Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

"Ghost" bikes -- good or bad?

Just curious about something -- does anyone know anything about the "Ghost" bikes at Mountain Equipment Co-op? It's their proprietary branded bike line. Seems to be equipped relatively well for its various price points, but I don't know anything about them. If there's any generalities, please pass along, good or bad as in too much flex in frame, weak frame/poor geometries, poor reliability, only good at low end level prices while high end price points are less competitive versus mainstream brands, only good for recreational use rather than aggressive trail riding, hardtails may be decent while the full suspension versions are uncompetitive, etc.? As well, if any specific "Ghost" bikes are known to be a good set up bang for the buck kind of thing, please share experience of such. Thanks for any feedback.

Sissy Pants FTW Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by weekendthrasher View Post
    It's their proprietary branded bike line.
    Ghost is not a proprietary bike brand of MEC. They are actually a "real" bike company based in Germany that sells through traditional LBS dealer channels across Europe.

GHOST BIKES: Home

It's very interesting they partnered with MEC for what seems to be (for now) an exclusive relationship in Canada.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    hmm, odd, have never heard of them except via MEC; not in mountain bike reviews/mags, blogs, conversations, etc. and have definitely never come across them in the trails. But that being said, got it, they're a 'real' bike company. question still stands -- are the GHOST bikes any good? thx.

rwmtb

Bikeradar

You can find reviews for the Ghost bikes on Bikeradar.com. Search their site with "Ghost 2012 mountain bikes" and you'll get an article which reviews some of the bikes on sale at MEC.

Quote Originally Posted by weekendthrasher View Post
    hmm, odd, have never heard of them except via MEC; not in mountain bike reviews/mags, blogs, conversations, etc. and have definitely never come across them in the trails. But that being said, got it, they're a 'real' bike company. question still stands -- are the GHOST bikes any good? thx.
    Sort of like Scott bikes a few years ago, which were already huge in Europe but almost no one in North America had ever heard of them though. Up to that point the company was ironically still called "Scott USA" even though they didn't sell bikes in USA! The "USA" part was merely to give them an exotic foreign caché for their European market. Kind of funny how that works in both directions. I've always heard generally positive information about Ghost bikes in the past following some of the Euro mags (although one has to be skeptical of mag reviews sometimes, for obvious reasons).

I strongly suspect they are a good "value" at MEC's prices, if not also being good bikes irrespective of price. Over the life cycle of a bike, different people will have different definitions of how to measure value and that takes into account the ability of the dealer to provide initial fit and setup, ongoing service, warranty support if required, etc. I'll leave you to ponder whether what you can get from MEC in those areas is better or worse than LBSs which you have access to. For people who do all their own wrenching and go more with the e-tailer route than LBS, it may be a moot point.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    Over the life cycle of a bike, different people will have different definitions of how to measure value and that takes into account the ability of the dealer to provide initial fit and setup, ongoing service, warranty support if required, etc. I'll leave you to ponder whether what you can get from MEC in those areas is better or worse than LBSs which you have access to.
    Load statement is loaded. Just say what you want to say.

The debate isn't about service or the bikes. It's about how you feel in supporting a small locally owned bike shop vs supporting a huge corporation that happens to also be a co-op.

The bikes are as good or better than anything that Giant/Trek/Specialized/Rocky/Norco/Devinci produce. MEC has brought their staff knowledge up to the level of most shops.

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    I will be sure to check with you first before saying anything in the future, to make sure you agree that it is really what I want to say (where's the damn sarcasm smiley when I need it?)

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

The debate isn't about service or the bikes. It's about how you feel in supporting a small locally owned bike shop vs supporting a huge corporation that happens to also be a co-op.

The bikes are as good or better than anything that Giant/Trek/Specialized/Rocky/Norco/Devinci produce. MEC has brought their staff knowledge up to the level of most shops.
    im pretty sure mec does a lot of good things, at least more than both the average corporation or the average lbs. i would not feel bad supporting them or the brand names they carry.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I rode their carbon XC dualie 26er at buckwallow - it was constructed nicely, rode pretty well, pedalled well with the pro-pedal on - but not so good without it. I am not into dualies but it felt/looked good to me.

Wouldn't buy it if it was my money however as it was still a bit heavy (I'm a weight weenie)

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by pizon View Post
    im pretty sure mec does a lot of good things, at least more than both the average corporation or the average lbs. i would not feel bad supporting them or the brand names they carry.
    Agreed, my buddy is the head bike tech at the Barrie MEC (used to work at a small LBS in Barrie / also the bike I rode in the previous post) and he loves it there. They treat him really well, send him on all kinds of bike building / repair courses, including wheel building school, and they pay for a good chunk of any post secondary education he does.

He said they support the customer a lot more than the LBS he worked at prior to and the bike staff is more educated to boot. Plus you don't have hassles with return or warranty like some LBS if you don't have a good one.

livin' large
    Rode the Amr plus for a weekend at Hilton Falls, quite a decent bike, not as good as my usual trail bike (yeti sb66). But at half the $ pretty impresive. Full squish is a Horst link bike ala specialized so they are pretty good, and the rear ends are specific to each frame size, rather than one rear end and different front triangles which is more common. Also has 2 to 1 ratio on rear end so really supple on small trail chatter. With MEC you will have a no hassle warranty compared to most LBSs, and bang for the buck they are really sweet rides. One gripe about the Amr plus was it needs a bash guard instead of a big ring, but other than that It was hard to find fault.
    it tied the room together man!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    I will be sure to check with you first before saying anything in the future, to make sure you agree that it is really what I want to say (where's the damn sarcasm smiley when I need it?)
    The way I read those lines quoted it seemed like you wanted to say more on how you feel about MEC being in the bike game.

Good ski shops and outdoor shops have survived the bike shops are just going to have to suck it up and up their game.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    for me if at all possible I buy all my outdoor gear from MEC.
    but back to the OP's question about Ghost. Yes they are a real brand in Europe and
    are sold at chain reaction as well. decent bikes imo.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007

Good ski shops and outdoor shops have survived the bike shops are just going to have to suck it up and up their game.
    Yes..you either adapt and do good at it. Or you sit on your reputation and go under.
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

Depression...can eat a sack of manure and die.

The way I read those lines quoted it seemed like you wanted to say more on how you feel about MEC being in the bike game.
    Nothing of the sort. I assigned no value judgement one way or the other, except to suggest that it's always wise to consider all available factors. You've interpreted in based on how you feel about the topic, rather than what I actually wrote.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

There is a europe bound store literally across the street from a MEC where I live. Seems to be doing quite fine for itself.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by pizon View Post
    There is a europe bound store literally across the street from a MEC where I live. Seems to be doing quite fine for itself.
    Have managed to break 2 in less than a year, a 5700 and RT 7500.
    Both breaks were on the drive side chainstay

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I ride the Ghost carbon hard tail 29'er, HTX Lector 2977, through MEC.

Why? Because I had a dollar amount that I was willing to spend.
    I did my research and narrowed it down to a hand full of bikes and then went to look at them. Ghost was the last bike I looked at and was clearly the winner for me and my wallet. Buying through MEC is always is good option because they support both members and the product they sell. So I did.
    I had not heard of Ghost before they came to MEC. I was skeptical. But some
    one won an Olympic Gold on one, and any one who trains all their life for one race is going to be riding an incredible machine. The research has been done for me, this is a top level manufacturer.

This bike replaces my old Cadex II carbon hard tail 26'er from the 1990's, that I rode forever. I got what I was expecting and hoping for from the Ghost.
    The frame is stiff, light, and nimble while remaining absorbing and rugged. Incredible climber...
    The frame is a solid champion. I 100% recommend this frame. The front end is also amazing and has been perfect.
    I bought this bike for the frame, with the intent of upgrading the components as needed.
    The issues I've had with the bike: going through gear cables, going through chains, clumsy drive train right from the get go, and I tore the cassette spindle in half while gently cruising in a meadow...

Gets me to thinking that, although this bike had better components than every other bike in it's price range, the frame outclasses the components to the point of pulling everything apart. Too much torque?

I am not a big man, I am in my 40's, and I ride solo for distance, meaning I ride the line between caution and aggression and don't do anything crazy because I am alone when I am in the bush/country/city/wherever. I am not hard on the bike, There have been more issues than there should be, this early on for a low impact rider on a brand new high end mountain bike.

It is in the MEC shop now.
    There are many excellent bike shops in Toronto.
    Why is the MEC shop better? One example is that the bike chain I buy from MEC is a full $35 more at the LBS.
    I will soon find out about the MEC guaranty.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlipBlop29 View Post
    and I tore the cassette spindle in half while gently cruising in a meadow...
    You broke the freehub in half? I can't say that I've ever seen that before!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    MEC got back to me, the free hub has been recalled by Shimano, and they are replacing it, and repairing the damage it caused.
    They had never seen one ripped, either. Mystery solved, and should solve the drive train issues.

And, I was wrong about the chain price difference at MEC, it was a better chain thus the price difference.

mtbr member

RE: "Ghost" bikes -- good or bad?

Having said that I have noticed that the same SRAM chains tend to be cheaper at MEC than most lbs'.
    Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Cheaper chains and tires at MEC for sure, best prices in the city.

I got my Ghost back from MEC. Faulty Shimano part replaced, damage from the exploded part fixed, back to brand new, all under warranty.

MEC came through, I took the bike out for a short 60km ride and it is spot on, feels brand new.
    Thank you MEC!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Ghost isn't available anywhere else in North America except for MEC. I bought a Ghost AMR 2978 and it's the best 29er I've ever ridden. It's got great geometry having bottom bracket placed in an optimal location for clearance, handling and center of gravity. The chain stay is very short 440mm compare to other XC 29er bikes which allow better handling and turning radius. The wheel is very stiff and overall not a lot of frame flex. The bike gets a lot of head turns on the trail, everyone wants to know about the brand and comments on the good looks.

The bike build was the only downside, I had to tighten couple bolts that was causing creeks/click sound in the frame when going over bumps. It was caused by a loose seatpost clamp and there was a half mm gap between the stem and its spacers.

Overall great bike, the only thing that I had to replace was the rim, it got bent after a small jump so I upgraded to Stan's Arch EX on the stock XT hubs.

"Ghost" bikes -- good or bad?-img_20130831_181726.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by unwind View Post
    Have managed to break 2 in less than a year, a 5700 and RT 7500.
    Both breaks were on the drive side chainstay
    That happened to me yesterday too, but on the brake caliper side (alloy chainstay)!! I was in love with my bike (Ghost RT Lector 5700 2011), I used to believe it was the best company, because I could do everything on my bike by having the greatest feel from it and also they have the best looks.
    I don't know what to believe now though..
    I hope it will get fixed, I'm waiting a response from Ghost support, to see my options..
    "Ghost" bikes -- good or bad?-photo-3.jpg"Ghost" bikes -- good or bad?-photo.jpg

mtbr member
    Fixed? You mean replaced?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast