Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    If you hurt in your efforts and suffer painful dings. Then you are doing it right.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I HATE e-bikes.
    No license required, no insurance needed and yet they act like they are a motorized vehicle... Only they have no responsibility so they are a danger on the road.
    If they are to be considered a motorized vehicle or a limited speed motorcycle on the road they should have to 100% follow all the rules. That means NO filtering at red lights or deciding to use a bike lane and then back out in to traffic whenever it's convenient for them.
    If I filter to the front of the line at a red light on my motorcycle then I at least can be gone across the intersection before most cars are on the gas... An e-bike just becomes another hazard to avoid.

I've seen the operators make too many stupid moves on these things. When they first came out I thought they were a great idea.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by WTR388 View Post
    I HATE e-bikes.
    No license required, no insurance needed and yet they act like they are a motorized vehicle... Only they have no responsibility so they are a danger on the road.
    If they are to be considered a motorized vehicle or a limited speed motorcycle on the road they should have to 100% follow all the rules. That means NO filtering at red lights or deciding to use a bike lane and then back out in to traffic whenever it's convenient for them.
    If I filter to the front of the line at a red light on my motorcycle then I at least can be gone across the intersection before most cars are on the gas... An e-bike just becomes another hazard to avoid.

I've seen the operators make too many stupid moves on these things. When they first came out I thought they were a great idea.
    I would suggest (to paraphrase VY's comments elsewhere) that these are all comments that could be made by motorists about cyclists. We should tread carefully on this subject.

I too have some strong biases against e-bike riders - but I continually question myself on why I have those biases. On a bike I am generally faster and quieter than they are, so it can't be their speed or sneakiness. The ones I see are usually traveling in a straight line, not really getting in anyone's way (even if that straight(ish) line is along the Martin Goodman). Maybe I should just get over it, and decide to get along.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    thanks for the heads up. I think the ebike phenonenom is just beginning, and will become part of the transportation mix. Hopefully the city can make some smart decisions (but not use up too much of the limited smartness and fark up on transit).

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by smarty View Post
    I would suggest (to paraphrase VY's comments elsewhere) that these are all comments that could be made by motorists about cyclists. We should tread carefully on this subject.

I too have some strong biases against e-bike riders - but I continually question myself on why I have those biases. On a bike I am generally faster and quieter than they are, so it can't be their speed or sneakiness. The ones I see are usually traveling in a straight line, not really getting in anyone's way (even if that straight(ish) line is along the Martin Goodman). Maybe I should just get over it, and decide to get along.
    I sure don't view cyclists and e-bikers the same. Most cyclists that take to the city streets are somewhat fit and "skilled" in the workings of city cycling. Some of them can keep up to traffic with ease and know they are hard to see so they ride defensively. These e-bikers have a false sense of security and safety, and it probably has to do with the fact they have a "machine" they are riding on, instead of 25lbs of self propelled bike.

I did my first ever downtown city bike ride last weekend. You have to have your eyes peeled even more than you do being on a motorcycle. Car doors opening, pedestrians expecting you to stop as they come out between cars, moving vehicles not giving you much space etc. At least on a pedal bike you're nimble, not like those e-bikes!

sheep in FOX clothing
    There are way, way bigger problems out there. But since we are talking about these guys, I will spill. My gripes are twofold:

1. They enjoy the 20mph cruise speed of a frequent cyclist without actually having to be frequent cyclists. So they have all the speed of "one of us" without having spent the time in the saddle, and learning the ropes of bike physics. Hence they can be a combination of speed and inexperience rarely seen on 2 wheels.

2. Even for those who seem to have control, something about the ability to sustain said cruising speed with a twist of the wrist seems to allow them to ignore those little nagging doubts. So wherever they ride and whatever they do, they ALWAYS do it at 20 mph. Riding on the sidewalk, crossing playgrounds and splashpads, and entering roadways are all things I see cyclists do from time to time, and things that (gasp) I do from time to time. But not at 20mph.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by smarty View Post

Part of the problem with this I have is the general lack of understanding the average human has in Canada on this. And then you ask them to take a survey. Especially when you factor in that thanks to the laws what people think of as being an E Bike has been twisted.

So let us clarify a couple of things. First off this is an eBike by true definition. While it does have a battery it acts as an assist when needed say going up a hill. As if you use only use the battery the charge dies very rapidly.

So you have to still pedal to get the full use and benefit of it's design.

Now this is the twisted version of this ideal. Pic of this version of this taken from the back to give you an idea of the width we are taking. Which if you tried to pedal would torque your knees at the least.

This is also marketed in Canada as an EBike. But in reality it is only in Canada so that one can get around the laws regarding powered vehicles. Which if the chain and cranks where not included would require these to be sold as a powered vehicle. Which under the present laws in Canada requires all sorts of hoops to jump through for the importer. and then licensing and insurance from those who own one. Just like if you owned a Vespa.

And supposedly these things can go only about 30KMH. Buffalo Chips...cut off the governer and you can cruise the Lakeshore path at about 40KMH. These versions are nothing more then an electric Scooter modified to take advantage of a loop hole in our laws. And in the rest of the world this is what they are viewed as. An electric version of this,

Ugh.
    If you hurt in your efforts and suffer painful dings. Then you are doing it right.

mtbr member
    +1 @ Enduramil. Lets not get caught up in petty rivalries that come with being passed by an Ebike or by guys going as fast one, though they have put no time for the fitness. It is not about any of that. I think that Ebikes are a great alternate way to commute and two people at my work use them. They are new and laws, etiquette and common sense toward these have not fully developed. A power assisted bike and one of the beefier scooter types are completely different animals. I rode one of those scooter types and they are way stable and predictable. No different from a regular scooter really. I agree that there should be some licensing and maybe a new category has to be created to cover these. You can have weight, wheel style, power output, speed and so on as the new criteria.