mtbr member

Heading West....

Heading out to Vancouver sometime this summer/fall, looking for ideas, places to visit, own experiences/ tips...I'll be out there 10-14 days. Never been further west than Windsor! I figure Ive got 2 days riding time, then maybe a day or two riding with my wife (beginner-rider) Whistler, is my obvious choice, for # of trails and varying difficulty levels... Any trails recommended in/at/ aorund Whistler. Or other places...
    Thinking of also renting an RV/Van vs staying in hotels...wondering if anyone has done this
    My mind is all over the place right now,just so excited, so if anyone has got any ideas /advice. please comment..
    Cheers...

bi-winning
    I'd suggest poking around the WESTERN Canada forum
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    well all depends on when you are coming. For riding with the wife you may want to try Lost lake.
    Now you can't come to Whistler and miss some of the epics. Be prepared though...... our trails are much harder than what you will be used too.
    River runs through it...... has lots of technical features
    Thrill me Kill... another classic.
    Anything up on the Westside
    Comfortably Numb....a true Epic ride

sproket buster
    Oct 2007
    For blissfull relaxation try Tofino, not much riding there but the world slows down and you can surly recharge. For accomodation try hostels if you are on a budget. There is one at Whistler and Tofino. Vancouver has a lot of choices for sleeping quaters.
    You will have a trip of a life time if planned right.
    Live to ride, ride to live... out of Mississauga.

MTB: Cannondale HT--------Pavment: Specialized Sirrus

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Climb this.

Ride sweet smooooooth ridgeline singletrack.

Look at purdy mountains while you ride.

mtbr member
    Wow,amazing pics! Now thats what Im talking about, epic rides with some techy stuff thrown in. Ridge rides that seem to go on for ever...
    Thanks for all the replies, and trail sugestions. Im sure this trip will put Keslo into perspective! What's the best month to visit? Were pretty flexible from June thru Sept.
    Were still up in the air about accommodations and how long we plan to stay any place.
    So far its Vancouver 2-3 days, Whistler 2-3 days, and 4-6 days left tba
    Cheers all, I'll be sure to post some pics...

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by smiley
    Im sure this trip will put Keslo into perspective!
    Kelso? Kelso!? Wouldn't that be like comparing a fish bowl to the ocean?
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Late August or Sept will be better. Remember that the higher alpine rides are still under snow untill June. The ride in those pics had snow in spots and that was in mid June. That one doesn't have any tech stuff, just smooth singletrack then a hella fun luge run plunge off the ridge back to the valley floor.

ups and downs
    Don't skip over the interior of BC, Seven Summits in Rossland BC is Bike Mag's Trail of the year.

mtbr member

too many trails

With all these trail options I may have to leave my wife behind and make it a biking trip

Cant wait to get out of this fish bowl

Cheers

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Be careful. You and/or the wife may not want to come back. We spent a week over there and would love to move there if it wasn't for the outrageous house prices. Don't leave out the infamous North Shore. Mt. Seymour was so much fun. We stayed in Squamish when we rode Whistler (3 days), reasonable cost with an awesome view every morning.

Enjoy.

Bike Junkie
    I'll second Comfortably Numb, it finishes up in the Whistler village. But starts quite a ride away. I also did a ride starting in Squamish. We were trying to do some of the Test of Metal course.
    See You On The Trails!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    meh Uncomfortable Bum is a crappy ride. If you are only going to ride a couple trails I wouldn't pick that as one of them.

I just wanna ride my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by skihillguy
    For riding with the wife you may want to try Lost lake.
    Cheakamus Lake trail is a nice easy ride too--a little bit of up and down--with scenic spots.

I just wanna ride my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by shirk
    meh Uncomfortable Bum is a crappy ride. If you are only going to ride a couple trails I wouldn't pick that as one of them.
    Ya, crappy: long techy climbs, too many rocks, roots and ladder bridges, steep rock faces and boring views. And all those damn big trees that you have to ride around, too, plus the occasional bear.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TheotherH
    Ya, crappy: long techy climbs, too many rocks, roots and ladder bridges, steep rock faces and boring views. And all those damn big trees that you have to ride around, too, plus the occasional bear.
    Those aren't technical climbs, the rock faces are tiny, ladder briges?, any true high alpine views?

It's a decent trail, just not the best around.