Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Fall Epic 8 Hour

Thought I would get a jump on this thread since today is the last day of August I have signed up to do this race solo, which will just happen to be my first 8 hour race going solo. So, I am looking for any helpful suggestions on how to tackle 8 hours of (hopefully) continous riding with pace, how often to eat, drink etc.

One thing I have been thinking about is the start. In past experience, if you are not at the very front you get stuck in a bottle neck even with the extra distance to try and spread out the riders, once you get to the single track. It is beneficial to start near or at the back and start with a nice easy pace in order to avoid the bottle neck?

Any help/guideance would be most welcome

bi-winning
    Don't start at the back. It's not that fun riding behind inexperienced riders when you are racing.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

All my faucets is Moen.
    I've done two summer solo's. Once starting hard to avoid the bottle neck and once taking it easy. I was much more successful starting off slow. There is plenty of time to make it up.

Of course the answer to that question usually depends on your fitness, what your pace will be and if you plan on being on the podium or just riding for 8hrs.

mtbr member
    I'm looking forward to this one again, I always like the fall 8 hour I this will be my 4th year doing it, and I am hoping for another podium for this one, but I have herd that there might be some pretty good riders coming this fall.

Trekbikes there is lots of good answers to your questions in the new nutrition forums and in the endurance forums, but my advice would be to drink more then you think you need to, eat while you do some training rides. use the start loop, you don't need to be out front but you don't want to be in the back either then quickly settle into your pace. I am still working on some of these things especially the pacing thing, I am still going out a little too strong, but it is soooo much fun to ride the trails fast.
    Rocky Element
    My Attempt at a Blog

Evil Jr.
    At the 8 Hours, I'm either on the podium or within spitting distance (4th or 5th) and I usually start around mid-pack. I figure that way I stay out of the way the team riders and generally avoid the worst of the riff-raff.

I would suggest getting into a routine for each lap regarding nutrition and hydration. Depending on the weather, I usually plan on a bottle every two laps and a shot from gel flask, half a bar and a perogy every lap.

At Hardwood, I always eat just after the transition zone and drink anytime I'm on level-ish double track.

Don't fall for your silly brain telling you you're not thirsty or hungry 'cause it's a trap!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

I Strava Hamburgers
    I'll be there as well.

I usually re bottle every lap, and have liquid calories on tap every two laps or so. At least that was my plan, and it was working last time :P

I usually like to start mid / back pack and work my way up.

Drink all the things too. Like GM said, your body will tell you that you're not thirsty. You should pre ride the course if you can and find drinking area's for yourself, then every time you hit it, you should put down a good amount of liquid. Even a little bit of dehydration can really ruin your day.

I'm not a podium rider and I'm mostly doing this for giggles, but at the same time I'm looking to put in a respectable ride of 8-10 laps. So if you're thinking about something like that, then just read up on hydration and calorie intake and you should be good to go.

See you there!

snowbound
    Jan 2005
    I usually start off mid pack and go hard the first lap - trying to stay ahead of most of the bottlenecks.
    For nutrition/hydration I drink about 1.5 bottles per lap - and those bottles are usually mixed with two scoops of Heed - so that I think is about 200 cal/bottle. In addition I have a gel per lap.
    My two favourite things during the race though, are, if I am really needing something solid, half a pb&j sandwich , and a cold mini can of coke after 5 or 6 dusty hours is super-refreshing.
    Good luck!

Lemmy Rules!
    I've done 5 8-hours solo now. I am not a podium rider generally speaking. I don't like to start too far back since like Garage Monster and 14-Stone, I am on a singlespeed which means momentum counts, and having to brake behind slower riders then grind up hills wastes precious energy. Actually, what I do on the starts is try and line up around where Garage Monster has situated himself (look for the steel orange Misfit) as he is pretty good at staging himself in the right spot.

Concerning nutrition, I have found that too many gels and energy drinks tend to upset my stomach, so I tend to eat real food during the race. Typically, I buy a bunch of tortilla wraps and make some up with banana and peanut butter, and others with smoked turkey, lettuce and just a little honey mustard. I also have oranges cut up into quarters. I eat something after every lap. The wraps come in handy because you can eat them on the go while riding after the transition zone.

For drinks, I don't use a camelbak as I don't want to haul the extra weight with me for 8 hours. i make up bottles in advance and go thru a bottle of eload, flatted, diluted coke or water per lap. I keep a flask of perpetuum mixed as a gel in my jersey pocket just in case I start to bonk or want a taste of something sweet, but don't use it much.

But that's just me. I learned what worked for me thru trial and error. There's only a few weeks until the race but if you can, try and go on some longer rides (even road rides) using what you think you might be eating at the race, and see how it sits.
    Strava made me do it....

Evil Jr.
    A note on pace: if you can't hold a conversation while you're riding a solo, you're riding too hard (or you're developing a bad attitude, ).

DO NOT get tempted into chasing rabbits. Develop a mental race plan and stick to it. Don't worry about what the other riders are doing: you only have control over your ride.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

All my faucets is Moen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    Actually, what I do on the starts is try and line up around where Garage Monster has situated himself (look for the steel orange Misfit) as he is pretty good at staging himself in the right spot.
    Since GM is always on the podium (or close to it) I suppose you could just follow him around all day then attack on the last lap.

sock puppet

winning advice ^^^

does't get any better than that.

Quote Originally Posted by thedumbopinion View Post
    Since GM is always on the podium (or close to it) I suppose you could just follow him around all day then attack on the last lap.

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by thedumbopinion View Post
    Tried that in the Spring Epic 8 but found I was unable to talk while so doing, so I backed off. Of course, GM called it a day at 5pm and I stayed out until 6.30, so in an unprecedented and possibly never-to-be-repeated event, I finished one place ahead of Garage Monster. It's fortunate I didn't get a flat, though, as I would still be out there now....
    Strava made me do it....

Evil Jr.
    Tried that in the Spring Epic 8 but found I was unable to talk while so doing, so I backed off. Of course, GM called it a day at 5pm and I stayed out until 6.30, so in an unprecedented and possibly never-to-be-repeated event, I finished one place ahead of Garage Monster. It's fortunate I didn't get a flat, though, as I would still be out there now....
    Ah, see now that was all part of my race plan and I stuck to it (...mostly, Mrs. Monster did force me out for one more parade lap, )! To that point, I'd only done a handful of rides all Spring (I think the 8 actually tripled my total distance on a MTB to that point) and I was intentionally limiting myself to 100km.

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    Ah, see now that was all part of my race plan and I stuck to it (...mostly, Mrs. Monster did force me out for one more parade lap, )! To that point, I'd only done a handful of rides all Spring (I think the 8 actually tripled my total distance on a MTB to that point) and I was intentionally limiting myself to 100km.
    Yeah, but it was still unprecedented and likely never-to-be repeated...
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Thanks everyone for their helpful hints and suggestions. One more question, I am not sure if I will have some support there to help, meaning I could very well be doing this all on my own. Has anyone else attempted this? If so, how did you deal with changing and filling bottles, getting food etc. without loosing too much momentum?

Evil Jr.
    If you're on your own, you can set up a nice little pit area in the shade just after the transition.

Prepare all your stuff in advance. If you think you'll need eight bottles, bring eight full bottles. Lay out all your stuff in a cooler for easy access. If you're eating bars, pre-tear the bags for easy opening once you're back on track. If you're on gel, I recommend using a flask and keeping fresh flasks with your bottles.

Every second you save in the pits is a second you don't have to "earn" on the trail.

mtbr member
    For a truly epic week-end, some friends are organizing a mass trip to Blue that w/e. Several are suggesting doing Blue on Sunday so they can race the eight hour on Saturday.

I don’t have enough adjectives to describe the boggling going on in my brain thinking about riding an eight hour and then hammering the thighs and core the next day doing downhill. But you folks are incredible athletes, so if this interests you please get in touch!

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by trekbikes View Post
    Thanks everyone for their helpful hints and suggestions. One more question, I am not sure if I will have some support there to help, meaning I could very well be doing this all on my own. Has anyone else attempted this? If so, how did you deal with changing and filling bottles, getting food etc. without loosing too much momentum?
    I've always done these things unsupported. The trick is to put your cooler RIGHT NEXT TO the trail. I also built a little widget made of a stake I can push into the ground, with a block of wood and three old bottle holders attached to it. That way, I can stick that into the ground, again right next to the trail, have three bottles ready to grab as I ride by without even stopping. Worked pretty well, as evidenced by the fact that this was the unprecedented and never to be repeated day that I came in front of Garage Monster.
    Strava made me do it....

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    I also built a little widget made of a stake I can push into the ground, with a block of wood and three old bottle holders attached to it.
    You can also purchase such things, if you're feeling less crafty than Unglued.

I Strava Hamburgers
    If you're going solo and you don't have support but want some, I'm pretty sure my friend who's tossing me bottles and stuff will help you along as well.

I pretend I'm racing. I have a long way to go before a podium, but if you're thinking about having a go at the podium, or putting in a really solid day, I don't mind sharing a support tent. Believe me, the extra work will keep my friend entertained.

During the Mansfield Epic 8, I was riding behind a solo female rider that I had seen around the course. This was 6 hours in. I started talking to her after I had heard her get upset with an aggressive rider who passed her on some single track, I figured if I shared a joke or 2 it'd help in some way.. I got around to asking her about support and how she was coping through the day. She said she didn't have anyone, and I actually got upset for her because I figure that would suck horribly.

Anyone doing a ultra endurance event should have at least 1 person to help.

So the offer is there
    Last edited by 14Stone; 09-02-2011 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Grammar not gud.

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 14Stone View Post
    Anyone doing a ultra endurance event should have at least 1 person to help.
    Pfft. Mr. Monster and I did Solstice solo last year with no support and it was fine. Having said that, Erick Auger's (perennial winner of 40+ solo) support crew totally stepped up and offered their help. They were so sweet, but I didn't know what to do with it!

I Strava Hamburgers
    Supporting each other doesn't count!

Wasn't saying its fact, just saying you should just in case kinda thing

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    14Stone, thank you very much for the offer and I may just take you up on the offer if my wife and kids can't make it. As for a podium, good question. Given this is my first solo 8 hour I am targeting 10 laps and see where the chips fall from there

Over the bars...
    Agreed on starting about mid pack around faces you recognize from other races. As far as fuel I tried many things and have settled on Perpetuem of 8 hours. Perpetuem in bottles and thick in a flask. I have a large meal approximately 2 hours before the race and a caffinated Powerbar gel 30 mins before also. Seems to work for me. I am not a podeum rider. Any other food plan i have used has eventually given me gutrot. Oh and I almost forgot lots of endurolytes and water!!

Evil Jr.
    And for goodness sakes, bring at least one beer for the end of the race. You'll have earned it!

mtbr member
    And for goodness sakes, bring at least one beer for the end of the race. You'll have earned it!
    +1
    My favorite part of 8 Hour Races is how good that beer tastes at the end of the day!
    Rocky Element
    My Attempt at a Blog

sock puppet
    Glorious Nucking Futs will be there to have fun and enjoy a beer or two with friends...

mtbr member
    For the love of God, what did I just do?

Haven't done a solo 8 (or 9) in a few years and haven't ridden my singlespeed at all this year.

For some reason, I decided signing up for the singlespeed category would be interesting.

Do I gear to survive or gear to try and place well?

This is going to hurt.

Who wants to carpool and drive me home?

I Strava Hamburgers
    For the love of God, what did I just do?

He's one of us now....

mtbr member
    Seeing as I just signed up for solo and have done a few previously, I will give my advice.

If you are looking to win, regardless of category, you go out with the fast guys on lap one. The top solo guys will lap with the fastest people first time around, then settle into their endurance pace. Building into your endurance pace by taking it easy on lap one will only put you behind by that much (essentially, don't give away time on lap one). It's also a little easier to chase by being on one's wheel, then chasing a ghost that's a few minutes ahead. Endurance racing has got to the point where it's close to being a sprint race, just bordering on keeping the body functioning (mostly digestive and hydration). Even though I've never stepped on the podium much in the solo categories, I have raced where I have out lapped 75% of teams, and can say it's close to OCUP pace (or my OCUP pace, which is why I don't have much success)

Now, depending where you want to finish,you can scale this all down. If this is your first solo, just give it a shot, set a lap goal, work on that.

Nutrition is the biggest issue. You are going to need calories, but you are not going to want to eat much after hour 3-4. Neutral substances that keep your stomach motivated, but not revolted is key. I have a big problem with acidic substances, learned that through time. I love fruit, can eat fruit on rides, but cannot race with fruit. I used to make fruit smoothies and race a few with them till I put two and two together. Picking a sports drink that also manages this require lots of trial and error. I've had success with eload and feel it's relatively neutral (and though never raced with, Heed seems to be the same, the big name drinks (gatorade, poweraide don't work best for me)

Depending on how hard you are going, your stomach will be in various places. This could include, screw anything, at which point you have to stomach what you know to be tolerable just to get calories, or I want food really bad, but only want chocolate chip cookies. Best advice is to bring things you really enjoy eating. Screw whether they are the best nutrition option (especially if you are just out to survive), bring things you know you will like eating and will be happy to shove down your throat.

Saying all of that, here is what I have found to be best.

1) I always have a bottle of eload. Depending on the temperature, I try to drink about a bottle of liquid per hour (minimum). It's a tough balance, too much will make you cramp in the stomach, not enough will make you cramp in the legs.

2) Gel. I take one per lap. Since I don't drink coffee, the caffeinated ones are very helpful in the later laps. If you are unsupported, a flask is very helpful.

3) I've tried a variety of things for getting in larger calories. Bars, shakes, etc, but my best results have been with mashed potato's. They ain't exciting, but if you are racing to do well, nothing is going to be enticing. You need to shove stuff down that works. I put the potato's in a baggy that I can rip open and down relatively easy. They are spiced up to my liking.

As far as unsupported goes, collect enough bottles so you don't have to refill is key (unless you have great friends like RKJ and jmoote). I've only done one 8 hour unsupported and likely will this time. For me, it would be 10 full bottles sitting along the course with 2 bottle cages. Stopping in the pits takes time and it's wasted time as mentioned.

I will carry (unsupported):

1) Flat/chain kit taped to my bike

2) 2 bottles, lasting under typical (fall) weather 1.5 - 2 hours

3) Gel flask lasting the same

4) 2 packs of mashed potato's

I will take gels every lap, potato's every other lap. So if everything is going well, I will stop every 4 laps to refill. Though if things are set up well, I might only carry 1 bottle and exchange them quickly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 14Stone View Post

He's one of us now....
    Best I can guess, I had a fork blow out 2-3 hours into a solo 8. So that's like riding a rigid....singlespeed, no comparison.

After signing up, first thing I did was check my other MTB's, none have V-brake mounts on the fork and none are mechanical brakes (see how much I know about what I ride!). Not impossible, but would take a lot of reconfiguring which I am not prepared to do.

Looks like a rigid, 26'er, with v-brakes. Question is 32-18 or 32-16?

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor View Post
    Looks like a rigid, 26'er, with v-brakes. Question is 32-18 or 32-16?
    On a 26'er? 32:16. No brainer.
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor View Post
    3) I've tried a variety of things for getting in larger calories. Bars, shakes, etc, but my best results have been with mashed potato's. They ain't exciting, but if you are racing to do well, nothing is going to be enticing. You need to shove stuff down that works. I put the potato's in a baggy that I can rip open and down relatively easy. They are spiced up to my liking.
    I have never tried mashed potatos but that sounds like a great idea!!
    Will try it at the Fall 8.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I'm thinking of signing up for this one. Don't know yet if it will be a 2,3 or 4 man team yet. We did very well with 4 last time.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    haven't read ever line here yet. if it hasn't been mentioned Home | BOOST® Nutritional Drinks works for me rather then solid food. the heed/ endurolytes my metabolism goes nuts and usually ends in an emergency, not easy with a bib on.

I will be there in ss cat. last years full suspension ss worked so well i have a much lighter carbon version this year. its not working so well yet but will have it dialed in time?

see you there!

Over the bars...
    Also contemplating the whole mashed potato thing, my 26er is geared 34x16 and seemed good, I stepped down to 33x18 when I went 29er... Maybe go with 32x16.... Enjoy!!

mtbr member
    I just hurt my knee badly this Saturday at Hardwood doing laps on Gnarly. The Provincials are out of the question now, but I do hope to recover in time for the Epic 8. I am beyond pissed off as this season has been awful for me.

Speaking of being unsupported, I never ever had a supported race, so it is doable. But if you are there to win, support is critical to avoid wasting precious time.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by serious View Post
    ... as this season has been awful for me.
    Liar pants! You totally won the Six Pack Smackdown at the Summer 8. There is no greater honour in SS Solo!

mtbr member
    GM :Liar pants! You totally won the Six Pack Smackdown at the Summer 8. There is no greater honour in SS Solo!

Good point! I feel better already ... even though my knee does not. If I cannot ride this weekend I am officially panicking about the 8 Hour race.
    My rides:
    KHS Team 29
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

likes to rides bikes
    Trail map is up: Fall Epic 8 Hour Map

I wish I knew what I was looking at, but all I know is that it's not the same as the summer race course

Evil Jr.
    Yesterday at Provincials, a kind group of Lapdogs took pity on me and invited me to join their 4-person team. Which is a good thing...

a) I don't have to Solo.
    b) I'll be in much better shape for Guelph Cross the next day!

Win!

Over the bars...
    Any chance anyone from Kitchener area is heading to this race and has room for a "carpool" guy to haul up there? I have a ride back but no way up at this point.

mtbr member
    I've been told the course is marked. Has anyone had the opportunity to ride it yet?

mtbr member
    The course is up and marked, if you rode the fall 8 hour last year it is very similar to that by looking at the map, and from what I have herd from others. I haven't had a chance to ride it yet that should happen this weekend. I can make a better comment after Monday.
    Rocky Element
    My Attempt at a Blog

mtbr member
    did it, liked it, lots of fun. great course if mother nature doesn't want to be cooperative.

mtbr member
    I did the course on Saturday and I thought it was excellent. The course has some fun twisty single track and plenty of double track. It is a fairly fast course, in the style of the Mansfield and Albion O-Cups, so I would consider it single speed friendly. My injured knee held up during my ride so I am optimistic about having a problem free race.
    My rides:
    KHS Team 29
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt 24 solo View Post
    did it, liked it, lots of fun. great course if mother nature doesn't want to be cooperative.
    Speaking of which, it's looking a little rainy this weekend.

sock puppet
    Speaking of which, it's looking a little rainy this weekend.
    not just rainy but also kinda cold... which is not the best combo in my books... but, we've been there before...

the training for 2012 Crank the Shield officially starts at Hardwood...

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    the training for 2012 Crank the Shield officially starts at Hardwood...
    Meh, it's been vaguely crappy for the last two weeks (not counting the weekend), my head's already in the game.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Yup, the weather forecast is not looking great for Saturday. Currently they are saying a high of 21 (which is good) with 60% of thunder showers and between 5-10mm of rain.

Over the bars...
    Unfortunately reg passed with no way to get there so I will be riding locally instead . Enjoy all!!

mtbr member
    Wish I was going to be there battling it out with the rest of the solos.

Best of luck to everyone.
    Last edited by CptSydor; 09-23-2011 at 04:36 AM.

Evil Jr.
    I think we'll need the luck.

Quote Originally Posted by The Weather Network
    24-Hour Precipitation Outlook

* close to 20 mm of rain from Friday Afternoon to Saturday Afternoon
    Gonna be a mucky one. I don't think I'll worry about cleaning my bike before the race...

Up, Up, and Away!
    Hardwood Hills is the most fun I've ever had MTBing in pouring rain!

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by SuprGrovr View Post
    Hardwood Hills is the most fun I've ever had MTBing in pouring rain!
    That is true.

Switching to Rocket Rons.

For added fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Signature

Evil Jr.
    That is true.

For added fun.
    I'm going to go out on a limb and recommend AGAINST SB8s for tomorrow.

Up, Up, and Away!
    The woodchips will be like riding on a waterbed.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuprGrovr View Post
    The woodchips will be like riding on a waterbed.
    I despise those woodchips (and the orange snow fence) on a bright sunny day!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    That is true.

For added fun.
    Changing tires is way to much work. I will be riding some baldish Racing Ralph for the added slipery factor. Wife has to work so I will be bringing the kids along. Should be an awesome day.

mtbr member
    I've only been to Hardwood once so don't really remember the trails very well. How does it handle this weather? Is it sandy or clay-ish?
    My tire selection includes "front" and "rear" so it's not like I'm swapping tires, I'm just vaguely curious as to what conditions I can look forward to.
    I love riding my bike!

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetfilly7 View Post
    I've only been to Hardwood once so don't really remember the trails very well. How does it handle this weather? Is it sandy or clay-ish?
    My tire selection includes "front" and "rear" so it's not like I'm swapping tires, I'm just vaguely curious as to what conditions I can look forward to.
    There's a lot of clay up there so it gets slippery when it's wet. Not Don slippery, but tricky all the same. I've seen people fall right off the trail in heavy rain so keep your wits about you!

Lemmy Rules!
    Good luck to everyone tomorrow. Pouring rain or no pouring rain, I still wish I was riding...
    Strava made me do it....

Over the bars...
    Quote Originally Posted by unglued View Post
    good luck to everyone tomorrow. Pouring rain or no pouring rain, i still wish i was riding...
    +1.

Evil Jr.
    Pierogies are cooked and tossed with EVO. Bike and chairs are in loaded in the truck. Beer's chilling in the fridge. Sleep tight everyone!

mtbr member
    There's a lot of clay up there so it gets slippery when it's wet. Not Don slippery, but tricky all the same. I've seen people fall right off the trail in heavy rain so keep your wits about you!

Fun fun! Slick as a used car saleman I can handle, it's the stick-to-the tires-until-they-can't-turn stuff I don't like. Still though, like that other thread indicated, it'll still be better than not riding at all.

(Just cooking the perogies right now.....)
    I love riding my bike!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Gee I do don't ever recall seeing clay in there anywhere.The trails are on the Oro Moraine, which are comprised of sand, gravel and silt. ORO MORAINE. This very dry last summer exposed many sandy areas on some trails, so much that riding was sketchy in spots. I am sure there could be pockets of clay, but the beauty of Hardwood is how well it drains during and after a rainfall. Silt can act similar to clay in that it is slippery, but as it is minute angular particles like sand it is nowheres near as slippery.

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudhead View Post
    Gee I do don't ever recall seeing clay in there anywhere.The trails are on the Oro Moraine, which are comprised of sand, gravel and silt. ORO MORAINE. This very dry last summer exposed many sandy areas on some trails, so much that riding was sketchy in spots. I am sure there could be pockets of clay, but the beauty of Hardwood is how well it drains during and after a rainfall. Silt can act similar to clay in that it is slippery, but as it is minute angular particles like sand it is nowheres near as slippery.
    That is my finding too. I raced in the torrential downpour a couple of years ago and it was unbelievable fun with more traction than one would expect in the rain.

Weather looks good for tomorrow. Even slicks may be fine by noon.

Another day in the saddle with friends. How bad can it be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Signature

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    That is my finding too. I raced in the torrential downpour a couple of years ago and it was unbelievable fun with more traction than one would expect in the rain.

Weather looks good for tomorrow. Even slicks may be fine by noon.

Another day in the saddle with friends. How bad can it be?
    Agreed. Sticking with the Fast Trak rear, and Renegade front.
    Almost recovered enough from last weekend to looking forward to this!!

Over the bars...
    Quote Originally Posted by RiotMTB View Post
    Agreed. Sticking with the Fast Trak rear, and Renegade front.
    Almost recovered enough from last weekend to looking forward to this!!
    Awesome job today!! Not sure I would have kept up with ya!! Good recovery!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by egggman View Post
    Awesome job today!! Not sure I would have kept up with ya!! Good recovery!!
    Thanks eggg. You woulda kicked my adze...as always.
    You shoulda been there!

mtbr member
    Yes, it was a great day. The weather was fantastic, and the course held up really well from Friday's rain. Other than some wet and slippery roots, the course was rather perfect.

I started out with the goal of doing 13 laps, but struggled to keep up the pace. With only 35 minutes left, I did not go out for lap 13. Even if I had it in me to do it, it would have made no difference in the standings, so no harm done.

The best part for me was that my injured knee held up well. On the other hand, I took enough Advil to ensure I feel nothing. The worst part was to learn that somebody had a heart attack on the course and died. I could not stop thinking about it last night. My condoleances to the family.
    My rides:
    KHS Team 29
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by serious View Post
    Yes, it was a great day. The weather was fantastic, and the course held up really well from Friday's rain. Other than some wet and slippery roots, the course was rather perfect.

I started out with the goal of doing 13 laps, but struggled to keep up the pace. With only 35 minutes left, I did not go out for lap 13. Even if I had it in me to do it, it would have made no difference in the standings, so no harm done.

The best part for me was that my injured knee held up well. On the other hand, I took enough Advil to ensure I feel nothing. The worst part was to learn that somebody had a heart attack on the course and died. I could not stop thinking about it last night. My condoleances to the family.
    Have to agree on all counts.
    The course was challenging with the roots, but in great condition considering the rain. The weather was perfect. I too, only had 12 laps in me...but I only had 8 minutes left after 12.
    A female rider a few yards in front of me and a third rider, went down on the first wood bridge and injured her neck. The third rider tended to her and I went to find a Marshall. The medics took her out on a backboard. This and the gentleman who passed away left an unsettling feeling riding the rest of the day; and I too could not stop thinking about both last night, with concern for the families.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RiotMTB View Post
    Have to agree on all counts.
    The course was challenging with the roots, but in great condition considering the rain. The weather was perfect. I too, only had 12 laps in me...but I only had 8 minutes left after 12.
    A female rider a few yards in front of me and a third rider, went down on the first wood bridge and injured her neck. The third rider tended to her and I went to find a Marshall. The medics took her out on a backboard. This and the gentleman who passed away left an unsettling feeling riding the rest of the day; and I too could not stop thinking about both last night, with concern for the families.
    I was the one who stayed with girl who injured her neck. She said she heard a crack and I know she took the full impact on head/neck. I suspect she might have broken it but thankfully she had had full movement of all extremities....kept her completely still until first aid could get a collar on her. Hopefully she is okay.

of course a couple of laps later my friend was a few riders behind the person who had a heart attack. So a scary day all around.

as for the race, the course was in good condition which I suspected because it is very sandy at hardwood. Roots were slick as a button and saw more than a few spills....added an extra element of finess needed to manoeuvre through them. Temperature was perfect for riding and the swiss chalet afterwards (paid for by the losers of our little 2 team battle) was tasty!

I Strava Hamburgers
    Was a great ride for sure. Those roots were like ice the first couple of laps, but once the course dried out it was a lot of fun.

I saw both stretchers come out of the forest. The girl in the neck brace I was kinda worried about, but when you see someone coming out with full chest compressions and like 3 people on the wagon, that leaves a really unsettling feeling heading into the bushes.

I hope the family of the rider who died is alright. It really sucks to hear something like that. I also hope the girl pulls through without any issues either.

I had one crash trying the A frame over the log on my first lap. I was following someone and they slammed the brakes on the far side of the frame causing me to try to balance on a wet log with my cleats. Not so much....

Best parts of the day were shouldering a tree and having the rider behind me say "Hope that tree's alright", and asking the marshals if they had any beer.

Props to a clyde brother I met up with on a hill, you looked like you were dying at the top of the green mesh climb and I asked if you were alright. You told me it was your first lap and first race. Hope you stick with it brother!
    Last edited by 14Stone; 09-25-2011 at 05:46 AM. Reason: Grammar fail.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    What a great day! The course was in great condition and got more and more fun with those berms ferming up nicely. Our team had a great day taking first place in 120-159. Congrats to all solo for a long day on the bike but I think it was a great Solo course with minimum climb and so much fun singletracks.

My wife was working this weekend so I brought the kids up to Hardwood hoping they would have fun. Really proud of my 4 years old boy that pulled an unofficial single speed solo by riding is bike all day and my girls also had a great time. Not to brag, but I have a great kids.

My condolences to the family of the gentleman that passed away. The sport we love can be dangerous but incident like this make you think and reflect alot.

sock puppet
    well, another glorious day in the saddle...

considering the weather forecast from Wednesday - we did extremely well. Not a drop of rain on Saturday and all the moisture from the rain leading into the event drained very well. There were few soft spots, but they dried up very well to the point that semislick tires were just fine in the afternoon...

The opening climb was a killer, like always... It was hard to warm up properly before every lap, and this climb would rudely remind me of that fact every time without exception... Once we were at the top - we faced tight singletrack and roots galore. Though they did dry by the mid race point, few of them were angled in such a way that if not focused - you'd be hitting the dirt not knowing what happened... Few log overs, nice bridges, even a skinny that were really rewarding if taken over the easy way around, not to mention added fun. I found some sections of double track were too short for safe passing, and there was no passing in most of the singletrack, it was pretty tight. However, most of the riders were very courteous and some went out of their way to let those in contention go by as soon as it was possible. I love this aspect of the race - shows real camaraderie within the community...

It was nice to meet 14Stone and put the name to the face. It was great to see all the friends and special congrats go to serious for overcoming his knee injury and earning the podium... Congrats to everyone else - there were some really tight races, decided by mere seconds...

My heart and sincere condolences go to the family of the rider that passed away while racing. This tragedy shook many a rider, to the point that some just pulled out of their race... It was hard not to think about it and it made me reflect on things that we take for granted... Life is so short and precious...

Hardwood Hills organization crew did an excellent job - very professional and friendly. Though at first I disliked the organization of the start/finish area, I appreciated the sense of law and order - which was enforced throughout the day in a very professional way. Thanks Glen and the crew!

mtbr member
    Thanks osokolo and congratulations to you guys ... as always you guys get podium spots.
    My rides:
    KHS Team 29
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

mtbr member
    Yes it was a great day on the bike, I fnished my third 8 hour race this year, with the closest solo race I have ever been in. I was very happy with my day not stopping at all. Congrats to the other solo racers who made it a great race. It was also great to see so many riders out there this time.

I met all my goals for the race and now I just have to work on being able to stay with what ever Elite racer decides to race the odd 8 hour now. So now it's time for some fun fall riding.
    Rocky Element
    My Attempt at a Blog

Is it winter yet?
    May 2007
    I wasn't aware of the neck injury. I figured something very bad happened when I was re-routed around a section of singletrack, and when I saw a fire truck pull in, then an ambulance, and saw people talking in the background with police, while everybody else wasn't saying a word about a problem.

As others have said, my sincere condolences to the family.

This was my first tag team, and my partner is a new rider and a new university student. It was weird not having a teammate to talk to during the race. The rider coming in would pass off the timing chip, and the new rider would give back the car key. It just seemed like a simple system. We had fun, for a while.

I fell, the victim of roots that grew in entirely in the wrong direction. Went down hard, hit my side and my head, and dislodged my seat from the rails. Took a minute or so to regain my senses, and some marshalls nearby helped me up. My bite valve got pried off my camelback, so I was doused with water. With no seat, I was about to head back, when I noticed the marshalls had tuck tape. I MacGyvered my seat back on (engineers solving real world problems). It held for the rest of that lap, and the second lap of my double lap. I lost about 10 minutes with the fall and repair.

I went immediately to the bike shop and used my car key to cut the tape off, and while the mechanic was impressed by my tape repair, he couldn't get the seat back on. I left to go to my car, and realized I didn't have my car key. I assumed my partner didn't pass it back to me at the start/finish, so I waited for him to come around the first lap of his double. He was later than expected, and holding his side. Apparently, he went down, too. On the doubletrack. How the hell he fell on doubletrack, I'll never know. Neither does he, but he fell while hammering the big ring, so he went down hard.

Also, notice how I had my key to cut the tape off, but then assumed my partner didn't give it to me? Yeah, I was a little out of it. Somewhere between the shop and the start/finish area, I lost my car key.

Looked for it everywhere. With my seat busted, my head in the clouds and my partner out of commission, and assuming the worst about the accident, we called it a race after 8 laps. I actually had to have my wife run the spare key up to Hardwood. We're only 40 minutes away, but I hated doing that to her.

The worst was asking people if they saw an Acura key. The staff were very helpful, especially Judy at the front desk. There were much bigger problems at Hardwood on that day, and I almost felt sheepish asking people if anyone had turned in a key. Whether I put it down or dropped it, I still don't remember. That whole section of time is a blur to me.

So if you are at Hardwood and find an Acura key and key fob, let me know. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jrastories View Post
    Yes it was a great day on the bike, I fnished my third 8 hour race this year, with the closest solo race I have ever been in. I was very happy with my day not stopping at all. Congrats to the other solo racers who made it a great race. It was also great to see so many riders out there this time.

I met all my goals for the race and now I just have to work on being able to stay with what ever Elite racer decides to race the odd 8 hour now. So now it's time for some fun fall riding.
    Hey great race jra, and congrats on the podium. A very impressive 14 laps...it took everything I had to get in 12 , And I have to say kudos, to the very curteous call you made to pass me, calling 'second place solo coming up' well before you got up to me giving me plenty of warning to find a safe place to let you by on the twisty single track without slowing you down (I hope).

Evil Jr.
    First off, I don't know what I was thinking saying Hardwood has clay. I got out of the truck and gave myself a well-deserved facepalm.

Having said that, I loved that course! Absolutely perfect for SSing. However, the many crashes and injuries did temper my ride. I was 100% committed to riding clean and staying upright.

The weather was a great gift and for a bunch of slackers, we came dangerously close to accidentally landing on the podium.

To end an already eerie and surreal day, we got home at around midnight to find a VM from my Mom telling us that a family member had just dropped dead from a blood clot.

My heart goes out the family of the fallen rider. Things got really heavy this weekend and we had more than enough reminders to make the most of every day.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    This it the first time I've posted here, but wanted to let the community have an update on one of the injured riders.

First, my condolences to the friends and family of the rider who passed away. I can only imagine how difficult it must be to cope with such a thing. It is certainly a reminder to cherish every day, as you truly never know what may happen.

Second, my teammate and friend was the rider taken out after injuring her neck. We were tag-teaming the race, her second MTB race ever, and just hoping to have a solid 8 hours and decent showing. WHen I heard our number announced as a cancelled lap, I got that weird feeling that something must've happened. She was taken away by ambulance to Barrie, where after examinations and xrays, she was cleared of any significant injuries. Certainly a sprained neck, which was more painful the next day than anything. Although it ended our race, I couldn't have been more relieved to be at the hospital receiving the good news that nothing was fractured or worse.

I have to give a huge thanks to the race staff for how they handled the affair. I was notified pretty quick about her injury and was kept informed of how she was doing through the entire ordeal. The first aid folks were excellent, acted quickly and professionally, and were instrumental in keeping me calm and in control. It's nervewracking to see a friend in a neck collar and backboard leaving by ambulance. They were incredibly reassuring, keeping us both in good spirits and believe it or not, laughing through most of the way.

We plan on making a return next spring to redeem ourselves (maybe she'll bypass the wet wooden bridges...) and complete the entire race. I thought that experience might scare her away from MTB, but it seems to have done the opposite, instead acting as motivation to come back next year and pump out some laps.

All considered, an eerie day. You never want to see ambulances at a race for any reason. Injuries are one thing, death is another. Again, my heart goes out to the family of the fallen rider.

I Strava Hamburgers
    I'm glad to hear that. Seeing her on the way down the hill I was seriously hoping it was just a precaution with the neck brace. Glad to hear its just going to be annoying to look around for a few days while it heals rather then anything else.

Hope to see you guys next year!

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by jay-me View Post
    This it the first time I've posted here, but wanted to let the community have an update on one of the injured riders.

First, my condolences to the friends and family of the rider who passed away. I can only imagine how difficult it must be to cope with such a thing. It is certainly a reminder to cherish every day, as you truly never know what may happen.

Second, my teammate and friend was the rider taken out after injuring her neck. We were tag-teaming the race, her second MTB race ever, and just hoping to have a solid 8 hours and decent showing. WHen I heard our number announced as a cancelled lap, I got that weird feeling that something must've happened. She was taken away by ambulance to Barrie, where after examinations and xrays, she was cleared of any significant injuries. Certainly a sprained neck, which was more painful the next day than anything. Although it ended our race, I couldn't have been more relieved to be at the hospital receiving the good news that nothing was fractured or worse.

I have to give a huge thanks to the race staff for how they handled the affair. I was notified pretty quick about her injury and was kept informed of how she was doing through the entire ordeal. The first aid folks were excellent, acted quickly and professionally, and were instrumental in keeping me calm and in control. It's nervewracking to see a friend in a neck collar and backboard leaving by ambulance. They were incredibly reassuring, keeping us both in good spirits and believe it or not, laughing through most of the way.

We plan on making a return next spring to redeem ourselves (maybe she'll bypass the wet wooden bridges...) and complete the entire race. I thought that experience might scare her away from MTB, but it seems to have done the opposite, instead acting as motivation to come back next year and pump out some laps.

All considered, an eerie day. You never want to see ambulances at a race for any reason. Injuries are one thing, death is another. Again, my heart goes out to the family of the fallen rider.
    Glad to hear that your team-mate was not badly injured. Thanks for posting.

Anyone know anything about the rider that passed away? Regardless of the circumstances this is a tragedy. Is he someone anyone knows? Was it his first race, or was he an experienced racer? Did he had a wife? Kids? How old was he? I felt sick to my stomach when I read this, and have this horrible premonition that it might be someone that some of us may know.
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Holy smokes, what a day! First seeing the rider that came off the bridge and was being loaded onto a backboard and then coming upon the rider that had the heart attack on the trail and having CPR administered on him, it was crazy. It really hit home and I think it made me realize how precious life really is. My sincere condolences go out the family of the rider. I also hope the female rider that fell of the bridge will have a quicky and speedy recovery with whatever injury she may have incurred.

As for my race, I certainly have a new appreciation for how hard doing an 8 race solo can be. Ended up with 9 laps, which I am satisfied with for a first attempt. Definitely will be doing more solo's next year though! Congrat's to the solo riders achieving 14 laps. That is incredible.

Really enjoyed the course and it was in great condition considering all of the rain we had last week. Definitely took it easy with those roots in the first half section though

sock puppet
    Thanks for the update
    it is always good to hear great news and put the issue to rest in the best possible way. I feel relieved that the damage was minimal. It is also positive to hear that the accident is a motivator to come out stronger and more prepared next time. Just the way it should be.

All bridges were pretty slick, particularly in the morning, but improved significantly towards the end of the day. They had to be hit with enough momentum, as well as accurate direction, as corrections were less effective due to lack of traction.... the great place to work on these skills is at Hilton Falls.

All the best and a speedy recovery to your partner. We'll see you both next season... Maybe at Mansfield Epic 8.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Wow, this is terrific news! So glad to hear your friend is ok. Seeing her lying in the ditch while the medical team was working on her was pretty scary. Also glad to hear this incident has not deterred her from trying it again!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Glad to hear that your team-mate was not badly injured. Thanks for posting.

Anyone know anything about the rider that passed away? Regardless of the circumstances this is a tragedy. Is he someone anyone knows? Was it his first race, or was he an experienced racer? Did he had a wife? Kids? How old was he? I felt sick to my stomach when I read this, and have this horrible premonition that it might be someone that some of us may know.
    Do not know the gentlemen's name, but this is what has been reported in the Orillia Packet and Times newspaper:

A 58-year-old man died during a mountain-biking challenge at Hardwood Ski and Bike on Saturday.

The man died from what may have been a medical-related matter, according to the OPP.

The gentleman was part of a four-person relay team taking part in the Pulse Racing Epic 8 Hour event where participants were required to complete a 10- kilometre mountain bike loop.

Hardwood Ski and Bike staff declined to comment on the incident.

The investigation is ongoing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    From the Barrie Examiner Web site:

Bike racer died of natural causes
    Posted 3 minutes ago
    A 57-year-old Oshawa man who collapsed during a mountain bike event over the weekend died of natural causes, an autopsy has concluded.

Henry Puchala of Oshawa was riding in the Epic 8 mountain bike race as part of a relay at Hardwood Hills Saturday afternoon. He collapsed and race personnel used an on-site defibrillator while waiting for paramedics to arrive. He was rushed to Soldiers' Memorial Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Evil Jr.
    I understood from one of my team-mates that he was a regular Sport racer.

sock puppet

his team was in our category

they were 7 minutes behind us and then dropped out of the race. we were wondering what happened to them, not knowing who the fallen rider was.

They were on pace for 3rd place.

Quote Originally Posted by twenty6black View Post
    From the Barrie Examiner Web site:

Bike racer died of natural causes
    Posted 3 minutes ago
    A 57-year-old Oshawa man who collapsed during a mountain bike event over the weekend died of natural causes, an autopsy has concluded.

Henry Puchala of Oshawa was riding in the Epic 8 mountain bike race as part of a relay at Hardwood Hills Saturday afternoon. He collapsed and race personnel used an on-site defibrillator while waiting for paramedics to arrive. He was rushed to Soldiers' Memorial Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

No. Just No.
    RIP. Condolences to family and friends, if any of them ever read this forum.

I guess if I was going to go from a heart attack, I'd rather do it on some singletrack than sitting in front of a TV, assuming my fate was already written in stone.

Evil Jr.
    There's a certain strange symmetry in that one of the first riders on the scene was herself taken away in an ambulance at the Summer 8.

Given the circumstances, I really appreciated Jack's statement on the incident prior to the awards. I thought it was respectful and it prevented the rumour mill from getting out of control.

mtbr member
    That's terrible about the crashes/key

How was the condition overall? Hopefully the key turns up somewhere. Do you need a spare saddle? I have a few sitting around you can have.

Quote Originally Posted by chansen View Post
    I wasn't aware of the neck injury. I figured something very bad happened when I was re-routed around a section of singletrack, and when I saw a fire truck pull in, then an ambulance, and saw people talking in the background with police, while everybody else wasn't saying a word about a problem.

As others have said, my sincere condolences to the family.

This was my first tag team, and my partner is a new rider and a new university student. It was weird not having a teammate to talk to during the race. The rider coming in would pass off the timing chip, and the new rider would give back the car key. It just seemed like a simple system. We had fun, for a while.

I fell, the victim of roots that grew in entirely in the wrong direction. Went down hard, hit my side and my head, and dislodged my seat from the rails. Took a minute or so to regain my senses, and some marshalls nearby helped me up. My bite valve got pried off my camelback, so I was doused with water. With no seat, I was about to head back, when I noticed the marshalls had tuck tape. I MacGyvered my seat back on (engineers solving real world problems). It held for the rest of that lap, and the second lap of my double lap. I lost about 10 minutes with the fall and repair.

I went immediately to the bike shop and used my car key to cut the tape off, and while the mechanic was impressed by my tape repair, he couldn't get the seat back on. I left to go to my car, and realized I didn't have my car key. I assumed my partner didn't pass it back to me at the start/finish, so I waited for him to come around the first lap of his double. He was later than expected, and holding his side. Apparently, he went down, too. On the doubletrack. How the hell he fell on doubletrack, I'll never know. Neither does he, but he fell while hammering the big ring, so he went down hard.

Also, notice how I had my key to cut the tape off, but then assumed my partner didn't give it to me? Yeah, I was a little out of it. Somewhere between the shop and the start/finish area, I lost my car key.

Looked for it everywhere. With my seat busted, my head in the clouds and my partner out of commission, and assuming the worst about the accident, we called it a race after 8 laps. I actually had to have my wife run the spare key up to Hardwood. We're only 40 minutes away, but I hated doing that to her.

The worst was asking people if they saw an Acura key. The staff were very helpful, especially Judy at the front desk. There were much bigger problems at Hardwood on that day, and I almost felt sheepish asking people if anyone had turned in a key. Whether I put it down or dropped it, I still don't remember. That whole section of time is a blur to me.

So if you are at Hardwood and find an Acura key and key fob, let me know. Thanks.

mtbr member
    This has been a terrible year of death. A close friend of mine just passed away at the young age of 30. It's terribly sad because he was the Ontario road champion at the age of 16, and was once an Olympic hopeful.

I'm glad to hear your friend is OK. It's always eerie to learn about terribly scary accidents on the race course.

Lemmy Rules!
    Wow. 58 is too young. Again, if any of the deceased's family or friends are reading this out there in cyberspace, please accept my deepest condolences.
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Just wanted to pass on condolences. So sad to see this happen as it did. At the very least, he probably left us doing what he loved.

mtbr member
    As with everyone else, my thoughts are with the family and friends of that rider. I knew there'd been a serious accident from the sirens, but when I saw the paramedics racing down the doubletrack doing chest compressions, it really brought the seriousness of the situation to me. Then on my lap I was told to dismount and bushwack around the cordoned off area, (neatly raked the next time I passed through the spot). I was pretty distracted which led to a little whoopsy on a tricky root.
    I agree with nspace, he probably went out doing what he loved. When my time comes, that's how I hope it goes for me too; on my bike in the woods, and happening so quickly there's no time for regrets.

Quote Originally Posted by nspace View Post
    Just wanted to pass on condolences. So sad to see this happen as it did. At the very least, he probably left us doing what he loved.
    I love riding my bike!

Evil Jr.
    Wow. 58 is too young.
    My Dad was younger than that when he passed (almost as suddenly) and that has had a profound effect on how I approach life, view opportunities and manage risk. Seize those days while you still have them available!

Lemmy Rules!
    Wow. 58 is too young.
    Then again, I hope that I am still mountainbiking at 58,
    Strava made me do it....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast