Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    1946:2006:2066

HELP: it snowed in Toronto

where's the Army
    "Be not afraid of going slowly but only of standing still." - Chinese Proverb

mtbr member
    Let's just blame gas guzzling suv's for every incidence of extreme weather, snowstorms, rainstorms, thunderstorms, extreme cold, extreme heat it's all suv's fault Oh BTW I drive one so I am partly to blame

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    hail to the SUV hahah great bike transporters too!

nice avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfchild
    Let's just blame gas guzzling suv's for every incidence of extreme weather, snowstorms, rainstorms, thunderstorms, extreme cold, extreme heat it's all suv's fault Oh BTW I drive one so I am partly to blame
    meet my desk top companion
    Attached Images Attached Images

rad to the power of sick
    As I attempted to shovel the driveway this morning, an SUV with 3 expensive bikes loaded on it, definitely drove by.

mtbr member
    My 4wd definetly helped me to get out of my apt parking lot this morning, it was a cake walk , oh and FireDog46 that's a beautiful Wolf for sure

Double-metric mtb man
    hehehe. You all would love things out west We've been playing in snow for a little while now With the right tires, it's a fun time to ride (unless it is -20C like it is out near Edmonton these days).
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

brings back memories...

I remember that storm; no one on our cul-de-sac in Etobicoke could get out of the driveway. Me and my friends always loved driving in the snow with the 4x4, so we spent some time helping people getting over the snowbanks that the plows left at the intersections. Every big storm meant bumper-hitching off cars on the side streets too.

I miss big storms like that; here in Calgary we get some good ones too, but a lot of it is the light fluffy stuff. My parents now live near Hanover, and the lake effect snow is awesome. The chances of a white Christmas is huge there compare to here.

mtbr member
    It looks like I will not be able to ride my bike to work tommorow : , way too much snow on the sidewalks along my usual commuting route, gona have to drive instead.I think I will have to wait one or two days until the snow gets cleared away before I can ride again.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    How to play in the snow west coast style.

Today Mt. Baker

You know everyone that lives north of the GTA laughs at you city folk every time it snows and it's a gong show.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    It amazes me whenever toronto complains it snowed...gee...yer in close proximitry to the great lakes... wonder where the moisture might be coming from to produce SNOWFALL.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

Doh!

Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    It amazes me whenever toronto complains it snowed...gee...yer in close proximitry to the great lakes... wonder where the moisture might be coming from to produce SNOWFALL.
    Is that where it comes from. I thought it was the tooth fairy.

Looking for Adventure
    Most Canadian immigrants come to live in Toronto, and most have never seen snow. It just takes a few of them on the roads to cause kaos.....trust me on this. Otherwise, those of us who were born and raised here have no problems......even with little honda civics with all season radials. I can guide that car at 60km/hr on a curving road in 15 cm of slushy snow.
    SUCCESS - To be able to spend life in your own way

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Whenever you see an accident from snowfall, are you saying it's most likely due to an immigrant? I dunno man; people are just stupid on the roads in winter no matter where you are from and no matter what province you live in. You would think we could figure it out sooner or later.

Toronto is always the target for not knowing how to deal with snow, but let's see Vancouver deal with even 20cm overnight. I know Calgary would freak out (and we do, trust me - it's ridiculous; highway 2 from Calgary to Edmonton is littered with cars in the ditch)

One thing I get a kick out of though is how the Toronto storms end up as the CBC national top story .

Bored
    Don't forget, that Toronto doesn't just include the City itself, but all of the outlining areas including Mississauga, Vaughan, Richmond Hill, Markham ect. All of these regions usually deal with the City itself. This presents a population of close to 3.5 million, and very little infrastructure except highways and a huge amount of sprawl to move through out the GTA. When it snows heavily, all of those people are supposed to get to their jobs. Now tell me how well this works?

Also, I think the immigrant comment was more based on how many carribean, south Asian and other warm climate immigrants just aren't used to the snow and how to deal with it.
    MTBR is serious stuff.
    You never get better until you get out of your comfort zone.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by xcolin
    Toronto is always the target for not knowing how to deal with snow, but let's see Vancouver deal with even 20cm overnight.
    It wasn't that bad this time. Well mind you I wasn't driving around town and Saturday morning I was on the road at 5am to get out into the backcountry to go skiing and Sunday on the road to Mt. Baker at 6am so most of the idiots were still in bed.

The biggest clusterfuvk in this latest storm was the Sea to Sky it snows on it most all winter from Squamish to Whistler and fraily frequently from Squamish to Horseshoe Bay. Seems they did a piss poor job of keeping it clear in this storm and people got stuck and started leaving cars on the side of the road, then a snowplow ran out of gas. I think the road was closed for 6+ hours. Took most people about 10 hours to do the usual 2hr drive back from Whistler.

The saving grace here is that it usually only snows for a day or two then it rains and melts it all out.

Misfit Psycles
    Quote Originally Posted by shirk
    The saving grace here is that it usually only snows for a day or two then it rains and melts it all out.
    i beg to differ...
    the saving grace is that all those lucky bludgers that sat for 10hrs were at least coming back from whistler...small price to pay where i'm sitting...

while i dont think rockemsockem's comment was made in a derogatory fashion i think it was incomplete...what he meant to say was that it is the geriatric female lesbian immigrants in wheelchairs that are messing everything up...but you know that.

n.b. - i am offended by the above statement so please direct your complaints to santa.

n.r.b. - i am offended that they ^ are offended.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by shirk
    It wasn't that bad this time. Well mind you I wasn't driving around town and Saturday morning I was on the road at 5am to get out into the backcountry to go skiing and Sunday on the road to Mt. Baker at 6am so most of the idiots were still in bed.
    just watch out for this guy. I think him or Shelby (from Calgary) will get the honours of Canada's Worst Driver this year. Shelby should get something for at least being the weirdest. love that show...

mtbr member
    Very nice picture shirk.

That is exactly what I did this weekend, except it was Ontario style (and I don't think I have to explain the difference ). I did not have any trouble driving, but then I drive up north to ski every weekend, all winter.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

Singlespeed Mysty
    Quote Originally Posted by FireDog46
    where's the Army
    boo hoo FireDog

pull out your shovel... and there is your army...

you need to take a trip north of the city... after you are done shoveling - you can make your way to Newmarket and see some real snow ... just don't forget your shovel eh?
    "I became a member of Team Misfit Psycles because of the free coasters"

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by serious
    Very nice picture shirk.

That is exactly what I did this weekend, except it was Ontario style (and I don't think I have to explain the difference ). I did not have any trouble driving, but then I drive up north to ski every weekend, all winter.
    Blue? or something over Barrie way?

I had a Blue night pass for four or five years before I moved west. Skied 5 to 7 nights a week all season. The drive was usually about 45 minutes from work. My skiing has come a long way since lapping groomers, now I avoid them at all cost.

conjoinicorned
    egads....i'm stuck in barrie (actually horseshoe valley) right now and i haven't seen this much snow for a while, i wish i had my snowbike.

i do have to give ontario credit for the amazing amount and response time of the snowplows, they are everywhere!
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

Singlespeed Mysty

eghads is right...

Quote Originally Posted by ferday
    egads....i'm stuck in barrie (actually horseshoe valley) right now and i haven't seen this much snow for a while, i wish i had my snowbike.

i do have to give ontario credit for the amazing amount and response time of the snowplows, they are everywhere!
    hey we just got dumped on again in Newmarket and it's still coming down... I just shoveled a foot of snow... thank my lucky snow angels that it was the light variety... but shoveling with a layer of ice underneath the driveway was challenging to say the least...

hey FireDog... where the hell are you with that shovel?
    "I became a member of Team Misfit Psycles because of the free coasters"

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

mtbr member
    shirk: Blue? or something over Barrie way? ..... My skiing has come a long way since lapping groomers, now I avoid them at all cost.

It was at Mount Saint Loluis-Moonstone. And I am painfully aware of the way skiing changes between Ontario groomers and crazy stuff in the Rockies. I never made it to Whistler, but I skied in BC, Colorado and Utah, so I have a good idea. I am always humbled by the big Western mountains.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

Looking for Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheelboy_490
    This presents a population of close to 3.5 million, and very little infrastructure except highways and a huge amount of sprawl to move through out the GTA. When it snows heavily, all of those people are supposed to get to their jobs. Now tell me how well this works?

Also, I think the immigrant comment was more based on how many carribean, south Asian and other warm climate immigrants just aren't used to the snow and how to deal with it.
    Yup (It takes only one person moving at 10 km/hr on the highway to slow everyone else down, and provoke others to take risks to pass)

and

Yup (Our South African neighbour used to have a panic attack whenever it snowed in the first few years. Used to have the cleanest driveway after a snowfall)
    SUCCESS - To be able to spend life in your own way

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast