mtbr member

Hamilton Endurance Ride - July 11th

EDIT: Due to many requests, ride is now SUNDAY July 12. Same time, same place.

Back by popular demand, we are going to try for round 4 of the hamilton endurance ride on July 12th. No OCUP's, no marathon series, no relay races, no excuses not to come out. Here's the previous attempts. Serious rain has played a role in all of them so far, here's hoping.

Round 1:

Hamilton Endurance Ride - Sat May 17

Round 2:

Hamilton Endurance Ride - July 19 - Round 2

The skinny

Where: We meet in the Metro Grocery store parking lot, 9:00 am, Saturday July 11th. This is at the corner of Upper Gage and Fennell in Hamilton.

What to expect: I'm brining in more trail for your dollar (which is $0, good deal). I'll be mixing this up, expect the first 30-40km to be completely different. If all goes well, we'll be riding ~ 100 km and climbing ~ 1300 m. The pace will be steady, but not blistering with a couple stops. We'll likely finish in ~ 7-8 hrs given normal group dynamics. We'll try to break for water at ~2.5 hours and then hit a store at ~ 5 hrs. However, be prepared for at least 3 hours of self supported riding.

The route: We'll be riding sections of singletrack connected by rail trail, double track, paved waterfront trail and some road.

Post ride: I'll provide some eats and treats (aka BBQ, chips, pasta salad and BEER) if you can make it to the end. (We won't strand anyone, don't worry)

If you have an questions, fire away.
    Last edited by CptSydor; 07-06-2009 at 05:00 AM.

veldrijder
    You know, I am not much for these long rides, but the good company that came with the one last summer has me thinking I'd be silly not to join. Here's hoping school/work doesn't pile up too much in the next week...

bi-winning
    Bah, I usually work Saturdays. I'll look into it.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    gotta see what is on the go for next Saturday but i will put myself in as a maybe.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I don't think I have anything plan for next Saturday. I will update later on this week

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Hey Jeff, would Sunday work instead of Saturday. It would just work better for me + Ryan doesn't work on Sunday. Just an idea...

mtbr member
    Sunday is possible for me. If that works better for people we can make it happen.

mtbr member

Sunday??

I will double-check to see if I can adjust my schedule, but I think I currently have a conflict for Saturday. Sunday (12th) would be most excellent if that is doable. Here's hoping Sunday gets the group nod, but I'll try to be there either way.

Any rough outlines on the percentages for road/gravel/double-/single-track we may expect?

mtbr member
    If it ends up being sunday I will more then likely join, I guess it also depends if the new whip shows up in time.

mtbr member
    Alright. Since many people are requesting, I have no problems. Ride is now officially on for Sunday July 12th. 9:00, same meeting place.

bi-winning
    Ok, I think that will work better for me. I should be there for another round.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I am also in. Hope I get my Brain shock back by then. If not I will be riding my freeride bike and try to keep up. See you all there

All my faucets is Moen.
    I wanted to do one of these last year with you guys but the distance was to much for me then. I think I can handle it now since my fitness is way better then last year.

I'm going to try and make it out, I'll pack a map just in case things turn south and I'll ride back solo or take a short cut.

Should we bring any treats for the BBQ? Yes I think we should.

mtbr member
    I'm in. Order me a medium casket. Grey would match my bike well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm in, can I bring others along? I'll be riding a more of a xc bike instead of the big dh bike
    Cheers
    Verndog

mtbr member
    Guests are always welcome. The more people, the more the suffering is dispersed?

Lukey, is the coffin to drag behind you to give the rest of use a chance to keep up? Even if you are doing an epic the day before.

Finally, unless you have dietary restrictions, I'll just be throwing some simple burgers and sausage on the BBQ, nothing special, nor overly expensive, so I wouldn't worry about leaving it in your car all day.

mtbr member
    I'll try my best to make it. Hopefully the weather cooperates.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor
    Lukey, is the coffin to drag behind you to give the rest of use a chance to keep up? Even if you are doing an epic the day before.
    That thing? That's my lunchbox.

mtbr member
    Forecast isn't looking very good for this weekend:

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/caon0289

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by macming
    Forecast isn't looking very good for this weekend:

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/caon0289

Well, I'll be so bold as to say, I can't be much worse than the past 2 times we've tried and that only made us stronger and hungrier.

I'll start seriously looking at the forecast Friday night. If it looks completely horrible we can cancel or re-route day of to prevent suffering and trail damage.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    i'm in

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Ahhh... nice long ride - good stuff! Throwing any ski hill ascents in the route? Jeff, there better not be any hike-a-bike!!! See you all sunday!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Looking forward to Sunday. So far the weather look good and I should get my shock back today. I just "jinxes" everything so my shock will get lost in the mail and it will snow on Sunday. See you all there anyway. Jeff, I will bring some beer and let us know if you need anything else.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcr1
    Looking forward to Sunday. So far the weather look good and I should get my shock back today. I just "jinxes" everything so my shock will get lost in the mail and it will snow on Sunday. See you all there anyway. Jeff, I will bring some beer and let us know if you need anything else.

I didn't want to be the one to say it, but yeah, weather looks great right now. Here's hoping nothing happens to your shock JC.

Rode close to half the route last night and will ride the other half today. Managed to get two of the best sections of singletrack in the area brought into the ride. One is tight, fast, flowy and the other nice and technical. Something for everyone! Oh yeah, I've thrown in a couple more climbs.

For complete giggles, there will also be two jersey's available during the ride. I have identified 4 climbs and 4 sprints where we can have a little competition (ie. safe) for those who wish. 3, 2 and 1 point will be available for the first 3 people 'across the line'. Person with the highest point total will be crowned king of the mountains or(and?) the top sprinter. There will be a bike related prize for each.

Looking forward to Sunday.

All my faucets is Moen.
    For complete giggles, there will also be two jersey's available during the ride. I have identified 4 climbs and 4 sprints where we can have a little competition (ie. safe) for those who wish. 3, 2 and 1 point will be available for the first 3 people 'across the line'. Person with the highest point total will be crowned king of the mountains or(and?) the top sprinter.
    Awesome! I'll be there for sure.

bi-winning

For complete giggles, there will also be two jersey's available during the ride. I have identified 4 climbs and 4 sprints where we can have a little competition (ie. safe) for those who wish. 3, 2 and 1 point will be available for the first 3 people 'across the line'. Person with the highest point total will be crowned king of the mountains or(and?) the top sprinter. There will be a bike related prize for each.

Looking forward to Sunday.
    Haha, that's wicked.

veldrijder
    As of right now I am without a fork, but that may change later today... so I'm still a maybe

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoote
    As of right now I am without a fork, but that may change later today... so I'm still a maybe
    What happened to your fork?

All my faucets is Moen.
    I have an extra 26" fork you could borrow. needs the crown thingy on it though and it sucks. I guess you're talking about your True North 29 though, right?

veldrijder
    Yup, the 29er. I managed to crack the steertube (steel!) which is kind of amazing. Sounds like I'll be able to borrow a fork in the meantime, so I may be good to go afterall.

mtbr member
    Alright boys. Just got in from a little more scouting. Looks like I can't re-route (or add) as much as I would like. Me riding solo with all the extra trail, no breaks except to fill bottles a couple times (<5 min) and I was looking at close to 8 hours over the past couple days.
    I've still go some new stuff planned, but we'll be sticking to a ride more similar to last year.
    On the good news, I think I can route out a 100 miler if any one wants in!

mtbr member

Latecomer meeting point?

OK...so my bud wants to do the ride. He needs to meet us mid-route as he can't get to the starting point by 9AM. Could you suggest a latecomer meeting point that we would be passing by at around 10 or 10:30AM? Ie., trailhead, parking lot, road crossing or someplace he could wait for us along the route?

Thanks, looking forward to the ride!

mtbr member
    Hey Luke

I've got the route passing by Train station on the rail trail in Dundas Valley twice. I would guess we'll be coming through there at 10:15-10:30, then 30 minutes later. Might be a good spot as we'll come through twice. (First time from the exercise trail, second time coming from the west on the rail trail).

mtbr member
    Hey Luke

I've got the route passing by Train station on the rail trail in Dundas Valley twice. I would guess we'll be coming through there at 10:15-10:30, then 30 minutes later. Might be a good spot as we'll come through twice. (First time from the exercise trail, second time coming from the west on the rail trail).
    Great! That should be a perfect place for him to park and wait around for us and we should be able to find each other easily.

As for the aforementioned 100-miler route...I think I will know exactly how interested I am at about 5PM Sunday.

veldrijder
    Alright, the bike is good to go so here's hoping my legs are too. The route sounds great, and is sure to be a challenge if it's anything like last year. I'm bringing a buddy along, so add 2 to the count.

Jeff, looking back at photos from last year I noticed you were the only one without a camelback. I normally don't use one (really dislike the feeling) and am planning on using bottles. Do you think 2 or 3 bottles should be good between stops?

mtbr member
    Jeff, looking back at photos from last year I noticed you were the only one without a camelback. I normally don't use one (really dislike the feeling) and am planning on using bottles. Do you think 2 or 3 bottles should be good between stops?

Jeff, I know the feeling, not a big fan of camelbacks. I'd suggest three bottles, which is what I always bring on my rides longer than 1.5 hours. I'm a heavy sweater however. We'll likely not go more than 2 hours without a fountain, however, you never know if you, or maybe someone else might need it.

veldrijder
    Right on. 2 large bottles on my frame and a 500 mL in my jersey should do it. With hydration planned, it's on to food...

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Hey Jeff M, why are you planning food and hydration? If it's anything like the last ride don't waste your money it's all coming out anyway.

As for the route, I am up for anything. Everybody, make sure you come prepare so you don't run out of water. Hope to ride more Waterdown trail this year. It should be a great day, can't wait to get back on my 29er after 3 weeks off. Gotta go set up the new brain now

mtbr member
    Jeff, there might be some banana left from last year! (JCR beat me to that one)

FYI to everyone. replenishing food will likely only occur once at a convenience store. Selections of high performance foods might be minimal and potentially harmful if you haven't done much eating at 4-5 hours of tough ride. Make sure you are well equipped with a good 1000 cal of food that you are confident you can stomach.

We are looking at a pretty serious ride here. 11 - 15 people. Not to mention good weather. This is going to be fun!

JCR
    RKJ
    JMoote + 1
    Lukey + 1
    Verndog + 1 (or more)
    Thedumbopinion
    Kakapoopoo
    beereppc
    OrbeaAbsalon

maybe..
    Kaikara
    Macming

mtbr member
    Count me in... Anybody need a lift to the hammer from st.kitts area ??? Jeff, J.C.???

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Hey Derek, I will need a ride if possible. The wife and kids are going up to the cottage so I am all alone. I will FB you my address.

veldrijder
    Hey, at least a third of us on 29ers too - sweet

Don't worry guys, I will be bringing a few bananas, and keeping them inside this time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    jmoote, I was just looking at your name subheading, are you dutch/belgian by any chance?

veldrijder
    Nope, just a cyclocross nut. Belgium is where it's at, from October to February

bi-winning
    My uncle just called and said they have golf ball sized hail in Ancaster. It seems re-scheduling for Sunday was probably a good idea.

The trails might be a little wet tomorrow still, but none the less, I'm really excited for the ride.

veldrijder
    There was definitely some heavy precipitation this morning, but it's had all day to dry up. I suspect conditions will be fine, with the odd wet spot. It has to be better than previous attempts which included heavy rain throughout part of the ride.

I too am looking forward to the ride - see you folks at 0900

mtbr Decade+
    Any survivors?

veldrijder
    hahah, well, my wheel is a non-survivor, that's for sure.

Thanks so much to Luke and the bunch for helping get it rolling again, and for waiting. Apologies to Jeff for taking you out. Your directions were good enough to get us back without getting lost and with minimal hassle. I am looking forward to the reports and photos from the remainder of the ride.

mtbr member

Garmin data

Great ride, thanks to all.

Here's the ride data:
    LINK

From my house, it was 108km, 3700 vertical feet climbed, about 6 hours moving. Shave off a wee bit if you're measuring from the official start point.

CptSydor laid out an amazing route. Some stuff I've never seen before, and the trails were in great shape despite yesterday's deluge. Great weather. Fantastic group. Photos coming.

mtbr member

Pretty graphs

I made a diorama of the ride, see?

Map:

Elevation profile:

Speed vs. Distance:

mtbr member

Photos

mtbr member
    Thanks to everyone one who came out. We started with 14, went down to 13 for a few minutes, then ended with 12 after jmoote decided he didn't like his Stan's/No tubes wheels.

We didn't quite ride as long as we would have liked, but with 3 flats and untacoing a rim, we had to cut out some riding. However, with me adding some riding in Dundas Valley, general opinion is that we rode 93 km and would have done close to 120 km if we had done everything.

And for Lukey to say he saw new trail, I must have designed a really good route and taken us off the beaten path.

Finally, jmoote. While sitting around having a couple beers, we added to our Jeff list. We apologize you weren't there to defend yourself, and we still love you...

moote's peak - Top of the headwaters trail in Dundas valley where Jeff expelled his banana last year. This year, he was leading the race to the top, but got mud in his eye and had to back off?

pull a moote - come into a corner hot and cause 5 person pile up on a gravel road. I'm okay, so are my wheels. Only a little road rash on the elbow, shoulder and ass. Really glad my shorts didn't rip.

mooted your wheel - you'll see pictures in the future.

Lukey took the King of Mountains

From what I can tell, thought I might be distorting things, but I think I got the green jersey with the competition cut short

I think we can all agree however, sprinting the first 1.5 km hill 20 minutes into an 8 hour ride, not the best idea.

JCR takes the prize for best launch, which he landed, then proceeded to not see the next jump and crashed hard. Hope your head it alright.

Good times and it didn't rain!

veldrijder
    Quote Originally Posted by lukey
    Here's the ride data
    Thanks for the data and great pics. Any chance I can have the GPX file? You can email it to jeff DOT moote AT gmail DOT com

I owe you a spoke nipple next time we ride Your knowledge was also much appreciated, as my wrenching skills may be good, but don't usually extend to emergency situations on the trail.

Finally, jmoote. While sitting around having a couple beers, we added to our Jeff list. We apologize you weren't there to defend yourself, and we still love you...

moote's peak - Top of the headwaters trail in Dundas valley where Jeff expelled his banana last year. This year, he was leading the race to the top, but got mud in his eye and had to back off?

pull a moote - come into a corner hot and cause 5 person pile up on a gravel road. I'm okay, so are my wheels. Only a little road rash on the elbow, shoulder and ass. Really glad my shorts didn't rip.

mooted your wheel - you'll see pictures in the future.
    It's ok, I can take it. I'd even say I deserve half of that ribbing, at least for the pileup/wheel. Mud in the eye... well that's just a stupid excuse, but I still passed you and JC after putting the chase back on

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Great ride once again. Thanks for the best lauch award, I am sure hurting today. My thumb and anckle are still fairly swolen (my thumb is completely moote) but it should get better within a few days. Good to see you all and thank Jeff for the after ride BBQ.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I couldn't make it after the ride was moved to sunday (grandmothers birthday). Looks like you had perfect weather and riding in saturday's weather would not have been fun anyways. I did go out for a morning ride though and you guys passed me while I was coming back up the heritage trail. you were moving at a good clip and didn't want to interrupt the flow to say hi.

So when is the next ride going to be?

bi-winning
    Well, I'm not going into work today. I can't walk, due to my ankle. After plowing into JC, apparently I twisted it a little. Did not at all seem like a big deal at the time, but ever since the incident, it has gotten worse and worse.

I'll have some time on my hands today, so I will get pictures and more ramblings up later.

All my faucets is Moen.
    Sorry to hear you mooted you ankle Ryan. Hope your back at it soon. I’m guessing the recovery day will help the legs as well. Look forward to the photo dump later.

Mostly good times, I did not enjoy the long hike-a-bike stair climb, yes it’s a great place to go for a hike but its tougher with a 30lb bike on your shoulder after you’ve ridden 60k. Also that long stretch of single track that was just large/loose rocks that had to be walked was not fun.

Well, now that I got all my complaining out of the way….I had some fun yesterday and a 100k loop is a good way to get introduced to the Hamilton trail network. Thanks again for the tour Jeff and the post race hospitality is greatly appreciated.

The opening trail section was some of the best riding I’ve done this year. It was a lot like St. Catharines but 3x’s as long and with more roots and rocks. It has some great flow. I was bonking a bit in Waterdown and I felt like I couldn’t climb any hills or get any type of rhythm going. I appreciate Jason pacing me through it and everyone waiting for me to catch up. I’m sure that area is normally enjoyable with those wicked downhills.

bi-winning

Photo Dump

bi-winning

bi-winning

bi-winning

I posted most of the pictures here, but you can see the full album HERE.

bi-winning
    Well, ok, time for a rkj__ ride report.

This edition of the ride had a huge turn out. As mentioned, we started with 14 rides, all of whom had a good idea of how to pedal a bicycle. We all met at the metro, and were on our way, only a little behind schedule.

We did not get far at all before we had our first equipment failure of the day. Apparently I still have not learned how to bunny hop a curb. Mix that with low tire pressure, and you get a pinch flat. FAIL. With a little help from Jeff, it was repaired quickly, and we were rolling again... but not for long. Shortly after the first decent on the trail, the group again stopped for a flat repair (no it was not me this time.)

Not long into the ride, Jeff announced the first KOM climb. I was familiar with the climb, as I have done it many times in the past. I thought I would hang at the front, and see if I could put together a finishing sprint. But oh my gosh, people took off as if we were on a 30km ride. I'm not a great sprinter or climber anyways, so after I reached the top of the climb, and realized what it would take to win the little competition, I quickly lost interest, as did several others.

So, it took a while to get the heart rates back down after that one, but we moved forward through some great trails, still keeping a good pace.

A quick stretch on the road, and we dipped into the Dundas Valley for some more trails, and some more climbing. For the next KOM climb I just spun up granny style, and let the stronger riders do their thing at the front. This time, there was no puking at Moote's Peak. Having done a pair of these rides in the past, I knew exactly how hard they were, and how to pace myself.

A little later, we were tearing down a stretch of gravel road, with smiles on our faces. However, I guess Mr. Moote hit a "huge rock" which caused him to lose control, and take out another rider, while a third rider also went down in panic. The bruises and scrapes obtained by the riders involved will heal, but unfortunately, Stan's rims cannot heal themselves. Between the 14 of us, we have enough talent to get the wheel straight enough to clear the frame and roll. No help from outside of our group was required. Directions were given, and our group shrunk by two.

The incident delayed us a bit, but we were not really short on time. So, again, we carried on. Though up until this point, we had made several stops (a few more than planned), we kept our moving speeds pretty high. More great trail, and a few roads to link them together.

A little later, we found ourselves in the Waterdown trail system. For me, these were some of the most enjoyable trails on the ride. Some nice steep sections kept things fun. At the top of a decent, we were warned about some stunts on the left side of the trail. JC proceeded to take a nice drop, and landed it pretty nicely. After that was a nice little jump. It just seemed so perfect, and I saw JC had it lined up, so I decided to commit, and hit it as well.

Unfortunately, as I previously described, JC went down, and I following closely, did not have much time to react after landing. So, JC got knocked around a bit leaving him with a variety of ailments, including a sore shifting thumb. I seemed ok, only a slightly sore ankle, or so it seemed at the time. The ankle got worse and worse, and unfortunately it started to take away from my enjoyment a little.

Riding was easier than walking. The hike a bike up the stairs did not feel great, and was one of the more difficult parts of the ride for me actually.

After crushing some more trail, we arrived at one of our planned rest stops to sock up on fluids and calories. Chips and Gatorade for me please. At this point, I started to have a lot of difficulty walking. Thankfully, we came to the consensus that since we were running a little behind, we would cut out some of the trail that we thought we might ride, and get to the beer and BBQ a little sooner.

It was hard to get riding again too. I was starting to compensate with my left leg, and staying seated a lot more over rough trails - thank you full suspension.

Anyway, I pulled myself to the end, and that was that. Off to Jeff's place for beer and BBQ. Thanks again for being a great host and leader. Overall, it was a pretty good day, and I enjoyed riding with all of you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanx guys, this was a excellent ride, Thanx cptsydor for leading us in the ride, cant till 2010 to do it again
    Verndog

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by VernDog
    Thanx guys, this was a excellent ride, Thanx cptsydor for leading us in the ride, cant till 2010 to do it again
    Verndog
    Hey Verndog, make sure to get the pictures out to your non-MTBR-surfing buddies.

Evil Jr.
    I've done versions of that ride so many times, I can name the exact spot in almost every photo. When you guys crossed Sydenham Street, you would have been mere meters from my house.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I had a very enjoyable day thanks to the great ride leadership as well as a friendly and skiled group of riders for company. I was surprised by how high the pace was and halfway through the ride I started hurting pretty good. However, I managed to hang on for the rest of the ride and was free of both injuries and mechanicals. Nothing like getting crushed to inspire you to get out riding more, as well as destroy any illusions you may have about being reasonably fit! Ill be back on the bike tomorrow, and maybe ill revisit some of the new trails I learned about. Thanks everyone for a great ride, hope the injuries will heal up quickly and that good deals on new rims will be given to those in need.

mtbr member
    I thought that was Vern Dog I spotted in the photos ;-)

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Just got back from the hospital and X-ray on my thumb and ankle came back negative. Did not think it was that bad this morning however as the day went by my right thumb became black purple and about twice is usual size and ankle inflated dramaticaly. The left side of my head is tender but but but I forgot what I was going to say

Another few days of rest and everything should be OK. The doctor just said to use my common sense...the same common sense that got me there???

GAME ON!
    i just noticed this thread today. looks like a lot of fun; wish i could've made it. someone needs to pm me next time, i always find these threads too late.
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by jcr1
    Just got back from the hospital and X-ray on my thumb and ankle came back negative. Did not think it was that bad this morning however as the day went by my right thumb became black purple and about twice is usual size and ankle inflated dramaticaly. The left side of my head is tender but but but I forgot what I was going to say

Another few days of rest and everything should be OK. The doctor just said to use my common sense...the same common sense that got me there???

Ouch. Heal up man.

mtbr member
    RKJ and JCR....sorry to hear about the injuries. Hope they heal up quick.

Read about these rides and no one is going to want to come out with me anymore.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the excellent ride guys, it was a excellent group of people to ride with. It was my first time riding that area and that area has some nice trails. I'm use to the smoooth fast flowing trails of St.Cath. It's nice to get out and ride some tech/rocky/rooty trails. Thanks to Jeff for getting this going again and the post ride BBQ.

Derek

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    i just noticed this thread today. looks like a lot of fun; wish i could've made it. someone needs to pm me next time, i always find these threads too late.
    You don't check the forum every day? You must have a girlfriend or something.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Could anyone tell me from what street we entered the bruce trail leading up to chedoke golf course?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by beereppc
    Could anyone tell me from what street we entered the bruce trail leading up to chedoke golf course?

West Fifth.

Heading out the that area in an hour.

bi-winning
    West Fifth.
    The GPS track luke posted is pretty cool, and might help answer some questions about the route if anybody else has any more.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    The GPS track luke posted is pretty cool, and might help answer some questions about the route if anybody else has any more.
    Thanks, I saw the overall map but somehow missed the link with the marked map. Went back and cut in west 5th with my girlfriend. I really enjoy that piece of trail, the only downside is climbing james mountain road...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by beereppc
    Thanks, I saw the overall map but somehow missed the link with the marked map. Went back and cut in west 5th with my girlfriend. I really enjoy that piece of trail, the only downside is climbing james mountain road...

FYI, if you don't like climbing James Mountain Road for safety reasons, there is another trail that begins at the top of John street and heads up (gravel path, right beside the Clarence access). It hooks up with the barrier separated sidewalk on Claremont drive and brings you right on top of the overpass where you duck under to hit the trail at W5.

If you consider the Rail path that heads up at Ferguson to the Mountain Sports complex and all the singletrack that weaves in and out, eventually connecting to the last climb we did. You can cut entirely through the city with only barely touching streets and getting some sweat singletrack as well.

mtbr member
    So it appears I sustained a cut/or bite on Sunday that became infected. It has started spreading across my bicep and into my arm put. Can I put that down on the list of casualties?

All my faucets is Moen.
    So it appears I sustained a cut/or bite on Sunday that became infected. It has started spreading across my bicep and into my arm put. Can I put that down on the list of casualties?
    You mean the "list of mootes"?

Hope it doesn't keep you from your O Cup SS race this weekend. By the way...good luck.

mtbr member
    Oh jeeze. Did you see a doctor yet? If you have a red line radiating from a scrape or cut, heading towards the nearest lymph gland, you need to be on antibiotics! I did this once before...when I wiped out at the edge of my driveway and got a tiny bit of road rash. Really embarrassing to explain what happened at the hospital.

bi-winning

This one is for you.

Infection, yeah that counts.

veldrijder
    Quote Originally Posted by lukey
    Oh jeeze. Did you see a doctor yet? If you have a red line radiating from a scrape or cut, heading towards the nearest lymph gland, you need to be on antibiotics! I did this once before...when I wiped out at the edge of my driveway and got a tiny bit of road rash. Really embarrassing to explain what happened at the hospital.
    Good call on the diagnosis - that is something that should be looked at by a doctor and treated appropriately.

Hopefully everyone heals up quick. It's a bummer to hear about all the injuries.

mtbr member
    Good call on the diagnosis - that is something that should be looked at by a doctor and treated appropriately.
    Thanks. Nice to know that I'm an considered an expert on rashes on the internet.

Members who have read this thread: 1