Lemmy Rules!

Hardwood Singletrack Challenge

It's this weekend! Who is in?

I'll be riding. Yes my left hand is still in a cast but I figure I can move my fingers enough to use the front brake. Shifting could be an issue so I'll just stay in my big ring the whole time. Or ride my single speed. My doctor would probably disapprove so I'll be sandbagging in the 24k start (I will concede riding bone shaker with only one good hand may be pushing my luck).

If you are on this forum, coming out for the race, and I have not met you yet, look for the guy in the Lapdogs kit with the purple cast and feel free to introduce yourself.
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I am in it as well but in a team. I was supposed to be doing the harder route but this past weekend I tweaked my knee so I will be doing the easier trails now. Still looking forward to it even though I am not 100% for it. Should be fun! Lets hope for some good weather.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I was thinking of passing on this event.....but now I am thinking otherwise. Just not sure if I have 50km In me, tour de king was hard enough and it had roads lol.

Maybe the 24k would work.

Cyclist
    Just signed up for the 50km. After the 8 hrs Epic, this should be easier (at least in theory).

I'll look for you Unglued.
    My Rides:
    MTB Giant XTC 26" HT
    Cross Cannondale SuperX
    Road Cervelo R5

bi-winning
    I just signed up for 50km solo. Should be fun, for a little while, until it turns into misery and suffering.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    I did this a few years ago and it was fun (even on a singlespeed). Having said that, it is the Singletrack Challenge, which I overlooked a bit in planning my drinking. If feasible, I prefer bottles, and use doubletrack breaks to drink (I would rather not ride one-handed for longer than necessary in singletrack). In this race, I just didn't drink enough and ended up cramping near the end (which NEVER happens to me). I recommend a Camelback.

Also, I won a great bike (thanks Jamis)! So, I have fond feelings for the race.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    When I did the 50k in 2011 I used bottles for serious, cranked, and fun, and a camelback for radical and gnarly. I would highly recommend this approach as long as you have someone to pass you a bottle and refill the camelback etc. There is VERY little opportunity for drinking from a bottle on radical and gnarly.

This race is super fun! probably the best thing for me, besides the sweet singletrack, was the lack of rider traffic compared to other race formats.

mtbr member
    I will probably skip this race altogether. Travel, long hours, bad food and no training was the theme for this week. I am basically in "off season" mode now, so I don't really care what I do ... and I have to admit that it feels good to not care.

I may come to do the 24km fun ride, but only if it does not rain. There is no way I can muster the motivation to ride in the rain now. And if I do come for the 24km ride, I shall focus on the one-armed Lapdog rider. I will "accidentally" kick his good arm and will be assured to beat him then.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

All my faucets is Moen.
    I'm in off-season mode too. But I registered anyway (singlespeed) and will just come for the fun ride.
    I suppose my only goal is to beat my time from 2011 which was really, really slow.

As for food I just grab a new bottle and snack every time I start a new lap.

bi-winning
    How does the timing of this race work?

When you finish one lap, does your time for the next lap start ticking right away?
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
    How does the timing of this race work?

When you finish one lap, does your time for the next lap start ticking right away?
    Yes. After every "lap", they cross out the lap you finished with a marker (right on your plate number) and off you go to your next lap. You are allowed to leave supplies in the transition, so before heading out you can grab water/food.
    My rides:
    KHS Team 29
    Pake French 75 track

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by serious View Post
    I will probably skip this race altogether. Travel, long hours, bad food and no training was the theme for this week. I am basically in "off season" mode now, so I don't really care what I do ... and I have to admit that it feels good to not care.

I may come to do the 24km fun ride, but only if it does not rain. There is no way I can muster the motivation to ride in the rain now. And if I do come for the 24km ride, I shall focus on the one-armed Lapdog rider. I will "accidentally" kick his good arm and will be assured to beat him then.
    Bring it, Tom....
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I'll be riding this. I only started riding this year and bought my first serious bike (Santa Cruz Bronson). I entered 50km solo, I'm just going to see if I can finish it. I did the fall Epic 8 hour in a 3/4 man team format. 4 laps of that at a racing pace and I was DONE! This will be a slower, fun ride for me.

All black outfit with a blinding yellow fall riding jacket. Say hi!

bi-winning

Hardwood Singletrack Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by Nerdgirl View Post
    I did this a few years ago and it was fun (even on a singlespeed). Having said that, it is the Singletrack Challenge, which I overlooked a bit in planning my drinking. If feasible, I prefer bottles, and use doubletrack breaks to drink (I would rather not ride one-handed for longer than necessary in singletrack). In this race, I just didn't drink enough and ended up cramping near the end (which NEVER happens to me). I recommend a Camelback.

Thanks for the tip. I went with the Camelbak, and it worked well.

I'm glad I signed up.

Serious was a nice warmup. Radical was absolutely punishing. Cranked was a nice relief. Gnarly finished off my legs. Fun was fortunately short enough for me to survive.

Conditions and weather were good for fall racing.

Had some fun exchanging spots with thedumbopinion a few times.

Chili was just what I needed at the end.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdgirl View Post

I remember that year...that was in the good old days, when you would chick me regularly
    Strava made me do it....

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    I remember that year...that was in the good old days, when you would chick me regularly
    is that you race report rookie?
    Signature

mtbr member
    Here is my race report: I forgot how much I hate muddy races. And consequently I forgot my mud skills at home.

The weather was great and the whole atmosphere was friendly and relaxed. I am glad I raced, but I probably should have gone for the full 50 km. Everybody told me that Radical and Gnarly we're not muddy at all. I even managed to go off course on Cranked, not that it mattered one bit.

But I have to say that I had a great season (especially in the 8 hour series) and managed to stay injury free, which is the best part.
    My rides:
    KHS Team 29
    Pake French 75 track

Lemmy Rules!
    A good way to end the season, especially as I thought I was done after breaking my hand Sept 14. Oddly the broken hand was not an issue other than causing me I dial it back a bit in the single track for fear of crashing and reinjuring it. Still I had a great day and managed to pull off 6th, and stay within a couple of minutes of Serious (who is a lot faster than his posts might lead one to believe). Found myself wishing I had signed up for the 50 at the end....
    Strava made me do it....

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    A good way to end the season, especially as I thought I was done after breaking my hand Sept 14. Oddly the broken hand was not an issue other than causing me I dial it back a bit in the single track for fear of crashing and reinjuring it. Still I had a great day and managed to pull off 6th, and stay within a couple of minutes of Serious (who is a lot faster than his posts might lead one to believe). Found myself wishing I had signed up for the 50 at the end....
    Well, done.
    If you hurt in your efforts and suffer painful dings. Then you are doing it right.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by serious View Post
    Here is my race report: I forgot how much I hate muddy races. And consequently I forgot my mud skills at home.
    Though I felt the course was actually in really good shape for mid October, I witnessed at least half a dozen crashes. Mostly non-catastrophic events of the bike sliding out from underneath the rider. It happened twice immediately after a rider passed me. Serves them right, haha! Another was an unexpected pedal strike on a stump.

A slow speed is a safe speed, and using that approach, I was able to avoid crashing.

Shorthills Cycling Club