mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Few pics from the Rock

They're forecasting 20+cm of snow overnight so I decided to go into work late and hit the trails for probably the final time this year (or until I get geared up for snow biking). We've had a lot of rain but everything froze up a couple of days ago. Sounds scary but it actually made for really good trail conditions. Trails are in the Southside Hills 5 minutes from downtown St. John's. Thought I'd share a bit of stoke.

Rare smooth and flowy section:

They put new towers in on the pole line last month and left the corridor a muddy mess. I was glad to find it frozen this morning. FYI, super tacky rubber isn't so sticky when it's -5.

Carnage from Hurricane Igor up ahead. This was totally impassable in the spring. A lot of hours with chainsaws got it open again.

One of my favourite quick descents. As usual way steeper than it looks and there are steep rolls (or drops) off the rock in the foreground and the other flat rock a ways below. Lots of people walk this one.

Another favourite section, though I'm not impressed that a cheater line has appeared on the left.

Rock work done 3 years ago is holding up nicely:

They call it "the Rock" for a reason:

Cheers,
    Mark

mtbr member
    Nice pics. Makes me miss riding on the east coast. Whole other experience.

I remember guys talking about the first freeze, even if the fall had been wet, it firmed things up, and was referred to as 'hero soil' and was cause to celebrate and get is some final dirt riding for the year.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Looks good! Haven't been up that way in years!

bi-winning
    Good stuff. Thanks for sharing.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor View Post
    Nice pics. Makes me miss riding on the east coast. Whole other experience.

I remember guys talking about the first freeze, even if the fall had been wet, it firmed things up, and was referred to as 'hero soil' and was cause to celebrate and get is some final dirt riding for the year.
    Conditions were fabulous this morning for sure. Too bad we're going to get dumped on tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by jduffett View Post
    Looks good! Haven't been up that way in years!
    There's a load of new trails up there. The old trail hardly gets any traffic these days as everyone takes the new trail on top of the ridge where it's largely dry instead of down below in the slop and muck. The new trail joins the old downhill section right above that steep descent to the pole line. Now that the snow is starting I'll get time to process all of my GPS tracks into a usable map. When I get that done, I'll post it.

namagomi
    Must be winter since the bugs aren't clouding out your nice pictures...

pin it
    I like your gnarly trails! It looks like a fun ride. Its true, pics (or even helmet cam) rarely capture the steepness of a hill... I believe you when you say its steeper and more technical than it looks in the pics. Nice bike too.

No. Just No. Moderator
    +1 to all above - your local trails look great!

Evil Jr.
    Oh, I love this shot!

It's almost as pretty as those "Visit NFLD" flyers they keep slipping in our Ontario newspapers!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik View Post
    Must be winter since the bugs aren't clouding out your nice pictures...
    This is true. Fall is often the best time of year to ride here. Lack of black flies and mosquitos is one reason why.

Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    I like your gnarly trails! It looks like a fun ride. Its true, pics (or even helmet cam) rarely capture the steepness of a hill... I believe you when you say its steeper and more technical than it looks in the pics. Nice bike too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    +1 to all above - your local trails look great!
    Thanks! If you're ever heading out this way and wonder whether you should bring a bike, the answer is yes! Loving the Tracer. The relatively slack 6" bike is the ideal ride for our trails.

Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    Oh, I love this shot!

It's almost as pretty as those "Visit NFLD" flyers they keep slipping in our Ontario newspapers!
    Thanks! Think of it as a "Visit NL" flyer for MTBers. I love watching people try to ride up that spine for the first time. Hell, I built the trail and I'm only about 70/30 for making it. It's actually a pretty tough move. Especially when it's wet, which is most of the time.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    We got 30cm of the white stuff yesterday so I guess I'm going to have to switch to winter mode now.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by L. Ron Hoover View Post
    We got 30cm of the white stuff yesterday so I guess I'm going to have to switch to winter mode now.
    Ha, I thought of your post as I read that in the newspaper today!
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

bi-winning
    We have our big Xmas tree lighting ceremony in the town square tonight and the temperature is going to be nearly 10C. lol.
    I'm going home this weekend to help light our family tree. I'm hoping to also get in a trail ride in the 11 degree temperatures they are forecasting for Saturday.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by L. Ron Hoover View Post
    We have our big Xmas tree lighting ceremony in the town square tonight and the temperature is going to be nearly 10C. lol.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
    Ha, I thought of your post as I read that in the newspaper today!
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
    I'm going home this weekend to help light our family tree. I'm hoping to also get in a trail ride in the 11 degree temperatures they are forecasting for Saturday.
    Yeah, we got hit pretty hard but those double-digit temps are going to filter their way east and reach us early next week, so there's hope that the snow will melt and I'll get another ride or two in...