Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

A Festivus for the Rest of Us: The 3rd Annual MTBREC + Friends Holiday Ride (Dec 27)

4K views 77 replies 11 participants last post by  bob stickers 
#1 · (Edited)
Cpt. Sydor and I are putting the word out early this year....this has been a pretty well-attended ride in the past so we figured, screw the boxing day sales, leftovers and bad TV...we're going riding!

The ride will start at 9am at Cafe Domestique (11 Millers Lane in Dundas for the two or three of you who don't know) on December 27. Last year, about 20 of us did about 30km in pretty deep snow. The ride distance this year will depend on weather conditions, how many show up, and how hung over Cpt. Sydor and I are. Beers and grilled cheese sammiches to follow the ride at Cafe Domestique. Rumour has it that Garage Monster's new Porsche will be the sag wagon....:D

#3 ·
I probably won't be hung over, but rather bruised and tired from raining blows down upon people as we fight for dolls during the boxing days sales.

I wish there was a better way.
Dare I ask what sort of dolls you're after? :O

We'll be up to our elbows in relatives from away that day but a trip to Domestique might be exactly what I'm looking for by then! :p

#21 ·
A Festivus for the Rest of Us: The 3rd Annual MTBREC + Friends Holiday Ride ...

Umm i see. One percenters are jealous at my bike which i purchased using my hard earned middle class cash. Not tax payers money.

Sigh. One percenters and democracy dont go together in same sentence.

FINE!

AFAIC you can even sleep with Unglued after the ride. I dont care anymore.

#22 ·
Umm i see. One percenters are jealous at my bike which i purchased using my hard earned middle class cash. Not tax payers money.

Sigh. One percenters and democracy dont go together in same sentence.

FINE!

AFAIC you can even sleep with Unglued after the ride. I dont care anymore.
I ain't jealous of your bike, wait till you see what is being shipped out this morning for me. Gonna make your panties drop.

And you don't hear me asking them to move crank the shield to summer cause I can't take days off in September, I just play hooky, so stop whining about your work ethic and move towards a bigger tit to suck off of.

#25 ·
Oggie we are all actually sorry you can't make it. Mine and Cpt's thinking was that most people would have the day off and/or would be able to play hooky that day given enough advance notice. We also figured that Boxing Day would not work for most. My bad.

BTW as you are apparently working can I borrow you Beargrease ? :)

#42 ·
:eekster:See! That's precisely what worries me:eekster:

I was actually trying to make it, but I have to work and I have family stuff as well that evening and next day. Apart from biking, I spend a lot of time over a pool table in tournaments and stuff. My wife is extremely understanding about the amount of time I spend out of the house.

#45 ·
And in all seriousness. Most everyone here has met through MTBR and forged some great friendships through rides like this.

We really are harmless, we like to joke, have a beer and do a little riding. Everyone is welcome on these rides, slow, fast, flats, baggies, clipped, unicycles, fatbikes. There are only two things we don't like: Cyclists that are intolerant of other cyclists and triathletes.

#48 ·
Unglued has been to my home and dropped trouser in the basement, always being a proper English gentleman. But in that regard, if it's not a snooker table, he'll likely decline, I would guess to him, 8 or 9 ball is just uncivilized and best left to the peasants and serfs.

#56 ·
Just hiked through some of the local singletrack. It certainly made out way better than other areas from downed branches. There was barely anything to clean up. We should have the makings of a pretty descent ride through the valley.

Fatbikes will have a definite advantage, but any bike will do just fine for a fun winter adventure.

If anyone is on the fence, come on out, this is gonna be fun!

#57 ·
Just got back from a 2 hour recon ride with Osokolo and RiotMTB. 2 fatbikes and a skinny tire bike with studs. Fatbikes had a major advantage to smooth out the trails (especially downhill), but RiotMTB was doing just fine on the double track. In the singletrack where it was softer, the fatties excelled, but RiotMTB made it through without major issue. We'll have a few fatties out, so if we run them up front, they'll smooth out singletrack making it a lot easier on everyone. But overall, it will be just fine for any bike. This is a winter adventure, not a training ride.

#68 ·
Unfortunately, I am not talented enough to have companies throw bikes and components at me(not at dig at the Captn and all the power to him). I once bought a set of brand new brakes off a downhill racer that was sponsored by SRAM, but the bike he got had Shimano. He had tons of brand new components either given to him or taken off due to sponsorship deals. Old, slow guys just don't seem to have that kind of sponsorship. In a few years maybe I can get the Zoomer TV people on board.

#69 ·
Yep. Though have found that now days that am a more keep it on the ground rider less stuff is offered to the scrap dealers.

Speaking of work. Since one of the assistant coaches is unable to travel have to drive part of the team to the airport. Does driving and Chaperoning 18 Queens students count as work?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.