Muskoka

Fatbikes featured in Muskoka Magazine

Haven't picked up a copy yet to read the article or see the pics, but here's the cover

bi-winning
    Random reaction: I'd be tempted to not wear a helmet for the style of riding pictured.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Heh, it looks like they're all wearing jeans. That's almost exactly how I looked like 10 years ago when I was still doing winter rides, except they have nicer jackets.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aerius View Post
    Heh, it looks like they're all wearing jeans. That's almost exactly how I looked like 10 years ago when I was still doing winter rides, except they have nicer jackets.
    Cotton = death
    I see people XC skiing in jeans and I just think about how much more they would enjoy it with proper clothes that don't get wet and freeze.

Muskoka
    Well at least one is on flats & the other is clipless...so that's covered
    The jeans is a result of how the photoshoot happened. The call went out about 9 am on a Sat morning that this magazine wanted to do an article on these"fat tired bikes that are poppin' up around Muskoka". Mike from Buckwallow called everybody and asked us to meet at the Bike Shop by 10 am. I happened to already be out on a ride when I got the call so I was properly attired and just rode over to the shop to meet everybody... but I'm tucked in behind Brandon so not visible in the cover shot. Everybody else grabbed their bike and came as they were. Irregardless, all these guys have been around cycling for so long they are well beyond any tippy-touch-black rules regarding fashion.
    Last edited by BlackCanoeDog; 12-04-2011 at 05:15 AM.

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
    Random reaction: I'd be tempted to not wear a helmet for the style of riding pictured.
    Most of us are riding streets/sidewalks to get to the lake or trailheads. That said, last March I was riding Devil's Gap Trail and rode across a frozen puddle covered with a skiff of snow. Not a big deal, done it many times and unavoidable anyway. I was laying on the ground thinking "wtf just happened!??!" before I even knew I was going to fall! Turns out there was a root sitting proud of the ice, my tire hit it and kicked out to the side. Going down that fast, hard, and unexpected I could have easily smacked my head on the ice. Solo rider, miles from the trailhead let alone any medical aid. Fortunately my NEX-5 was not injured .
    I wear a thin lycra toque underneath my helmet, and if its really cold I have a thin lycra balaclava that I also wear. Works well.

humber river advocate
    good stuff, the fat bike is the only bike missing from my quiver...
    Support TORBA
    Sunnyside Bike Park Working Group
    Albion Hills Conservation Area Master Plan Public Advisory Committee

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I so want one of those bikes but I wonder where Id ride it.

Would they work in the Don? Do they climb ok?

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by singlesprocket View Post
    good stuff, the fat bike is the only bike missing from my quiver...
    its only a matter of time

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by Biobanker View Post

Would they work in the Don? Do they climb ok?
    They climb amazingly well!!

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by Biobanker View Post
    +1! I would definitely consider picking up one of these used, but my guess is that once someone gets one of these bikes, they tend to hang onto it a while...
    Strava made me do it....

Muskoka

a few more pics...

that's me on the left, properly attired (imo)and riding the Barney Zirple Purple Pugs.
    And that's Mike, owner of Buckwallow out front of me on the right

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanoeDog View Post
    that's me on the left, properly attired (imo)and riding the Barney Zirple Purple Pugs.
    And that's Mike, owner of Buckwallow out front of me on the right
    That's really cool to be featured in a magazine like that.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Muskoka

e-magazine

btw, anyone interested enough to want to read the article and see the rest of the pics can visit muskokamagazine.com and register for a 2 week free trial and then see the on-line edition.
    same issue also has an article & pics about one of the local nordic ski clubs.

Evil Jr.
    Totally cool!

I had considered doing the Iditabike for a while (Jill from Alaska was an inspiration) and of course, a fatbike is the only way to go there!

Now that I have the cargo bike, a fatbike is one of the few cycling sub-genres unrepresented in the Monster Garage. I can see myself on one in the next 5 years or *so*...
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    +1! I would definitely consider picking up one of these used, but my guess is that once someone gets one of these bikes, they tend to hang onto it a while...
    Used ones are scarce as hen's teeth, at least they were when I bought mine. However the Surly and other fatbikes have become available as complete builds in 2011. Prior to that you had to order parts and build them up yourself, or have a shop do it for you.
    So now that one can get a complete build in a bike shop or on line there will be impulse purchases that end up gathering dust and will eventually show up on the used market. Plus simply the growing number of these bikes out there is bound to help the used market too

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Nice photos.

Stosh
    If you happen to see my lungs back there, tell them I've gone on ahead.

Sweet Monkey Tuesday!
    Off Topic:
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    Jill from Alaska was an inspiration
    GM: have you read Ghost Trails, Jill's book on her trip on the ITI? Or, in my opinion even better, her new Be Brave, Be Strong on the Tour Divide? Be Brave took two sittings to read through, only because the work day fell in the middle of that

BCD: If you're not aware, Jill is the woman behind the Arctic Glass blog we talked about ages ago

On Topic:
    Showing up on the cover of a magazine is going to go straight to my head

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Biff Pedachenko View Post
    Off Topic:

GM: have you read Ghost Trails, Jill's book on her trip on the ITI? Or, in my opinion even better, her new Be Brave, Be Strong on the Tour Divide? Be Brave took two sittings to read through, only because the work day fell in the middle of that
    I've only read bits and pieces of her first book but was following here Iditarod blog. Mrs. Monster was keeping me up to date on her run at Divide.

On Topic:
    Contemplating acts of heroism and derring-do?
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Muskoka
    Off Topic:

BCD: If you're not aware, Jill is the woman behind the Arctic Glass blog we talked about ages ago

On Topic:
    I followed Jill's blog when she was in Alaska, as much for her photos as anything. She has a great eye!!..pity she was using such a crappy camera. But when she moved to Wisconsin and got into the running more I lost interest. Have not read her books though.

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanoeDog View Post
    I followed Jill's blog when she was in Alaska, as much for her photos as anything. She has a great eye!!..pity she was using such a crappy camera. But when she moved to Wisconsin and got into the running more I lost interest. Have not read her books though.
    You probably already follow it, but Mike Curiak (he of the bacon meatloaf and Iditarod fame) has a lovely blog: Big Wheel Building.

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdgirl View Post
    You probably already follow it, but Mike Curiak (he of the bacon meatloaf and Iditarod fame) has a lovely blog: Big Wheel Building.
    Yes!!! LOVE his stuff. I also enjoy Yetirides from Finland....
    Yeti rides