Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Fall Epic 8 Hour

Thought I would get a jump on this thread since today is the last day of August I have signed up to do this race solo, which will just happen to be my first 8 hour race going solo. So, I am looking for any helpful suggestions on how to tackle 8 hours of (hopefully) continous riding with pace, how often to eat, drink etc.

One thing I have been thinking about is the start. In past experience, if you are not at the very front you get stuck in a bottle neck even with the extra distance to try and spread out the riders, once you get to the single track. It is beneficial to start near or at the back and start with a nice easy pace in order to avoid the bottle neck?

Any help/guideance would be most welcome

bi-winning
    Don't start at the back. It's not that fun riding behind inexperienced riders when you are racing.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

All my faucets is Moen.
    I've done two summer solo's. Once starting hard to avoid the bottle neck and once taking it easy. I was much more successful starting off slow. There is plenty of time to make it up.

Of course the answer to that question usually depends on your fitness, what your pace will be and if you plan on being on the podium or just riding for 8hrs.

mtbr member
    I'm looking forward to this one again, I always like the fall 8 hour I this will be my 4th year doing it, and I am hoping for another podium for this one, but I have herd that there might be some pretty good riders coming this fall.

Trekbikes there is lots of good answers to your questions in the new nutrition forums and in the endurance forums, but my advice would be to drink more then you think you need to, eat while you do some training rides. use the start loop, you don't need to be out front but you don't want to be in the back either then quickly settle into your pace. I am still working on some of these things especially the pacing thing, I am still going out a little too strong, but it is soooo much fun to ride the trails fast.
    Rocky Element
    My Attempt at a Blog

Evil Jr.
    At the 8 Hours, I'm either on the podium or within spitting distance (4th or 5th) and I usually start around mid-pack. I figure that way I stay out of the way the team riders and generally avoid the worst of the riff-raff.

I would suggest getting into a routine for each lap regarding nutrition and hydration. Depending on the weather, I usually plan on a bottle every two laps and a shot from gel flask, half a bar and a perogy every lap.

At Hardwood, I always eat just after the transition zone and drink anytime I'm on level-ish double track.

Don't fall for your silly brain telling you you're not thirsty or hungry 'cause it's a trap!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Back of the pack doping.
    I'll be there as well.

I usually re bottle every lap, and have liquid calories on tap every two laps or so. At least that was my plan, and it was working last time :P

I usually like to start mid / back pack and work my way up.

Drink all the things too. Like GM said, your body will tell you that you're not thirsty. You should pre ride the course if you can and find drinking area's for yourself, then every time you hit it, you should put down a good amount of liquid. Even a little bit of dehydration can really ruin your day.

I'm not a podium rider and I'm mostly doing this for giggles, but at the same time I'm looking to put in a respectable ride of 8-10 laps. So if you're thinking about something like that, then just read up on hydration and calorie intake and you should be good to go.

See you there!
    My EBB so loud
    I'm mashing...

snowbound
    Jan 2005
    I usually start off mid pack and go hard the first lap - trying to stay ahead of most of the bottlenecks.
    For nutrition/hydration I drink about 1.5 bottles per lap - and those bottles are usually mixed with two scoops of Heed - so that I think is about 200 cal/bottle. In addition I have a gel per lap.
    My two favourite things during the race though, are, if I am really needing something solid, half a pb&j sandwich , and a cold mini can of coke after 5 or 6 dusty hours is super-refreshing.
    Good luck!

Lemmy Rules!
    I've done 5 8-hours solo now. I am not a podium rider generally speaking. I don't like to start too far back since like Garage Monster and 14-Stone, I am on a singlespeed which means momentum counts, and having to brake behind slower riders then grind up hills wastes precious energy. Actually, what I do on the starts is try and line up around where Garage Monster has situated himself (look for the steel orange Misfit) as he is pretty good at staging himself in the right spot.

Concerning nutrition, I have found that too many gels and energy drinks tend to upset my stomach, so I tend to eat real food during the race. Typically, I buy a bunch of tortilla wraps and make some up with banana and peanut butter, and others with smoked turkey, lettuce and just a little honey mustard. I also have oranges cut up into quarters. I eat something after every lap. The wraps come in handy because you can eat them on the go while riding after the transition zone.

For drinks, I don't use a camelbak as I don't want to haul the extra weight with me for 8 hours. i make up bottles in advance and go thru a bottle of eload, flatted, diluted coke or water per lap. I keep a flask of perpetuum mixed as a gel in my jersey pocket just in case I start to bonk or want a taste of something sweet, but don't use it much.

But that's just me. I learned what worked for me thru trial and error. There's only a few weeks until the race but if you can, try and go on some longer rides (even road rides) using what you think you might be eating at the race, and see how it sits.
    Strava made me do it....

Evil Jr.
    A note on pace: if you can't hold a conversation while you're riding a solo, you're riding too hard (or you're developing a bad attitude, ).

DO NOT get tempted into chasing rabbits. Develop a mental race plan and stick to it. Don't worry about what the other riders are doing: you only have control over your ride.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

All my faucets is Moen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    Actually, what I do on the starts is try and line up around where Garage Monster has situated himself (look for the steel orange Misfit) as he is pretty good at staging himself in the right spot.
    Since GM is always on the podium (or close to it) I suppose you could just follow him around all day then attack on the last lap.

Burnt Orange Lives

winning advice ^^^

does't get any better than that.

Quote Originally Posted by thedumbopinion View Post
    Since GM is always on the podium (or close to it) I suppose you could just follow him around all day then attack on the last lap.

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by thedumbopinion View Post
    Tried that in the Spring Epic 8 but found I was unable to talk while so doing, so I backed off. Of course, GM called it a day at 5pm and I stayed out until 6.30, so in an unprecedented and possibly never-to-be-repeated event, I finished one place ahead of Garage Monster. It's fortunate I didn't get a flat, though, as I would still be out there now....
    Strava made me do it....

Evil Jr.
    Tried that in the Spring Epic 8 but found I was unable to talk while so doing, so I backed off. Of course, GM called it a day at 5pm and I stayed out until 6.30, so in an unprecedented and possibly never-to-be-repeated event, I finished one place ahead of Garage Monster. It's fortunate I didn't get a flat, though, as I would still be out there now....
    Ah, see now that was all part of my race plan and I stuck to it (...mostly, Mrs. Monster did force me out for one more parade lap, )! To that point, I'd only done a handful of rides all Spring (I think the 8 actually tripled my total distance on a MTB to that point) and I was intentionally limiting myself to 100km.

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    Ah, see now that was all part of my race plan and I stuck to it (...mostly, Mrs. Monster did force me out for one more parade lap, )! To that point, I'd only done a handful of rides all Spring (I think the 8 actually tripled my total distance on a MTB to that point) and I was intentionally limiting myself to 100km.
    Yeah, but it was still unprecedented and likely never-to-be repeated...
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Thanks everyone for their helpful hints and suggestions. One more question, I am not sure if I will have some support there to help, meaning I could very well be doing this all on my own. Has anyone else attempted this? If so, how did you deal with changing and filling bottles, getting food etc. without loosing too much momentum?

Evil Jr.
    If you're on your own, you can set up a nice little pit area in the shade just after the transition.

Prepare all your stuff in advance. If you think you'll need eight bottles, bring eight full bottles. Lay out all your stuff in a cooler for easy access. If you're eating bars, pre-tear the bags for easy opening once you're back on track. If you're on gel, I recommend using a flask and keeping fresh flasks with your bottles.

Every second you save in the pits is a second you don't have to "earn" on the trail.

mtbr member
    For a truly epic week-end, some friends are organizing a mass trip to Blue that w/e. Several are suggesting doing Blue on Sunday so they can race the eight hour on Saturday.

I donít have enough adjectives to describe the boggling going on in my brain thinking about riding an eight hour and then hammering the thighs and core the next day doing downhill. But you folks are incredible athletes, so if this interests you please get in touch!

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by trekbikes View Post
    Thanks everyone for their helpful hints and suggestions. One more question, I am not sure if I will have some support there to help, meaning I could very well be doing this all on my own. Has anyone else attempted this? If so, how did you deal with changing and filling bottles, getting food etc. without loosing too much momentum?
    I've always done these things unsupported. The trick is to put your cooler RIGHT NEXT TO the trail. I also built a little widget made of a stake I can push into the ground, with a block of wood and three old bottle holders attached to it. That way, I can stick that into the ground, again right next to the trail, have three bottles ready to grab as I ride by without even stopping. Worked pretty well, as evidenced by the fact that this was the unprecedented and never to be repeated day that I came in front of Garage Monster.
    Strava made me do it....

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    I also built a little widget made of a stake I can push into the ground, with a block of wood and three old bottle holders attached to it.
    You can also purchase such things, if you're feeling less crafty than Unglued.

Back of the pack doping.
    If you're going solo and you don't have support but want some, I'm pretty sure my friend who's tossing me bottles and stuff will help you along as well.

I pretend I'm racing. I have a long way to go before a podium, but if you're thinking about having a go at the podium, or putting in a really solid day, I don't mind sharing a support tent. Believe me, the extra work will keep my friend entertained.

During the Mansfield Epic 8, I was riding behind a solo female rider that I had seen around the course. This was 6 hours in. I started talking to her after I had heard her get upset with an aggressive rider who passed her on some single track, I figured if I shared a joke or 2 it'd help in some way.. I got around to asking her about support and how she was coping through the day. She said she didn't have anyone, and I actually got upset for her because I figure that would suck horribly.

Anyone doing a ultra endurance event should have at least 1 person to help.

So the offer is there
    Last edited by 14Stone; 09-02-2011 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Grammar not gud.
    My EBB so loud
    I'm mashing...

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 14Stone View Post
    Anyone doing a ultra endurance event should have at least 1 person to help.
    Pfft. Mr. Monster and I did Solstice solo last year with no support and it was fine. Having said that, Erick Auger's (perennial winner of 40+ solo) support crew totally stepped up and offered their help. They were so sweet, but I didn't know what to do with it!

Back of the pack doping.
    Supporting each other doesn't count!

Wasn't saying its fact, just saying you should just in case kinda thing
    My EBB so loud
    I'm mashing...

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    14Stone, thank you very much for the offer and I may just take you up on the offer if my wife and kids can't make it. As for a podium, good question. Given this is my first solo 8 hour I am targeting 10 laps and see where the chips fall from there

Over the bars...
    Agreed on starting about mid pack around faces you recognize from other races. As far as fuel I tried many things and have settled on Perpetuem of 8 hours. Perpetuem in bottles and thick in a flask. I have a large meal approximately 2 hours before the race and a caffinated Powerbar gel 30 mins before also. Seems to work for me. I am not a podeum rider. Any other food plan i have used has eventually given me gutrot. Oh and I almost forgot lots of endurolytes and water!!

Evil Jr.
    And for goodness sakes, bring at least one beer for the end of the race. You'll have earned it!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast