cyberbully

holiday potables

so what do you stow in the flask for the winter rides ? what do you imbibe during the festive season?...enduramil's eggnog references of late got me thinking...(btw: you won't find any nog in my fridge for the holidays, the Antiguans must shake their heads when you try to drown some yummy rummy in that nog...your colonization is showing, Scot ! btw: you are of scottish ancestry, no ?)

one of my faves is krupnik. my pops used to make his own out of grain spirits (spyrytus) that the relatives, both young and old who were visiting would mule over to canada for us. you can find the ready made stuff at the LCBO.

i love me a good stout for the winter, the brooklyn black chocolate stout is something i stocked up (to the point of emptying the shelf at the local LCBO), its cost per ethanol volume is low, and has dual use as a chain lube. Its pretty yummy.

...a truly skeptical position would be a very uncertain one.
    -Rupert Sheldrake

mtbr member
    The Glenlivet 18 year old scotch. Buy a bottle for my dad and myself every Christmas and for our birthdays. Sometimes for father's day. I like to find as many excuses as possible to get a really nice bottle of scotch. Never got into having a nip while riding. When I was a wee pup, we might smoke a little something, but that was a long time ago.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    When it's 100-120 proof they don't mind when it's in egg nog. The secret is truly in the proportions and we all know Canadians tend to use a low amount of alcohol to egg nog ratio.
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

Depression...can eat a sack of manure and die.

Evil Jr.
    I've been stocking up on all sorts of odds and sods for nearly a month now. Got two sparkling ciders and a maple syrup eau-de-vie from Quebec, a Cremant de Limoux, a Vouvray, a couple good Cotes du Rhone Villages and as a special treat, we're going to crack open a couple excellent Thirty Bench rieslings for Xmas dinner.

As for beer, the one I got that I'm most excited about is a 750mL Unibroue Terrible but I have some tasty stuff from Belgium and Ontario too.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Muskoka

If I were to find a flask under the tree...

...I would be filling it with Forty Creek Cream Liquor

Now Merdoff is partial to Jagermeister...

Johnny Hair Boy sharing his Canadian Maple Whiskey...

Doug doesn't care so long as it's booze (JK)

Happy Holidays people!!

mtbr member
    BCD, looks like I'll be making a trip to the LCBO tomorrow to try that liqueur. Might bring that for our New Year's Day ride. Hope you can make the trip down

mtbr member
    I'll have to try the 40 Cream out as well. 40 Creek's been my favourite whiskey for about 5 years now, ever since Cliff Hatch was at our company xmas party (he's a friend of the owner) and told us to give it a try. The rumour goes that 40 creek maintains the original recipe that was used for crown royal (crown has since changed that recipe).

I tried Beau's Bog Water Eastern Ontario Gruit on the weekend. I guess instead of using hops they use something called bog myrtle that's found peat bogs. Whatever it is, it's very flavourful and I'll be going back for more!

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by akura View Post
    I tried Beau's Bog Water Eastern Ontario Gruit on the weekend. I guess instead of using hops they use something called bog myrtle that's found peat bogs. Whatever it is, it's very flavourful and I'll be going back for more!
    That's one of the other beers I got for the holidays! Glad to hear it's tasty!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    I picked up a 6 pack of this Boneshaker IPA | Amsterdam Brewery today. I have to admit I was drawn to it as it reminded me of Hardwood Hills

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I just picked up a pack of Muskoka mad tom double mad. If you can find it give it a try

Dorkimus Prime
    Rarely, am I disappointed with the knowledge base on MTBR, but this thread is not earth shattering...so far.

Two drinks I find warming on rides are either creme de menthe or peppermint schnapps. Both are like a dip in a blast furnace when fingers and toes are ready to fall off.

This year I picked up 4 dozen Sleeman Draught for visitors and the Old Man (St. Nick) himself. This beer says, "Not fully recovered financially from going back to school, but on my way", to friends and family. Beats doling out Brava and Lucky to the ones I care about...
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

humber river advocate
    blah those sugar creamed spiced minted cough syrups... some decent cognac for me, followed by a small piece of lindt dark chocolate...

Support TORBA
    Sunnyside Bike Park Working Group
    Albion Hills Conservation Area Master Plan Public Advisory Committee

cyberbully
    i give you a C for frugality, now if you got someone to bring you the sleeman from quebec for almost half price, you'd get a B (booo...ontario beer and liquor taxes), and if you swap out the creme de menthe for aqua velva, you get a full A+.

mmm...peppermint schnaps (rumple minze) is pretty good: mix with jager and 'shlager for a super yummy flask worthy treat.

as for single malt scotches, i got bored of them years ago, except for the double and triple casked scotches (which if you get from the US, are half price - sorta puts a wrench in the lcbo's gears when they say they have the buying power to give us cheaper prices and realize what an insane vice tax we pay in ontario), these days i'm partial to the irish single malts...sweeter and way less burn. tried the red breast this year, really good stuff, and sanely priced. not getting that for christmas tho
    ...a truly skeptical position would be a very uncertain one.
    -Rupert Sheldrake

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    I'm not really good at drinking and riding (it makes my legs go all wobbly and my technical skills get even worse). For truly cold weather, though, you can't beat hot ch'noglate. It's a delicious mix of hot chocolate and eggnog. A variety of delicious things can be added for extra warming sensation: Bailey's, amaretto, whatever tickles your fancy.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Merdoff View Post
    I picked up a 6 pack of this Boneshaker IPA | Amsterdam Brewery today. I have to admit I was drawn to it as it reminded me of Hardwood Hills
    Ooh, that's a good one. Be on the lookout as well for Amsterdam Tempest in single bottles. It's a treat!

pin it
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdgirl View Post
    I'm not really good at drinking and riding (it makes my legs go all wobbly and my technical skills get even worse). For truly cold weather, though, you can't beat hot ch'noglate. It's a delicious mix of hot chocolate and eggnog. A variety of delicious things can be added for extra warming sensation: Bailey's, amaretto, whatever tickles your fancy.
    Just a few sips is enough for me too. But I do love winter riding and because the days are so short a fire is a must on some rides.
    A fire to warm the toes and a few sips from the flask makes me toasty and ready for the ride back

F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    Just a few sips is enough for me too. But I do love winter riding and because the days are so short a fire is a must on some rides.
    A fire to warm the toes and a few sips from the flask makes me toasty and ready for the ride back

That picture would make an excellent Xmas card!