Bloodied but Unbowed

Feeler: Visiting Lion's Head area

I will be in the Lion's Head area for just a few days and am just sticking the toe in the proverbial water to see if a ride is a possibility. Not looking to do anything epic or too lengthy mostly due to time constraints. I won't have a bike with me and will only be able to bring minimal gear if I can hook up a ride. Plus, there's the better half to contend with, needing to convince her that I really need to get a ride in.

Are there MTB rentals in the area? The escarpment looks like it has a lot to offer.

PM if you wish. Again, just seeing if this is worthwhile pursuing.

Thanks!

Sweet Monkey Tuesday!
    Mountain Bike The Bruce | Mountain Bike Trails, Freeride, and home of the Adventure Park In Bruce County

For your sake I hope I'm wrong here - but I believe the closest bike shop is in Owen Sound - which if you need to get there for a rental and have limited time to ride the trip to and from there from Lion's Head could rule that option out.

I haven't been to the Bruce Bike Park (between Lion's Head & Wiarton at Purple Valley Road) in a few years now - I understand all the man-made stuff has been removed - but the trails wind through some pretty bizarre limestone formations and still promises some good rock gardens in a fairly small package - good for limited time.

If you're not familiar with the area - keep in mind that North of Wiarton I think the rattlers outnumber humans - not an issue but something to be aware of.

Bloodied but Unbowed
    Quote Originally Posted by Biff Pedachenko View Post
    Mountain Bike The Bruce | Mountain Bike Trails, Freeride, and home of the Adventure Park In Bruce County

For your sake I hope I'm wrong here - but I believe the closest bike shop is in Owen Sound - which if you need to get there for a rental and have limited time to ride the trip to and from there from Lion's Head could rule that option out.

I haven't been to the Bruce Bike Park (between Lion's Head & Wiarton at Purple Valley Road) in a few years now - I understand all the man-made stuff has been removed - but the trails wind through some pretty bizarre limestone formations and still promises some good rock gardens in a fairly small package - good for limited time.

If you're not familiar with the area - keep in mind that North of Wiarton I think the rattlers outnumber humans - not an issue but something to be aware of.

Thanks for the repsonse. That's good information about the MTB park. I found it on the map and know right where it is. Sounds like it may be worth trying out on a limited time budget.

Owen Sound would be a bit if a trek to pick up a sled so maybe I will check if there's a possibility of borrowing a ride. So far I have not found MTB renatls in Wiarton. If it won't come together, no worries, but I am used to riding 3-4 times a week and going a week without a ride is...well...scary! Plus, it'd be cool (literally, it's way over 100F here of late!) to ride in a different place.

I have seen a fare number of Massasauga rattlers having spent about five years of my youth in N0H 2T0, but I do appreciate the reminder. We've got a fair number of them here in AZ. They definitley need to be respected in their own habitat.

Thanks again!

Sweet Monkey Tuesday!
    Ah, didn't check you were coming from AZ - so you'd certainly be more familiar with snakes than the average rider from Southern Ontario

I'm on the other side of Georgian now, so I don't spend much time over there, but most of my family can be found between Hepworth and Wiarton. But I'm not aware of a bike shop anywhere North of Owen Sound - even the hardware store doesn't seem to stock inner tubes anymore (which I found out after a flat and bad valve in my spare) - I also don't know any riders up that way, so can't even help you out there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I've been through Wiarton many times en route and not seen a trace of a bike shop there so probably no luck on rentals there. In case you haven't been back for a while, the BIG news in Wiarton is the new Horton's. Thorncrest outfitters with a satellite location in Tobermory claims to rent bikes but their website thorncrestoutfitters.com isn't very informative, and it's only marginally closer than Owen Sound.

Bloodied but Unbowed
    I did track down a AM/FR hardtail but it is likely a large which might be a stretch for me. My desire to take a few hours out of the schedule to ride may not be realized after all, however.

My last trip up there I spent a lot of time pondering all the potential riding as we drove between Wiarton and Tobermory and around the general area. Maybe this time I will actually scope out those options in preparation for a better planned cycling venture in the future.

I did check out the suggested thorncrestoutfitters.com site, thanks. Looks like one would have to contact them for more details. Looks like driving to either Owen Sound or Tobermory is likely not an option this time around to rent a bike for a few hours.

Thanks for all of your feedback. It would have been fun to check out some trails, but perhaps it needs to be another time.