mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Emily Batty Fans

If you missed her interview on Global yesterday here it is.

Sorry guys, but she is now married.

http://globalnews.ca/video/1455456/b...-championships
    "By Your Command"

Is it winter yet?
    May 2007
    More to the point, you've got me thinking of going to Hardwood with my daughter so she could have a chance to meet Emily. My daughter is so tentative on a bike. It would be great for her to see a Canadian girl doing great on the world stage, and all the other great women cyclists as well.

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by chansen View Post
    More to the point, you've got me thinking of going to Hardwood with my daughter so she could have a chance to meet Emily. My daughter is so tentative on a bike. It would be great for her to see a Canadian girl doing great on the world stage, and all the other great women cyclists as well.
    It's not to late for you to sign up for the Try an Ocup race on SUnday morning either...could be the scene of your return to the race scene and we'd all be glad to have you back
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    What trails were they on? Looks fun!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    She usually rides around the Durham Forest area when she is in town. We've talked to each other a couple of times, but she mostly tells me that she "is passing to my left!"

Don't recognize what trail they were on though in that interview.

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend.
    "By Your Command"

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Thank you Emily fans for waving the big flag with the "Go Emily" written on it. It was apparently the only motivation needed for Catherine Pendrel to drop the hammer.
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

Depression...can eat a sack of manure and die.

Chicken or egg? Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    Thank you Emily fans for waving the big flag with the "Go Emily" written on it. It was apparently the only motivation needed for Catherine Pendrel to drop the hammer.
    Happy thoughts and advice of the day from Enduramil ; don't ever cheer for an athlete, especially of the hometown variety.

Congrats to Catharine for another national title, Emily with a great silver, Sandra with the bronze and everyone else who competed.
    Nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    Happy thoughts and advice of the day from Enduramil ; don't ever cheer for an athlete, especially of the hometown variety.
    Happy to thank those who helped.

And we need to also acknowledge the great Geoff Kabush who as of today has set the new standard.
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

Depression...can eat a sack of manure and die.

ups and downs
    I had the impression that the flag didn't factor into the strategy...

Pendrel's husband, Keith Wilson, commented that his wife has only one race tactic, that being to "Grip it and rip it". That plan was in full effect, as the former world champion was at the front forcing the pace, but Batty was able to follow, seemingly without difficulty.

Early on lap three of the five-lap race Batty did move into the lead, allowing Pendrel both respite and insight into her fellow competitor: "Emily's a very strong rider. She's a very skilled rider. I expected that she was going to be there for at least two laps. When she went to the front during the third lap I got to see a little bit more of where she was at. We could hear each other breathing so we both knew we were working hard, but when I was following I felt like I had a little bit more and I used that to my advantage. I made a move that I hoped would be decisive and it was."

"She hit it with two-and-a-half laps from bottom to top on the longest climb, and I was able to hang on to that," said Batty, "but it did take a bit of a match because I knew she was going to pin it, and I was able to hang on to that. I was able to get around her and tried to counter, but she hung on to that and came back around. It was super-eventful, but she just wore me down little by little."

Initially only a handful of seconds, the gap grew steadily as the race wound down. Keeping the pressure on, Pendrel rode to her fifth national title.

"My offense is better than my defense," commented Pendrel post-race. "I find I'm in a better headspace when I'm dictating the pace, so that's what I was doing today. I just had to have faith in my fitness that eventually the pace would be too hard and Emily might not be able to go with me, and if she could go with me to the end of the race then I was just going to have to be smart and choose a moment to make a decisive move. Luckily, the offensive tactic worked."
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    You mean this flag?

Thanks for the race report everyone! And congrats to Catherine!
    "By Your Command"

All my faucets is Moen.
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    Pendrel's husband, Keith Wilson, commented that his wife has only one race tactic, that being to "Grip it and rip it"....
    I was in the feedzone, essentially at the bottom of the flag, watching with Kika's dad and this race was great to watch. They were wheel to wheel, full gas the entire race. Well until the last lap anyway.

Also, besides the "8 titles standard" Kabush set the "close a 30sec gap in 2km standard". Incredible to watch. The confidence it must take to let a rider get 40sec in front of you knowing (believing) that you can close the gap in the last 2 laps.

Is it winter yet?
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    It's not to late for you to sign up for the Try an Ocup race on SUnday morning either...could be the scene of your return to the race scene and we'd all be glad to have you back
    Hey, I've been out most Tuesdays. Saw you at the start line a couple of weeks ago. Meant to say hi after the race, but couldn't find you.

Ended up being busy that Sunday. Would have overruled my wife if my daughter had wanted to go, but she refused. I'll be back in greater force next year - this year sucks. We'll see about the daughter and crushing her cautious side.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    See, You are hard to find!