Thread: Epic Owners..

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Epic Owners..

How do you find your Specialized Epic as an all around trail bike for the regular Ontario trails/conditions? I know it's a great race bike, but I'm trying to get an idea of how well it stands up the rest of the time when you're just riding the usual trails we all ride around South/Central Ontario. Would you only recommend it to a regular racer?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by McGuillicuddy
    How do you find your Specialized Epic as an all around trail bike for the regular Ontario trails/conditions? I know it's a great race bike, but I'm trying to get an idea of how well it stands up the rest of the time when you're just riding the usual trails we all ride around South/Central Ontario. Would you only recommend it to a regular racer?
    Yes, I would only recommend it to a regular racer. In my opinion, there are much better bikes out there to enjoy riding with, that can also handle some occasional racing.

My idea of fun on a bike right now is long rides, lots of climbing and trying to ride any piece of singletrack at mach chicken. Just what the epic is build for and I love it..

I ride everything around find it a great bike, except I've found my epic to be pretty sketchy in places like Hilton, buckwallow. Alot has to do with my set up. But given that the 5 inch, sub 30 lb FS category is just loaded with bikes it's hard to argue with them unless you are planning on racing seriously.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I would suggest the Epic as an all around trail bike. I haven't found too many trails in Ontario where I would have wanted a bigger bike. (Quebec is a different story).
    Yes, it is a race bike, so it is going to be quick, but from my experience with race dual suspension bikes, it's one of the more stable bikes I've found. I'm sure a great deal of this is attributed to the low bottom bracket height (which can also be one of it's greatest downfalls when trail riding).
    Another thing to keep in mind with the Epic is the Brain shock - a couple clicks on the Brain fade and you've gone from a full firm platform to a fully active rear end (utilizing one of the only true 4 bar linkages on the market).
    Just my 2 cents.

mtbr member
    I ride all around Ontario on a Rocky Instinct (same as a element) and a Trek Top Fuel. They are super efficient, but aren't very plush. If you're looking for something to go fast, the Epic probably will be very nice, but if you don't race, I'd get something with around 5" of travel and a plush rear end.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    If you will be using your bike mainly for trail riding you could also consider the stumpjumper FSR. It's still fairly light, it give you more travel than the epic and is good enough for racing. I currently ride/race a stumpy fsr 29er with the brain and it does a great job on all trail at all time.

You should really try one, 4" travel and 29" wheel make it a great endurance race bike and at 27.5lbs you won't be able to use the bike as an excuse for not performing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks for the input everybody. I do race occasionally but not very seriously (24hr Chico races, Wed night King, etc.). It sounds like that if racing is a priority and you can only afford 1 bike then the Epic may be the way to go. But if racing is secondary to a good all-round bike then there are better choices (like a Stumpy or maybe an ETSX or something like that).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by McGuillicuddy
    Thanks for the input everybody. I do race occasionally but not very seriously (24hr Chico races, Wed night King, etc.). It sounds like that if racing is a priority and you can only afford 1 bike then the Epic may be the way to go. But if racing is secondary to a good all-round bike then there are better choices (like a Stumpy or maybe an ETSX or something like that).
    I just built up a ETSX for the gf. It's a bit small for me, but with the rp3 on low, the rear end is plenty plush! It pedals almost as well as an Element too.

Economy Stimulator
    Sep 2004
    I vote for the Ellsworth truth...but i'm kinda biased now. the way it handles is out of this world. I haven't raced it yet but i can only imagine good things...i'm taking her to Bromont on sunday and then a week in Vermont and will report back in.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    There are more versatile bikes out there than the epic. I would stick to the 4 inch bikes if you want to do some racing, or go with a light 5 inch trailbike if you dont want to race at all/once in a blue moon. For 4 inch bikes several good choices have already been mentioned, but I would like to add the giant anthem X to your consideration. Plenty travel and plush enough for pretty much all that regular trail riding in southern ontario has to offer, but a great race bike if you set the suspension a little firmer. I ride the original anthem (3.5 inches rear, 80 mm in front) as my xc race bike as well as for general trail riding, but would probably go to an anthem X if I stopped racing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I agree with beereppc, the Anthem X should be on your short-list if you're looking at 4" travel bikes to pull dual-duty. I test-rode both the Anthem X and Trance X a few months ago and loved both of them, ended up with the Trance X because it felt a little more forgiving to me and I preferred the more upright body position.

If you're still looking at the epic, MBA has a review of the '09 Epic Expert in their August issue and they're toting it as a solid all-around if you don't need more than 4" of travel...