Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Evil Jr.

Heads UP!: Haudenosaunee Hunt to Start Monday in Dundas Valley!

I'd stay off Headwaters Trail at a minimum for safety's sake!

Quote Originally Posted by Dundas Star News

Native hunt to close Dundas Valley beginning next week

By Richard Leitner, News Staff

Haudenosaunee hunters will “harvest” up to 40 deer as part of an agreement to close the west end of the Dundas Valley to the general public on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays beginning next week.

The Hamilton Conservation Authority announced the hunt, which will continue until Dec. 21, this afternoon in a press release and a letter to neighbours of the affected area, bounded by Powerline, Martin, Jerseyville and Paddy Green Roads.

“The closure is enacted in the interest of public safety,” the letter stated. “Hunting will mainly be done with a crossbow, although a shotgun could also be used. Hunting cannot take place within 150 metres of a residence.”

The hunt comes after the Haudenosaunee Council ratified a protocol reached with the authority’s board of directors last week to address First Nations treaty rights in the Dundas Valley.

“The treaty rights are valid, and the Haudenosaunee have the right to hunt as they wish,” board chair Brian McHattie said. “The protocol clarifies our mutual intentions and protects both parties, as well as the public.”

The protocol notes a January 2009 aerial assessment in the Dundas Valley counted 505 deer, or nearly 300 more than the Ministry of Natural Resources deems desirable.

Haudenosaunee representative Brian Skye said “the deer taken will go to the longhouses for ceremonies and to elders, as well as to feed hunters’ families.”

“Of course we intend to conduct the harvest safely, humanely, and consistent with best conservation practices,” he said.

“We’re confident that we have been able to find a place where it is safe for our hunters to go; where we can exercise legal traditional rights carefully; where, as a result of there being no other hunters, the deer population has become such that it is damaging the balance of the local ecosystem.”

Signs will be posted at entrances to the affected area, which will remain open to the public Thursdays to Sundays.

The hunt agreement came as the authority reopened nearby Iroquoia Heights Conservation Area on Friday after closing trails on Nov. 1 because of eyewitness reports that hunters with crossbows were in the area.

Chief administrative officer Steve Miazga said he’s “pretty certain” the hunters were Haudenosaunee and they were there without authorization from the authority or their band council.

Haudenosaunee leaders “were not happy” about the hunt and indicated they had spoken one of the two hunters, he said.

“I believe there was a deer taken,” he said.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

namagomi
    People shoot at you in the woods and try to run you down outside of them! :P

bi-winning
    Thanks for the memo.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Dorkimus Prime
    You said, "Heads UP!: Haudenosaunee Hunt to Start Monday in Dundas Valley!".

Probably should say, "Hit the Dirt: Haudenosaunee Hunt to Start Monday in Dundas Valley!"
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

I think the deer read MTBR

I road out in Dundas last saturday and sunday and lots of deer, everywhere. I rode again this afternoon, through Chedoke trail, Iroquois Heights, and most of Dundas, and did not see a single deer.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ol-crank View Post
    I road out in Dundas last saturday and sunday and lots of deer, everywhere. I rode again this afternoon, through Chedoke trail, Iroquois Heights, and most of Dundas, and did not see a single deer.
    That sounds pretty typical to me. Some rides I see 10+ deer, other rides I see none.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Workin for the weekend!
    I've seen lots of deer in the valley, they're in excess for sure. Hopefully the hunt prevents the wasting which ends up happening if the winter gets real cold. I don't understand why the MNR can't regulate a decent hunting season around here. 300 extra deer only create problems for motorists, homeowners & cyclists... I've amost been run over up by a pair of deere up here in Waterdown.

namagomi
    They're like forest rats. Not as bad as wild turkey, but those deer they're spreading ticks. Yech. I don't think i'd eat em either, who knows what they've been into.

I almost got steamrolled by a group of 5 of them once.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
    Thanks for the memo.
    Last year, we didn't see the signs for the hunt until we were on our way OUT of the Valley so I figured this year we'd all fare better forewarned.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Order my new bike today. I wonder if the 1/32 native is good enough to participate. Dragging a deer out with the bike would be like running with a parachute, great strength training.

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor View Post
    Order my new bike today. I wonder if the 1/32 native is good enough to participate. Dragging a deer out with the bike would be like running with a parachute, great strength training.

Drag? Come on... what are you some sort of fred caveman?

humber river advocate
    they are like the moose in newfie land... i say turn them all into this...

Support TORBA
    Sunnyside Bike Park Working Group
    Albion Hills Conservation Area Master Plan Public Advisory Committee

namagomi

Dorkimus Prime
    This guy had his moose before he even got camp set up!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Heads UP!: Haudenosaunee Hunt to Start Monday in Dundas Valley!-gotme-moose.jpg  

"I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggie View Post
    This guy had his moose before he even got camp set up!
    Hahah, what are those marks on the trailer look familiar.

Evil Jr.
    Was out yesterday afternoon and there are now signs up at the Martin Road entrance to Headwaters saying the west end of the Valley is now closed. That is a BIG chunk of land!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Phil Armour helped create the modern meat packing industry. Along with one or two others, he figured out that he could raise beef in the midwest, slaughter it in Chicago, and ship it in refrigerated rail cars overnight to New York City, thus delivering a better product at a lower price. In other words, he did for meat what Henry Ford did for cars. That's no mean achievement. It's a shame to see that legacy reduced to Vienna sausage in a can.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor View Post

There are a number of good hunting zones here in BC that are closed to any motorized vehicles during hunting season. There are some smart hunters that set up a bike with trailer and ride in covering way more ground on bike than they would on foot. Trailer sure helps in packing out the meat.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    There are a number of good hunting zones here in BC that are closed to any motorized vehicles during hunting season. There are some smart hunters that set up a bike with trailer and ride in covering way more ground on bike than they would on foot. Trailer sure helps in packing out the meat.
    There are a few lakes in Northern Ontario that have access via logging roads/snowmobile trails, but are posted by the MNR that you cannot us a motorized vehicle to access them past a certain point (~15 km out).

My uncle and I have been threatening to park the truck and just ride in with a system like this. One day it will happen.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    My girlfriends brother rode across Newfoundland on a bike towing his kayak.

He had paddled from Prince Rupert to Newfoundland via old coureur des bois routes and was trying to get to L'anse aux Meadows to finish his cross Canada paddle (he's the only person to ever paddle across Canada from coast to coast in a single shipping season) but by the time he got to Newfoundland all the lakes and ponds had frozen over. So he borrowed bike and from someone he met on the island and quickly made a trailer from scrap wood and wheels.

photo's of the trip Main | ilyacoureurdesbois.com

If you happen to read french he has published a book on his trip. Home page | ilyacoureurdesbois.com

Evil Jr.
    Wow, that would have been some trip! (Also L'Anse Au Meadows is a super-neat place to visit! )

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    I don't think he's figured out the trailer part yet... could be an o **** moment.

Evil Jr.
    Some more details have come to light regarding the hunt. Deer limit is set at 40 and they'll leave early if they get there faster than expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Dundas Star News

CA positive about Dundas Valley native deer hunt deal

By Richard Leitner, News Staff

The Hamilton Conservation Authority’s chief administrative officer is hailing an agreement to let the Haudenosaunee hunt deer in the Dundas Valley over the next five weeks for setting acceptable ground rules for such hunts.

Steve Miazga said the hunt protocol included input from the Ministry of Natural Resources and Hamilton police to ensure safety and avoids a repeat of the public furor over the sudden appearance of native hunters in the valley last December.

The authority announced last week that an Ancaster portion of the valley will be closed every Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday until Dec. 21 or until the Haudenosaunee reach a limit of 40 deer.

Signs have been posted at trail entrances and notices were hand-delivered to 45 neighbours of the affected area, bounded by Powerline, Martin, Jerseyville and Paddy Green Roads.

Miazga said on Tuesday the first day of the hunt went well and he’d received only a handful of calls from the public, with two in support, a couple asking questions and one opposed.

“We felt that this would be a good location, a good approach for the first year,” he said.
    “It’s removed from other major trails. We know that there are deer there based on (visual) surveys both by the Haudenosaunee and our staff.”

Under the agreement, the Haudenosaunee, who maintain treaty rights to hunt in the valley, will inform the ministry and police of the hunt’s dates, times, contact information and emergency plans.

Hunters will carry identification, keep at least 150 metres away from homes and use only use bows and shotguns “to take deer humanely.”

They will hunt from tree stands and blinds where possible and won’t use dogs, feed bait or lighting to blind deer. Hunting will only take place during the day, although wounded deer can be tracked after sunset.

“We see this as a very positive step forward,” Miazga said of the protocol, which only applies to this year and will be reviewed after the hunt concludes.

“We have been able to bring parameters around the hunt, and by parameters I mean the distance (from homes), the times, keeping it away from weekends and holidays.”
    Miazga said the 40 deer limit shouldn’t have a significant impact because a 2009 aerial survey counted 505 deer in the valley, or nearly 300 more than the ministry considers ecologically desirable.

He said the authority didn’t create a deer management advisory committee to first study the situation, as it did for an apparent overpopulation deer at Iroquoia Heights Conservation Area, because the circumstances are different.

The committee advised against a hunt there, calling for measures to discourage feeding of deer and more study over the next three years, unless the situation changes dramatically.
    Miazga said overpopulation is less severe in the valley and deer have more natural corridors to move in and out of the area.

“Iroquoia Heights, to us, is a unique situation where it’s an area of natural habitat that’s an island amongst development and deer are trapped there, to a large degree,” he said.

Workin for the weekend!
    Only 40 and likely 300plus hunters... It'll be over fast. When deer become nuisance animals (sad to say it) they need the hunt to maintain balance...

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by -Todd- View Post
    Only 40 and likely 300plus hunters... It'll be over fast. When deer become nuisance animals (sad to say it) they need the hunt to maintain balance...
    In some cases it's to remove them form places they never inhabited. Along the BC coast the MNR quietly issues deer permits for some of the islands. The reason is simply to eradicate them because they where never there before. The deer where brought there by humans and years later the "experts" realized they made an error.

But the reality is without other predators around to go after them they will flourish. Plus add in thanks to man will have an adequate food source. Hmm sounds like 2002 when Toronto brought in the green bins. Prior to that the Racoon population was booming because of the food source- Idiot humans tossing on the lawn/curb plastic bags of garbage. Easy access for a Racoon. Once the easy food source was scarcer thanks to green bins they started to die off. Basically survival of the strongest, fittest, and smartest.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast