Avenger of Evil

Expansion of The Hydro Cut

I just heard from a good source that the Hydro Cut is going to be expanded by about 70 acres. Has anyone else heard of this? Where would this 70 acres come from?
    I can't wait.
    Famous Last Words....."Hey, watch this!!"

veldrijder
    If you look at a Google Earth view of the area you can see there is more land of the same nature surrounding the cut that is not currently full of trails. If your source is accurate, this is great news - it also means lots of work ahead for us at trail days. If you don't already go out to help, please consider doing so. Igor runs a good show and the trail work is always productive, not to mention the BBQ from King St. Cycles afterward.

Avenger of Evil
    Count me in on the trail work....I love BBQ...
    My source is a friend of the Lawyer who is handling the deal. He says it's a go.
    Come on Summer.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Yep, I heard the same thing about the trail expansion. But that was back in October '07.

Sir Hurt Locker
    Wow that is awesome!!! I can't wait to see the plans for the new trails. When are these trail days? Are they just for the WCC or anyone can go?
    Cheers,

Seb

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    You don't have to be a member of the WCC to join the trail days. Volunteers are always welcomed.

Sir Hurt Locker
    Cool, post up hear when there's a planned trail day, and if i'm not working then me and my brother will be down for sure. I always like to contribute to the trails i ride.
    Cheers,

Seb

Avenger of Evil
    Thanks notnormal
    I had heard about it last fall also. Now it's a done deal.
    Please post trail maintenance times here, so we can all attend.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Trail days are always posted on their website.
    http://www.waterloocyclingclub.org/home.asp

For trail days just sign-up and let them know that your a non-member volunteering to help .

OCD
    You can also go to this page on the WCC site and go to the bottom to find Igors email link.
    http://www.waterloocyclingclub.org/trails/hydro.asp

Send Igor an email and he'll put you on his email notification list for trail days so you don't have to constantly monitor the WCC site looking for trail day dates.

Cheers,

-Jeff

OCD
    If you take a close look at the map of the cut on WCC you can see that there has already been a modification to make Stinky Girl all one-way, should be awesone.
    I think The Bride is planned to also see some improvement in the spring, can't wait to get back to the cut on the bike instead of the skis!!!

Cheers,

-Jeff

veldrijder
    Quote Originally Posted by jsquid
    If you take a close look at the map of the cut on WCC you can see that there has already been a modification to make Stinky Girl all one-way, should be awesone.
    It already is awesome I was at the trail day when we did that change, and I rode it a couple times in the weeks after (November). The re-routed Stinky Girl is much better!

OCD
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoote
    It already is awesome I was at the trail day when we did that change, and I rode it a couple times in the weeks after (November). The re-routed Stinky Girl is much better!
    I was expecting no less that awsomeness. (even if that may not be a word) I only wish I could have helped out, in its construction. I'm guessing that was done on the "last minute" trail day a short while back, I couldn't make it to that one as I was already booked out of town...

The one way stuff is great, you can go balls out and not worry much about running into other riders.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    My dad is a member of the WCC board, and we live about 1 km from the trail head, so I know pretty well what os going on. some of the current thinds that are of interest are the grant the WCC just applied for from the Ontario Trillium thing, for $75000 for the trails. also the WCC is applying for stewardship of the area the trails are on. Some trails where recently closed (before the snow) because they were on private property and the city sees this as a no-no. the WCC is also slightly (as in there has only been a little talk of it) thinking of buying some land (or comming to some kind of agreement) from the surrounding farmers as they really shouldn't be building trails on their land. There will probably be quite a few new trails made this spring if the stewardship deal goes through, so keep your fingers crossed. The goal for the next few years is ~40 kms of trails, currently there is ~25 kms

mtbr member
    Will there be any info of this at next weeks bike show in T.O ?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Probably not, they won't have a tent or anything, but you may be able to find some members that know what is going on, if you are lucky, and if you know what they look like, otherwise, they tend to like to keep it a secret what is going to happen with the trails until it actually happens

Avenger of Evil
    Woops...
    Did I say something that I shouldn't have?
    It wouldn't be the first time.

Live Free or Ride!
    Love it. Hydrocut has some of the best maintained trails around, some more trails are always welcome and I would love to help
    2007 Giant Anthem 1
    2009 Giant XTC 0

Sir Hurt Locker
    Does anyone know why the WCC doesn't build up obstacles such as skinnys and ladders? Is it just because they are stricty XC or is it for safety reasons? Or is it lack of volunteers? I am just curious because almost all the other trails I ride have some cool log obstacles, skinnys, ... Even Don Valley in Toronto has skinnys and jumps. The trails are awesome regardless but I am just wondering ...
    Cheers,

Seb

veldrijder
    Quote Originally Posted by 2_Tires
    Does anyone know why the WCC doesn't build up obstacles such as skinnys and ladders? Is it just because they are stricty XC or is it for safety reasons? Or is it lack of volunteers? I am just curious because almost all the other trails I ride have some cool log obstacles, skinnys, ... Even Don Valley in Toronto has skinnys and jumps. The trails are awesome regardless but I am just wondering ...
    I don't know the official policy, but I think it is mainly a safety thing, and the preferences of the main group that use/maintain the trails. There are some significant log-overs, but they're all smooth if you know how to ride them. The new section of Stinky Girl has a skinny/log-ride (not elevated). Adam's Run has an optional drop off a boulder (about 1m). There's lots of rock gardens.

I think the WCC trails are good being developed as they are - some of the most buff, fun, flowing singletrack in the province. If you want technical you know the other places you can go.

Sir Hurt Locker
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoote
    I don't know the official policy, but I think it is mainly a safety thing, and the preferences of the main group that use/maintain the trails. There are some significant log-overs, but they're all smooth if you know how to ride them. The new section of Stinky Girl has a skinny/log-ride (not elevated). Adam's Run has an optional drop off a boulder (about 1m). There's lots of rock gardens.

I think the WCC trails are good being developed as they are - some of the most buff, fun, flowing singletrack in the province. If you want technical you know the other places you can go.
    You are right about that, I love the hydrocut trails as they are anyway. I was just curious about the lack of skinnys. I like skinnys and logs to develop good balance and technique, but I can always go somewhere else for that. Thanks for the reply.
    Cheers,

Seb

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I don't know if you remember (or if you even rode there), but around, i can't really remember, probably 2000 or so, there was some of the biggest log ramps (think north shore) in ontario, yes at the hydro cut, this is how "sweet street" got its original name. any way, the city had to come in and destroy them, why? because some terd came in and rode off them when he clearly was a beginner. anyway, led to the city saying no to anything more of that nature. another incident happended when someone fell off one of the bridges over a creek, this led to the need of EMS, half way into the hydro cut, you can see how the city was kinda angry about this. that is why there is sides on any bridge higher than 30" or so. if the WCC gets stewardship on the land, you may, this is a big may, start to see some more technical stuff, but realisticly, probably not

Sir Hurt Locker
    That makes sense. I am gonna keep riding the sweet single track at Hydrocut and practice my balance on the Kelso obstacles. Thanks for the info.
    Cheers,

Seb