mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Fantastic Trail Building at Mt. St. Marie (Ottawa area)

I searched but am stunned to see no threads about this gem north of Ottawa. Its about an hour from downtown on a great little ski hill called Mont St. Marie. About 1500ft of vertical so its great in the winter (best in the region) but there is a group of active trail builders creating a phenomenal network of trails. I've ridden them the last 2 weekends (cottage close-by) and can't say enough good things.

So far they are being funded by various groups with the ultimate goal of about 75km of trail. Check them out and LIKE them (VeloMSM) on Facebook!

https://plus.google.com/photos/10329...ner=pwa&sort=7

Trails | Velo MSM

Fantastic Trail Building at Mt. St. Marie (Ottawa area)-bka96isciaacdn8.jpg

Fantastic Trail Building at Mt. St. Marie (Ottawa area)-p1080275.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fantastic Trail Building at Mt. St. Marie (Ottawa area)-p1080892.jpg  

rwmtb
    Hey thanks for the info! I skied Mont St. Marie years ago, great to see them branch out to Mountain Biking. I will add it to my list of destinations

pin it
    Cool flowy looking trails! Singlesprocket and I would like to swing by there on our way to Mont Ste Anne later in the summer.

Could you recommend a place to stay over/BB?
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    Cool flowy looking trails! Singlesprocket and I would like to swing by there on our way to Mont Ste Anne later in the summer.

Could you recommend a place to stay over/BB?
    The stuff they built on the lower end of the mountain is flowy fast and very FUN, but the trails higher up are technical with some stuff that gets pretty hairy.

As for accomodation, I beleive you can stay at the hill. There's some information on the website at velomsm.com, or, google Lac St. Marie. I know there are some places to stay in town, which will be 5 minutes from the trailhead.

All my faucets is Moen.
    Those look incredible. Thanks for sharing and kudos to the crew out there working.

mtbr member
    Rode there late last summer and had a blast. Already a great spot to head out for a ride, but if/when they get up to 75 km, it will be a nice destination for those a bit further away.

Nice mixture of trails as well. Stuff around the lake (as mentioned) was super fast and flowy and great for a post ride swim with the nice beach! The trail that descends (got to by spinning up an access road) was much different. Rocky, rooty and much more technical, but all easily doable.

pin it
    Quote Originally Posted by nth_dimension View Post
    The stuff they built on the lower end of the mountain is flowy fast and very FUN, but the trails higher up are technical with some stuff that gets pretty hairy.

As for accomodation, I beleive you can stay at the hill. There's some information on the website at velomsm.com, or, google Lac St. Marie. I know there are some places to stay in town, which will be 5 minutes from the trailhead.
    Thanks nth, for the info. Singleprocket and I ride DH every fall at Mont Ste Anne. This year we are also considering bring our AM bikes in addition to the downhill bikes. Mont Ste Marie looks like a good place to explore.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

sore member
    We try to make it to MSM a couple of times a year. The loop around the lake is fun. Fast and flowy; lots of climbing and descending; switchbacks; some exposure; great viewpoints. Take a fire road (Radar) road to the top to do Pilsner; a peak-to-peak trail; more technical; steep climbs and descents, then take Lager down; more steep; even more technical. There are great views from the top and on the way down.

An XC bike is good for a loop around the lake. I use an XC bike for Lager and Pilsner as well, although an AM bike would be more fun for those two trails.

It's beautiful in the fall and they run the chairlift Thanksgiving weekend.

We stayed at Mario's condo last time we went. Info is on the Velo MSM website. Mario rides and does trail work at MSM. Tell him about the trail work you do -- he might give you a good deal.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Looks like they are having an event up there this summer:

Announcing the Inaugural Velo MSM – Mountain Fest! | Velo MSM

I was there in the fall in October for the fall colours festival and had a great time. There is new trail getting put in all the time and plans are big.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by nth_dimension View Post
    Looks like they are having an event up there this summer:

Announcing the Inaugural Velo MSM – Mountain Fest! | Velo MSM

I was there in the fall in October for the fall colours festival and had a great time. There is new trail getting put in all the time and plans are big.
    Wow! Thanks for sharing, I will definitely need to head up there as soon as the snow melts! Trails look awesome.
    Will bring the kids to the Mountain Fest!

mtbr member
    Hey Guys! Thanks for posting the info about Mountain Fest! It's a big time fundraiser for the trails at Mont Ste Marie, with all profits going straight back into building more trails.

Word is slowly trickling out about it, and registrations are picking up.

In co-operation with the local Trips For Kids chapter recently added 2 kids races, in keeping with the family friendly nature of the festival.

Our industry expo is picking up. We already had Rocky Mountain and Xprezo confirmed with demos.

Now we have about 6-7 local shops who will be on hand, some with demos for more brands.

We should have the initial schedule of events out in the next week, with confirmation of the local shops.

The early bird pricing of the festival continues for one more month until April 30th, at which point the festival pass goes from $65 to $95.

If you have questions feel free to drop me a line!

Fantastic Trail Building at Mt. St. Marie (Ottawa area)-mountainfestposter_web1.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Anyone in Eastern Ontario or West Quebec that wants to hit great trails needs to check this place. Best in the region by far!