Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

HCC Presents: Sweet Roads and Salty Treats...Tour de Buttertart

884 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  CptSydor 
#1 ·
What marks the start of spring and the cycling season more than the Tour De Buttertart?

Yes, it's back. This year TdB is being run through the Hamilton Cycling Club. That's right, the club that is responsible for bringing great, legal singletrack to Hamilton is also out to support our riding and sweet tooth problems. This takes a major burden of myself and previous organizers/associates (Nerdgirl, Garage Monster and Domestique) as there is now a framework in place for organizing a ride such as this.

Hamilton Cycling Club | Pushing the Pace Since 1881

Specific details.

Date: Sunday April 6th.

Time: Sign-up Opens at 8:00 am, departure at 9:00 am.

Info: The ride will be ~110 km and visit 3 local shops that make outstanding buttertarts. Everyone must be prepared to ride this distance, as well as being self supported in the event of flats/mechanical. Expect to be out at least 5 hours. There will be two groups departing, one that will be riding at a faster pace (generally 30+ km/h) and a second more moderate/social pace (25-28 km/h). The groups may subdivide into smaller packs to keep road congestion to a minimum if applicable. There will be overlap between groups at all stops. This ride is all on paved roads. Everyone is expected to obey all traffic laws.

I am looking at adding a smaller, 60 km ride, but cannot confirm this at the moment.

Sign-up: The ride is open to all Hamilton Cycling Club (HCC) Members (free). Any good standing member of the OCA is welcome to participate by presenting proof and obtaining an associate membership of the HCC ($5). You can sign up at the event. For any people wishing to participate who are not OCA members, you are welcome to try this event as a guest of the Hamilton Cycling Club ($5) and the OCA. This is allow you get to know members, see what we are up to and get a low down on our trail building efforts at Christie. It will also allow you to see what traditions we are starting by hosting events such as this. Hopefully this will inspire you to be a part of the efforts.

There will be a waivers to fill out at the event. Everyone participating in the ride must cooperate with this or they will be declined access to the ride.

I think that's all the details! I'll post up links to paperwork so people can fill out in advance if they wish.

Don't forget to show up early and grab some great coffee at Domestique. There will also be a few beers enjoyed afterwards as well!

See less See more
#4 ·
I'm so glad this is working out.

Of note - if you get an associate membership (or a proper membership!), you can participate (for a small fee - or even smaller if you're a full member) in other fine HCC events, including Sydenham hill climbs, road time trials, small road races (often Australian pursuit style) and mountain bike time trials in Christie.

#7 ·
I have very bad news folks. We've run into a glitch/fine print that makes running this event, in this format, far more difficult. The end result is that the buttertart ride will end up being far less inclusive and potentially encourage people to come out, not be eligible, then possibly choose to ride 'rogue'. I cannot put the HCC in this position. I want to thank the executive for working with me on trying to make this possible, but it doesn't look like it is feasible. Unfortunately continuing to run this ride without sanctioning is putting various parties at risk, which is what we tried to circumvent. I regret to say I have to cancel the ride.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.