mtbr member

Hilton Falls - Bent Rim... WTF?! Is this actually doable?

So I did a ride today at Hilton Falls... not really having a real map handy and only a GPS with a preloaded map file I accidentally found myself on the Bent Rim (the skinny was so enticing but what a lie!). Never have I utilized the granny gear so much in one ride and I'm quite thankful for it... I walked about 30-40% of it, the rest I found 'unrideable' by my standards (which are super low ). By the time I was through that I proceeded straight to my car and go to Kelso for a self esteem boost.

But the real question is, can anyone actually do all of the Bent Rim without walking any section? A lot of the technical challenges seem to be quite literally just rocks with no actual discernible line choice... perfect for masochists. It's certainly not like Kelso where everything is obvious. Any advice for the future ride?

Evil Jr.
    I have yet to clean this trail end-to-end. It's one of the great challenges in Southern Ontario. I don't think Mike (the builder) has ever heard of anyone riding it clean either.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

bi-winning
    I sure can't clean it. I have only tried twice.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Misfit Psycles
    in the winter, bent rim is totally rideable...
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

Up, Up, and Away!
    It's a never-ending quest for me - each time I clear a little more. Every time I hit the last 100 meters or so I question why I'm there, but I always come back.

sock puppet

i am yet to get out of it

without shedding a drop of blood... but always go back for more...

i do prefer it in the winter, as noggs suggested...

Quote Originally Posted by SuprGrovr
    It's a never-ending quest for me - each time I clear a little more. Every time I hit the last 100 meters or so I question why I'm there, but I always come back.

More than a little slow
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster
    I have yet to clean this trail end-to-end. It's one of the great challenges in Southern Ontario. I don't think Mike (the builder) has ever heard of anyone riding it clean either.
    I heard a rumour years ago that one of the trials kids from the Milton area had ridden it end to end without dabbing, and on a full rigid bike at that. But that is getting into the realm of an urban legend and snopes.com doesn't cover the mountain bike versions of those yet.
    Cheers, Dave

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

practice makes perfect....

It's doable...

I've never cleaned it 100% end to end. The user Timber, on this board, I'm certain has!

Our riding group separates Bent Rim into Bent Rim I and Bent Rim II. (South to North)

The doubletrack you cross over is where Bent Rim II begins. Bent Rim I is a piece of cake... I normally clean it. The work done this spring has made Bent Rim I much easier. Bent Rim II, however, is much more challenging and I don't clean it nearly as often.

I haven't been able to get the full 'ACE'... yet. One day.

Two or three dabs for me end to end is a good day

The trail really shines when ridden on a 6"x6" aggressive MTB.

cheers
    phil shep

COMM|T OR EAT SH|T

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by philshep
    Maybe that's my problem... All this time, I'd been doing it on a rigid single speed 29er! Silly me!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

lol

Quote Originally Posted by garage monster
    Maybe that's my problem... All this time, I'd been doing it on a rigid single speed 29er! Silly me!

And you're probably the same guys that complain it has no flow!

cheers
    phil shep

COMM|T OR EAT SH|T

mtbr member
    Bent Rim was a lot harder when it was first built. There are a few of us who have been riding it since with rigid SSs, which just requires you to stay focused and flow. But we usually have to take a break about 1/2 way to recover (and let the rest of the group catch up).

In the winter, it's a lot easier when snow and ice fill in or hide the gaps. A few years ago when we had alot of snow, then freezing rain, then a bit more snow (on the day the All Weather Challenge got postponed), the trail became a leisurly stroll (thin layer of snow on top of a hard crust of ice), and a group of ~10 of us rode the entire thing end to end without dabbing.

mtbr member
    I rode it a couple of months back and was wondering the same thing - I'd like to see someone clean this thing 100%. Good post.

Here's a challenge - someone clean it or come close and post a vid so the rest of us can see WTF we are doing wrong.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by philshep
    It's doable...

I've never cleaned it 100% end to end. The user Timber, on this board, I'm certain has!

Our riding group separates Bent Rim into Bent Rim I and Bent Rim II. (South to North)

The doubletrack you cross over is where Bent Rim II begins. Bent Rim I is a piece of cake... I normally clean it. The work done this spring has made Bent Rim I much easier. Bent Rim II, however, is much more challenging and I don't clean it nearly as often.

I haven't been able to get the full 'ACE'... yet. One day.

Two or three dabs for me end to end is a good day

cheers
    I was riding an aggressive 6x6 MTB (Specialized Pitch) at the time... man I'm useless ... that said it didn't really feel all that precise for the slow bits with such a long wheelbase and slack head angle.

Besides that I'm somewhat relieved that I'm not the only one who found this riddiculously challenging. I concur with Zoidberg's idea, I definitely want to see a vid just to get an idea how to clear some of the sections. I felt that a lot of the challenge is maintaining momentum through really long sections. If I stopped for anything I'd have to walk the rest of the section.

Next question is... running in winter? We're allowed to do that (legally)? And when running in the winter, isn't that quite slippery?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ktse
    ... running in winter? We're allowed to do that (legally)? And when running in the winter, isn't that quite slippery?
    Riding is allowed until XC skiing season starts, which depends on snow. That said, the agreement forest is open for riding all winter. Etiquette is NOT to ride on any groomed or set tracks, especially if you wander into the conservation area. And Bent Rim is not a ski trail.

Slippery? Only when there is ice. Packed snow has excellent traction. A thin layer of snow makes for a eerily quiet ride. Water crossings with ice on the banks can be hazardous.

IMBA-GORBA Bike Patrol

there are some that can

Not as impossible as you may think. As with any tech trail you need to ride them often inorder to find the most correct line and learn at what speed to hit it at. We the folks that would rather ride Hilton Falls/Agreement Forest before any other trail ( other then a few way north and one to the east) have spent countless hours riding and reriding each section and every time we do they flatten themselves out a bit more.
    BR1 & 2 has become far to easy over the years and they have to be ridden back wards.
    ENJOY LIFE RIDE A BIKE
    Blur XC black
    Chameleon gray
    Nomad Black
    V10 black
    True North 853

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by IAMTBER
    BR1 & 2 has become far to easy over the years and they have to be ridden back wards.
    Wow - please, show us a sample of your hard earned experiences and post a vid. I would love to see someone clear that sucker; nothing like watching someone else complete a section that you have first hand experience with and can't complete, just so you know that it can be done.

rad to the power of sick
    I went there once in high school and deemed the trail unrideable... 8 years later and with quite a bit more experience under my belt, ive realized it is indeed rideable.. I went there last week after the kelso race on a whim and managed to complete the trail dabbling only once or twice.. although my chop and hack/ upper body manoevering left something to be desired.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Only guy I know to claim riding it without dabbing was a trial's rider who thinks riding over a car is easy.

Slick Rick
    anyone have pictures of this thing?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

video footage....

I have a Go-Pro and even following someone doesn't do it justice...

here's some footage from this spring... the starting of the vid is me riding Bent Rim I backwards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQ57j3e_5LU

The rest of the video is along the Bruce Trail traveling east from the top of 6th line hill. If you think Bent Rim is tough, you should check out this nugget of trail! There's some serious tech. Earlier on this year, we created a 'Man Ride' loop, which started from Mohawk Raceway and did a loop out to Hwy. 25 (St. Helena's Rd) and back. 40km's of the most rock infested trails in the area. It took us over 6 hours.

cheers
    phil shep

COMM|T OR EAT SH|T

Evil Jr.
    Sweet!

Great, now I want to go out riding! Good thing it's Tuesday!

veldrijder
    Quote Originally Posted by superlightracer
    I went there once in high school and deemed the trail unrideable... 8 years later and with quite a bit more experience under my belt, ive realized it is indeed rideable
    I had a similar experience with Hilton Falls over just 1 year - a relative beginner still, I found that terrain went from 1% rideable for me last year to maybe 50% rideable now. The main problem is the inability to pedal on a bike with a reasonable BB height, and thus all the ratcheting you must do - I'm sure a bike suited to the terrain (i.e. with a high BB) would be more effective, but it would also be no fun to ride anywhere else around southern ontario...

IMBA-GORBA Bike Patrol

there are vids

seach You Tube " Hilton Falls" these are a few
    Part1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd28L7cyhUg
    Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FiXBjmciXY
    The problem with watching the vids or seeing pics is that the trails don't look as bad as they are, hills are not as steep and drops not as high.
    WOW offers a rocks and logs clinic at Hilton which is a good first step.
    If interested there are most every Sunday morning at 9:30 from the main lot.
    Last edited by IAMTBER; 08-05-2009 at 05:00 AM.
    ENJOY LIFE RIDE A BIKE
    Blur XC black
    Chameleon gray
    Nomad Black
    V10 black
    True North 853