Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member

Hamilton Endurance Ride - July 11th

EDIT: Due to many requests, ride is now SUNDAY July 12. Same time, same place.

Back by popular demand, we are going to try for round 4 of the hamilton endurance ride on July 12th. No OCUP's, no marathon series, no relay races, no excuses not to come out. Here's the previous attempts. Serious rain has played a role in all of them so far, here's hoping.

Round 1:

Hamilton Endurance Ride - Sat May 17

Round 2:

Hamilton Endurance Ride - July 19 - Round 2

The skinny

Where: We meet in the Metro Grocery store parking lot, 9:00 am, Saturday July 11th. This is at the corner of Upper Gage and Fennell in Hamilton.

What to expect: I'm brining in more trail for your dollar (which is $0, good deal). I'll be mixing this up, expect the first 30-40km to be completely different. If all goes well, we'll be riding ~ 100 km and climbing ~ 1300 m. The pace will be steady, but not blistering with a couple stops. We'll likely finish in ~ 7-8 hrs given normal group dynamics. We'll try to break for water at ~2.5 hours and then hit a store at ~ 5 hrs. However, be prepared for at least 3 hours of self supported riding.

The route: We'll be riding sections of singletrack connected by rail trail, double track, paved waterfront trail and some road.

Post ride: I'll provide some eats and treats (aka BBQ, chips, pasta salad and BEER) if you can make it to the end. (We won't strand anyone, don't worry)

If you have an questions, fire away.
    Last edited by CptSydor; 07-06-2009 at 05:00 AM.

veldrijder
    You know, I am not much for these long rides, but the good company that came with the one last summer has me thinking I'd be silly not to join. Here's hoping school/work doesn't pile up too much in the next week...

bi-winning
    Bah, I usually work Saturdays. I'll look into it.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    gotta see what is on the go for next Saturday but i will put myself in as a maybe.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I don't think I have anything plan for next Saturday. I will update later on this week

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Hey Jeff, would Sunday work instead of Saturday. It would just work better for me + Ryan doesn't work on Sunday. Just an idea...

mtbr member
    Sunday is possible for me. If that works better for people we can make it happen.

mtbr member

Sunday??

I will double-check to see if I can adjust my schedule, but I think I currently have a conflict for Saturday. Sunday (12th) would be most excellent if that is doable. Here's hoping Sunday gets the group nod, but I'll try to be there either way.

Any rough outlines on the percentages for road/gravel/double-/single-track we may expect?

mtbr member
    If it ends up being sunday I will more then likely join, I guess it also depends if the new whip shows up in time.

mtbr member
    Alright. Since many people are requesting, I have no problems. Ride is now officially on for Sunday July 12th. 9:00, same meeting place.

bi-winning
    Ok, I think that will work better for me. I should be there for another round.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I am also in. Hope I get my Brain shock back by then. If not I will be riding my freeride bike and try to keep up. See you all there

All my faucets is Moen.
    I wanted to do one of these last year with you guys but the distance was to much for me then. I think I can handle it now since my fitness is way better then last year.

I'm going to try and make it out, I'll pack a map just in case things turn south and I'll ride back solo or take a short cut.

Should we bring any treats for the BBQ? Yes I think we should.

mtbr member
    I'm in. Order me a medium casket. Grey would match my bike well.

Speedhub doc.
    I'm in, can I bring others along? I'll be riding a more of a xc bike instead of the big dh bike
    Cheers
    Verndog
    Vern Dog the Bike Guy

mtbr member
    Guests are always welcome. The more people, the more the suffering is dispersed?

Lukey, is the coffin to drag behind you to give the rest of use a chance to keep up? Even if you are doing an epic the day before.

Finally, unless you have dietary restrictions, I'll just be throwing some simple burgers and sausage on the BBQ, nothing special, nor overly expensive, so I wouldn't worry about leaving it in your car all day.

mtbr member
    I'll try my best to make it. Hopefully the weather cooperates.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor
    Lukey, is the coffin to drag behind you to give the rest of use a chance to keep up? Even if you are doing an epic the day before.
    That thing? That's my lunchbox.

mtbr member
    Forecast isn't looking very good for this weekend:

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/caon0289

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by macming
    Forecast isn't looking very good for this weekend:

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/caon0289

Well, I'll be so bold as to say, I can't be much worse than the past 2 times we've tried and that only made us stronger and hungrier.

I'll start seriously looking at the forecast Friday night. If it looks completely horrible we can cancel or re-route day of to prevent suffering and trail damage.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    i'm in

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Ahhh... nice long ride - good stuff! Throwing any ski hill ascents in the route? Jeff, there better not be any hike-a-bike!!! See you all sunday!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Looking forward to Sunday. So far the weather look good and I should get my shock back today. I just "jinxes" everything so my shock will get lost in the mail and it will snow on Sunday. See you all there anyway. Jeff, I will bring some beer and let us know if you need anything else.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcr1
    Looking forward to Sunday. So far the weather look good and I should get my shock back today. I just "jinxes" everything so my shock will get lost in the mail and it will snow on Sunday. See you all there anyway. Jeff, I will bring some beer and let us know if you need anything else.

I didn't want to be the one to say it, but yeah, weather looks great right now. Here's hoping nothing happens to your shock JC.

Rode close to half the route last night and will ride the other half today. Managed to get two of the best sections of singletrack in the area brought into the ride. One is tight, fast, flowy and the other nice and technical. Something for everyone! Oh yeah, I've thrown in a couple more climbs.

For complete giggles, there will also be two jersey's available during the ride. I have identified 4 climbs and 4 sprints where we can have a little competition (ie. safe) for those who wish. 3, 2 and 1 point will be available for the first 3 people 'across the line'. Person with the highest point total will be crowned king of the mountains or(and?) the top sprinter. There will be a bike related prize for each.

Looking forward to Sunday.

All my faucets is Moen.
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor
    For complete giggles, there will also be two jersey's available during the ride. I have identified 4 climbs and 4 sprints where we can have a little competition (ie. safe) for those who wish. 3, 2 and 1 point will be available for the first 3 people 'across the line'. Person with the highest point total will be crowned king of the mountains or(and?) the top sprinter.
    Awesome! I'll be there for sure.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast