Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    veldrijder

Firemen's Park Cross

Yes, this is a mtb forum but I know many here in EC race cross as well, and I can't pass up another opportunity for shameless promotion. I know I am already expecting a few of you which is great. I'd like to spread the word for those who may be on the fence or otherwise unaware of what is up.

All of the details can be found at the race website and in the tech guide linked there. Registration is open on the OCA website and closes at midnight on Thursday, though day-of registrations will be accepted at +$5

The course should be really nice. It's more of a "mtb" course than a "roadie" course but really the intention is not really either, but that it favours a good cross racer. Everyone should have fun regardless.

We'll have great fair-trade, organic, locally roasted coffee being brewed onsite by the Coffee Peddler as well as water and light snacks. There is a covered area in view of most of the course so you can camp out and watch your friends/family without having to go very far.

The prize list is looking really great. So far some of the highlights include:
    • WTB Laserdisc Trail wheelset (26") !!
    • Canadian Cycling Magazine subscriptions
    • Helmets/gloves/etc
    • Lots of cash (depending on numbers, but better than average)
    • These awesome t-shirts:

Come on out to have a chance at the above. I am thinking the WTB wheels may be a draw prize so you don't have to podium to go home with those. The shirts will be going to various places as part of the prize package but extras (if any) will be available for sale as well.

bi-winning
    Fireman's Park is a nice venue for a CX race. I'll be there.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    HCC is bringing out our CX team to both races this weekend. If GM is wearing his jersey on Sunday, we'll be 3 strong and strutting around like we own the place.

I'm pretty excited about giving CX a try. I have a feeling I am going to learn the meaning of haste and discover a new type of pain.

Tonight is bike prep night. Time to take the bottle cages off, maybe give myself a dutch name.

Hope the leg is feeling better by Saturday.

veldrijder
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor View Post
    I'm pretty excited about giving CX a try. I have a feeling I am going to learn the meaning of haste and discover a new type of pain.
    Yes, it hurts no more or less than other kinds of racing, but take all the pain of a 90 minute XC race, condense it into 40 and that's about right. Then for those of use who race 60 minutes, it's the same level of hurt for 20 minutes longer.

Yeah CX is awesome.

Hope the leg is feeling better by Saturday.
    Indeed! Heal quickly

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor View Post
    HCC is bringing out our CX team to both races this weekend. If GM is wearing his jersey on Sunday, we'll be 3 strong and strutting around like we own the place.
    There may even be more than three since that's how many we had at many races last year.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Lemmy Rules!
    I would have loved to do this. If only it did not clash with Paul's Dirty Enduro. I guess you can't race everything (although Garage Monster did give it a good shot last season).

I am targeting early October for my first foray into cx. Any suggestions?
    Strava made me do it....

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    The Hillbilly Hustle is awesome and it would give you a teeny taste of what Provincials was like. The weekend after that is Durham and I've heard good things about it although I've never done it.

Toronto comes after that and it's always super-competitive. For full effect, do both days!
    It will probably be Durham for me, as Hillbilly Hustle is the same weekend as a certain group ride of which you may know, and I doubt I will be able to do both.
    Strava made me do it....

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    The Hillbilly Hustle is awesome and it would give you a teeny taste of what Provincials was like. The weekend after that is Durham and I've heard good things about it although I've never done it.

Toronto comes after that and it's always super-competitive. For full effect, do both days!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

All my faucets is Moen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    I'm going to recommend the Dundas Monster-cross as the first event.

veldrijder
    We had a big group out tonight for some hot laps on what should be about 80% of the course. It lacked a few turns that really need stakes and tape to execute, and we didn't have the barriers out, but it was about a 6 minute lap for the fastest and closer to 7 minutes for slower riders. The full course should see that go to 7.5 and 9-ish, but we'll see. It measured out at 2.5 km and I think the full course adds about 200-250 metres.

Evil Jr.
    So looking forward to Sunday (I know - this is about Saturday...)!

mtbr member
    Spit shined my CX bike last night. Drive train is sparkling (for my standards), changed out the cables, checked every thing over. All good.

Time to get dirty.

Wait...

St. Catharines, Ontario - 7 Day Forecast - Environment Canada

I don't usually like racing in adverse conditions, but for cross it just seemed like it would be fun.

veldrijder
    It's ok GM, any stoke for cyclocross is good with me.

It's true, the forecast is looking very dry. The course is riding very fast right now, and even loose in spots. I suspect tire choice will be a balance of speed against being able to rail some of the fast off-camber turns.

All my faucets is Moen.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoote View Post
    We had a big group out tonight for some hot laps on what should be about 80% of the course. It lacked a few turns that really need stakes and tape to execute, and we didn't have the barriers out, but it was about a 6 minute lap for the fastest and closer to 7 minutes for slower riders. The full course should see that go to 7.5 and 9-ish, but we'll see. It measured out at 2.5 km and I think the full course adds about 200-250 metres.
    Yes it does seem like a 5 lap race for the M3/S4 group.

I thoroughly enjoyed the course last night. Some different lines then I'm used to in that park with a few fun highspeed sections. Made the hills seem not to bad.

course will have everything; barriers, a run up, off camber, gravel and not 1 but 2 opportunities to fall in the water.

veldrijder
    Just a reminder that registration closes at midnight tonight at Ontario Cycling Association There will be day-of registration available.

Evil Jr.

veldrijder
    Looks like we've got a super strong elite men's field with some mtb representation in the form of Morka and Glassford for Trek Canada up against some of Ontario's best cross racers. I'm looking forward to the show (or in the case that I race, the pain train)!

Evil Jr.
    Cowbells are freshly waxed and waiting in the truck!

All I have to do now is choose a beer...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    Cowbells are freshly waxed and waiting in the truck!

All I have to do now is choose a beer...
    My brew of choice for 'cross this year is this surprisingly tasty effort from Amsterdam!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

veldrijder
    I have a couple bottles of this to try at home, mostly because of the clever name:

But what I am really looking forward to this autumn is the cases of Trappist ales I should be receiving today

Evil Jr.
    cases

I'm thinking it's going to be a bit chilly for a weiss. To kick the season off, I might just hit up the classic Duvel.

All my faucets is Moen.
    I have a couple bottles of this to try at home, mostly because of the clever name
    Where did you find that? I've been looking for it.

veldrijder
    Quote Originally Posted by thedumbopinion View Post
    Where did you find that? I've been looking for it.
    I got it in Oakville. I could be convinced to give up one bottle, as I really just wanted to try it.

All my faucets is Moen.
    I got it in Oakville. I could be convinced to give up one bottle, as I really just wanted to try it.
    Maybe to a volunteer who's going to help you pound stakes later today?

mtbr member
    have a great race kids. my season is over. came off the bike last night and apparently, as told by the doc, there is more than one way to dislocate your shoulder. who knew! (I'm a pro at the 'regular way' with over 50 repetitions and a surgery) glad nothing is broken though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast