Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Good all-round tires...

I need to change the tires on my wife's bike. Right now she's riding on the stock Bontrager Jones XR-s and she is all over the trails at high speed even when it's bone dry...
    My plan is to get her a good all-round , all-weather set up.
    We ride at: Don Valley , 3 Stage , Buckwallow , Hydro-Cut , Kelso.... all kind of surfaces.
    My plan is to put Kenda Nevegals 2.3 at the front and 2.1 at the rear...
    Would it be a good idea?
    She is less than 120 pounds.
    Any suggestions will be much appreciated!
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Kenda small block 8 would be a good option for the back. I have been riding them front and rear on my 29er and they are great. Light, suprising good traction. I am running them tubeless with stan

Cycle Solutions
    My favorite all around tires are 2.0 Michelin XCR dry's front and back. You can run the regular tube type tubeless with sealant. No problems for me in the 3 years I've been using them (3 different pairs). They work great in dry and also very well in wet rocky/rooty stuff. They are my #1 choice when racing in Quebec when it is wet (which it always is). They aren't great in deep mud but there is no tire that is good in dry and deep mud. I have convinced a few people to try these tires and they are loving them. They have widely spaced knobs that hook up when it is loose but they are shallow enough that they hook up great on hardpack.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Those tires are probably over kill. With those on she will not be slipping and sliding because those tire roll so slow.

Lots of tires with good grip that roll decent.

1) Kenda Karama are one of the best allrounders.

2) Maxxis Ignitors also excellent.

3) Maxxis Crossmarks are good too, not the best in the wet but all right.

4) A lot of people like some of the new Swalbe (Sp?) tires.

If you are really keen on Nevegals the 1.95 is a surprisily good tire.

Cycle Solutions
    Schwalbe's have issues sealing tubeless with a regular tube type tire. The bead is extremely loose and doesn't inspire confidence.

mtbr member
    I don't want to see her loosing speed that's for sure!
    She can keep up with us now so I'm happy!
    I'd just like to give her a bit more traction and stability just to get back her confidence.
    She complained a lot about not having enough grip and I didn't believe to her until yesterday...
    I followed her in the Don and it was scary...
    She went sideways soooo many times at high speed she was really on the limit...

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Been riding Panaracer Cinders this year and they are fantastic, no matter what the condition they just work great. They have made me a better rider. Traction is never an issue with these threads.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by want to ride
    I don't want to see her loosing speed that's for sure!
    She can keep up with us now so I'm happy!
    I'd just like to give her a bit more traction and stability just to get back her confidence.
    She complained a lot about not having enough grip and I didn't believe to her until yesterday...
    I followed her in the Don and it was scary...
    She went sideways soooo many times at high speed she was really on the limit...
    No-one has mentioned them, but Specialized Captain Controls are great all around tires. I am a racer and I run them tubeless and find that they have great rolling resistance combined with cornering and braking bite. Some of the other tires mentioned, save for Nevegals, are XC race tires that are pretty limiting for wet conditions and not really all around performers. Do a web search on some ratings on the Captain Controls. Reasonable weight and great all around performance...
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

http://www.apexracephotography.com

bi-winning
    I've had quite a handful of different tire combination on my bike this season alone. If I had to suggest one setup for "all around riding" I'd have to say:

Maxis Crossmark front with Michelin XC Dry rear.

Both roll rather fast. The Michelin gives great climbing traction even in mud (despite the name), and the front is predictable, with side knobs that really dig in to loose dirt when you need them.

I tried the Jones XR front, and I was not super impressed with it either. Though I have not done much of a ride on them, most report the Nevegal to be a very slow rolling, but grippy tire.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

veldrijder
    I support those who say the Nevegals are too much tire - they are really too heavy to be used for anything in the locations you said you ride.

Suggestions so far are good. Maxxis Crossmarks front and rear was my favourite combo on 26" wheels.

Before you make any changes however, I have to ask what pressures she is running the Bontragers at? Weighing only 120 lbs there is no way she should be running much more than 20 psi, and if they are pumped up to 30+ for example it is no surprise she is all over the place. Tires need to squish to grip

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoote
    I support those who say the Nevegals are too much tire - they are really too heavy to be used for anything in the locations you said you ride.

Suggestions so far are good. Maxxis Crossmarks front and rear was my favourite combo on 26" wheels.

Before you make any changes however, I have to ask what pressures she is running the Bontragers at? Weighing only 120 lbs there is no way she should be running much more than 20 psi, and if they are pumped up to 30+ for example it is no surprise she is all over the place. Tires need to squish to grip
    That was going to be my suggestion too. My wife is 110lbs is very unhappy if she has more than 22psi in her tires.

ups and downs
    If she's not prone to tearing sidewalls on pointy things, Conti Race King 2.2 Supersonics are great on hardpack and loose sandy/dusty over hardpack, and spooky good on wet roots and rocks, work well on typical forest floor trail surface. They work in everything but deeper or sticky mud, they actually work respectably well on really wet loamy black mud trails. They are huge tires. They roll very fast in dry weather and wear better than the Nevies in Stick-E rubber. I have them on 4 bikes in my collection right now.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

sock puppet

Nevegals are too heavy and over rated

except 1.95 Nevegal Lite - which is excellent. I think it is too narrow for all around tire. Same applies to Michelin XCR Dry - it is a RACING tire, which means that the grip will be limited and will require more skill to keep them under control. Very fast tires though.

I would pick Schwalbe Nobby Nic as one of the best all around tires. Would not try to run non-tubeless version as tubeless with sealant - it will not work well.

Maxxis Ignitors - excellent in loose and muddy conditions, but not very good on hardpack, unless you drop the pressure and go at least 2.1 in the back and 2.3 front.

I suggest running Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.1 in the back and 2.25 front...

good luck. finding the perfect tire is a never ending quest....

I need to change the tires on my wife's bike. Right now she's riding on the stock Bontrager Jones XR-s and she is all over the trails at high speed even when it's bone dry...
    We ride at: Don Valley , 3 Stage , Buckwallow , Hydro-Cut , Kelso.... all kind of surfaces.
    Would it be a good idea?
    Thanks!
    Signature

Slick Rick
    I use Maxxis Ignitors on the front, and Crossmark on the rear.

mtbr member
    I had 2.1 Nevgal UST tires on the gf's bike. I ran her wheelset on my bike during the mudfest of the 12 hour of summer solestice. I've NEVER had more traction on my bike. They climbed OK, but they do weigh double of my regular tires. My gf isn't so good on the brakes or down hills, so I'm thinking of keeping those tires on her bike.

If she's going sideways so much, I say run the Nevegals. Safety before speed!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I like Maxxis Ignitor as a rear and not as a front. I have been running a 2.1 UST for awhile and have tried other things and have always gone back to it. Just a note that the ignitors are pretty narrow for a 2.1.

Fronts I tend to change more. I had and Specialized Eskar Control 2Bliss Tire in 2.3 on the front for awhile. I tried it on the back and was not impressed with the traction over slippery roots and rocks. On the front liked it. I just put a Panaracer Fire XC 2.1 on the front that I had kicking around. I am running it tubless even though it is not a tubless tire. Been great and comparable to the 2.3 Eskar and it weighs less. The Ignitor on the fron I found wouldn't stick at speed around corners when it got slick. Maybe because of how narrow it is.

You are going to find that ture choice is like saddles. Juust because someone loves a certain setup doesn't mean you are going to like it.

mtbr member

Before you make any changes however, I have to ask what pressures she is running the Bontragers at? Weighing only 120 lbs there is no way she should be running much more than 20 psi, and if they are pumped up to 30+ for example it is no surprise she is all over the place. Tires need to squish to grip [/QUOTE]

I went down as far as 24 at front and 26 at the rear,but then she lost her momentum and got tired lot faster then usual...
    It will be a tough decision to pick the right one....

Looking for Adventure
    I have the Nevegal's 2.1, lightest version. They are still a lot of tire and quite heavy, way too much to drag around for a 120lb person. These tires shine on really loose ground and some muddy conditions, but are no good for hardpack.

A light person like your wife needs a light tire. Lots to choose from in the full knobby XC race category.
    SUCCESS - To be able to spend life in your own way

I wonder why?
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo
    I would pick Schwalbe Nobby Nic as one of the best all around tires. Would not try to run non-tubeless version as tubeless with sealant - it will not work well.

I suggest running Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.1 in the back and 2.25 front...
    I'd agree with Osokolo on the Nobby Nics, however, I've used the non-tubeless versions tubeless with no problems whatsoever.

I've run the NN's on on conventional rims (with Stan's strips/goop) and on TLR rims (with Stan's goop). Mounting on the TLR rims the first time required that I mount the tire first with a tube to set the beads, then remove the tube while keeping one bead seated. I'd then throw in a couple of scoops of Stan's, mount the other bead using plenty of soapy water and air up/seat the other bead. Once the tires have been mounted the first time and used a bit, they remount again quite easily.

I don't understand the other comments regarding the beads being loose, as this hasn't been my experience with 5 different tires on three different wheelsets.

I've also used the UST version on the TLR rims with no problems (aired up easily).

My wife is using non-UST Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.25's in the rear and 2.4 Nobby Nics up front (both tubeless with Stan's strips). Though, I'd think she would like a bit more traction in the rear when things are loose.

Osokolo's suggested 2.1 rear and 2.25 rear combo is a good one for all around riding.

As others have indicated, the Nevegals are really slow rolling, however, they do provide excellent traction.

i1dry?

mtbr member

Wowww

Thanks guys for the input!!
    One thing is clear to me now:
    Tire choice is a very personal thing!
    Right now I'm bit more confused then I was before I posted this thread!
    But the most important ; I picked up a tons of useful info !
    I'll go back to the beginning and start to read the whole thread again!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN
    That was going to be my suggestion too. My wife is 110lbs is very unhappy if she has more than 22psi in her tires.
    That is really low...
    Is that a tubeless set up?

veldrijder
    I went down as far as 24 at front and 26 at the rear,but then she lost her momentum and got tired lot faster then usual...
    It will be a tough decision to pick the right one....
    I weigh 190 lbs and those are my usual pressures (though I run large volume tires: 2.4" front, 2.2" rear). I can't imagine running them that high if I weighed 63% of that...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Benno
    Schwalbe's have issues sealing tubeless with a regular tube type tire. The bead is extremely loose and doesn't inspire confidence.
    It has more to do with the rim than the tire. Schwalbe Ralph's, Ron's, Nics and Freds seal and run fine on Stans and Mavic tubeless rims down to 26psi.

some kind of hero...
    Would it be a good idea?
    Thanks!
    Yes, another recommendation... For the places you mentioned, the IRC Mibro, 2.1 rear, 2.25 front is hard to beat for the $$ and performance. You can find them on-line for $20 each. Don't use them in mud...

Cheers
    GEVELTERSCHMIDT RACING

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I decided to try Excavators and I'm impressed.They stick very well,roll faster than Nevagals but I'm not sure about the weight compared to other suggestions.Mine are 2.35 dtc,but they come in 2.10 or 1.95 I believe.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast