Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hardwood 50k

All my faucets is Moen.

Hardwood 50k

Hardwood 50km SingleTrack Challenge

Imagine a course of 50 km or 24 km on dedicated Mountain Bike Trails, and never ride the same single track twice! No road crossings, gravel road, or other traffic to worry about. Race all of Ontario's favorite MTB trails in one day.

Fun, Cranked, Serious, Gnarly, Radical

Ride it Solo (can you ride it all?), or Tag Team (partner up with a friend and take turns!)
    This race is so fun. Who's planning on attending?
    I'll be doing the 50k solo singlespeed. Riding, not racing. Just a fun day on the trails at Hardwood.

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    I did it for the first time last year and had a great time. Even won a Jamis! Sweet.
    Lessons learned:
    - if you want to go a swoopy pace in the first 20km of singletrack, you have to kill yourself to get near the front (not many passing opportunities)
    - this is one race where a Camelback would have served me well. Not many good doubletrack drinking opportunities and I ended up cramping, which NEVER happens to me.

Not going this year though...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I am passing on this one this year.
    Thinking the Tour de King will be my last race of the season.

mtbr member
    I plan to do the race (solo singlespeed, of course). Hopefully life won't cheat me out of it.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

Lemmy Rules!
    It's a great ride. I'm torn between it and cyclocross Toronto...
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    Do both. Toronto cyclocross runs on both the 15th & 16th. The Sunday course is usually the better one too.
    Last edited by aerius; 10-02-2011 at 10:01 AM.

2WD
    Rides like a girl
    Doing the 50k! Should be interesting since I have not done a whole heck of a lot this year where riding is concerned!!

mtbr member
    is this race more just for like-to cycle guys?
    And one more question: will flat tires work well there?))

No. Just No. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilfoo View Post
    I'm sure there will be guys and gals.

Have you ever ridden the Hardwood Hills trails before? Or is there somewhere else you usually ride?

Are you referring to the tread type of the tires (knobby or smooth)

Lemmy Rules!
    It's a pretty challenging race - expect to spend upwards of 3 hours on the bike if you are riding it solo. Some of the trails (the Radical trail in particular) are pretty advanced. However, if you are reasonably fit it is generally a pretty decent ride.

In terms of tires, hardwood is drains pretty well after rain so unless there is a monsoon the week before the race you should be OK with whatever tire you were running on the trails this summer. I recommend you put air in them, though.
    Strava made me do it....

sock puppet

this event is best suited

for weight weenie sausage suit types and definAtely clipless tires.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    I'm sure there will be guys and gals.

Have you ever ridden the Hardwood Hills trails before? Or is there somewhere else you usually ride?
    I haven't ever been to harwood, and in place where I am from I rode on wood trails, so I didn't need a special park for riding.

Are you referring to the tread type of the tires (knobby or smooth)
    haha)) sorry, I said flat tires but didn't mean it! I was talking about slick tires! It would be definitily hard to ride 50 km on flat tires!

if you are reasonably fit it is generally a pretty decent ride.
    I am fit... I am affraid that my bike is not... may be I should choose open challenge than, being given also that on the day of race I will have to ride from Barrie to Hardwood on bike also!

but thanks for the info, now I know that slick tires might suit well for the race!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    for weight weenie sausage suit types and definAtely clipless tires.
    mmm ok, I don't know what does "weenie sausage" and "clipless" tires mean so could you give me a couple of links for example, I should have known it, but not sure with terms...

namagomi
    I am fit... I am affraid that my bike is not... may be I should choose open challenge than, being given also that on the day of race I will have to ride from Barrie to Hardwood on bike also!

but thanks for the info, now I know that slick tires might suit well for the race!
    You should stop by one of the shops in Barrie and see if they can help get you ready. It might cost $$ though. I don't think slick tires will be the best for the course at hardwood, but you can probably do it. Slick tires are probably good for riding over to hardwood though.

If you're riding in from Barrie(and back) maybe pick the Open category since it sounds like this is your first practice mtb "race"

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Perhaps you could car pool with someone heading to Hardwood for the event. This way you can save your energy for the ride there, and not dodge the crazies riding to and from there. I am not sure if slick tires are going to be a problem on fallen leaves, but then what tires are good for that condition? I rode there over a week ago and Serious, Cranked, and Fun were starting to get covered with leaf litter. Some amount of knobs on the tires would help when climbing the snowmobile track, or snow fence covered inclines for traction, though a rider with skills better than myself would likely have little issues with that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik View Post
    You should stop by one of the shops in Barrie and see if they can help get you ready. It might cost $$ though. I don't think slick tires will be the best for the course at hardwood, but you can probably do it. Slick tires are probably good for riding over to hardwood though.

If you're riding in from Barrie(and back) maybe pick the Open category since it sounds like this is your first practice mtb "race"
    it is not my first mrb race....but it is a first mtb race in Canada... in Russia it was ok on slick tires, I mean I could manage with dirt and rocks even with slick tires (it was fun hehe), but you are right, when tehre are a lot of leaves on trails, may be I should use more agressive tires..

Thanks guys!

P.S. you actually discourage me to participate=)) may be I will just come to see the race

mtbr member

I'm planning to do this,if....

...the weather will cooperate.

After the TdK I don't want to ride 3+ hours if the temperature dips below +10.

Sounds like I'm a wuss but as my last race of the season I'd like to keep it fun.

I hope the weather will be good to us....

I Strava Hamburgers
    On the fence for this one.

It'd be a totally casual ride for me, completely for giggles and beer.
    My EBB so loud
    I'm mashing...

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    you actually discourage me to participate=)) may be I will just come to see the race
    It is a super fun race and a great way to see everything (almost) that Hardwood has to offer. There are several loops that come back to the main chalet, so if you decide you're overwhelmed or have had enough, it's really easy to quit. Good luck!

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    mmm ok, I don't know what does "weenie sausage" and "clipless" tires mean so could you give me a couple of links for example, I should have known it, but not sure with terms...
    Weenie Sausage... people who really shouldn't be wearing a lycra skin suit in public.

namagomi
    it is not my first mrb race....but it is a first mtb race in Canada... in Russia it was ok on slick tires, I mean I could manage with dirt and rocks even with slick tires (it was fun hehe), but you are right, when tehre are a lot of leaves on trails, may be I should use more agressive tires..

Thanks guys!

P.S. you actually discourage me to participate=)) may be I will just come to see the race
    Well, you explained your bicycle may be in bad shape and not have good tires... I had no idea about your ability so it is only fair to warn you.

If you've done other races then you know what to expect and i don't think the open category will be too competitive. If you get there and feel like another 25k definitely don't sit on the sidelines with your bicycle. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Thanks guys!

I have actually heard them use leaf blowers in the past on some of the trails during autumn. So don't let the leaf litter discourage you. Also I don't think that the trees have as many leaves as in the past, as the caterpillars ate quite a lot of them. Anyone who raced at the Canada Cup in June will likely remember all the caterpillars falling and hanging around during the race. I lost track of how many landed on me when I was there as a course marshall.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    Do all three, Saturday cx race under the lights, Sunday morning at HH, then back down for the Sunday cx races that don't start till noon. Though you'd need to be in the last start Sunday afternoon to make it work.

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by swabag View Post
    Do all three, Saturday cx race under the lights, Sunday morning at HH, then back down for the Sunday cx races that don't start till noon. Though you'd need to be in the last start Sunday afternoon to make it work.
    Interesting....
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    swabag: Do all three, Saturday cx race under the lights, Sunday morning at HH, then back down for the Sunday cx races that don't start till noon. Though you'd need to be in the last start Sunday afternoon to make it work.

Sure, 3 races in less than 24 hours makes perfect sense ...
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast