Thread: FYI-GO Transit

2WD
    Rides like a girl

FYI-GO Transit

Just read this in the paper today-
    "Go Transit is making room for 2-wheelers, mounting bike racks on buses and giving them shelter at stations.
    Noting an increase in bicycle traffic at GO stations of more than 20% in each of the past 2 years, board members yesterday approved a $225,000 contract for installing bike racks on all buses, beginning with services on the Hamilton corridor.
    The board also okayed a $2.5 million contract to create covered bicycle storage areas at each rail station, starting with prototypes at Lisgar, in Mississauga and Ajax stations by early summer.
    A staff report forecasts continued growth in bike use as GO traffic increases, customers look for alternatives to driving to the station and municipalities add bike lanes and improve sidewalks near stations."

mtbr member
    Awesome, about time they incorporated bike friendly service on the Go Buses.

sproket buster
    Oct 2007
    Good news!!!

But still no bikes on GO trains and Union station during rush hour service time.
    I would like to have a bike rack in the last wagon of the GO Train for us bikers to use any time of the day. Now that would be a nice GREEN idea!!!

Cheers!
    Live to ride, ride to live... out of Mississauga.

MTB: Cannondale HT--------Pavment: Specialized Sirrus

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fizol
    Good news!!!

But still no bikes on GO trains and Union station during rush hour service time.
    I would like to have a bike rack in the last wagon of the GO Train for us bikers to use any time of the day. Now that would be a nice GREEN idea!!!

Cheers!
    Having to get off at exhibition stn and ride into the city is just another excuse to clock in a few km's I don't mind the Union rule so much, just good to see them trying to be a little more bike friendly with their other services.

MTB Rider
    Aug 2004

Hope

Quote Originally Posted by fizol
    Good news!!!

I can't imagine trying to negotiate the stairs in the morning or afternoon w/ a bike & all the lemmings trying to get by you.

It's bad enough when I'm heading to the subway from Union going against the flow.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Side note: We can bring bikes on the subway correct?

sproket buster
    Oct 2007
    Yep, you can bring bikes onto subway. But not allowed during rush hours.
    Live to ride, ride to live... out of Mississauga.

MTB: Cannondale HT--------Pavment: Specialized Sirrus

mtbr member
    And trust me, you don't want to be on the subway with a bike,,,during rush hour. It has happened to me (after 6:30 pm they let you on), but it was still busy. People give you the dirtiest looks. It would be nice if there was a bike friendly subway car. I think something like that would encourage more people to take the subway into the city and ride around from the suburbs.