Live Free or Ride!

Headset Installation

I'm thinking about purchasing a new headset. First off, is this something I will be able to do on my own? Do I need any special tools?

Two, I'm looking at a Chris King headfset, is this the way to go? Does anything else compare?
    2007 Giant Anthem 1
    2009 Giant XTC 0

rad to the power of sick
    Chris King headsets are the definition of a perfect headset. But yes... they cost alot.

FSA makes some solidly reliable HS too, check out the orbit mx, and orbit pro extreme. Both very good, and less than half of the price of the Chris King

Lastly, check out the solos by Cane Creek. Almost as good as the Chris king but cheaper.

Removal and installation is a basic procedure, but requires special tools. There are several DIY methods, but needless to say, erring on the side of caution and using the proper tool is the best bet.

cheers

President, CEO of Earth
    If you buy a $100+ headset, you should go to a reputable shop and pay the $15 - $20 they will charge to make sure it is installed correctly.
    "Newfoundland dogs are good to save children from drowning, but you must have a pond of water handy" - Josh Billings

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedub.Nate
    Realizing this thread is a month old, I'll offer up the following info on the NRS:

Yes, it used a Zero Stack headset system.

The cups are removeable, just like conventional headset cups. If they weren't, it would be obvious the head tube is a solid chunk of aluminum. Next time you're at the shop, take a look at an Ibis Mojo or a Maverick frame, or any number of road frames to see the difference.

If you have a frame earlier than 2002, you'll need a shallow Zero Stack headset, which conforms to the original Cane Creek standard. Compatible headsets include the entire Cane Creek ZS line, as well as the FSA Orbit ZS.

Newer than 2002, Giant began reaming their head tube deeper to accept deeper cups. An example of this is the FSA Orbit Z.

I've posted pictures of the two cup depths below.

As a commentary, it is unfortunate the "Integrated" (i.e. machined head tube, drop-in bearings, no cups) is so similar in name to "Internal", (aka Zero Stack, w/ pressed-in cups).

Zero Stack is by far a superior design to "Integrated," yet despite the problems/complaints/rants against the machined-in design of the Integrated system, Giant mistakenly continued to refer to their headsets as "Integrated" on their website for a number of years, adding to the confusion.

Then FSA goes and modifies the standard (the deeper cups was a change), making them incompatible with some frames, such as the '01 NRS. Last I checked, Cane Creek was still only producing the shorter cups.

Why do you want a new headset? Is it for your giant? If so, consider the fact that giant uses a zero stack headset. I don't know that chris king makes one of those. i could be wrong though.
    Last edited by rkj__; 10-28-2007 at 10:34 AM.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

livin' large
    I'm a big fan of Chris King headsets, both my bikes have them. They do cost more but the durability more than makes up for the $.

every time I bought one the shop installed it for free* ! (*with the purchase of a $200 headset)
    it tied the room together man!

Live Free or Ride!
    It is a Giant, hmmm how would I find out which one it is? Just email Giant i guess
    2007 Giant Anthem 1
    2009 Giant XTC 0

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by GiantMartin
    It is a Giant, hmmm how would I find out which one it is? Just email Giant i guess
    A reputable giant dealer should be able to answer your questions, if the above still leaves you puzzled. i'd start there. i am not sure that you would be able to get direct contact with giant.

you never said why you wanted to replace your headset either. If there is nothing wrong with the one you have, i would suggest you don't worry about it.

On my nrs, i have the same headset that came stock on the rainer i purchased in 2002 (5 years ago). no play, no noise.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Out there
    Aug 2006
    I use a piece of 3/8 threaded steel rod with a pair of thick washers at either end, and a mighty nut. Then use big monkey wrenches to tighten down. It's a little nerve wracking the first time you do it but it works. YMMV.
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I also have the long bolt with big washers. My headset remover is a copper pipe cut down the middle to open it up a bit. Home Depot has fantastic bike tools. Both work.

Burnt Orange Lives

i just purchased

a headset tool...

it works... and is not scary...

Quote Originally Posted by north_of_us
    I also have the long bolt with big washers. My headset remover is a copper pipe cut down the middle to open it up a bit. Home Depot has fantastic bike tools. Both work.

sru
    mtbr member
    If its a CK, get the LBS to do it. If not, do a search in tooltime for headset intall. There are tons on threads with pics. to show you how to do it, and what parts to buy.

I had my Cane Creek headset installed (first time I did it) in 10 minutes with my bike laying on my garage floor using $10.00 worth of stuff I bought from the local Rona store. I too now have a headset press.

mtbr member
    You will need a headset press for sure of you can hack the job using some lumber and a mallet. Also, Chris King's are good but expensive......normally I would not recommend them if your not doing any rough type stuff like downhilling or hucking. Any decent priced headset will do then. I have a S6 crane creek and its great!
    BURN IT UP >>>>>>>>PEDALOCTANE>>>>>>>

Burnt Orange Lives

i heard that Chris Kring is the bestest..

Quote Originally Posted by PedalOctaneManager
    You will need a headset press for sure of you can hack the job using some lumber and a mallet. Also, Chris King's are good but expensive......normally I would not recommend them if your not doing any rough type stuff like downhilling or hucking. Any decent priced headset will do then. I have a S6 crane creek and its great!
    much better than Crane Creek... Crane Creek is only for poseurs...

mtbr member
    It does the job for me thanks ................SAVE YOUR MONEY!

Burnt Orange Lives

on a more serious note...

i've had Chris King head set on my Truth for 3.5 years... it survived transrockies last season... still smooth as a butta'... no play at all... during the same time, my friend was using Cane Creek S2 - it seized on him to the point it had to be replaced immediately...

my next headset may not necessarily be CK, as i think that many manufacturers have caught up with good technology - so i will probably go with Race Face Deus HS - we will se what length of service i will get out of it... Though, i am still convinced that money spent on CK is well worth it...

Quote Originally Posted by PedalOctaneManager
    It does the job for me thanks ................SAVE YOUR MONEY!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo
    i've had Chris King head set on my Truth for 3.5 years... it survived transrockies last season... still smooth as a butta'... no play at all... during the same time, my friend was using Cane Creek S2 - it seized on him to the point it had to be replaced immediately...

my next headset may not necessarily be CK, as i think that many manufacturers have caught up with good technology - so i will probably go with Race Face Deus HS - we will se what length of service i will get out of it... Though, i am still convinced that money spent on CK is well worth it...

No doubt Chris King is a great product, but it is a pricey head set and some people just dont need that kind of product for the kind of riding they do. FSA tends to be a very respected name in this product line.

MTB Freak
    Jun 2007
    I have a 96 vintage CK hs that gets reasonably frequent use, I have only once needed to disassemble & regrease(was after nasty mudfest xc race ) didn't really need it tho.I have a mate who has upgraded his frame 3 times in 15 years and swapped over his CK each time,stories you hear about people getting 20 trouble free years of service ARE true!!! p.s. Down here CK headsets nudge $300!!! tho if you average it out the amount of $/ time wasted replacing a cheap hs makes the investment in quality worthwhile.