Muskoka

First off-road '08: Torrance Barrens (pics)

Ya gotta love it!! Torrance Barrens. Nowhere else in Muskoka are you gonna get off-road like this mid-April after a winter with 500cm (16.4ft) of snow (the most in Ontario btw). Phoned friends today to ride but everybody was working for a living. But Cathy M. was up for it so...perfect!! First order of business was getting there 'cause the road is flooded. So pushing a pretty good wave with the WRX, here we go...

Last edited by BlackCanoeDog; 04-18-2008 at 05:32 PM.

Avenger of Evil
    Nice Pics.
    Gotta love the slick rock for early spring rides.
    Famous Last Words....."Hey, watch this!!"

Nice day for a ride.....
    Awesome!!!! Great pics, looks like it was an excellent ride. I can't wait to get out riding now. Lucky healthy people hahaha.
    How many KM is the Torrance Barrens trail? Looks like it would be interesting to check out while I'm in the area this year. How far from Buckwallow?

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by RatchAttack
    Awesome!!!! Great pics, looks like it was an excellent ride. I can't wait to get out riding now. Lucky healthy people hahaha.
    How many KM is the Torrance Barrens trail? Looks like it would be interesting to check out while I'm in the area this year. How far from Buckwallow?
    The Barrens is about a half hour west from Buckwallow. If you are just finding it for the first time it will probably take longer to sort out where you are going. Its off of the Old Southwood Rd. There is about 15K in there, some of which is not bike friendly so we just bypass that(easily done). About 11K of great trail with nice flow, but lots of riding and fun potential off trail also. Its about 90% rock so you can ride almost anywhere. About 1.5 -2 hrs completes a comfortable ride (not hammering) with some stops for pics and taking in the scenery etc. Best to ride the Barrens from April to early June, then from about mid August until the snow comes. Mid summer the deer flys are horrendous in there and you would not have a good time -trust me. If you do a search of this forum under "Barrens" you should find lots of my pics and info from last season.
    Last edited by BlackCanoeDog; 04-19-2008 at 04:23 AM.

Nice day for a ride.....
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanoeDog
    The Barrens is about a half hour west from Buckwallow. If you are just finding it for the first time it will probably take longer to sort out where you are going. Its off of the Old Southwood Rd. There is about 15K in there, some of which is not bike friendly so we just bypass that(easily done). About 11K of great trail with nice flow, but lots of riding and fun potential off trail also. Its about 90% rock so you can ride almost anywhere. About 1.5 -2 hrs completes a comfortable ride (not hammering) with some stops for pics and taking in the scenery etc. Best to ride the Barrens from April to early June, then from about mid August until the snow comes. Mid summer the deer flys are horrendous in there and you would not have a good time -trust me. If you do a search of this forum under "Barrens" you should find lots of my pics and info from last season.
    Cool, thanks for the info. I'm hoping to make a trip up to Buckwallow this spring and am considering giving the Barrens a ride while I'm up there since I'll most likely be doing a 3-4 day trip and riding trails in the area.

mtbr member
    Hey Eric , let me know when you are making this trip .
    I may be interested in going .

Nice day for a ride.....
    Quote Originally Posted by ccaddy
    Hey Eric , let me know when you are making this trip .
    I may be interested in going .
    Sure thing Craig
    I'm thinking doing Buckwallow, The Barrens, maybe some of Hardwood Hills all in one trip. I'll let you know when its happening.

Muskoka

a few more from today...

and yes, the road is still flooded.

Nice day for a ride.....
    Even more awesome pics!!! Looks like alot of fun, I'm going to do a ride there this year for sure. It almost looks like riding along on the moon
    Great pictures, as usual BlackCanoeDog! You got me dying to go riding now.

Student
    Great pics guys.
    [SIZE="3"]The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash. ~Julie Furtado[/SIZE]

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by RatchAttack
    Sure thing Craig
    I'm thinking doing Buckwallow, The Barrens, maybe some of Hardwood Hills all in one trip. I'll let you know when its happening.
    If you feel like having someone play "guide" for The Barrens, pm me at the time. I would be happy to oblige. Work = Mon-Thu, so most Fri,Sat, & Sun I'm out on the trails .

Nice day for a ride.....
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanoeDog
    If you feel like having someone play "guide" for The Barrens, pm me at the time. I would be happy to oblige. Work = Mon-Thu, so most Fri,Sat, & Sun I'm out on the trails .
    Awesome, I'll let you know when I plan on coming up your way.