Thread: Fatcountry

Team NFI
    Mar 2007

mtbr member
    Thanks for posting, that is exactly the kind of adventure I have been looking into doing here in Ontario.
    Fatbikepack to a cabin, warmup around wood stove, cook some gourmet meals, chat with friends, sip on some whiskey and bike out at the end of the weekend.

Now where to find the perfect cabin destination ?
    Adam

Workin for the weekend!
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Hustler View Post
    Thanks for posting, that is exactly the kind of adventure I have been looking into doing here in Ontario.
    Fatbikepack to a cabin, warmup around wood stove, cook some gourmet meals, chat with friends, sip on some whiskey and bike out at the end of the weekend.

You gotta talk to BlackCanoeDog, I'm sure he's got a got idea for you...

mtbr member

One of the easiest is to book a yurt in Algonquin pp Algonquin Yurts or Silent Lake pp. Silent Lake Yurts this one has the wood stove.
    BBB (big beautiful bike)

mtbr member

Au Diable Vert

A bit of a drive, but this place looks awesome. Tough call is always would the conditions be okay for fatbiking (and would they allow them). Though, seeing as fatbiking and snowshoeing/skiing are complementary to conditions, if you access is available to all equipment (shoes are easy to rent), just make a game day decision.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by temporoad View Post
    One of the easiest is to book a yurt in Algonquin pp Algonquin Yurts or Silent Lake pp. Silent Lake Yurts this one has the wood stove.
    Ooh, has anyone here tried a yurt? I've always been interested.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    Ooh, has anyone here tried a yurt? I've always been interested.
    I haven't but I plan to. I have had friends who have done it, they really liked it. There are electric heaters in the yurts at Algonquin and a heated comfort station with showers. At Silent Lake you have wood heat an out house, some potable water, water for washing and a BBQ on the deck. The people that went to Silent Lake said it would be great for fat biking.
    BBB (big beautiful bike)

mtbr member
    Great suggestions guys, a few good options, still kind of looking for something a little more rustic.
    Found something around the Temagemi area a while back, people would snowshoe ( insert snowbike here)in for a few hours, staying overnight at the rustic cabin ( no electrical or running water)
    And finishing the loop back to the car the following day.
    Adam

mtbr member
    still kind of looking for something a little more rustic.
    "More rustic" I'll give ya more rustic. Load your bike up head to the closest groomed snowmobile trail ride in 10km park walk into the bush set up your tent. no running water no electricity no can, just you and nature at it's best. And you don't have to go far to get it.

Hay maybe that's what I'll do.
    BBB (big beautiful bike)

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I have used the ones at the Pinery. They are FANTASTIC. It would be a great place to Fatbike as well.

cyberbully
    Quote Originally Posted by temporoad View Post
    "More rustic" I'll give ya more rustic. Load your bike up head to the closest groomed snowmobile trail ride in 10km park walk into the bush set up your tent. no running water no electricity no can, just you and nature at it's best. And you don't have to go far to get it.

Hay maybe that's what I'll do.
    3 of us took a trip out to algonquin for winter camping, without bike tho

awesome hearing the wolves in the crisp winter air.

Drive up the 400
    Fatcountry-01.jpg
    Fatcountry-02.jpg
    the walk in, pulling sled with gear
    Fatcountry-03.jpg
    porkchops
    Fatcountry-04.jpg
    Fatcountry-11.jpg
    defrosting the beers
    Fatcountry-05.jpgFatcountry-06.jpgFatcountry-07.jpgFatcountry-08.jpg
    tents under the pines
    Fatcountry-09.jpg
    me hand feeding the grey jays
    Fatcountry-10.jpg
    ice skating oval
    Fatcountry-12.jpg
    ...a truly skeptical position would be a very uncertain one.
    -Rupert Sheldrake

Evil Jr.
    Oh, that looks awesome!

Question: What is the temperature rating on your sleeping bag and was it sufficient?
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

cyberbully
    i had a summer bag on the inside, a winter bag rated to -20C (which it got to at night), then a thicker summer barrel bag on the outside. i forgot my pad, so i used some rubber mats, sandwiched my large tarp between them and was toasty warm. a bag liner would have been nice, but the only condensation that formed was inside my tent and a bit around the outside summer barrel bag (I used a 3 season tent - 4 season tents are a bit thicker and can take snow load better from what i learned- not necessary if you tarp your summer tent with steep angles so the snow load comes off-which was my plan-good weather made that unnecessary).

the ratings on bags are survival ratings, not comfort ratings, thats why i went gangbusters with three bags (2 would've done the trick, imo). plus it was my first time winter camping so i didn't want to take any chances.

we're doing this again next year, for longer, we didn't get to build a sweatlodge, and cut a hole in the lake as planned, nor did i build a quinzee to sleep in.

alternative to the yurts mentioned above, algonquin has backcountry cabins you can rent for about $50/d in the winter, which would be cool to trek into. we paid $10/per person per day, super cheap winter getaway. with enough people the cabins would be cheaper.
    Last edited by SkidVicious; 02-25-2013 at 09:22 PM.
    ...a truly skeptical position would be a very uncertain one.
    -Rupert Sheldrake