mtbr member
    Jul 2009

getting fork oil

Hey guys. Im in toronto, just wondering where is everyone getting their fork oil from. None of my local auto shops have it, tried canadian tire with no luck, and some online stores refuse to ship it because chemicals.
    So where can I get some????

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I used to buy my fork oil at motorcycle shops. I haven't bought any in years and the local shop recently closed so I'll either have to find a new shop or go online for my next batch of fork oil.

cyberbully
    ^ moto shops should have it.
    ...a truly skeptical position would be a very uncertain one.
    -Rupert Sheldrake

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    With buying fork oil, you need to be quite carful with each manufacturer's weight. Apparently these numbers vary widely from one manufacturer to another. Here's a graph showing the actual viscosities of all the major brands. The most important thing is matching the viscosity of the recommeded oil from your fork manufacturer. And yes, hit your local moto store!

Marketing, Public Relations & Press Release Communications by MediaTurbo

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dru View Post
    With buying fork oil, you need to be quite carful with each manufacturer's weight. Apparently these numbers vary widely from one manufacturer to another. Here's a graph showing the actual viscosities of all the major brands. The most important thing is matching the viscosity of the recommeded oil from your fork manufacturer. And yes, hit your local moto store!

Marketing, Public Relations & Press Release Communications by MediaTurbo

Drew
    so if i want a higher wt (marz is 7,5, i was planing going up to 10wt), would i be looking at a higher or lower index?

Edit: realized it shows viscosity right there. Thanks!
    Last edited by pizon; 03-20-2013 at 10:33 AM.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    You've got to watch which thing you are looking at. Viscosity index and viscosity are two different things. They've got thicker stuff at the bottom, lighter at top (viscosity).

The viscosity index relates to temperture response. A bike fork probably wouldn't be affected as much by this number as a motocrosser would be.

For Marz, 10 wt has a higher viscosity number than 7.5.

Get the viscosity number 1st, then try to find a brand of oil that has a high viscosity index at that viscosity number.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Been very happy using Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF (which is not the recent versions of ATF fluids out there) bar code was 58196 43488. Was a popular ATF in 1990s-early 2000s in GM and Ford transmissions as well as others. Have been using it for over four years in a FOX F100 2006 which was fully Pushed and a 2008 Fox Talas 140. These are not the newer FIT designs. Works well on the coldest of Ontario winter days as well as in hot summers. Did try Fox's new synthetic RED which was confirmed by the selling bike store as perfectly fine in the above shocks and turned out not to be the appropriate which was Fox's new green non-synthetic. (Fox didn't made it easy or clear for anyone on this issue.) The syn RED was too thick and made for lousy damping and rebound. I don't know how it would work in the FIT designs. If you find that Peter guy's list of the various stats on potential oils this one is listed.
    Two years ago Canadian Tire carried it so it was widely available plus half the price of "fork or shock" oil. When serviced and drained looked better than the previously used oils and no swelling or other damage to the fork inners. Also for those TALAS forks I was able to use the needle inflator for a ball on the IFP using magic room air rather than nitrogen without any problems whatsoever, I might have cut the tip off the inflator so the tube was open ended rather than typically side opened.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Speed River Cycle in Guelph has fork/shock oil in a few weights if you are out that way, saw it the other day.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I've bought at both motorcycle shops and bike shops. Shouldn't be hard to find.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by pizon View Post
    Hey guys. Im in toronto, just wondering where is everyone getting their fork oil from. None of my local auto shops have it, tried canadian tire with no luck, and some online stores refuse to ship it because chemicals.
    So where can I get some????
    I'm surprised your local shops don't have it. I got a half bottle of the green fox fluid from my local shop last year. It's not cheap. Next time I''ll get something cheaper with the same viscosity. Google it. People use all different kinds of oil.

mtbr member
    Have most weights 2.5-15 in stock @ Cycle Solutions 615 Kingston Rd. If you don't want to buy 1L bring a small clean dry container to fit what you need and we will measure it out and pro-rate it. 416-691-0019.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by veteran_youth View Post
    Have most weights 2.5-15 in stock @ Cycle Solutions 615 Kingston Rd. If you don't want to buy 1L bring a small clean dry container to fit what you need and we will measure it out and pro-rate it. 416-691-0019.
    sounds cool, might drop by since you guys are on my way home

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by veteran_youth View Post
    got mah oil, you guys rock

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Just ordered some Maxima 5wt oil from a shop in Oakville.

$18/QT. Motorcycle Enhancements (Motorcycle Enhancements - V-Star 1100 Remote Oil Filter Relocation Kit, Custom Cruiser Accessories)

mtbr member
    I bought my fork oil (motorcycle fork oil recommended by Manitou) at Royal Distributing.
    '10 Hardrock Sport Disc