Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Group mtb ride Sunday Mornings -London,ON

Hey Guys,

I am running a mtb group ride in London and wanted to share the information with the board in case anyone is interested in coming out. I will just copy and paste my post to save me a bunch of typing

Now that the mother nature has finally calmed down and provided use with some consistent warm days, I wanted to invite everyone out for a Sunday morning ride at Fanshawe Park Conservation Area.

I will be at the bike wash station at 830am with plans to hit the trails for 9am. Reynold Cycle has provided me with a Trek canopy tent that will be used as the main meeting point. I want to make this ride accessible to ALL LEVELS of riders, so if your new to the sport, don't be afraid to come out, it will be fun!

I am planning on doing 2 laps. The first lap will be an easy pace and no dropped riders (we will wait at every trail merge, so we don't lose anyone). We can go over some skills and trail riding tips if anyone is interested as well. This will be perfect for beginner-intermediate riders.

The second lap will be faster and geared more towards intermediate -advanced riders, but we will still wait at the main intersections so nobody gets lost. Start time for the second lap will be approx 10:30 (give or take a couple of minutes based on the first lap pace)

Please have at least a large bottle of water, a helmet and basic tools in case of a flat.

Couple of additional things:

-if you have never been to Fanshawe Park, it is a fantastic place to learn. It is setup as a 20-25km loop around the lake with a variety of terrain. Since it is a loop, we will stopping at the car after the first lap to grab more water or to drop/pickup riders. You have the option of doing one or both rides, so don't feel intimidated. Plan for the first lap to be 1:30-1:45 long.

-please make sure your bike is in good working order. Today is a perfect day to get outside, give the bike a good wash and go over it for anything that could cause an issue. Lets not spend Sunday morning doing a repair session instead of riding!

- Any questions feel free to call or text me at 226-456-1725

Thanks!

Matt

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    This sounds great but I'll be out of town this weekend. Will this be happening every Sunday?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Hey Rattles,

The plan is to have the ride every Sunday. Since our first week running it was last week, we may do some small tweaks depending on what riders want. I like the 9am start because it isn't too early, and two laps can easily be done before noon, which opens up the rest of the day. I will be posting weekly updates on the Reynold Cycle Facebook page, so if you go over and "like" them, you can get into the loop with what is happening. If you want to PM me your email, I can put you on the email thread as well. No sales pitches or spam, it's just a convenient way to keep people informed

Hope to see you out!

Matt

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Just wanted to bump this post as a reminder that we are out riding at Fanshawe every Sunday. Come out for a fun couple of laps!

It's working!
    Will this be happening this Sunday? I might be able to make it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    It will be! I am trying to run it every Sunday unless the weather is really bad. Hopefully you can make it.

mtbr member
    Typical London support ....

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Unfortunately I need to cancel the group ride for tomorrow. With the amount of rain we are currently getting, the smart thing to do is let the trails dry up before riding so we don't ruin them. We will hopefully be back riding next Sunday!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I just got off the phone with Fanshawe and it looks like the thunderstorm missed them, so the ride is on! Hope to see some new faces tomorrow!

It's working!
    Well I can't make it this week but maybe next.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

It's working!
    So how did it go? Any pictures of interest from the ride? I so want to try for next week.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Terranaut-The turnout was a bit low because of the overcast morning and the long weekend I think. The trails were a bit slick with some good sized puddles which made for a dirty but challenging ride. I think most people were waiting for the sun to come out because I ended up seeing a lot of people on the 2nd lap running and biking. Good times either way!

I will be in Detroit next weekend for my girlfriends sisters wedding, but one of the riders who consistently comes out will be leading the ride.

Were you able to get out at all for a ride? It ended up turning into a beautiful day.

mtbr member
    Hey Matt - is this ride taking place tomorrow (Aug 31??)

mtbr member
    Hey Matt - great meeting everybody!! See you next weekend

It's working!
    I have been on holidays and up north. Try to get out next week.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Kladd- Thanks for coming out last Sunday, it was great to have you. For your first time, you did awesome. You will see huge improvements as you start to come out more and more.

Terranaut- No worries on not making it out yet, summer is always busy. Hopefully you can make it out this Sunday. We are there every week, but if you want to shoot me a message on here or a text to my phone, I can confirm all the details with you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I might have to get out to one of these. Building my fence this weekend with my buddies but maybe next week for sure. I have only been to Fanshawe once and I enjoyed it. I need to pick my cardio level up a bit though.

It's working!
    Yeah I too am not exactly in great shape either ;-) if the Hydro cut is closed tomorrow i will make it out Sunday. Hopefully won't cough up my spleen :-)

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I was going to go ride Woodstock today (Saturday), but decided on a road ride instead. With all the rain we got in St. Thomas, I am scared to drive to Woodstock only to find that the trials are sloppy. Hopefully you have better luck with Hydrocut. Let me know how you make out, I haven't had a chance to make it out there yet this year.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Hello, im a new MTBer in in london and have done the loop a few times since i got my bike... If this is still on each sunday i will look to come out this weekend... I have to say i love the trails and would love to learn some tips and tricks from some experts as i really want to be able to climb all of the sections.

Can't wait!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    We would love to have you come out! It is a great time and Fanshawe is perfect helping work on some skills to get you through the trails faster.

Unfortunately, I will not be doing the group ride this Sunday. I will be in Woodstock racing the 6 hour Dairy Capital Stampede. Registration is still open if anyone is interested

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Had a little solo session yesterday as my buddy I generally ride with bailed.

Only the second time doing the loop and found the features I missed last time. I am still a bit out of shape, but training to get back to my normal endurance level.

I did the loop in 1hr 40min with the little stops to take these pics. How slow is my pace?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Group mtb ride Sunday Mornings -London,ON-photo-1.jpg  

Group mtb ride Sunday Mornings -London,ON-photo-2.jpg  

Group mtb ride Sunday Mornings -London,ON-photo-3.jpg  

Group mtb ride Sunday Mornings -London,ON-photo-4.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Wow I'm new to fanshawe lake as well. Done the loop 5 times and haven't seen the section you posted yet.

Where is it on the loop?

It looks like a lot of fun and challenging for sure

Dorkimus Prime
    MM4Y, great pictures of the obstacles. How many did you clear? The first picture of the feature with the tire looks really intimidating...
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggie View Post
    MM4Y, great pictures of the obstacles. How many did you clear? The first picture of the feature with the tire looks really intimidating...
    I cleared all except the tire one. I tried 3 times and did not have the right momentum for it. Bailed right at the end each time. I'm sure next time I will get it, I was pretty low on energy when I got to that one. Plus the muddy conditions did not help.

Hawks, the two first features are at the north of the loop, by Thorndale Rd. It's West of the large concrete bridge that you go over on the road. The first time I did the loop I was going counter clockwise and I missed it, this time I went clockwise and it was easy to see. (The entrance to black diamond that is). I made it a mission to hit all the black diamonds that I could see on my ride.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast