mtbr member

Good place to XC Ride for 4 days ??

Looking for a good place to drive to and stay up for about 4 or 5 days to ride in June or July. Wanted to take another trip to Vancouver this year but cant do it b/c of time so i figured i would take some time and go around Ontario.

Would anyone be able to recommend a place i can drive to and ride for a weekend or so and that is close to accommodations also. Looking into http://www.mtbthebruce.com/index.php but seems like the trails are about 1 hour apart from each other so trying to get other suggestions that may be out there.

My likes are basically fast passed single track and technical riding, woodwork would be nice also

Thank you
    Last edited by stylesx; 03-10-2008 at 10:07 AM.

Sir Hurt Locker
    Hardwood Hills is good for XC riding. Also Ganaraska Forest up near Peterborough has a lot of good singletrack (one of IMBA's epic trail systems), ummmm, Hydrocut in Waterloo is amazing but it is a one day thing but you could also ride Puslinch in Guelph, Kelso and Hilton Falls (in Halton Hills), which are all fairly near one another. There is also Haliburton, there is a ton of trails up there and I am sure you could spend 4 days riding up there, i have never ridden the Haliburton trails so I do not know if they are singletrack, tachnical or awhatever. Thats about all I can think of right now.
    Cheers,

Seb

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    In case you haven't noticed the threads . . . we've had a fresh snowfall of 30-50+cm. It's either XC skiing or snowshoeing for now.

Which weekend are you planning to ride?

Sir Hurt Locker
    I think he's planning a trip for spring or summer ... I hope, it's kinda hard to miss the snow
    Cheers,

Seb

mtbr member
    Thanks a lot , that gives me a lot of ideas. I really appreciate it

mtbr member
    For sure spring .... lol not now. Just went to the bike show and now i have began my planning for spring. I was thinking July or so

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by stylesx
    For sure spring .... lol not now. Just went to the bike show and now i have began my planning for spring. I was thinking July or so
    In that case Barrie or Collingwood is good place to stay. There's Blue Mountain (Collingwood) which is known for downhill but they also have XC trails. There's Three Stage (Collingwood) which is advance XC. Hardwood Hills (near Barrie) for XC.
    Last edited by notnormal; 03-10-2008 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Update links.

mtbr member
    Yeah Three Stages was really nice, I also did Kolopore which was also another one which is also great for riding but i got lost in there ahah

Just trying to get some variety, Hardwood i actually really like and will for sure be going there this season.

I seem to compare everything to Vancouver after taking a trip out there and its fantastic.

Here are some pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.JPG (91.5 KB, 261 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.JPG (94.3 KB, 301 views)

Student
    Nice pics.
    [SIZE="3"]The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash. ~Julie Furtado[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    If you want to drive a bit more, try Mt. St Anne in Quebec.

mtbr member
    You have several options. The Collingwood area is great for Three Stage, Kolapore, etc. Muskoka has Buckwallow, Porcupine and other great riding options. Or head a bit further north, escape all the tourists, spend a couple days in Sudbury and a couple in North Bay (or just pick one), both have great riding options without the trail traffic, just be sure to connect with some locals, we rarely bite, or you will get lost and eaten by a moose.

Made in Canada
    Good thing I ran into this thread, I was planning something like this myself in the summer... I was looking at Three Stage, Kolapore and Buckwallow but at the moment Kolapore is looking amazing from what I've heard. Most recently I've rode the Minessing at Algonquin Park, which of the previous 3 trails are most comparable? It sounds like 3 Stage is a real rough trail.

If you haven't checked out the Minessing Trail at Algonquin Park, I would say check it out, its and amazing trail with very little trail traffic, the 17 and 26 km loops are the best IMO. If you stay at the Cannisbay Campground you can bike to the trails easily from your campsite.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocks'r'friends
    You have several options. The Collingwood area is great for Three Stage, Kolapore, etc. Muskoka has Buckwallow, Porcupine and other great riding options. Or head a bit further north, escape all the tourists, spend a couple days in Sudbury and a couple in North Bay (or just pick one), both have great riding options without the trail traffic, just be sure to connect with some locals, we rarely bite, or you will get lost and eaten by a moose.
    hahahha moose bite hurt from what i hear

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tpm7
    Good thing I ran into this thread, I was planning something like this myself in the summer... I was looking at Three Stage, Kolapore and Buckwallow but at the moment Kolapore is looking amazing from what I've heard. Most recently I've rode the Minessing at Algonquin Park, which of the previous 3 trails are most comparable? It sounds like 3 Stage is a real rough trail.
    None are really that similar to Minnesing trail. Mennesing is relatively flat and pretty nontechnical. Three stage does have some easier runs, but involves some pretty good climbing. Kolapore has lots of climbing and lots of rocks. Buckwallow, while it is pretty flat, but it had lots of technical riding.

mtbr member
    If you are looking for a destination weekend the only places I would suggest in Southern Ontario are,

-Collingwood: Three Stage, Kalapore, Blue Mountain and Some Bruce trail stuff.
    -Bracebridge Area: Buckwallow, Porcupine Ridge (quite rooty and Technical lots of fun)
    -Haliburton Forest can be a fun destination as well.

Elsewhere close:
    -Ellicotteville, about an hour south of the border some awesome trails (ones an IMBA Epic)
    -Ottawa I would suggest a couple days in Ottawa then do the 1.5 hour drive to Tremblant for a couple of days.
    -Thunder Bay has some good riding and you could stop at another location on Highway 17 on the way home.

Quebec suppose to have some great riding but I don't have any personal experience.

Sweet Monkey Tuesday!
    If you're up for a good place to stay and drive a bit from there Gravenhurst/Bracebridge could work - Buckwallow and Porcupine are close as mentioned - 45 minutes to Hardwood - 45-60 to Haliburton Forest - 60-75 to Minnesing - about 20 to Torrance Barrens (or let me know and I'll point you to the longer Barrens ride leaving from Gravenhurst) - as well as a couple of other shorter rides in locally (Resource Management, Hahne Farm)

Just my two cents - I live in Gravenhurst and don't own a car, but it's not a bad place to be a rider. Lot's of riding, but nothing huge like Bromont or Mont St. Anne

Live Free or Ride!
    If you're looking to spend 4-5 days and not ride the same trails then Haliburton forest is the only show in town. All the places listed above are amazing and highly recommended. But you will be riding the same trails.
    2007 Giant Anthem 1
    2009 Giant XTC 0

mtbr member
    How technical are the trails at Haliburton forest ? are they single track?

Sir Hurt Locker

I would also like to know the answer to this, anyone got the answer? I've been planning on riding there but the reviews I've gotten or so varied that I am not sure if it is worth the drive.
    Cheers,

Seb

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2_Tires

I would also like to know the answer to this, anyone got the answer? I've been planning on riding there but the reviews I've gotten or so varied that I am not sure if it is worth the drive.

I know thats the thing i would like to see what type of riding there is to do there bc I am not really into the scenery as much as riding fast flowing single track with woodwork and drop offs and such, even though sceneries are nice to see also.

I guess to explain myself a bit better is im not looking for a trail where i am going to bump into hikers on their Sunday walk

Thanks gents for all the suggestions, this is all great info

Sweet Monkey Tuesday!

Can't say myself

Can't say myself what Haliburton Forest is like - haven't made it their myself, but plan to early this year and can report back then if no one else can answer before then.

I've never been in a hurry to ride out there as from reading their website it sounds pretty tame. However according to Sean/Adam on the Crank the Shield site, it sounds like it's well worth the trip. I still doubt you'll find any stunts out there though.

If that's what you're looking for - take a stop into Porcupine on your way through in Bracebridge, but I'd say head for North Bay. Lot's of built up gravity fueled fun up there on the ski hill, some technical spots behind the school, and I hear the XC ski club is the place to go - it was featured on nsmb some time ago. Somehow in the three years I was living in North Bay I never made it out there myself though.

Person
    Sep 2005
    It is mostly double track.

But it is the most difficult double track you will ever ride.

Last time I was there, had a hardtail with 80mm Judy and V-brakes. I got the crap beat out of me.

Lots and lots and lots of rocks. And lots of big steep hills.