Thread: Ghost Bikes

mtbr member

Ghost Bikes

I've seen a few bikes painted completely white over the past coupe of years, here and there (one down the street from my house) and often wondered what the deal was. I just figured it was a some poor guy/girl who locked a bike up and somebody painted it; until I found the Bike Pirates web site. I copied the info below just to share the point. I have no concerns that anyone will be annoyed, I'm not selling anything just helping spread the word about their cause. They say they are in Toronto but I don't live there so I guess they have started something good out of respect and other communities are following suit.

Hats off to the Bike Pirates!

Ghost bikes
    Ghost bikes are memorials to bicyclists who have died in collisions with cars and trucks on Toronto streets.

They are old bicycles painted white and placed where bicyclists have died. Plaques dientify the dead. The memorials are the work of Bike Pirates.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    There are no "mistakes"; only learning curves.

veldrijder
    An interesting concept certainly. It's funny you post this now, as I'd just read the latest post on Bike Snob NYC which talks about these memorials in NYC. That blog, of course, is meant to be taken with a light heart but I tend to agree that memorials of any kind are not my thing. I do feel that cycling related deaths (and any car-on-cyclist contact) is a very serious issue, and I wish more would be done about it, but mysterious and sentimental white bikes are not necessarily the answer IMO.

More than a little slow
    What those ghost bikes are is a reminder to motorists and cyclists of the possible consequences of their actions. Whether they are completely effective is debatable but that some people see them and recognize them for what they are is a step in the right direction.
    There would be more of them out there, but the cops remove them, sometimes very quickly, as abandoned bicycles.
    I pass one each day on my commute to work and a second whenever it gets replaced.
    jmoote - i like your blog

Student
    That's so interesting. I have heard of that and never known why ghost bikes existed. That's very cool.
    [SIZE="3"]The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash. ~Julie Furtado[/SIZE]

banned
    Mar 2005
    sadly, the number continues to grow
    Attached Images Attached Images

NormalNorm
    A clip on youtube on ghost bikes.....very sad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6NGBlFrURE