Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: veteran_youth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    750

    Fullseatheightsausagesuitclippedinonegearracerboy EPIC FLUKE

    I don't see how it could have been anything but a fluke with all that going against me. Log slightly larger than 29" tire.

    Photo credit Rick M., who I rewarded with a jaunt on a trail that landed him in emerge'.






















  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: want to ride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    338

    photoshopped....

    No way a "lycra wearing" rider can do such thing....

    Amazing job!!

  3. #3
    GAME ON!
    Reputation: saturnine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,971
    well played, sir. well played.
    RIP Adam Yauch

    "M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

  4. #4
    Ms. Monster
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,761
    It's like a clinic in how to shift your weight. Nice!

  5. #5
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,858
    Wow! Well done! /claps

    That's easily twice as big as any tree I've even attempted.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

  6. #6
    ups and downs
    Reputation: rockyuphill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    13,913
    Riding over large obstacles is just like Douglas Adams described flying, where you throw yourself at the ground and miss. As long as no one tells you it's impossible, it's all doable.

    I first saw Bruce Spicer ride a log like that in a 1997 Episode (#12) of Ride Guide. I watched that again and again trying to break it down and it always looked like magic.

    Congrats on two things: pulling it off, and having photographic evidence on hand.
    Last edited by rockyuphill; 10-07-2011 at 06:56 AM.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    124
    Nice!! Looks like you used your chainring to get yourself over than final bit... One of the things I've most enjoyed about mountain biking is that I'm still, after many years of riding, surprising myself at what I can get up, down and over on a bicycle.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,860
    Quote Originally Posted by want to ride View Post
    No way a "lycra wearing" rider can do such thing....

    Amazing job!!
    He's pretty good at that. I was riding with him on the local trails this summer when we came to a log that was close to 2' high, I took the bypass around it, he hops right over it like it's not even there.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: veteran_youth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    750
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    I first saw Bruce Spicer ride a log like that in a 1997 Episode (#12) of Ride Guide. I watched that again and again trying to break it down and it always looked like magic.
    OMG, on a complete tangent, I remember Bruce also made some appearances (maybe co-hosted) a show on CBC called 'Cycle!' in the mid-90s. The main host was a pretty, light-skinned black lady and it was sponsored by Cap's bicycles who aired low-budget commercials during the show. Does anybody else remember this? I almost feel like I am fabricating the memory, though I probably have some faded VHS evidence somewhere.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: veteran_youth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    750
    Quote Originally Posted by aerius View Post
    He's pretty good at that. I was riding with him on the local trails this summer when we came to a log that was close to 2' high, I took the bypass around it, he hops right over it like it's not even there.
    Haha, I still appreciate the well intentioned advice to 'go right!' even if I ignored it. This log was definitely a bit bigger than the one in E creek though. I think this successful sequence was attempt #4, definitely not first-try-blind territory.

  11. #11
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,858
    Quote Originally Posted by veteran_youth View Post
    ... definitely not first-try-blind territory.
    One of the most memorable successful bunny hops I ever executed was around a blind corner at full speed over a deer carcass. Reach for the sky and pray for the best!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

  12. #12
    Ms. Monster
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,761
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    One of the most memorable successful bunny hops I ever executed was around a blind corner at full speed over a deer carcass. Reach for the sky and pray for the best!
    I believe the exact phrase is reach for the sky and try not to die!

  13. #13
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,858
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdgirl View Post
    I believe the exact phrase is reach for the sky and try not to die!
    That's only if you're trying to pull a triple during a stage race.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: veteran_youth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    750
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    One of the most memorable successful bunny hops I ever executed was around a blind corner at full speed over a deer carcass. Reach for the sky and pray for the best!
    But hey, if you didn't make it, it probably would have been your most memorable endo.

    My best "OH SH__" hop was probably on my beater fixie coming down Spadina. Was looking over my shoulder at my GF riding behind me to make sure she got through the light at Queen, but noticed that she was motioning frantically for some reason. When I turned around I realized why, there was a HUGE (18"?) chunk of styrofoam in the middle of the road directly in my path, and I was too close to avoid it. I managed to get my F wheel up and steam roller the back wheel over, but I swear my life flashed before my eyes.

    If I could trade this photo-sequence for any visual evidence of that foam hop, I would do it in a second!

  15. #15
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,083
    Quote Originally Posted by veteran_youth View Post
    OMG, on a complete tangent, I remember Bruce also made some appearances (maybe co-hosted) a show on CBC called 'Cycle!' in the mid-90s. The main host was a pretty, light-skinned black lady and it was sponsored by Cap's bicycles who aired low-budget commercials during the show. Does anybody else remember this? I almost feel like I am fabricating the memory, though I probably have some faded VHS evidence somewhere.
    Yep. It was based out of the old Knowledge Network studio in Burnaby. Channel 4 on your Vancouver cable package. The shop scenes where filmed in the Sapperton store.

    Bruce did the skills component.

    on another tangent... Bruce on a bet rode a cross bike over a VW Bug. While drunk and cleaned it.

  16. #16
    No. Just No. Moderator
    Reputation: Circlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,643
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    on another tangent... Bruce on a bet rode a cross bike over a VW Bug. While drunk and cleaned it.
    The big question is whether the Bug belonged to someone they knew, or if it was a random Bug just sitting parked somewhere by an unsuspecting owner?

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,644
    Sweet log hop.

    Back in the day we used to do a clipped in j-hop all the way onto the top of a pic-nic table.

    I won some random prize at Bromont once doing the full table hop in front of a crowd. Can't remember the whole thing but some guy was doing wheelies and beat him with the table hop thing.

  18. #18
    g3h6o3
    Reputation: PissedOffCil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,708
    I did that once at Bromont, early season. It was a group ride, everybody was stopping to pass the tree and having been starting riding trials I thought of giving it a try. So I trackstand until I get a clear way and then go. I must admit I really got scared when I got to the tree so I pulled on the handle bar, bunnyhopped as high as I could, putting all my trials knowledge to contribution. I cleared the log, my big chainring dug in the tree. I feared going OTB at that point but gave a quick pedal stroke. The chainring was deep enough in the tree that it rolled over it and by shifting my weight back with the forward impulse still driving me, I landed clear on the other side. I went on as if nothing happened but **** my chamois along the way!!! When we stopped later down the trail, my friend comes to me and says : "Wow, that log clearing was stunning"
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

  19. #19
    Is it winter yet?
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    242
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    Riding over large obstacles is just like Douglas Adams described flying, where you throw yourself at the ground and miss.
    I'm a huge fan of Douglas Adams. I'm a huge failure at riding over things. I'm ridiculously good at throwing myself at objects, and succeeding.

  20. #20
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,083
    Quote Originally Posted by veteran_youth View Post
    I don't see how it could have been anything but a fluke with all that going against me. Log slightly larger than 29" tire.

    Photo credit Rick M., who I rewarded with a jaunt on a trail that landed him in emerge'.





















    I say it was either photoshopped or a stunt/ body double was found.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,860
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    I say it was either photoshopped or a stunt/ body double was found.
    You raise a valid point. None of the photos have a clear view of his face, obviously this was done to conceal the fact that a stunt double was used.

  22. #22
    sock puppet
    Reputation: osokolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,511
    nah, he's got his gnome face on... i know him. he can do it.

  23. #23
    humber river advocate
    Reputation: singlesprocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,027
    so does this mean we can build features on trails?
    Support TORBA
    Sunnyside Bike Park Working Group
    Albion Hills Conservation Area Master Plan Public Advisory Committee

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: veteran_youth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    750
    Quote Originally Posted by singlesprocket View Post
    so does this mean we can build features on trails?
    You can do whatever you like! Although somebody might get mad if you start felling 3' diameter trees just for my benefit.

    I have no problem with features. I ride them, and enjoy them, and this includes things that I know that you (SS) have built specifically. What I don't like is the feature cycle:

    1) Feature built on alternate line, ususally cutting out length/elevation change
    2) Much trail widening at point of feature as people turn around to session and friends stand around watching
    3) Feature rots and/or is removed for some other reason
    4) People b---- and moan about how easy the trail is now

    I have no doubt that if this log was in a well ridden area it would have multiple bridges built over it already and/or be built into a ramp with smaller parallel logs. I guess this is cool as it would make the section passable to anyone capable of riding in a straight line. Personally though my preference is a monstrous physical challenge. I realize that I'm probably riding stuff like that in the nth percentile, and if this fell across the ridge I wouldn't expect it to last too long. But I think other feature advocates should also be aware of the percetile that they are riding in and treat the trail accordingly. (i.e. not unnecessarily filling the cut-out in a log with junk to make it impassable, when the 'tech' line remains exactly unchanged right next to it. Are they trying to preserve the trail or save themselves from their own inevitable laziness?)

  25. #25
    humber river advocate
    Reputation: singlesprocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,027
    i'll only fell a 3' dia tree if i have permission or if it is a real hazard. i don't think logs should be removed from the trail. i prefer a jump built over with a roll out on the other side (you can ride it both ways). if you have to lift your bike over, so be it. good features take time to build and require as much armoring as any singletrack in the don or the humber. there is a few of us that understand this and knows what works (for all riders). imba is a little bit slow to understand this concept (yeah i'm going to get flak) and not the ultimate authority here in eastern canada (even though they proclaim to be). the local builders have alot of knowledge to share about the land and their knowledge needs to be respected and preserved. one of the concerns i have is that the features will get ghettoized in skills parks. i prefer to ride features on the trails any day.

    Quote Originally Posted by veteran_youth View Post
    You can do whatever you like! Although somebody might get mad if you start felling 3' diameter trees just for my benefit.

    I have no problem with features. I ride them, and enjoy them, and this includes things that I know that you (SS) have built specifically. What I don't like is the feature cycle:

    1) Feature built on alternate line, ususally cutting out length/elevation change
    2) Much trail widening at point of feature as people turn around to session and friends stand around watching
    3) Feature rots and/or is removed for some other reason
    4) People b---- and moan about how easy the trail is now

    I have no doubt that if this log was in a well ridden area it would have multiple bridges built over it already and/or be built into a ramp with smaller parallel logs. I guess this is cool as it would make the section passable to anyone capable of riding in a straight line. Personally though my preference is a monstrous physical challenge. I realize that I'm probably riding stuff like that in the nth percentile, and if this fell across the ridge I wouldn't expect it to last too long. But I think other feature advocates should also be aware of the percetile that they are riding in and treat the trail accordingly. (i.e. not unnecessarily filling the cut-out in a log with junk to make it impassable, when the 'tech' line remains exactly unchanged right next to it. Are they trying to preserve the trail or save themselves from their own inevitable laziness?)
    Last edited by singlesprocket; 10-08-2011 at 07:14 PM.
    Support TORBA
    Sunnyside Bike Park Working Group
    Albion Hills Conservation Area Master Plan Public Advisory Committee

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Max. HR from 190 to 228? Fluke or possible?
    By precar in forum XC Racing and Training
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-14-2009, 02:52 AM
  2. Bontrager Jersey price fluke?
    By holden in forum Vintage, Retro, Classic
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-22-2009, 07:58 AM
  3. Fluke hub cone adjustment? Help needed!
    By James8101 in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-01-2008, 04:50 AM
  4. Tough time for resale or just a fluke?
    By Swami Scott in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-21-2007, 06:02 AM
  5. broke a mavic nipple seat: fluke or problem?
    By icegeek in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-12-2005, 07:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •