Workin for the weekend!

Fork/shock Service - SW Ontario

Where is a good place to take my suspension parts for service and/upgrade here in Southern Ontario? Looking for someone of similar calibre to what Push Industries provides, want a local shop so I'm not sweating sending parts over the border for a few weeks...

Thanks in advance...

Todd

Dorkimus Prime
    Todd, I'm looking forward to seeing the answers to this query, as I've never had a shock or a fork serviced before. I have played with fluid weights myself which does make a difference. I know Jason the Owner/Operator of http://hammercitycycle.com has a reputation of being one of Hamilton's top Technicians and he services suspension components. He'd be the first place I'd call.
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

mtbr member
    If you have a Fox/Rock Shox fork or shock a basic seal service/new oil are not too difficult to do. I don't know if I would say ANY shop could perform the work for you but if they made the representation that they could do it, they'd probably need to give you a reason to doubt them, because it is pretty straightforward.

I work at a shop doing the preceding jobs quite a bit, and while messy and tedious, I generally feel pretty good about the value proposition for both the shop and customer.

If somebody brings in a newish Marzocchi shock (fork), it is usually because something is wrong with it. If this is the case, I will generally try not to do the work in-house and rather send it to a service centre, because it is simple not time or cost efficient to disassemble a fork, try to diagnose what is wrong, try to order small parts that may or may not be in stock and/or production anymore, and see if my guess was right on the customer's clock and dime. I'd much rather be able to defer that responsibility to an authorized service centre so that when the part is not in stock I can say "hey, there is ONE place in Canada (okay, 2) whose job it is to work on that fork and they don't have your s---, don't blame me for being incompetent this is clearly not my fault".

Same would go for Magura, DT, Specialized Brain, etc. Basically anything that is not Fox and Rock Shox.

Manitou would have fit into the above category until a few months ago, but now they have NO Canadian distribution or service centre, so I will just turn away any work on their stuff period. Don't want to be the last guy to touch something that is irreparable by virtue of lack of product support.

If you want something like the work Push provides, send it to Push. I know that there are some local service providers who claim similar services, but Push is Push, and quite frankly if anybody local was anywhere close in expertise or scale you would already have your stuff shipped to them and wouldn't be asking for a reasonable facsimile on mtbr. Now cue a bunch of people telling me about great local suspension tuners, but see above warnings about not having access to proper OEM parts for suspension work and make damn sure that isn't the case with whoever you decide to take your stuff to. Also consider that AFAIK very few non-factory service centres are able to nitrogen charge (and thereby, revalve) a rear shock, so no point in doing anything above basic seal service on most Fox rear shocks unless sending to Push/OGC.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Don't have to ship over the border. Heard good things from guy's out west.

SuspensionWerx | 2013 info@suspensionwerx.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I used SuspensionWerx last winter to have my Fox F29 Terralogic completely overhauled and the experience was great. Shipping from Ontario was something like $20 each way and the service was about $180 if I remember correctly. This included:

- new bushings
    - new seals
    - bath oil
    - damper service etc.

As mentioned above, changing the bath oil and seals is a simple maintenance job for most shops or home mechanics. Servicing the actual damper, changing bushings etc. is usually best left to a specialized service centre with the right tools.

SuspensionWerx was great. They were always very quick to respond to emails and answered any questions very well. Top notch service and no border hassles.

'11 Opus Strat
    How close are you to Stratford?, Totally Spoked are AMAZING at servicing/rebuilding shocks/forks.
    Quote Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
    I'm surprised you could hear her complaining over the sound of the vacuum.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    Don't have to ship over the border. Heard good things from guy's out west.

SuspensionWerx | 2013 info@suspensionwerx.com
    True, they are great,but.....they do NOT work on Rockshox products
    Anyone with over 1000 posts needs to go RIDE instead......

No. Just No. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ale50ale View Post
    True, they are great,but.....they do NOT work on Rockshox products
    They did a bang up job servicing a Reba for me back into what felt like brand new condition.