Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Happy b-day BCD

sock puppet

Happy b-day BCD

May biking gods give you many more years of health so that we enjoy your company, pics and stories.

Cheers!
    Signature

Muskoka

Thanks Oggie!!...

I'm getting many comments on facebook about me enjoying my special day out playing in the snow...skiing, fatbiking etc My reality is coming downstairs this morning to find my son has left my favourite ceramic lined skillet on the stove, oil in the pan set on high with burner red hot, completely destroying the pan and filling the entire main floor with smoke!! Could of died on my birthday!! The rest of my special day is fun things like vacuuming and washing floors then going up to dad's (he's 92 in April)to finally clear away 3 days of heavy snow fall, after that late afternoon cooking for home and the pot luck lunch at work tomorrow!!! Yup...all fun birthday lol!!! But I WILL get in an hour of 'shoeing with Blue in the evening ....thank you Blue!!

Happy winter everyone! Dress for it, then get out and enjoy!!!
    http://picasaweb.google.com/BlackCanoeDog
    2011 Rocky Mountain Altitude 70 RSL
    2015 RSD Mayor...loves the white stuff!

Nice day for a ride.....
    Have a good one BCD!

mtbr member
    Happy Birthday. Hope you get a nice bottle of something to soothe the nerves. it can only get better from here.
    Burnt Norton

mtbr member
    Happy Birthday BCD!! Keep livin' the dream and posting pics for the rest of us!

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by secret agent View Post
    Happy Birthday. Hope you get a nice bottle of something to soothe the nerves. it can only get better from here.
    Thanks to all and yes!!! Going shoeing tonight, then when we get back I like to relax with a mug of coffee topped up with a good shot of 40 Creek Cream...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanoeDog View Post
    Thanks to all and yes!!! Going shoeing tonight, then when we get back I like to relax with a mug of coffee topped up with a good shot of 40 Creek Cream...
    Put an extra shot in for me! Happy Happy Birthday!!!

Lemmy Rules!
    BCD...you are living the life! Have a great birthday!!!
    Strava made me do it....

snowbound
    Jan 2005
    Happy Birthday BCD! That looks like the perfect way to finish off the day!

mtbr member
    We seem to whine more as we get old...er, Happy Birthday Bert! Great night for snow shoeing.

Evil Jr.
    BCD, this one's on me. Enjoy (and redeem in person any time you happen to be through Dundas)!

Happy b-day BCD-dsc08654.jpg
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by Near north View Post
    We seem to whine more as we get old...er, Happy Birthday Bert! Great night for snow shoeing.
    Thanks to everyone for the kind wishes!!! ..and Mark, it is a great night for shoeing! Speaking of which, I know that you have been an avid snow shoer for years, but I have always overlooked the sport because I also love to ski and shoeing never appealed as much. But dogs aren't welcome on groomed ski trails, and since we got Blue I take him out for an hour every evening regardless of weather. I don't care much for "town walks", preferring the solitude and natural setting of hiking trails instead. There is a great one within a few minutes walk of the house but since no one but us uses it, to keep it open during the winter I bought snow shoes last year. I was very surprised how often I used them and how much I enjoyed it... and its perfect for Blue! Shoed it 3-4 times a week all last winter, and been out 3 times already in the past 4 days! No "gear up" required, just grab the shoes and go,... a great way to enjoy winter and nature, and also a fantastic workout!

Cheers! BCD
    Last edited by BlackCanoeDog; 01-08-2014 at 07:20 AM.

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    BCD, this one's on me. Enjoy (and redeem in person any time you happen to be through Dundas)!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC08654.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	246.8 KB 
ID:	855114
    Thanks GM, I am embarrassed to say that I still have a large bottle of Muskoka Brewery's Double Chocolate Cranberry Stout that I bought just before LAST Christmas, intending to share it with my Dad...which somehow didn't happen and then somehow it was forgotten about!! Wondering if it is still good???...one way to find out I suppose...uncork it this Christmas

Lemmy Rules!
    What exactly is that? It looks delicious. BTW I am off to crack open a bottle of 8wired Istout...my new winter beer of choice.
    Strava made me do it....

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    BCD...you are living the life! Have a great birthday!!!
    Well people I'm not so sure about me, but I do know my dog Blue lives the life!! Here he is giving me the sheepish laugh because he's
    on my bed but knows he's not supposed to be!!...lol

Merry Christmas to everyone from Blue and I

mtbr member
    Is that a Taboo trail?

I have the same thing here at my house, a trail starts 50ft. from my driveway no cars to dodge and miles of trail.

Do you snowshoe the Hardy Lake trail? It' a favorite for me.

mtbr member
    My wife will not get out on a bike in the winter (not that she will get out that much in the summer) and we were looking at XC skiing, but I think shoeing will be a great alternative. We have places nearby that would work great and the expense is minimal (compared to carbon fat bikes). She loves to swim and do some running in the summer, but feels cooped up in the winter and does many miles in the mall otherwise, which turns out to be a very costly past time though no special gear is necessarily needed. I may soon be doing some of that as well.
    Burnt Norton

Muskoka
    Is that a Taboo trail?

I have the same thing here at my house, a trail starts 50ft. from my driveway no cars to dodge and miles of trail.

Do you snowshoe the Hardy Lake trail? It' a favorite for me.
    No, this is NW end of Gull Lake. I have not shoed Hardy but I know the lake and trails well via canoe and mtbike. From what I'm told one rarely needs the snowshoes in there because the trails are well used and packed.
    Last edited by BlackCanoeDog; 12-16-2013 at 02:13 PM.

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by secret agent View Post
    She loves to swim and do some running in the summer, but feel cooped up in the winter and does many miles in the mall otherwise, which turns out to be a very costly past time though no special gear is necessarily needed. I may soon be doing some of that as well.
    Yup, credit card is all you need for mall cruisin'...lol! I think snowshoeing is perfect for her if you have the right location, for all the reasons I gave above.

mtbr member
    You're right the trails there get packed down pretty good and many people will just wear hiking boots.

Clarence and I did the trail that goes north to lake Muskoka it was fresh and deep over the knees. It took longer than we thought and we wished we had taken lunch. But a good hike and we wondered if you had rode it? It was also hilly looked like it might be fun.

mtbr member
    Hey they do make carbon fibre snowshoes .
    The guys in the bike group go sorta like the Sunday morning rides and we run some of it not all. I have a few friends that like to run most of the time, an exhausting workout. My wife and I go and we run a bit and walk a lot. My wife's running group lets me take them a few times a year. And both of my daughters snowshoe with me and sometimes bring their boyfriends and we just wander. It's always enjoyable to me just like biking.

Muskoka
    You're right the trails there get packed down pretty good and many people will just wear hiking boots.

Clarence and I did the trail that goes north to lake Muskoka it was fresh and deep over the knees. It took longer than we thought and we wished we had taken lunch. But a good hike and we wondered if you had rode it? It was also hilly looked like it might be fun.
    If its the trail I think you mean it goes off the east end of the parking lot and was closed this year, an out and back...not a loop. Yes I rode it 2012 or 2011 and yes its brutal on a bike, very sketchy and I would never ride it again. In other words ya, you would love it!!

ps - I think it was closed because it was sketchy in places even for hiking

mtbr member
    Cheers BCD! Thanks for showing us around Torrance Barrens last summer... if you have a sweet tooth I'm sure you've tasted this stuff before, but it's excellent chilled or cut with soda water for a truly Canadian "Ginger Ale"

also known as Plaid Shirt Guy...

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by VR6ix View Post
    Cheers BCD! Thanks for showing us around Torrance Barrens last summer... if you have a sweet tooth I'm sure you've tasted this stuff before, but it's excellent chilled or cut with soda water for a truly Canadian "Ginger Ale"

Now that DOES look yummy, and I love maple syrup! Thanks for the BD wishes, it's always fun to show visitors around the local trails

Evil Jr.
    Now that DOES look yummy, and I love maple syrup! Thanks for the BD wishes, it's always fun to show visitors around the local trails
    It's great. I bought a bottle of it on our trip to Gaspé. It really took the chill out of those foggy evenings!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast