mtbr member

Hamilton Region Super MTB

Hi Everyone

I'm trying to link up an 'epic' ride in the Hamilton area. (100+ km of trail, path, some road) I know it possible, so I'm hoping to get some other locals involved to get all the nitty gritty details. If you have any contributions, let me know.

I live on the mountain. Starting at the W5, head down the Bruce Trail. Cross Beckett drive. Ride the trails till the rail trail. Up escarpment, ride in Iriqous Heights. Over the 403, down Filman, back onto Wilson. Up Wilson till the old mill, dart into Dundas Valley system. Eventually head around the headwaters trail and return to the train station. Hit up the exercise trail.............from here I'm looking for trails, I know there are some that might eventually hit back up with the waterdown trails at Hwy 6. Ride through waterdown until past Kerns road and link up with Brant St area. Downtown to the waterfront trail from Burlington to Hamilton. In Hamilton, back into the Red Hill Creek system and back up to Kings Forest Trails. Back down the other rail trail that runs up west to east and the associated small bit of single track. Essentially below where you started.

So best way to link up Dundas valley and waterdown......anything else I've missed?

Sorry if this is jibberish to non locals.

NormalNorm
    I've done this type of ride before. I also live on the Mountain. A really good section of trail is out on the Stoney Creek mountain. From Dewitt to Red Hill is great riding. I used to ride from Iroquois Heights to the Wentworth stairs to Red Hill to Dewitt and back. If i remember right its about 3-4ish hr type ride. Very punishing....Where on the mountain are you located?

mtbr member
    I'm east Mountain. Gage/Fennell Area.

Where is the riding from Dewitt to Red Hill? I knew there was stuff out that way, but could never find a trail leading out from the Red Hill Creek area. Do you need to hit some streets then it starts back up again?

NormalNorm
    Funny,I live at Gage and Fennell too. I live on Brucedale and 36th.

I use to cross the upper part of Mt. Albion and just follow the trail to Greenhill/Felkers Falls. From there you head down the mountain and make a right about 2/3rds of the way down. Then from there you just keep going east to Dewitt(you do have to cross over the railway tracks once at Green mt. road). Excellent ride.

Since the Expressway was put in, i have used stone church to get there. I have heard you can now go under the Expressway to get to the trail. Going to have to check that one out though....

mtbr member
    Queensdale and East 41st.

I think I have an idea of where you are talking about, but have never explored in that direction (beyond Mt Albion). We'll have to set up a ride when the snow melts so I can learn some new areas within riding distance.

Speedhub doc.

I'd be up for a epic ride

I'd be up a epic ride in the Ham area, Though I'm not from the area, I usually somehow find my way up there riding waterdown trails at least 3 x a year (in the summer), Fun place to ridewith the big squishy bike.

might hav eto organize a mtbr group ride in the area come spring/summer time
    V.
    Vern Dog the Bike Guy

GAME ON!
    i'd be up for trying that perhaps. would depend on the skill level of others. central mountain represent!
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

bi-winning
    A 100km ride? That sounds very epic indeed. Do you intend to do it solo, or with company?

If the second, in the event that I'm available, I'd be interested in joining you for at least part of the ride. I doubt my ability to keep up for 100km though. I would not want to slow you down. You could probably gather a small crowd. There are a handful of guys here planning to do the Crank the Shield race, who would probably be looking to get a few long rides under their belt.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    I expect that come May, once the trails (especially waterdown) are suitable, I will post this as an MTBR ride.

I'm expecting 100+ km, 6+ hours and 8+ climbs of the escarpment (so ~800m or 3000ft of climbing). I know, not spectacular, but for our region, not bad. Good transrockies or solo 8 hour training for those in the region doing these (as am I).

Since the route starts and ends at approximately my house, anyone who won't later break into my house is welcome back for beers and BBQ afterwards. (Thought if you want to know where I live, you'll have to ride the entire route first).

It won't be singletrack heaven, but I expect 40 km of solid mtb trails, 40 km of rail trail/double track and 20 km of road, smooth path.

Anyone who is interested should expect to be able to ride this distance/time self supported and without any major stops (a couple at 10 - 15 minutes). Edit: In my experience, anyone who can ride 2+ hours at a descent pace (little to no stopping), with proper nutrition could easily accomplish this. Likely, unless it's an organized race, the primary goal will be to get out and do an 'epic' ride, not for people to set land speed records.

NormalNorm
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor
    is welcome back for beers and BBQ afterwards.
    I could stagger home

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by norm
    I could stagger home
    So, it seems I've found another MTB'r in my neighbourhood who enjoys a good a ride and 'carb loading' afterwards. Yeah!

RJK. I don't want give the expression this will be an all out blast fest. 100km is not that difficult (especially if <50% is single track) as long as you are prepared for a days worth of riding. I'm not the fastest guy and given the 'average' mountain biker in the region, this wouldn't be a congregation of elite level riders. I see this as a fun adventure that any semi-serious cyclist is capable of completing with a little determination and some PB&J in their back pocket.

bi-winning
    So, it seems I've found another MTB'r in my neighbourhood who enjoys a good a ride and 'carb loading' afterwards. Yeah!

RJK. I don't want give the expression this will be an all out blast fest. 100km is not that difficult (especially if <50% is single track) as long as you are prepared for a days worth of riding. I'm not the fastest guy and given the 'average' mountain biker in the region, this wouldn't be a congregation of elite level riders. I see this as a fun adventure that any semi-serious cyclist is capable of completing with a little determination and some PB&J in their back pocket.
    Like I said, if I can make it, I'd be willing to give it a try.

The longest ride I have ever done without significant breaks was the Paris to Ancaster @60km.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

veldrijder
    I'm definitely down for this if my schedule allows. Perfect training for the enduro races I have planned for this year. Beer and BBQ after sounds great too

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I am interested. I am doing a 24 hour race at the end of June and if this is in late may/ beginning of June it would be perfect and fit in with my training.

Space for rent...
    is welcome back for beers and BBQ afterwards.
    Is it ok NOT to do the ride and just show up for the recovery portion?
    It's only pain......

mtbr member
    I'm in for most if not all of the ride. I'd like to avoid the Lakefront trail if possible, (I ride it every day to work), but the options are limited.
    I'm in the east end near Red Hill (Parkdale & King), maybe I could host a beer stop, it'd make the rest of the ride a little more interesting!!!

Speedhub doc.

Maybe 24 weekend?

Might be able a tie this into the may 24 weekend, or a weekend were there isn't a mtb/road race event, to maybe get more riders out, should be able to get some from the London area to join in.

We did a similiar thing back in May on the Long weekend, 4~6 hours epic riding, that was before London became pretty much "antibiking" in the trails. with the exception of Boler and fanshawe.

C'mon spring!!
    Vern Dog the Bike Guy

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    If you are interested in spending more time in Dundas Valley, there are a couple of other major loops that would add KMs to the overall ride, and keep the amount of trail riding up, and possibly lower the amount of road/path riding that would need to be done to get the 100 kms wanted in. There is one trail that I'm looking forward to trying this year that loops off of the main trail at approx. the parking lot that is the first one off of Sulphur Springs, and loops south and west from there. I've got the topo map of Dundas Valley, and looks like some interesting sections there for sure. I've never hiked on it before, so have no clue as to the suitability for riding, nor how busy it would be, but I'd guess that there aren't many that do use the trail, so it might be a good option. I'll see if I can dig out the map to give you guys a better heads up as to it's location.

Interesting too that I just moved from 36th and Fennell myself...wow, what a hotbed of MTB riders eh? hehe... now just off of Stone Church between Wentworth and Wellington.

Good luck with the ride gents, I'd love to join but I"m way too slow for a 100k ride, would probably take me 6-8 hours at least...if I could go that long Looking forward to see how it goes though!

Cheers mates,

Tim

GAME ON!
    you're close to me. i'm off wellington between mohawk and limeridge
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

bi-winning
    Is this still happening? I can see no other time to do it other than maybe this weekend. The 8 hour is on the 24th, and there are races on the first three weekends of June.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Hmm.....thanks for the reminder. I'll post another thread.