mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Is it ever going to SNOW?

So.....after another great ride tonight in Durham Forest....I am asking myself on the way home....will we have yet one more year of riding year round.......or is it really going to snow....um??...

I think I am liking this

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Sweet. I was thinking though that if it wasn't for cross country skiing up there, I'd have a reason to get a Fat Bike going so I could ride the Durham trails in winter.

Where have you been riding? Durham Forest proper? Walker Property? Glen Major? How are the trails where you've ridden?

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by PickeringMTB View Post
    So.....after another great ride tonight in Durham Forest....I am asking myself on the way home....will we have yet one more year of riding year round.......or is it really going to snow....um??...

I think I am liking this
    Now we know who to blame when it does.

Workin for the weekend!
    If it would stay a nice -3C, we'd all be happy happy happy...

Frozen dirt is so much better than mud.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Stone him

bi-winning
    It will snow... a little bit... later.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

GAME ON!
    i would prefer snow than mild with rain.
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

sheep in FOX clothing
    Quote Originally Posted by -Todd- View Post
    If it would stay a nice -3C, we'd all be happy happy happy...

Frozen dirt is so much better than mud.
    Yes it is.

But mud will thaw at -3C with the sun shining on it.

It would need to be to be -3C and overcast all winter.

Which while optimal, would be kind of depressing.

mtbr member
    feels like march out there.
    hope to get some use with the snow shoes.
    Team Van Go

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Damn, it is weird weather isn't it? I rode yesterday and Sunday and both times it was just below zero. You do need to get out early though, since the sun DOES MELT the frozen mud if given half a chance.

I don't much care for winters but I would like to NEED my ice spikers for at least one ride. Perhaps we'll get hit with some freezing rain, and if not I'll just stick to the 29er.
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Not big on snow but would be cool to try my new hakka 300's.. Is there allot of riders running studs in Durham Forest? will be my first year if the snow ever comes lol.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb-r View Post
    Not big on snow but would be cool to try my new hakka 300's.. Is there allot of riders running studs in Durham Forest? will be my first year if the snow ever comes lol.
    Great tires. I got a set last year. You still need to remember you're on ice. It's kind of like walking on ice. Try to run, or stop to fast and you will slide. Same with the studded tires. You can spin the rear easily, you can't go up a steep icy grade, but you have enough grip to not fall down if you're smart about it. Riding around on sheer ice is fun.

I actually enjoy riding in the snow. Particularly when it's still falling and the only other tracks in the snow are from the odd rabbit or deer. I haven't ridden in the snow at DF or WW, only the local trails (to me) in West Duffins Creek valley.

sock puppet
    you need studded tires for ice. don't really help in snow...

we've been riding every winter - Hilton Falls and Agreement Forest, with odd drive to Durham Forest... Just regular tires - bigger volume so that they can be run at lower pressures... I've been using Rocket Rons, but prefer Racing Ralphs rear and Spesh Purgatory front...

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    you need studded tires for ice. don't really help in snow...

we've been riding every winter - Hilton Falls and Agreement Forest, with odd drive to Durham Forest... Just regular tires - bigger volume so that they can be run at lower pressures... I've been using Rocket Rons, but prefer Racing Ralphs rear and Spesh Purgatory front...
    True studs are for ice and tread is for snow.. but with temperatures constantly above and below freezing in southern Ontario ice & snow go hand in hand..

For me I got studed becauseI just did not want hit an ice patch on single track and face plant into a tree.. I figure the studs would give me a little extra insurance.. maybe it's not needed...

ups and downs
    Came across this video Dear Toronto #8 - Toronto Ice Race - YouTube

Who needs snow or even frozen lakes. Like short track speed skating on bikes
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb-r View Post
    For me I got studed becauseI just did not want hit an ice patch on single track and face plant into a tree.. I figure the studs would give me a little extra insurance.. maybe it's not needed...
    99% of the time studs aren't needed. However, you'll be glad you have them when it's icy.

I wrapped myself around a wooden bridge precisely because of ice hidden under a layer of snow. The bridge is at the bottom of a steep short hill. The front brake wasn't a good idea.

Two winters back there were numerous days where studs would have been nice. On one of those rides two of my buddies crashed and one broke his bike in the process. Only the fat bikes were doing good.

I don't like how brutally slow the studs are, nor do I trust them on rocks, but I'd rather use them than have a stupid fall and break a wrist or ankle. I'm just not that skilled.

As I've said, if it isn't icy I'll ride the 29er instead. The Racing Ralph, Ardent combo works really well in snow.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

I <3 29ers
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    Came across this video Dear Toronto #8 - Toronto Ice Race - YouTube

Who needs snow or even frozen lakes. Like short track speed skating on bikes
    Oh damn THANKS! My wallet didn't need that!

Looks like an awesome fun time, though.

So it looks like i'll be trying that and Joyride this winter. Cool.
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies.

Workin for the weekend!
    Studs seem to get some kind of excited... By excited I mean, the bad excited, not the good excited...