mtbr member
    Apr 2008

First trail ride, EVER . . .

Hi all,

So, now that my girlfriend and I have bought our bikes, and taken them on the road . . . we are looking for some suggestions for a "First ever trail ride!" Nothing too hard, just something to get us going . . .

Any suggestions? We're in the Halton region.
    AM
    --------------
    Ontario, Canada
    --------------

Keep pedaling...
    Apr 2008
    I'm in the same boat - if you hear/find something, let me know!

mtbr member
    Before you go to ride,go and buy"Rider Mel's Mountain Bike Guide to Ontario".
    That book is very realistic guide to most of the trails in Ontario,it helped us a lot.
    You can plan your rides by difficulity,distance from your home,etc.
    It gives you a good descriptions about the trails,fees,everything.
    One more thing:
    Have fun!!!

rad to the power of sick
    Quote Originally Posted by want to ride
    Before you go to ride,go and buy"Rider Mel's Mountain Bike Guide to Ontario".
    That book is very realistic guide to most of the trails in Ontario,it helped us a lot.
    You can plan your rides by difficulity,distance from your home,etc.
    It gives you a good descriptions about the trails,fees,everything.
    One more thing:
    Have fun!!!
    Second that.

Kelso, and Hilton Falls are in the Halton region.

Hilton falls has lots of fireroad which is good stuff to wean into mountain biking. Kelso also has some good stuff as long as you avoid the 'extreme trail' which might be beyond your grasp as beginners.

Keep pedaling...
    Apr 2008
    I'm thinking I'll head to Hilton Falls this weekend to check it out. There's no way it won't be dry after this week. Right???

I'll be there nice and early - excited to get started with this sport!

Space for rent...
    Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626
    I'm thinking I'll head to Hilton Falls this weekend to check it out. There's no way it won't be dry after this week. Right???

I'll be there nice and early - excited to get started with this sport!
    Hilton is usually very quick to dry out, so I think you will be good to go. It has trails that good for both beginners and those who require more of a challenge. Other than a very short climb at the beginning, it it is very flat.

To the OP, most towns have good network of footpaths that are a great place to start. Once you become more comfortable with your bike and your fitness levels increase, you can venture out onto the real trails. I second both Hilton and Kelso as great places that anyone can ride. Get out and explore them both. If you get to a section that looks above your skill level, there is no shame in getting off and walking that section.

Enjoy...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    It's only pain......

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks all . . . some great suggestions.

I heard that Hilton was a great spot to begin, you people just confirmed it. I've hiked there before, but didn't think about biking back then.

Sucks, 'cause I might not be able to get out until the weekend after this one, have to head out west (Vancouver/Calgary) for work . . . wish I could bring the bike! I'm hurtin' for some action! The good thing about this is that the trails may be in better condition when I get back!
    AM
    --------------
    Ontario, Canada
    --------------

mtbr member
    www.conservationhalton.com now says Hilton Falls is open as of today (first time I've seen the trails closed at HF in a long time), so you're good to go. Did some riding at Waterdown last night, trails are in pretty good shape, a few boggy spots but things are drying up pretty well.

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    It's been a long time since I've ridden there, but I recall the Guelph Lake trails as being quite fun for the beginner trail rider. I think GORBA www.gorba.ca does some all-level group rides that could introduce you to some new trails.

Keep pedaling...
    Apr 2008
    I just spent the past 2 days riding around the Hilton Falls area - tried the intermediate single-track trail there, but spent more time off the bike than on it it seemed. Probably not the best choice for a first-timer. I also went over the handlebars once, although I was not going fast so it was more of an embarrassment than anything else. Luckily nobody was around to see it... Today I just stuck to the main hiking trail (Orange), which was a lot more fun and interesting. I was able to actually look around and enjoy the park instead of constantly looking down at annoying rocks and roots.

I'd recommend anyone just starting out go there and check it out, but bring a GPS if you're unfamiliar with the area. I also scoped out some crown land areas nearby, but didn't go riding. I'll check 'em out later this week when nobody is there. I really need to find something that is free.

So far, I'm loving my new summer sport!

bi-winning
    annoying rocks and roots....

So far, I'm loving my new summer sport!
    I think the rocks and roots might start to grow on you after a while. Happy trails.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Yes,those singletracks are required good balance and handling.
    I think Albion hills and Coulson hill is lot better to begin with,altough I don't have any info about the conditions there.
    If distance is no problem Fanshawe lake is a very good option,you dont't have to worry about root finding,the trail goes around the lake.
    It's a bit far,but you can make a day out of it.
    Guelph Lake is good too,almost no rocks at all.

Keep pedaling...
    Apr 2008
    Well, the rocks/roots aren't that bad, just got to the point where I couldn't keep going on the bike for any sustained period of time. Still had a lot of fun though, and even today I could tell I was getting better. Just need to get the balance straightened out with the new bike, that's all.

My ass is sore though - I'm seriously considering a pair of riding shorts...

mtbr member
    Where are all you newbies from? Maybe we can arrange a group ride.
    Dan
    Ontario, Canada

2007 Cannondale Scalpel 1
    2005 Cannondale Rush 1000
    2004 Cannondale Chase

Keep pedaling...
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ddakin
    I'm at Derry Road / Winston Churchill. I'll probably head back out to Hilton Falls after work tomorrow. I'm thinking I should just get a Halton season pass. $7 a day can get expensive.

mtbr member
    Wait until you ride Kelso. You'll never want to go back to Hilton Rock Falls. That's my opinion anyway. But I'm more into fast flowy singletrack than rock gardens :P
    Dan
    Ontario, Canada

2007 Cannondale Scalpel 1
    2005 Cannondale Rush 1000
    2004 Cannondale Chase

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Bought Rider Mel's book! Awesome read for newbies like me!

I think we're going to hit Albion Hills next weekend, it's close by. And, according to the book, it looks like a good place to start. Hope the trail conditions are good by then!
    AM
    --------------
    Ontario, Canada
    --------------

mtbr member

worth it

I'm at Derry Road / Winston Churchill. I'll probably head back out to Hilton Falls after work tomorrow. I'm thinking I should just get a Halton season pass. $7 a day can get expensive.

If you plan on riding Kelso and Hilton, the yearly pass it really worth it. (approx $100 = 14 rides) And your money goes towards keeping the trails open for all (even the ones who dont want to pay ) But Im not here to judge.

Best thing about the pass, if you carpool, everybody is covered in your vehicle with the pass.

Have you checked out challenge park and the surrounding area? CP is a great place to learn some basic obstacle clearing. They used to have a really nice teeter set-up, but it got torn down or stolen (dont know).

Was at C.P this weekend and cleared the zigzag log ride on the first attempt, then unable to duplicate again...damn brain thinking too much!

Let me know if you want to hook up for a ride...

"ddakin Where are all you newbies from? Maybe we can arrange a group ride."

ddakin...great idea,

Cheers

mtbr member
    Albion hills will be a different experience,specially if you peek into the singletracks to....
    Lot smoother,but much more climbing..,not too longs tough,but climbing
    That book is a blessing,last year we rode 19 different singletrack as we followed the book.
    We spent our long weekends on our bikes all over the places.
    I can't wait for the first one

Keep pedaling...
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ddakin
    I'll be hitting Hilton Falls after work on Thursday (weather permitting) - should be there before 6pm. Nothing crazy, just a nice evening ride.

Also Monday afternoon I'll probably go either there or Kelso if anyone wants to hook up.

I always keep a few cold ones in a cooler at the car, if that provides any incentive...