Lemmy Rules!

A Festivus for the Rest of Us: The 3rd Annual MTBREC + Friends Holiday Ride (Dec 27)

Cpt. Sydor and I are putting the word out early this year....this has been a pretty well-attended ride in the past so we figured, screw the boxing day sales, leftovers and bad TV...we're going riding!

The ride will start at 9am at Cafe Domestique (11 Millers Lane in Dundas for the two or three of you who don't know) on December 27. Last year, about 20 of us did about 30km in pretty deep snow. The ride distance this year will depend on weather conditions, how many show up, and how hung over Cpt. Sydor and I are. Beers and grilled cheese sammiches to follow the ride at Cafe Domestique. Rumour has it that Garage Monster's new Porsche will be the sag wagon....
    Last edited by Unglued; 11-14-2013 at 09:12 AM.
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    I probably won't be hung over, but rather bruised and tired from raining blows down upon people as we fight for dolls during the boxing days sales.

I wish there was a better way.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor View Post
    I probably won't be hung over, but rather bruised and tired from raining blows down upon people as we fight for dolls during the boxing days sales.

Dare I ask what sort of dolls you're after? :O

We'll be up to our elbows in relatives from away that day but a trip to Domestique might be exactly what I'm looking for by then! :P
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Lemmy Rules!
    "Kruger, you couldn't smooth a silk sheet with a hot babe if.....lost my train of thought"

Strava made me do it....

Team NFI
    Mar 2007

I didn't know the Stag shop had such hot Boxing Day sales.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    "Kruger, you couldn't smooth a silk sheet with a hot babe if.....lost my train of thought"
    I'm going to use this ride to air all my grievances with you fellow ECMTBR'ers. Many of you have disappointed me this past year.

Lemmy Rules!
    I'm going to use this ride to air all my grievances with you fellow ECMTBR'ers. Many of you have disappointed me this past year.
    That's it. I'm changing the title of this thread.

Then we are moving on to the feats of strength
    Strava made me do it....

Lemmy Rules!
    Hmmmm....which bike to bring? Would really like to get out on the Blizzard, but then again I haven't ridden my Misfit in a while....
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Hmmmm....which bike to bring?
    Fat bike.

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by aerius View Post
    Fat bike.
    I don't have a fat bike! Stop tormenting me!!!!!
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Well you better buy one then before they all sell out.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Hmmmm....which bike to bring? Would really like to get out on the Blizzard, but then again I haven't ridden my Misfit in a while....
    The one you can stay on.

sock puppet
    umm, you realize that there are people around here who have to work for living?

27th is not a holiday.

Why not 26th pretty please?
    Signature

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    umm, you realize that there are people around here who have to work for living?

27th is not a holiday.

Why not 26th pretty please?
    It took you a month to realize the date?

sock puppet

A Festivus for the Rest of Us: The 3rd Annual MTBREC + Friends Holiday Ride ...

Why stating the obvious?

Still more than a week before the event.

Seriously. Is no one else working on Friday?

I gotta find a government job.
    Signature

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Why stating the obvious?

Still more than a week before the event.

Seriously. Is no one else working on Friday?

I gotta find a government job.
    It is a union mandated day off.

sock puppet

I got that. Unions and rich dont work on Friday.

Whats wrong with Thursday?
    Signature

Team NFI
    Mar 2007

Whats wrong with Thursday?
    Please note that the guide is busy that Thursday with something related to dolls.

sock puppet

Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    It is a union mandated day off.
    "Union mandated"???

LOL. That means no biking too? Union mandated no biking day!

We are doomed.
    Signature

mtbr member
    I got that. Unions and rich dont work on Friday.
    Why are you working then Mr. Carbon Beargrease with XX1?

Seriously though, I doubt we'd really find a great day, so we do what Unglued and I want.

This isn't a democracy FYI.

sock puppet

Umm i see. One percenters are jealous at my bike which i purchased using my hard earned middle class cash. Not tax payers money.

Sigh. One percenters and democracy dont go together in same sentence.

FINE!

AFAIC you can even sleep with Unglued after the ride. I dont care anymore.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Umm i see. One percenters are jealous at my bike which i purchased using my hard earned middle class cash. Not tax payers money.

Sigh. One percenters and democracy dont go together in same sentence.

FINE!

AFAIC you can even sleep with Unglued after the ride. I dont care anymore.
    I ain't jealous of your bike, wait till you see what is being shipped out this morning for me. Gonna make your panties drop.

And you don't hear me asking them to move crank the shield to summer cause I can't take days off in September, I just play hooky, so stop whining about your work ethic and move towards a bigger tit to suck off of.

sock puppet

I ain't jealous of your bike, wait till you see what is being shipped out this morning for me. Gonna make your panties drop.

And you don't hear me asking them to move crank the shield to summer cause I can't take days off in September, I just play hooky, so stop whining about your work ethic and move towards a bigger tit to suck off of.
    Bigger tit is always a welcomed option. Though you should watch your language more carefully if you dont want this thread binned. You know they are watching.

I dont drop my panties for nothing so whatever gets shipped for you this morning better be easily inflatable and the right proportions.

You heard me now.
    Signature

mtbr member
    I don't have a fat bike! Stop tormenting me!!!!!
    Did you not know that they grow on trees?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Festivus for the Rest of Us:  The 3rd Annual MTBREC + Friends Holiday Ride (Dec 27)-fat-tree.jpg  

BBB (big beautiful bike)

Lemmy Rules!
    Oggie we are all actually sorry you can't make it. Mine and Cpt's thinking was that most people would have the day off and/or would be able to play hooky that day given enough advance notice. We also figured that Boxing Day would not work for most. My bad.

BTW as you are apparently working can I borrow you Beargrease ? :-)
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    I thought that I had family stuff that day, but instead I will be working. Apparently Oggie and I are the only ones keeping the economy rolling.
    Burnt Norton

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    This isn't a democracy FYI.
    It is a moderately benevolent Dictatorship

But but...that is to stress full.......said a student.

And Unca Oggie... if you play hooky you might see the Samurai with something rarely seen....PED's.

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by secret agent View Post
    I thought that I had family stuff that day, but instead I will be working. Apparently Oggie and I are the only ones keeping the economy rolling.
    I hear that there will be a particularly virulent strain of the flu going around on December 27....
    Strava made me do it....

Team NFI
    Mar 2007

Evil Jr.
    "If you want to learn something new, read an old book."
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    "If you want to learn something new, read an old book."

Lemmy Rules!
    [QUOTE=osokolo;10885649

AFAIC you can even sleep with Unglued after the ride. I dont care anymore.[/QUOTE]

Been there.

Done that.

Overrated.
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    You guys crack me up! One day I hope to make it down to one of the rides, not because I love riding, but just to hear you guys go at it.

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by machine4321 View Post
    You guys crack me up! One day I hope to make it down to one of the rides, not because I love riding, but just to hear you guys go at it.
    If you don't show up on the 27th, we may end up just trash talking you in your absence.

Actually, who's kidding who....we will
    Probably just rag on Oggie
    Strava made me do it....

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Word is Unglued will be doing it wearing nothing but a Speedo and Embrocation.

sock puppet

Word is Unglued will be doing it wearing nothing but a Speedo and Embrocation.
    Speedo is optional.
    Signature

Lemmy Rules!
    Speedo is optional.
    I will be needing the speedo. Using the embrocation there would smart. At least thats what CptSydor tells me...
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    I am becoming less apprehensive about trying to get out for a ride with you guys for fear of not being able to keep up and developing a completely new set of reservations. On the other hand I Googled embrocation and learned something new and somewhat disturbing.
    Burnt Norton

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    I am becoming less apprehensive about trying to get out for a ride with you guys for fear of not being able to keep up and developing a completely new set of reservations. On the other hand I Googled embrocation and learned something new and somewhat disturbing.
    As Louda has attested and others. The correct order is Chamois Lube first, knee/leg warmers, and Lycra shorts before Embrocation. Unless of course you are into that sort of thing.

mtbr member
    I will be needing the speedo. Using the embrocation there would smart. At least thats what CptSydor tells me...
    Don't get that stuff near your junk. True story. Unless of course you are into that kinda thing.

mtbr member
    Fear not. I'll have a flask of 40 creek. After that, all your reservations will be set aside.

mtbr member
    See! That's precisely what worries me

I was actually trying to make it, but I have to work and I have family stuff as well that evening and next day. Apart from biking, I spend a lot of time over a pool table in tournaments and stuff. My wife is extremely understanding about the amount of time I spend out of the house.
    Burnt Norton

Team NFI
    Mar 2007

I was actually trying to make it, but I have to work and I have family stuff as well that evening and next day. Apart from biking, I spend a lot of time over a pool table in tournaments and stuff. My wife is extremely understanding about the amount of time I spend out of the house.
    Time to worry is when 14 Stone and Unglued both show up on their No Gears specials.

mtbr member

Too bad you can't make it. Unglued spends a lot time over pool tables as well, just not sure if it's tournaments or not.

mtbr member
    And in all seriousness. Most everyone here has met through MTBR and forged some great friendships through rides like this.

We really are harmless, we like to joke, have a beer and do a little riding. Everyone is welcome on these rides, slow, fast, flats, baggies, clipped, unicycles, fatbikes. There are only two things we don't like: Cyclists that are intolerant of other cyclists and triathletes.

Lemmy Rules!
    Too bad you can't make it. Unglued spends a lot time over pool tables as well, just not sure if it's tournaments or not.
    B@st@rd! You said you wouldn't post anything about that
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    I don't like where all these unguents, lotions and booze lead to. I must not be advanced enough yet, cause all the lube I have is for the bike. And to think I was going to invite unglued for a ride at the Credit and for a couple of games back at my home table.
    Burnt Norton

mtbr member
    I don't like where all these unguents, lotions and booze lead to. I must not be advanced enough yet, cause all the lube I have is for the bike. And to think I was going to invite unglued for a ride at the Credit and for a couple of games back at my home table.
    Unglued has been to my home and dropped trouser in the basement, always being a proper English gentleman. But in that regard, if it's not a snooker table, he'll likely decline, I would guess to him, 8 or 9 ball is just uncivilized and best left to the peasants and serfs.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    I smell fear.

mtbr member
    Used to play a lot of snooker at one time. It was a refined sport where everyone wore a vest. Now it is almost strictly a money game played by degenerate gamblers.
    Burnt Norton

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Too bad I work. One of these days I will make it down. Its a bit of a haul but you guys seem "worth it"

Lemmy Rules!
    We are totally worth it...

Well, except for Enduramil. He's a former triathlete so we treat him with suspicion
    Last edited by Unglued; 12-20-2013 at 04:36 PM. Reason: To mock Enduramil
    Strava made me do it....

Lemmy Rules!
    Unglued has been to my home and dropped trouser in the basement, always being a proper English gentleman. But in that regard, if it's not a snooker table, he'll likely decline, I would guess to him, 8 or 9 ball is just uncivilized and best left to the peasants and serfs.
    I've dropped trou in classier joints than your basement.

And SA that sounds awesome although I am rusty as all heck at pool and will likely end up being thoroughly schooled...
    Strava made me do it....

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    We are totally worth it...

Well, except for Enduramil. He's a former triathlete so we treat him with suspicion
    It is a long term sabbatical due to marriage, kid, and injury.

Unglued doesn't talk about it but he has apparently done some triathlon racing before his conversion to all things bike.
    Last edited by Enduramil; 12-20-2013 at 06:47 PM.

mtbr member
    I've dropped trou in classier joints than your basement.
    Well I've dropped trou is seedier places. Wait.....probably shouldn't have said that.

mtbr member
    Just hiked through some of the local singletrack. It certainly made out way better than other areas from downed branches. There was barely anything to clean up. We should have the makings of a pretty descent ride through the valley.

Fatbikes will have a definite advantage, but any bike will do just fine for a fun winter adventure.

If anyone is on the fence, come on out, this is gonna be fun!

mtbr member
    Just got back from a 2 hour recon ride with Osokolo and RiotMTB. 2 fatbikes and a skinny tire bike with studs. Fatbikes had a major advantage to smooth out the trails (especially downhill), but RiotMTB was doing just fine on the double track. In the singletrack where it was softer, the fatties excelled, but RiotMTB made it through without major issue. We'll have a few fatties out, so if we run them up front, they'll smooth out singletrack making it a lot easier on everyone. But overall, it will be just fine for any bike. This is a winter adventure, not a training ride.

Lemmy Rules!
    Hypothetically speaking could a 22 year old rigid bike with cantilevers make it? Hypothetically?
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Have fun tomorrow.

Next time think "weekends"

mtbr member
    Hypothetically speaking could a 22 year old rigid bike with cantilevers make it? Hypothetically?
    Oggie did it on a 2014, 27lb carbon fatbike with XX1. I think you got this on the Blizzard

mtbr member
    Have fun tomorrow.

Next time think "weekends"
    Yeah, sorry about. Most of our rides are on weekends, we just presume most people are as lucky as us this time of year.

It will go to the round table at this years AGM. I'll send around the minutes.

Lemmy Rules!
    Oggie did it on a 2014, 27lb carbon fatbike with XX1. I think you got this on the Blizzard
    Curse you Oggie! It is settled-I am going retro...
    Strava made me do it....

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Well.. just to help your motivation. Back in 97 after a Vancouver snowstorm a bunch of us road through the unplowed streets of Van. And as Circlip by now can attest it's crappy snow aka West Coast Concrete and plowing? PffttttWhat is that? So if we can ride the untracked crud you can ride the tracked down by the die hard walkers.

With that, mechanical tip for brakes of that era. Emery cloth your rims before the ride. Will improve the braking of the museum of fear brakes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Haven't been out for awhile but this ride looks like fun so I am gonna try to make it out with a couple of friends.

sock puppet
    you guys are in for a real treat tomorrow. get your arses out and enjoy the adventure. doesn't matter what you are riding. the course is awesome. if i could - i would have been out tomorrow too. but alas... someone has to pay for my 2014 27 pound carbon fat bike. and it ain't Unglued.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Signature

mtbr member
    I too have to pay for a my carbon fat bike and unfortunately am working today.
    Burnt Norton

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    I too have to pay for a my carbon fat bike and unfortunately am working today.
    You mean the money and parts just don't happen?

mtbr member
    Unfortunately, I am not talented enough to have companies throw bikes and components at me(not at dig at the Captn and all the power to him). I once bought a set of brand new brakes off a downhill racer that was sponsored by SRAM, but the bike he got had Shimano. He had tons of brand new components either given to him or taken off due to sponsorship deals. Old, slow guys just don't seem to have that kind of sponsorship. In a few years maybe I can get the Zoomer TV people on board.
    Burnt Norton

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Unfortunately, I am not talented enough to have companies throw bikes and components at me(not at dig at the Captn and all the power to him). I once bought a set of brand new brakes off a downhill racer that was sponsored by SRAM, but the bike he got had Shimano. He had tons of brand new components either given to him or taken off due to sponsorship deals. Old, slow guys just don't seem to have that kind of sponsorship. In a few years maybe I can get the Zoomer TV people on board.
    Yep. Though have found that now days that am a more keep it on the ground rider less stuff is offered to the scrap dealers.

Speaking of work. Since one of the assistant coaches is unable to travel have to drive part of the team to the airport. Does driving and Chaperoning 18 Queens students count as work?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Awesome ride today. Thanks!

Lemmy Rules!
    The Blizzard might just have been the wrong bike. But it looked good....
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    The crew from today. Great ride.

I apologize for the flat at the start of the ride, then popping out my brake pad, causing another 5-10 minute delay.

mtbr member
    Just to clear things up. Ain't no body throwing parts or bikes at me. I was fortunate enough to secure a deal on my bike this year and great shop support, but that has way more to do with me having a presence at events and being a part (hopefully productive) of the cycling community. This includes, but not limited to being involved with the organization of events such as this, as minor as they seem. I don't think I've got anything 'free' ever for riding my bike, not even close. I get some good deals, which I'm sure savy people could match with enough net surfing . It is a passion however and I do devote much of my disposable income to (and sacrifice in many other aspects), not to mention pick up a lot of extra contract work to help support my habits.

Also, I'm lucky enough as well to get time off this part of the year. I'm blacked out from taking vacation days for almost half the year. To just take part in Crank the Shield last year, requiring me to take a Friday off, I had to call in huge favours, something I won't do again. Though in general, I'm pretty lucky with my job and freedom.

Anyway, I wasn't offended or took it as a dig, but just wanted to make it clear, I ain't getting free stuff thrown at me, nor afford not to work.

mtbr member
    This is your holiday ride on a 20 year old blizzard, and then your holiday ride on a fatbike. Notice who's smiling. Nuff said.

mtbr member
    As soon as I posted that, I realized it could be taken the wrong way. I also realize that not many people get stuff just thrown at them. It is usually hard earned through a lot of work and time.
    Burnt Norton

Lemmy Rules!
    I was smiling on the inside. And my bike looks cooler. And notice who is in front (at least in the picture...)
    Strava made me do it....

Lemmy Rules!
    As soon as I posted that, I realized it could be taken the wrong way. I also realize that not many people get stuff just thrown at them. It is usually hard earned through a lot of work and time.

I was thinking about this. I am also on a race team, and am fortunately enough to through that have access to some pretty decent deals as well. But I didn't get to be in this privileged position by being fast. Don't get me wrong - I don't completely suck on a mountainbike, but on the OCUP circuit, I'm mid pack in the Sport category, even on a good day. So two years ago when I was invited to join the Dukes/Cannondale race team, my initial thought was "isn't aptitude a pre-requisite?"

I went to the initial info session and found myself in a room full of skinny, athletic-looking types talking about their off-season training and felt a little out of place. But as it turns out, Dukes/Cannondale is not just looking for podium-bound racers. They are looking for people who are going to be good ambassadors for the sponsors and the store, who are going to mentor less experienced riders from the Lapdogs, and to lead rides. Now this is all stuff I can do, and like Cpt., any benefits I have received through my affiliation with Dukes, Cannondale and Lapdogs have come from showing up, pitching in, and being part of the scene.

And now, 2 years later, I have lost 20lb, improved my fitness, and am enjoying riding (even in the middle of the Sport pack) more than every before...

So, Secret Agent, get out there and ride your bike, meet people, maybe join a club and help out a bit with your local trails, and you will be amazed the doors it opens.
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks for the ride. First time in the Dundas Valley. What a beautiful area. Amazed how it managed to avoid the ice storm damage.