weather racers". I will not mention any names, but mtbmeister and LeHair know I am talking about them. LeHair even showed some skin. Didn't cause any butterflies in my stomach, but that is only because we know each other for so long, kinda like some marriages. Not all of them for sure, thank Allmighty.

But this is not a thread about marriages, so lets get back on topic.

Start could not have happened any sooner, as the wind became uncomfortably cold while we were stationary. And then - the horn. Soon enough quads are burning - familiar feeling at every start, which I can't figure out. Maybe the leaders are in better shape? Must be. That is it. But life goes on. My bike is prettier than theirs.

Usual warm-up section, including that darn climb and on the descent I almost ate it in the high speed corner - legacy of winter riding, where we don't go that fast in the snow. Note taken.

Than the usual start climb - with sand packed down nicely so it was not as bad as it usually is. And then the singletrack heaven... Mmmmyeah... That felt good... Finally after this long winter, some twisty dirt in great shape... Well worth the price of admission...

Found some good company pretty quickly, and decided that it was going to be my pace for the day. My ribs are still not allowing me to sneeze, cough even laugh, let alone breath with full lungs... Nothing that 800mg of ibuprofen can not reduce to acceptable level... First lap was racing nirvana, legs felt good...

Second was a bit harder, as expected, but nothing could spoil a great feeling of being in the saddle with friends, hammering around this great trail system.

Finish line was still welcomed, as the first outing need not be too long... Quick change, while still warm was performed quickly and nice, dry feeling accompanied the accomplishment good vibe. Bike worked well, no major crashes (just one funny endo over the log due to lack of commitment - luckily no photographers around

Another great day racing with friends. Congrats to all that showed up, kudos to all that podiumed and/or achieved their goals...

Can't wait for the next one...

P.S. Dan - great job preparing the course - blowing the leaves in one of the final corners - as the wind was throwing them back on the trails - was priceless. Thank you!
    Signature

mtbr member
    woke up to see the ground covered in snow and still falling and figured it was a good day to finish laying the floor in the basement.
    then made the trek up to watch the finish line.
    the trail looked great and there was a great turnout.
    started having regrets for missing this one.
    Kudos for all that did come out and enjoy another great event put on by Dan
    Team Van Go

All my faucets is Moen.
    Typical Homage to Ice...some great riding, seeing friends after a long winter and some good laughs. Still one of my favorite races on the calendar.

Unfortunately not a good race for me. My legs couldn't get going all day and after about an hour I couldn't get warm. I only did one of the two laps. A little disappointed with myself but other than that I had a great day.

Thanks for the efforts Dan. Look forward to the other marathon races this summer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    What a crazy day! Terrible road conditions on the way to the race. Almost turned around and headed back home. So glad we didn't. Mansfield was in awesome shape! My son loved the single track and the 25km distance. Wish I could have raced it. Was wonderful seeing all my racing buds again and cheering everyone on. Hanging out inside by the fireplace after the race was sweet, as were the indoor awards.
    Thanks for putting on another great race Dan
    High on Life

mtbr member
    Well, it does look like I missed a great race. I opted for a couple of hours of suffering in the basement, but now I do regret not coming.

At least I made it today to the butter tart ride, which was very nice, even with the cold weather.
    My rides:
    GF Superfly 29er HT
    Pake French 75 track

mtbr member
    Awesome Event as always from Dan.
    Had a lot of fun.. Drank a beer at the aid station, then helped fix a girls bike so she could at least coast a bit...
    Glad to see such a great turnout!!

Next race from Dan will be the Sausage Suit ITT at Mansfield May 5th!!
    Team Van Go
    Santa Cruz Heckler
    Salsa Mukluk - Fat Bike!