• 01-15-2013
    tommy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BigGK View Post
    Which tire was that, RR?

Yes the Rocket Rons at Durham - front & rear on my SS.
  • 01-15-2013
    14Stone
    Durham - RoRo's on the SS

I want to like my Ikons.... I really do....
  • 01-17-2013
    Swerny
    I run a RaRa 29 x 2.25 rear and NoNi 29 x 2.25 front tubeless on the Stan's Arch wheels for everyday riding.

I like the extra bite of the NoNi on the front to prevent washouts.

If I were racing, i would throw the RaRa back on.
  • 01-18-2013
    BigGK
    Reading real good things about the NoNi's, I think thats gonna be my f/t.

What about a rear? RaRa's are good too from what I've read. Other options or just do NoNi f/r?
  • 01-19-2013
    aerius
    Getting back to being mostly serious. I do not race but I have ridden most of the O-cup courses on my own time. For hardpack the Conti Race King 2.2 is my favourite tire, it's fast, it sticks, and it's nice & big so it gives a cushy ride that doesn't beat up my body. It's also shockingly good on rocky trails such as Buckwallow or the Mohawk Agreement Forest, it does a great job of conforming around rocks & roots to keep traction while the short tread blocks give a good feel and don't get damaged or torn off. On the downside, getting the pressure right is quite important or else the tire bounces around like a superball. I'm about 150lbs and keep it in the 25-30psi range. It also sucks in loose corners, the knobs are too dinky to dig in and grip once there's a thicker layer of moondust and loose dirt in the turns.

For general everyday riding I go with the Conti MKII. Rolls decently, sticks darn well, clears mud nicely and it'll punch through mud, leaves, or whatever else to find traction. Cornering took a bit of getting used to for me since the lack of transition knobs leads to a bit of a dead spot, the tire needs to be leaned over hard to get the most cornering traction out of it. Once I got used to that it was great. Darn things last forever too, I got my set last spring, put over 1200km on it and it barely looks used. I'll definitely stock up on them once I finish my current tire swapping & testing binge.
  • 01-20-2013
    osokolo
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Yes the Rocket Rons at Durham - front & rear on my SS.

you'd be faster on RaRas.
  • 01-20-2013
    tommy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    you'd be faster on RaRas.

Yeah, I think it was on your advise that I setup my geared bike with RaRa on the back and RoRo on the front - I suppose that is a faster combo, but the RoRo/RoRo on the SS just feels more balanced, less twitchy.

Who is Hutch and why should he be freed?
  • 01-20-2013
    osokolo
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Yeah, I think it was on your advise that I setup my geared bike with RaRa on the back and RoRo on the front - I suppose that is a faster combo, but the RoRo/RoRo on the SS just feels more balanced, less twitchy.

Who is Hutch and why should he be freed?

Hutch is a member that was banned and comrades were supporting him...